Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HaB posted:

Is Warframe good?

I have reached the point where there's not much left to do in Destiny 2 after the first day of a reset, and was looking for something to scratch that itch.

Warframe looks like a similar idea.

No. Since this isn't the dragging down topic I'll leave it at a few especially great moments;
1. At one point they redesigned the first level/world of the game and made the enemies so hard new players couldn't kill the easiest guys with a full clip from both their guns and would get destroyed by the melee attack while reloading. Then they changed the boss to a really long affair with a ton of adds and invincibility phases that scaled up with the amount of players you have and their gear so if you got help from stronger players suddenly the boss would be literally impossible to kill because it had billions of HP.

The developers got into childish insult-slinging arguments with people who said this wasn't fun and put them off from continuing to play the game, insinuating people just weren't good enough.

2. There were an enemy called "Nervos" that existed solely to stop your movement. The only way to get rid of them was to have a team mate shoot them off of you. No one liked them and eventually the dev team removed them after a long period of constant complaints.

The devs, especially the one who did a lot of the angry defense of the above change, keep trying to bring them back despite no one wanting them.

3. Every warframe has an "ultimate" skill. For around half the frames in the game it's a very long charge up attack that's just an AOE nuke because they couldn't be assed to think of anything else. The devs got very upset when people started building their playstyle around this because it was fun to just wipe out whole rooms at a time.

Their solution was to just remove the invincibility frames from these skills making them utterly useless because you touch that button and anything you're in the range to kill will just shoot you to death before the skill goes off. This made a lot of the frames with that type of skill useless because the reason why people only ever used the ultimate skill was because their other skills were garbage. No effort has been put into redesigning these frames or rebalancing their skills.

EDIT: Oh and relics. You want new stuff? You have to find a relic. To get a relic you have to figure out what stage the one you want drops it and farm that stage until RNG gives you the relic. Then you have to charge that relic by doing other relics. Then you do the relic and hope the game gives you the drop you want. Pretty much everything in Warframe is now locked behind double, triple or even quadrouple RNG and even after you obtain it you still have to craft it which often requires waiting until specific limited time alert missiosn go off a few times each day. Get unlucky and they all occur while you're at work? That's okay, I'm sure they'll happen when you're at home one day.

Anyway, for actual content. In Destiny 2 you can still get critical attacks with your melee punches if you punch a guy in the head. It's a small and kind of silly thing but I love just rushing through a stage and punching every alien in the face and watching their heads explode.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Nuebot posted:

Warframe :words:

Roger that. Thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat Mario Odyssey over the weekend (seriously could not put it down, haven't felt that way in ages about a Mario game) and the final sequence of the game had me grinning like an idiot: possessing Bowser, smashing your way through the inside of the motherfuckin' moon, while a lyrical song straight out of a Sonic Adventures game plays while you carry Peach on your shoulder. It was just such an amazing capstone to the game. Also, finding Yoshi, and his ninja-like movement mechanics.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
If you’re looking for 100% lack of bullshit Warframe has a long way to go before it gets there. But it’s optimised enough to run on a mouldy potato while still giving you pretty graphics, there isn’t much of a p2w aspect in it (so you can reasonably get to the fun stuff without spending a dime if you’re diligent and/or willing to engage in trading), and it’s still a fun game in spite of questionable design decisions.

I’d suggest giving it a try and posting in the Warframe thread in Games for an invite into the goon clan. Even if you’re just on a trial period goons are willing to give you some good stuff which makes the journey to the fun stuff much less onerous.

Pooncha has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Oct 30, 2017

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

My favorite thing in Doki Doki Literature Club: when Monika, having destroyed everyone else in her universe, refers to your character name not being your name and then she calls you by your actual name, which I'm guessing the game obtains via your OS username? I've never been so deeply, thoroughly unsettled by a game and I am grateful for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah that’s your OS name. So that scene didn’t quite land for me since my OS name is different from my name.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

My favorite thing in Doki Doki Literature Club: when Monika, having destroyed everyone else in her universe, refers to your character name not being your name and then she calls you by your actual name, which I'm guessing the game obtains via your OS username? I've never been so deeply, thoroughly unsettled by a game and I am grateful for it.

Damnit, somebody upthread told me to use my real name for added effect. Now I wish I wouldn't have because that would have loving worked on me!

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Oh god it sounds a hundred times worse than when I quit in frustration a year and a half ago.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Warframe isn't that bad. It can be very complex for beginners, it's exceptionally grindy, and there are a few BS things, but overall it's actually a reasonably fun little shooter where you don't run out of things to do or hunt down for a long, long time. It's also about 100x better to play with friends than alone, particularly friends who know how some of the weirder mechanics work. I play pretty casually, but my brother keeps a literal excel spreadsheet of parts he's missing. Beware of old information if you google stuff, there are major, game changing updates fairly often.

Give it a try, since it's free and you'll lose nothing but time if you don't like it. Join the goon clan (read the thread), pick a warframe you think looks cool off the wiki, and go after it. My personal suggestion is Valkyrie or Frost. The starter weapons are intentionally garbage. Buy a new one (suggest boltor or kerek) from the store ASAP and you'll at least triple your damage. Use your starting plat (currency you pay or trade for) for warframe slots. You can turn off Ordis' quips in the menu.

One of my favorite things about the game is how one of the callouts in an enemy language sounds like they're saying something about someone named 'Clem', so they made a character named Clem you can do missions for (sort of).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Probably been mentioned up or down the thread, but Super Mario Odyssey has no time limit in its levels, and death costs you ten coins (which all respawn when you die, I think).

It's so much fun to have no time or significant death penalty.

Oh, and another one: I love that it has an in-game map and list of Moons.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah, I think so;, at that point I thought it was obtained from my Steam profile, but then I checked and I had already scrubbed it. That got me for sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Dead Rising 2, guns don't have their ammo used up when another survivor is using them, so you can have a horde of like seven survivors all unloading on this stupid chef prick who keeps trying to heal himself mid-battle but gets stunlocked every time he tries :unsmigghh:

Also friendly fire does no/negligible damage, so when a survivor screams in panic and puts a buckshot shell in the back of your head, it's hilarious and not enraging :v:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

MisterBibs posted:

Probably been mentioned up or down the thread, but Super Mario Odyssey has no time limit in its levels, and death costs you ten coins (which all respawn when you die, I think).

It's so much fun to have no time or significant death penalty.

Oh, and another one: I love that it has an in-game map and list of Moons.

Are there still green 1-up mushrooms in the game? Lives are an outdated concept and it's good to see them go, but I like the look of them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Are there still green 1-up mushrooms in the game? Lives are an outdated concept and it's good to see them go, but I like the look of them.

There are no mushroom powerups of any variety. Not even Super Mushrooms.

Game is cool as hell and roasting up some real sacred cows, just like BotW did for Zelda.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah that’s your OS name. So that scene didn’t quite land for me since my OS name is different from my name.

I felt like I was one of the rare cased itd work cause I'm a woman so I used a different name for the protagonist. Even though I knew what it was doing immediately it still surprised me.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

If you are streaming, then Monika won't reveal your real name but will instead chide you for bringing an audience that she can't see.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Danaru posted:

In Dead Rising 2, guns don't have their ammo used up when another survivor is using them, so you can have a horde of like seven survivors all unloading on this stupid chef prick who keeps trying to heal himself mid-battle but gets stunlocked every time he tries :unsmigghh:

Also friendly fire does no/negligible damage, so when a survivor screams in panic and puts a buckshot shell in the back of your head, it's hilarious and not enraging :v:

That was in DR1 as well. I was really frustrated trying to move a full house of survivors back to the safe room without them getting picked off one by one. Eventually I discovered if you loaded them all up with guns and ordered them to walk to areas in front of you instead of expecting them to follow they acted like a mobile firebase and would blow the poo poo out of any walkers that got in the way without me even having to join in.

Still doesn't make up for that loving jeep though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

darkwasthenight posted:

Still doesn't make up for that loving jeep though.

Hearing the guitar opening to that song still causes my stomach to drop.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the enemies in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is a Jumpkick Skeleton, a skeleton who does jumpkicks.

Also there are skeleton waiters, and the game lets you sometimes pick up powers from enemies: the power you get from them is throwing hot curry at your enemies.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

moosecow333 posted:

WEEEEEEEELL HE AIN’T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

One time I had my Spotify to just play me songs it would think I'd like. I was walking through the park... :geno:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the opening of Wolfenstein 2 BJ is in a wheelchair and a thing they do is that you can shoot and wheel at the same time but he is just using one arm. So you go slower than when you put the gun away and can use both arms to move.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Came here to post this. I've played tons of horror games, but nothing in Silent Hill, Resident Evil or P.T. has triggered my flight or fight response as hard as an anime girl saying my name.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you are streaming, then Monika won't reveal your real name but will instead chide you for bringing an audience that she can't see.

Then she spooks you.

(I think it just checks for OBS or Xsplit in the process list to handle that effect.)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

It worked opposite for me, because I used my real name as the character name, and my OS name isn't that. Worse, they didn't tell me when I was naming the character that he was explicitly male so it was really weird to have them keep calling this high school boy Catherine.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Shadow of War, you can send your orcs to the fight pits to either get stronger or die.

