Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, he also spent basically his entire life as a contrarian without any real belief system of his own. He jumped from radical left (Marxism and Trotskyism) to radical right (Nazism), which is one hell of a swing.
Its easy to understand if he never believed/knew about the underlying ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

rudatron posted:

I'm...skeptical...about the whole 'uber troll -> nazism' narrative, for one because it's inherently self-contradictory. You don't reach nazism from a place of ironic detachment, you reach it form the neurotic obsession over the possible threat posed by an Other, for which the only acceptable answer is their death. That's about as 'triggered' as you can get.

One of the therapists mentioned in that article called enoch 'as vulnerable as a peeled grape.', and I think that's more on the money - he's an intensely paranoid person, and the whole irony maneuver isn't a description of what he is, but what he wants to be - a personal fantasy stemming from a wounded ego, possibly mixed in with some self-aggrandizing bullshit ("everyone else is like a religious zealot, but not me, the nazi" is like peak self-serving bullshit from someone incapable of self-reflection).

there was a gently caress load of the equivalent of irony-posting and trolling during the rise of the actual Nazis

but you're the dude who thinks its all tumblr's fault lmao so why am i postin facts @ u

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

temple posted:

Its easy to understand if he never believed/knew about the underlying ideology.

Like I said, I think that's what got him to become a Nazi. He was searching for an explanation for life, but was too lazy to put any effort into learning beyond a Wikipedia summary of his new belief system (the article mentions that he did well in school when he cared about the subject, but he would ignore classes that didn't interest him or if he didn't like the teacher). White supremacy provided an easy explanation: white people are inherently superior.

It's also hard to disprove, at least in his eyes. You could show him all the evidence proving him wrong, but he wouldn't understand it well enough to read it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A third person was just arrested. Did Alex Jones get a legitimate scoop here?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

business hammocks posted:

A third person was just arrested. Did Alex Jones get a legitimate scoop here?

I think so. But it's the Gates part that got me. People predicted Manafort but they also predicted the Flynns, I had not heard anyone else mention Gates' name before today.

Gorilla mindset magic cum Mike had a White House source. Trump has been on Info Wars and reportedly talks to Jones on the phone.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Like I said, I think that's what got him to become a Nazi. He was searching for an explanation for life, but was too lazy to put any effort into learning beyond a Wikipedia summary of his new belief system (the article mentions that he did well in school when he cared about the subject, but he would ignore classes that didn't interest him or if he didn't like the teacher). White supremacy provided an easy explanation: white people are inherently superior.

It's also hard to disprove, at least in his eyes. You could show him all the evidence proving him wrong, but he wouldn't understand it well enough to read it.

That's because it really isn't about facts with more of these people than folks want to admit, it's about having a social group, perhaps for the first time in their lives. A lot of these socially isolated, extremely online idiots started with no core political/social beliefs, and just drifted instead towards whatever group offered them social validation. It's why you get stories of folks going from extremely woke leftism to far-right chud.

They start by seeing people getting pats on the back for being woke, so they join in, and get the same validation, which creates a positive feedback loop. However, problems start because they don't care about the ideology they're spouting, so they inevitably say the wrong thing one too many times and everyone eventually catches on that they're phonies, so they jump into the waiting arms of the far-right, who love a good story about liberals getting "red pilled".

Getting these a lot of idiots to stop being Nazis isn't about challenging their Nazi beliefs, it's about breaking up their social group, getting them kicked off of platforms, breaking up rallies, shouting down speeches, punching them in the mouth, etc. Once it isn't a social thing anymore, they'll drift off to something else.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

nopantsjack posted:

there was a gently caress load of the equivalent of irony-posting and trolling during the rise of the actual Nazis

but you're the dude who thinks its all tumblr's fault lmao so why am i postin facts @ u
My hypothesis wasn't that nazi's aren't 'trolling', but that the narrative presented, of nazism as a slippery slope from being Too Cool For School, is a post-hoc rationalization, created by these people (something that the subjects themselves believe, or rather, have to believe, but that's not true). In reality, the facade of irony is there just to deflect criticism and justify anti-social behavior, to others, but also to themselves.

Look at the juxtaposition: Everyone else is simultaneously 'crazy' (for getting 'triggered' about jokes about genocide) but also 'stupid' (for not getting 'triggered' about the totes real white genocide).

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I also don't think "it's caused by tumblr", but when enoch suggests that woke liberalism can't explain racial disparities, he's correct. It can't.

Where he's wrong is in saying that marxism doesn't.

