Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What's important is whether or not the NPC bunnies in that area become my friends afterwards. Right now one of them will even talk to me :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a free 6 heart right before the power line leading to the carrot, just spin Cappy on one of the veggies on the right side

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The koopa races are a such a wonderful evolution of the concept from Mario 64 and Sunshine. I really love that there are leaderboards, I'm looking forward to competing for times with my friends.

It's also cool that there's generally an alternate path that will let you really rip past even the gold koopa. The one in New Donk City involves flinging yourself from the top of the empire state building down to the finish line

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it!

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a free 6 heart right before the power line leading to the carrot, just spin Cappy on one of the veggies on the right side

Also thank you for this bit of useful info as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cant play this game anymore cause i cant get past 51 jump ropes and it will haunt me forever. a drat shame i'll never see whats past new donk city but oh well

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

If it's Topper you're having trouble with (he was the one that shredded me constantly), you can jump on him while's he's spinning. His hat phases ends either after a certain period of time, or when you find him. Harriet's hat phases can be ended early by just tossing Cappy at a bomb she drops under her. You can also knock off her hat early if you angle a shot right with the smaller bombs she throws out with her hair. I didn't find Spewart all that bad. Just make sure to stay near the center and keep it clean as he paints the floor in his hat phase. You can't knock him out of it early, but you can deflect where he goes as he goes around the arena. When he's not in his hat, you can just knock his hat off instantly if you're close to the center. I find trying to deflect Rango's hat phase with Cappy too risky, instead I just walked around in circles.

one correction/addendum to this otherwise good strategy post: Spewart is actually mega easy (i mean none of the broodals are particularly tough but). As soon as the battle starts you can knock his hat off and jump on him while he's stuck spinning in place. Afterwards he retreats in his hat and will move straight towards your position. And guess what? Jumping on the hat ends this phase, so all you need to do is stand still and time a really easy jump. Rinse and repeat.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Moltrey posted:

i cant play this game anymore cause i cant get past 51 jump ropes and it will haunt me forever. a drat shame i'll never see whats past new donk city but oh well

yeah the jump rope is garbage

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Forgot the moons, collecting all the purple coins is the real game for me. I must pimp out my ship and have a diverse wardrobe of wacky outfits to wear. Game owns.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like that they included Luigi and Waluigi outfits, but seeing them on Mario's frame just weirds me out so I don't use them much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

another tip for fighting Broodals: if you whack the first bomb Hariet sets in her attack phase after you've jumped on her head, it'll shoot up and knock her out of her helmet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For jump rope, the speed caps out at 50, and at that point, you just tap A for a millisecond and the tap A again, and do this over and over. Once you find your rhythm, it's not too bad.

Now volleyball later on is worse, but there's a way you can cheese the 100 hit challenge if you're really having trouble. Turn on 2P mode (Your system came with 2 Joy Cons after all.) Ignore Mario and control Cappy. Laugh as the challenge is utterly trivialized.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I like that they included Luigi and Waluigi outfits, but seeing them on Mario's frame just weirds me out so I don't use them much.

Yeah it's kind of a shame the overall character models don't change with these costumes.

Also I really wish all the old Mario powerup outfits were in the game. Fire Mario, SMB3 Racoon Mario, and SMW Cape Mario would have been really cool. Oh and also Tanooki Mario and Hammer Mario from 3 just because they also own.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

I don't know whats going on with me or when I became old but my 3D depth perception is SO bad I'm scaring myself. I'm constantly falling off ledges and missing important jumps because I just didn't realize where I was, spatially speaking.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know what the Moon name is for the collect-five-bits moon in Lake Kingdom? I can't find the last one, and it's Googling Time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Moon Shards in the Lake I believe

Dr. Fetus posted:

For jump rope, the speed caps out at 50, and at that point, you just tap A for a millisecond and the tap A again, and do this over and over. Once you find your rhythm, it's not too bad.

Now volleyball later on is worse, but there's a way you can cheese the 100 hit challenge if you're really having trouble. Turn on 2P mode (Your system came with 2 Joy Cons after all.) Ignore Mario and control Cappy. Laugh as the challenge is utterly trivialized.
Yeah I assume it's cake once the rhythm settles in but something about the speed around 45 -50 just makes my brain lurch and I lose it. thank you for this pro volleyball tip tho.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Murvin posted:

I don't know whats going on with me or when I became old but my 3D depth perception is SO bad I'm scaring myself. I'm constantly falling off ledges and missing important jumps because I just didn't realize where I was, spatially speaking.

I love the game, but the camera is worse than the past few 3D Mario games.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah it's kind of a shame the overall character models don't change with these costumes.

Also I really wish all the old Mario powerup outfits were in the game. Fire Mario, SMB3 Racoon Mario, and SMW Cape Mario would have been really cool. Oh and also Tanooki Mario and Hammer Mario from 3 just because they also own.

I think says a lot about the quality of the game that I played it through and never wanted for anything. Now that I am done, these seem like some great ideas. Some more proper Bowser/Castle levels would have been appreciated, too.

Given how well the Switch is selling and SMO is out in the first year, we are all but guaranteed to get a sequel.

the truth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 30, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I had a big moment in the shower earlier today when I realized the "take it in stride as you move side to side, they're just different points of view" lyrics was referring to the SMB1 murals. gently caress

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

Moon Shards in the Lake I believe

Thanks, I figured it out shortly after posting. I'm tooling around as a fish, getting more and more annoyed, when I see some wooden blocks and I go "if it's hiding behind these I'm going to flip my poo poo".

It was.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah this is basically a landmark title for Nintendo. It's just so...good. Like in a holistic sense -- it feels good FOR you. I haven't had a game that just loses me in itself like this one does, not in a long time. It's probably in many ways the most like Super Mario World as the 3-D titles have gotten.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah this is basically a landmark title for Nintendo. It's just so...good. Like in a holistic sense -- it feels good FOR you. I haven't had a game that just loses me in itself like this one does, not in a long time. It's probably in many ways the most like Super Mario World as the 3-D titles have gotten.

It's basically a celebration of all Mario, doing great, pitch perfect references to past games (seriously the bit after the credits, with the Thanks For Playing! message. I began saying to myself, it would be perfect if Mario sai--ohhhh fuckkkk while also doing its own thing and doing it perfectly

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Just finished the game. I want to live in Bowser's Samurai Kurosawa Land forever. That entire sequence was bonkers and I loved every second.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MachuPikacchu posted:

Just finished the game. I want to live in Bowser's Samurai Kurosawa Land forever. That entire sequence was bonkers and I loved every second.
You've only just begun.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Is anybody still complaining about the motion controls? I actually really like them in general but I'm having trouble getting the spin move out consistently. I skipped most of the thread because I didn't get the game until today so I didn't see if there was a trick that helped anybody else resolve the issue. If the answer is just Git Gud I'm fine with that.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Cobalt Viper posted:

You've only just begun.

The real :darksouls: starts here and I'm not even saying that, like, ironically,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For the spin, I ignored the diagram showing the player tilting the Joy-con to the side and just moved them straight to the side with no tilting. That seems to work more often than not.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Okay, it's come up twice now, how do I ground pound these moving underground lumps that run away from me? One on top of the Inverted Pyramid in Sand and one in one of the undergrounds bits in Snow. I'm clearly just missing something. You can't crawl in this game so that's not it.

edit: literally right after I posted this I found another one behind a cap door in Seaside, so thank you again for telling me

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 31, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Okay, it's come up twice now, how do I ground pound these moving underground lumps that run away from me? One on top of the Inverted Pyramid in Sand and one in one of the undergrounds bits in Snow. I'm clearly just missing something. You can't crawl in this game so that's not it.

Throw your hat at them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Throw your hat at them.
...are you goddamn SERIOUS

I literally didn't try the most basic thing in the game

I am really dumb :shepicide:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just made top 50 on the leaderboards of Luncheon Kingdom Freerunning so I want to brag for a bit, and I think the movement for this run looks really cool so here you go:
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/925131658235277312

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/925136826293043200

I think a lot of fun in this game is gonna come from getting moons without using the intended capture mechanics.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:eyepop: Man, Mario's movement options in this game are real good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I think a lot of fun in this game is gonna come from getting moons without using the intended capture mechanics.

Oh my god this room was killing me in the game and in real life last night, I absolutely hate the frog controls. I should've just done this!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I just made top 50 on the leaderboards of Luncheon Kingdom Freerunning so I want to brag for a bit, and I think the movement for this run looks really cool so here you go:
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/925131658235277312

:eyepop:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there some tutorial website on how to do all these glitchy looking crazy movement sequences?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Probably not, but also none of the components really require one. All I'm doing is combinations of dives, cap bounces and wall jumps. You just need to know where to use them. Like how if you can almost make it on top of a wall but not quite, you can wall jump off it, immediately turn around and throw Cappy towards the wall, and dive after it. Diving gives you that bit of extra height with which to make the jump.

And if you don't know how to do some of these moves, all the essential ones are in the action guide.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Haha I just found the alternate entrance to the Odyssey.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Beastie posted:

Haha I just found the alternate entrance to the Odyssey.

"the?" There's a 3rd one on there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually, here is a painstakingly detailed explanation + video on how to do the dive hat bounce combo from reddit. Might be helpful to some people: https://www.reddit.com/r/SuperMarioOdyssey/comments/79obe9/smo_double_cap_jump_step_by_step_crosspost/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So once you do a hat throw -> dive bounce -> hat throw -> dive, is there any way to recover in the air and keep doing cool stuff from that point, or are you forced to land your dive on the ground?

• Locked thread