Some of them seem to have a pretty loose grasp on the idea of sportsmanship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDYq6ux65X4

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

That's actually really considerate of them to avoid that, I don't think I would have thought of it if I had written that bit.

It's really worth sitting through as much of that section as you can before you get bored. Monika has a lot to talk about, just like she promises.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of the enemies in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is a Jumpkick Skeleton, a skeleton who does jumpkicks.

Also there are skeleton waiters, and the game lets you sometimes pick up powers from enemies: the power you get from them is throwing hot curry at your enemies.

The jumpkick skeleton wears a red neck scarf thing and is a deliberate reference to Kamen Rider's signature kick. There's also a powerup you can get that summons a ghost on your back that punches continuously while shouting ORA ORA ORA. Also when you unlock the sword Excalibur, your character can't wield it proper. Instead they swing the legendary sword and the stone it's stuck in. It's not a reference to anything, I just love it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can use that curry in the sequel to get Bigfoot out of hiding and kill him. I think?
The soul capturing thing was such a fun gimmick because of how crazy some of these powers get.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

scarycave posted:

You can use that curry [...] to get Bigfoot out of hiding and kill him.

Post this sentence somewhere out of context and ask people to guess "videogame or paranoid schizophrenic?"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I smell a TLC reality TV show in the works here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Post this sentence somewhere out of context and ask people to guess "videogame or paranoid schizophrenic?"

Someone'll probably answer anime.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

There's a Reddit thread that did all the heavy lifting already and it's dumb.

Ok so my read really only works if you take DDLC as a completely self-contained work with zero other poo poo going on, except as red herring background information that is designed to keep the player chipping away at the "plot" while bad poo poo builds up in the foreground right in front of their eyes.

Since I believe in taking individual works as individual works, I'm standing by it, but goddamn it they're taking a big loving risk putting ~*lore*~ into such a clean little game.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

scarycave posted:

You can use that curry in the sequel to get Bigfoot out of hiding and kill him. I think?
The soul capturing thing was such a fun gimmick because of how crazy some of these powers get.

There's also a boss in the sequel that will copy the last bullet soul used against him. Giving him the curry power is really funny.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

That's actually really considerate of them to avoid that, I don't think I would have thought of it if I had written that bit.

It's really worth sitting through as much of that section as you can before you get bored. Monika has a lot to talk about, just like she promises.
Hahaha, wellllllll. Instead of the name, you get to see just about the only thing Monika can still do in the destroyed world.

Click this if you want to see what it is!

Somfin posted:

Ok so my read really only works if you take DDLC as a completely self-contained work with zero other poo poo going on, except as red herring background information that is designed to keep the player chipping away at the "plot" while bad poo poo builds up in the foreground right in front of their eyes.

Since I believe in taking individual works as individual works, I'm standing by it, but goddamn it they're taking a big loving risk putting ~*lore*~ into such a clean little game.
I personally find it rather amusing that in a game with the defining themes of obsession and lack of free will, people chose to spend a whole heap of time and effort to squeeze the secrets outta the game because they're so obsessed with it

In game, I think the only real mention of it is background poo poo that doesn't mean anything

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Similar happened with Five Nights At Freddys. While there was an on going meta plot, it was significantly simpler (and better) than the convoluted mess it's player base put together.

They really really really want the tutorial guy to be the child murderer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
On the other hand, fnaf's runaway success means that any game even slightly having a creepypasta bent probably should lean into having secret lore just to attempt to get some of that audience.

Seriously, I see more kids wearing FNAF stuff than any other game these rays.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All I know about FnaF is that the book, subtitled "The Silver Eyes" features red eyes on the cover, and contains no references to "silver eyes" anywhere.

This seems like an oversight

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
I'm realizing that my machine needs a bit of an upgrade before it can handle Nier Automata, but I've been laying for basically three minutes and I've already seen an amazing little thing.

Instead of making me sit for ages on startup showing me a bunch of licenses they needed to credit, they just put it in a 'Licenses' section on the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hahaha, wellllllll. Instead of the name, you get to see just about the only thing Monika can still do in the destroyed world.

Click this if you want to see what it is!

lmao

One of the other things she says is how cheap and annoying jumpscares are in horror, and playing on human instinct to scare them is just obnoxious. Turn the drat camera off!

All of the meta-meta-stuff in DDLC is completely irrelevant to the game itself, and I'm not particularly interested in trying to come up with some explanation for why things are the way they are, because I don't care, and like any good horror story, not knowing makes it better. I don't think it's a problem for DDLC itself but if there's a sequel or prequel or whatever-quel that ties into it next year like there seems to be hints for, I think it might take something away.