Contemporary liberalism assumes capitalism is a meritocracy, and the only change 'woke' liberalism makers, is positing racism/sexism/badisms, are 'perturbations' of an otherwise perfect system, which we could all solve if we joined hands and sang loving kum-ba-yah.

But you can't reconcile that the systemic nature of poverty and, in particular, how real world data contradicts the myth of total social mobility, ie, "slavery is over, why are blacks still poor?". The only way to accept that, and not end up breaking the legitimizing myths of capitalism, is to introduce notions of inherent superiority/inferiority, which you use to retroactively justify whatever social problems you run into.

And so you end up with this balancing act, that all contemporary liberals have to do, between morally justifying The Market, and not touching any of the third-rails that are the excesses of The Market.

But marxism doesn't have to worry about any of that trash. History is class conflict. Race is part of the modern american class system. It's not ancient history, it's here, today.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

rudatron posted:

I'm...skeptical...about the whole 'uber troll -> nazism' narrative, for one because it's inherently self-contradictory. You don't reach nazism from a place of ironic detachment, you reach it form the neurotic obsession over the possible threat posed by an Other, for which the only acceptable answer is their death. That's about as 'triggered' as you can get.

One of the therapists mentioned in that article called enoch 'as vulnerable as a peeled grape.', and I think that's more on the money - he's an intensely paranoid person, and the whole irony maneuver isn't a description of what he is, but what he wants to be - a personal fantasy stemming from a wounded ego, possibly mixed in with some self-aggrandizing bullshit ("everyone else is like a religious zealot, but not me, the nazi" is like peak self-serving bullshit from someone incapable of self-reflection).

Nick Mullen claims that Weev doesn't actually believe in anything deep down. He's just a man who's brain has been broken by contrarianism, even the swastika tattoo is just a means to an end on that front.

Knowing other broke brained trolls, I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't mean that for all intents and purposes he's a Nazi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does it really matter? I imagine plenty of Nazis past and present were never bothered about the ideology's depths, when it's just an excuse to band together, feel good and hurt people you don't like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t that the historical explanation for where fascism came from? That it’s not especially coherent but speaks to the emotional needs of a bunch of economic losers who can only despair and feel cheated?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does it really matter? I imagine plenty of Nazis past and present were never bothered about the ideology's depths, when it's just an excuse to band together, feel good and hurt people you don't like.

Dreddout posted:

Doesn't mean that for all intents and purposes he's a Nazi

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

I think so. But it's the Gates part that got me. People predicted Manafort but they also predicted the Flynns, I had not heard anyone else mention Gates' name before today.

Gorilla mindset magic cum Mike had a White House source. Trump has been on Info Wars and reportedly talks to Jones on the phone.

jones is also friendly with roger stone so he has a few potential sources of legit info on what's happening which is hosed up but that's 2017 for you

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

Nick Mullen claims that Weev doesn't actually believe in anything deep down. He's just a man who's brain has been broken by contrarianism, even the swastika tattoo is just a means to an end on that front.

Knowing other broke brained trolls, I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't mean that for all intents and purposes he's a Nazi

He's literally mad at his mom

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

He's literally mad at his mom

:same:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gatewaypundit/s...er%3D65%23pti23

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

This man's blog has influenced national politics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never seen so many wrong things in one opening sentence of an article, but here we are.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/latinovictoryus/status/924972736996364289?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:popeye:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dreddout posted:

I was already down with bashing the fash before, I just thought that most lefties who weren't we're misguided but well meaning.

Thats not an acceptable excuse anymore, fascism is violence, and it must be repressed as much as possible and practical.

So the reason we should stop it using violence is because it's violence, which is a bad thing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s a supersoldier? Is it like Bionic Commando? He can’t even jump.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

rudatron posted:

My hypothesis wasn't that nazi's aren't 'trolling', but that the narrative presented, of nazism as a slippery slope from being Too Cool For School, is a post-hoc rationalization, created by these people (something that the subjects themselves believe, or rather, have to believe, but that's not true). In reality, the facade of irony is there just to deflect criticism and justify anti-social behavior, to others, but also to themselves.

Look at the juxtaposition: Everyone else is simultaneously 'crazy' (for getting 'triggered' about jokes about genocide) but also 'stupid' (for not getting 'triggered' about the totes real white genocide).

rudatron posted:

I also don't think "it's caused by tumblr", but when enoch suggests that woke liberalism can't explain racial disparities, he's correct. It can't.

Where he's wrong is in saying that marxism doesn't.

