Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I also just remembered I run K760s on my crf 250 as well. They are a pretty good tire for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

M42 posted:

Is a 90->120 profile jump even possible though 🤔

Oh,

For some reason i thought it was a TTR230. Yeah I got nothing for that.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just got a set of front and rear Artrax SE3's and front and rear heavy-duty tubes off of Motosport.com for $100. We'll see how well they perform, but gently caress it, for $100 they'll at least be better than my clapped out Dunlops.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

quiet spark arrested biek

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Interesting damage, how'd you do that?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

Interesting damage, how'd you do that?

No damage! I just took off the right side numberplate to install a spark arrested silencer, which I need for compliance with timekeeping enduros. They actually poke a stick in there to make sure it has one at tech.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Did an enduro yesterday. One of only 3 people who finished in my ability class. Today I feel like I fell down an escalator.

Wish I had more pix but my gasline started leaking just after signup so I ran around like a crazy person borrowing poo poo to replace it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Thoughts?

http://enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/2692-product-polisport-s-clear-plastics

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

no

Also, as soon as they get scratched they're going to be awful.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, a few scratches and that inlaid layer of dirt that you can just never wash off and they'll look like poo poo.

Plus, there isn't really anything interesting to see under dirt bike plastics.

Part of me can't help but like it just because its different. I'd rather look at that then another blinged out energy drink sticker set on a bike that's bouncing off the rev limiter on the line

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I had a great start on Sunday (I'm 512).

It was crucial, because it was dusty and tight. Unfortunately, about 1 mile in, an out of control person struck me and took us both out. I'm fine today, but 10 minutes of riding on Sunday wasn't my plan.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I say do it. It’ll just look cool when they’re all beat up.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I had a great start on Sunday (I'm 512).

It was crucial, because it was dusty and tight. Unfortunately, about 1 mile in, an out of control person struck me and took us both out. I'm fine today, but 10 minutes of riding on Sunday wasn't my plan.

At least you got a cool photo out of it! Why did you let a noob get ahead of you ;)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ill ask here because my trip is going to be nearly all dirt. My girlfriend and I are planning on doing the Transamerica trail next summer. What would be a “good” dual sport for two up riding on the dirt trails going west (minimal to no camping) and mostly asphalt touring on the way back with more trail adventuring in the deserts. The motorcycle would mostly be used for commuting and some east coast canyon carving on the way back. Some of the super tough trails on the TAT we would probably skip as well.

I was looking at F800 GSA’s but I’m not too eager for the popular european reliability roulette, but I’ve heard BMW has been getting better??? Twin Africa has passed my mind as well. I currently have a FZ-09 that I adore but I’m fairly certain it wouldnt be as easy as pushing TKC-80s on it and going to town, as well I have a drz sm but I dont feel like it will be an enjoyable ride with two people and gear as much as I love the bike and as great as it is. Also no, she doesnt want to learn to ride (trust me I’ve tried to convince her to take the MSF.) If such a unicorn exists, please advise. Thanks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ill ask here because my trip is going to be nearly all dirt. My girlfriend and I are planning on doing the Transamerica trail next summer. What would be a “good” dual sport for two up riding on the dirt trails going west (minimal to no camping) and mostly asphalt touring on the way back with more trail adventuring in the deserts. The motorcycle would mostly be used for commuting and some east coast canyon carving on the way back. Some of the super tough trails on the TAT we would probably skip as well.

I was looking at F800 GSA’s but I’m not too eager for the popular european reliability roulette, but I’ve heard BMW has been getting better??? Twin Africa has passed my mind as well. I currently have a FZ-09 that I adore but I’m fairly certain it wouldnt be as easy as pushing TKC-80s on it and going to town, as well I have a drz sm but I dont feel like it will be an enjoyable ride with two people and gear as much as I love the bike and as great as it is. Also no, she doesnt want to learn to ride (trust me I’ve tried to convince her to take the MSF.) If such a unicorn exists, please advise. Thanks.

How heavy are you combined? Could look at one of the total 650 singles from BMW. Or a DR650.

What’s your budget and how fast do you want to go and how good are you at riding on dirt? You can do the TAT on any dual sport from what I’ve read/seen if you’re decent on the dirt.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Were both 300lbs so 330-50ish with full gear maybe? Budget tops about 15k and were planning on the 200miles a day route. Im pretty okay on dirt but I wont be winning any podiums anytime soon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Were both 300lbs so 330-50ish with full gear maybe? Budget tops about 15k and were planning on the 200miles a day route. Im pretty okay on dirt but I wont be winning any podiums anytime soon.

So really it’s just a question of how fast you want to go. Anything 650+ will do for you. I suppose it also matters how comfortable you want to be, because you really could do it on a dr650, but an Africa twin or ktm adventure bike (or, god forbid, a 1200gs) would probably be more comfortable for your girlfriend and a lot faster on he vast majority of it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Actually I just had an idea, what is exactly stopping me from putting front forks from a drz or whatever, beefier shock on the back (and the clearance those would add) and adding some crashbars, skid plates, tires, etc to the FZ-09 and going to town?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Doing the TAT 2 up sounds rough.

Not entirely a comedy answer, but KLR650? VStrom? The aforementioned AT, or a Super Tenere? I can't imagine attempting it on anything without some plush suspension and a wide seat.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How much offroad riding experience do you have?

Anything beyond mild dirt roads sounds miserable 2 up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I dunno what TAT is, but 2 up in any real dirt situation sounds bad. Over the years for one reason or another we've had to do 2 up when deep in the woods, and even logging roads are terrible.

If TAT is really just a dirt road, I'd just go farkled V Strom and maybe put springs in it. If it's more difficult than a dirt road, I'd get your lady on a XT250 or Super Sherpa or whatever and just deal with the learning curve.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
lol 2 up on the TAT sounds like a good recipe for death unless you're just going to skip every cool part and your idea of TAT is just the gravel roads in between

especially if the weight makes you lose traction/fall on something like Ophir Pass

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ADVRider would be the real place for this advice, after you wade through all the "get a 1250GS." There's a handful of 2up TAT reports.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ride a lightweight bike and have your GF drive an offroad capable Jeep or something similar as a sag wagon. If you insist on doing two up, get out there and put a few days in doing offroad 2up before you actually start the trail.

Given that you're contemplating putting DRZ forks on your FZ09 and a longer shock, I've gotta really question if you're qualified to do this ride (don't do this it won't work).

Edit: 200 miles per day offroad is totally unrealistic as well.

Edit2: IRC is telling me to encourage you to try to modify your FZ09 and go that route for the comedy. So I change all my answers. Please just make a thread about all of it so you can prove me wrong.

n8r fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2017

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I’ve already got the forks half way off :(

Edit: Kidding. I’m just gonna buy an AT or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dirt is miserable two up. If you’re going to do this, used 1190 adventure should be your stead of choice, respring it for two up and you might survive with your relationship intact.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Make a thread when you start on this trip. We can have a pool for how far you will make it and which tendon in your knee you tear first trying to stop a slow speed drop with your GF on the back.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Into the Wild 2

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

*as far as I know* there are multiple routes depending on how aggressive the trail you want to ride is, most of the videos and pictures I’ve seen have been gravel roads with some dual track, im most assuredly not going to attempt to climb 45 degree inclines with a fully loaded bike . Yes I know, two up dirt riding sounds really dumb and dangerous (because it is)and I would never put myself or my girlfriend in (extreme) danger. The original plan was just to do a road trip across the states with some cool sightseeing up trails and whatnot and I thought doing the majority of the TAT would be a fun and interesting experience.

n8r posted:

Make a thread when you start on this trip. We can have a pool for how far you will make it and which tendon in your knee you tear first trying to stop a slow speed drop with your GF on the back.

Im saving tearing my tendons for when I inevitably forget the kickstand.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

So have you ever ridden two up off-road? You should just do the road trip thing and if you want to do it on an adv bike, go for it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Just posting some thoughts for ya'll.

I had the chance now to put about 3 hours on a 2017 KTM 250XC. This is the two stroke with the counter balanced engine and mikuni carb. Specifically, I've now twice done back-to-back rides from my '16 YZ250X to this '17 250XC. First time was rocky leaf covered trail, the second time was a 0.5 mile mud course in a field. My YZ has revalved suspension, and the 250XC has $$$ factory connection suspension with a spring conversion in the front forks. Rider weights are the same, and ability levels very similar.

First of all, the ergonomics between the bike is very similar. The YZ is narrower for sure, but the handlebar and footpeg placement wrt seat height is so similar I can't tell a difference. Clutch pull is roughly the same. I run my brakes on the YZ250X very twitchy. KTM brakes are normally the best in the biz (for stopping power, their rear brakes are hot garbage for maintenance), but the trails were so slippery I couldn't tell in these two rides.

The counterbalanced KTM engine is very strange. It feels like being on an electric bike with a two stroke sound playing on the speaker. It's super cool. A+. I found the gearing to be spaced very close together on the XC. This was a real shock coming from the YZ250X. I just sit in 2nd and 3rd on the YZ for all purposes, the KTM you shift constantly. The KTM clearly has more power too. In my case, I don't really like that, but it's there for your AA rippers. it builds in a very linear fashion, so you won't freak out and flip over.

Finally, the biggest difference is the YZ is raked out compared to the XC. This is a personal preference thing, but it makes a huge difference for handling. The YZ is significantly more stable over chop, likely due to it's higher spec suspension and rake. They turn in about the same, but the XC felt like it gripped a bit better in the muddy slippery flat corners.

All in all, the 250 XC is a very nice machine, despite the insane price. I'll probably look at one when they go FI to replace the YZ250X.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Z3n posted:

Dirt is miserable two up. If you’re going to do this, used 1190 adventure should be your stead of choice, respring it for two up and you might survive with your relationship intact.

My girl rides on the back of my 990 adventure as often as she can. I'm a tall fat rear end and she's not huge but not a twig either. We've done two up stuff off road loaded with luggage and it is actually pretty easy for me to pilot and for her to ride, all things considering.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice goons. I’ve got a few tens of hours bombing around her parents farm on my DRZ so i’m fairly competent for myself at least, and we’ve done ~100 ish hours two up. I went for an Africa Twin DCT. My girlfriend and I test rode it for an hour at the dealer up skyline drive and back and we both really enjoyed it. Even if we have to skip a few of the harder passes we can just pay someone to drive us up so we can still enjoy the view.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

kenny powerzzz posted:

My girl rides on the back of my 990 adventure as often as she can. I'm a tall fat rear end and she's not huge but not a twig either. We've done two up stuff off road loaded with luggage and it is actually pretty easy for me to pilot and for her to ride, all things considering.

On single track?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Walmart parking lots are not roads, hence off-road.

I feel like this tat trip was mostly an excuse to buy a bike which is cool. Then you go buy a dct? Shame.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

GriszledMelkaba posted:

On single track?

Hell no. Forrest roads with mud and some water crossings and stuff like that. In the Tennessee mountains. But no, no single. But if we were to take it slow I don't think it would be a problem. I also don't think it would be enjoyable.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

DCT is fine and fun :shrug:. Still has flappy paddles if I want to use manual mode, the only thing I need to get used to is slow speed turning when you usually feather the clutch but I think judical use of the back brake is required.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DCT is fine and fun :shrug:. Still has flappy paddles if I want to use manual mode, the only thing I need to get used to is slow speed turning when you usually feather the clutch but I think judical use of the back brake is required.

Please post your trip report here instead of advrider when you go.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Some pix from the weekend:

Me and my buddy Dave. This is Dave's first race. Dave has 0 motorcycle experience and 10h of dirtbike experience. We don't think Dave will survive. Also here is my buddy Tom (behind the camera), and my domestic life partner Anna. There were about 110 people in this race.

I wish I could say this was a holeshot. I kept 2nd place the whole race. The guy that got 1st got the overall as well, and he was 4-5 minutes faster than everyone each lap. The guy was a monster, and should probably have regg'd as pro or A or something.

Testing the waters. This was not the accepted line. I went this way because there were gaggles of people stuck in the real line. Experimentation is often bad.

Made it, mostly.

Blissful grass track. I was running very soft suspension because the woods was a rock fest

I ended up 8th OA (about 75 people in the contested race, remaining non-classed, seniors, sportsman make 110) and 2nd in my class. I would have been between 2-4 but I threw it all away in lap 2. I had a 4(!) minute advantage I lost because I got stuck on a nasty, nasty hill, and had to try it twice again. Such is life.

Dave made 3 laps and is hooked. I can't believe he did that. This track was a nightmare.

We have 3-4 helmet cams worth of footage to download and edit. I'll post when its done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
good job Dave.

nice mudbutte