Contemporary liberalism assumes capitalism is a meritocracy, and the only change 'woke' liberalism makers, is positing racism/sexism/badisms, are 'perturbations' of an otherwise perfect system, which we could all solve if we joined hands and sang loving kum-ba-yah.

But you can't reconcile that the systemic nature of poverty and, in particular, how real world data contradicts the myth of total social mobility, ie, "slavery is over, why are blacks still poor?". The only way to accept that, and not end up breaking the legitimizing myths of capitalism, is to introduce notions of inherent superiority/inferiority, which you use to retroactively justify whatever social problems you run into.

And so you end up with this balancing act, that all contemporary liberals have to do, between morally justifying The Market, and not touching any of the third-rails that are the excesses of The Market.

But marxism doesn't have to worry about any of that trash. History is class conflict. Race is part of the modern american class system. It's not ancient history, it's here, today.

my nigga u never go full word salad. relax

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Waffle House posted:

my nigga u never go full word salad. relax

Weren't we just making fun of the whole idea that "more words + caring = bad/lose" and "ironic detachment = good/win"?

Shut up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Krang was banned from twitter for tweeting this, clearly the leftist media corporations want to silence brave whistleblowers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

holy poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Isn’t that the historical explanation for where fascism came from? That it’s not especially coherent but speaks to the emotional needs of a bunch of economic losers who can only despair and feel cheated?
There are lot of Weevs who joined up historically but I think most people who went along with it were normal. It might be that because fascism is still pretty fringe, fringe psychos eventually end up there. I dunno.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Lmao they're still talking about the loving knockout game

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Weren't we just making fun of the whole idea that "more words + caring = bad/lose" and "ironic detachment = good/win"?

Shut up.

Hey, gently caress you, I love his handwringing. You shut up. :D

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So the reason we should stop it using violence is because it's violence, which is a bad thing

What? That's gibberish but I'm assuming you're making a dumb "antifa is the real fascist" take

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jack Del Huevos posted:

Lmao they're still talking about the loving knockout game

haha oh lord I totally forgot about that. it's actually amazing how they turned normal muggings into a nefarious anti-white hate crime

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

What’s a supersoldier? Is it like Bionic Commando? He can’t even jump.

It's me. I'm the supersoldier. ama.

https://twitter.com/SemperLiber9/status/925094720505810944

Zeroisanumber has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Oct 30, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also if I were to define fascism it'd be "organicist ultranationalism" or something like that. The one thing I see all these permutations share is that individuals exist in an organic relationship with the nation-state; they are one and the same; so the nation-state should be purified of foreign influence (and rootless Jews) just as the human body should be purified of contaminants.

The Holocaust was, in the fascist imagination, a giant delousing effort. It was about removing parasitism from Germany.

The milk-drinking thing we saw become a Nazi meme a few months ago was silly, but it came out of this idea in Nazi circles that milk-drinking is about purity, wholesomeness and getting in touch with one's Aryan roots. Nazis are hippies in jackboots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy6f_HyuQU

This is a neo-Nazi cooking show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgu5whM65_I

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/925085462510931969

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Also if I were to define fascism it'd be "organicist ultranationalism" or something like that. The one thing I see all these permutations share is that individuals exist in an organic relationship with the nation-state; they are one and the same; so the nation-state should be purified of foreign influence (and rootless Jews) just as the human body should be purified of contaminants.

The Holocaust was, in the fascist imagination, a giant delousing effort. It was about removing parasitism from Germany.

The milk-drinking thing we saw become a Nazi meme a few months ago was silly, but it came out of this idea in Nazi circles that milk-drinking is about purity, wholesomeness and getting in touch with one's Aryan roots. Nazis are hippies in jackboots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy6f_HyuQU

This is a neo-Nazi cooking show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgu5whM65_I

I drink like a gallon of milk a week. I really hope it doesn't suddenly become culturally insensitive because of a bunch of jackasses who made it weird.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Looking haggard around the eyeth there, boyo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dreddout posted:

What? That's gibberish but I'm assuming you're making a dumb "antifa is the real fascist" take

No, I'm saying it's hypocritical to say something is violence, therefore it must be stopped with violence.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gently caress

I thought i was gonna make it through monday without getting owned

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

a bunch of posters have gone up around my neighborhood calling for a protest against fascism on the 4th and im torn between thinking that the local antifa has a sense of humor versus thunkfacing about agent provocateurs false-flagging some poo poo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No, I'm saying it's hypocritical to say something is violence, therefore it must be stopped with violence.

lol literally the most liberal-rear end of takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme