Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boon posted:

It doesn't matter. In one post Kingfish shows he is both ignorant of the situation but nonetheless posting smugly about it. It's telling.
You are the loving King of smug, low-content holier-than-thou posting, you clueless shithead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

quote:

Republicans’ penchant for overpromising and underdelivering would ultimately enable the ascent of Donald Trump, who positioned himself as a results-oriented outsider who would deliver where politicians had failed. In the shorter term, it invited something less dramatic: a government shutdown. Eager to demonstrate that all options were being exhausted to defeat Obamacare, Ted Cruz in the Senate and conservatives in the House concocted a plan: Because the government needed new funding on October 1, the same day the exchanges would open, they would propose funding the rest of the federal government—while defunding Obamacare.

Boehner objected. Not only would Democrats never go for it; Republicans would be blamed for the resulting government shutdown. “I told them, ‘Don’t do this. It’s crazy. The president, the vice president, Reid, Pelosi, they’re all sitting there with the biggest poo poo-eating grins on their faces that you’ve ever seen, because they can’t believe we’re this loving stupid.’” (Boehner, at one point, surprises me by saying he’s proud of Cruz—whom he once called “Lucifer in the flesh”—for acting responsibly in 2017. Do you feel badly about calling him Lucifer, I ask? “No!” Boehner snorts. “He’s the most miserable son of a bitch I’ve ever had to work with.”)

After railing against the defund strategy, however, Boehner surveyed his conference and realized it was a fight many members wanted—and some needed. Yielding, he joined them in the trenches, abandoning his obligations of governance in hopes of strengthening his standing in the party. But the 17-day shutdown proved costly. Watching as Republicans got butchered in nationwide polling, the speaker finally called a meeting to inform members that they would vote to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling. “I get a standing ovation,” Boehner says. “I’m thinking, ‘This place is irrational.’”

Goddamn, this whole thing is great. Funny as hell too. Talk about a backhanded compliment.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Lightning Knight posted:

The power of Facebook is terrifying in the hands of an ambitious kleptocrat, but we've got two things going for us with Zuckerberg: he's a loving nerdlinger and he doesn't have strong public speaking skills.

I wonder how long it's gonna take him to realize that real power doesn't lie with the presidency -- it lies with whoever plays kingmaker to future presidents.

A Zuckerberg who uses his billions and Facebook data to sway presidential elections in his favor is infinitely more dangerous than a Zuckerberg who actually runs for president, imho.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Domestic Amuse posted:

I wonder how long it's gonna take him to realize that real power doesn't lie with the presidency -- it lies with whoever plays kingmaker to future presidents.

A Zuckerberg who uses his billions and Facebook data to sway presidential elections in his favor is infinitely more dangerous than a Zuckerberg who actually runs for president, imho.

What a cheery thought. Also, you’re right.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If she isn't voting for Pelosi for speaker, who did she vote for for speaker? Voting for the Democrat for Speaker is almost definitionally what being a Democrat Party house member means. If she's not doing that, she's functionally a Republican, just I guess one who is cool on gay rights?

edit: ok, here she is: http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Kyrsten_Sinema.htm

Pro choice, pro stimulus spending, pro women's and gay rights, anti death penalty, for decriminalizing marijuana, supports the export-import bank, supports the DREAM act, against a same-sex marriage ban, supports an income tax increase, claims to have opposed the Iraq War in 2002.

If it's a choice between her and any Trumpist I know who I'd prefer but yeah I want an explanation on the benghazi and pelosi-as-speaker votes. Maybe she got a "hall pass" ?

so, someone posted this in the suck zone:

https://pimaliberator.com/2017/10/01/the-problem-with-krysten-sinema-or-how-democrats-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-losing/

quote:

Ms. Sinema began her political career as a progressive, working on Ralph Nader’s 2000 presidential campaign and joining “Women in Black,” an anti-war organization which held vigils and protests against the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan in the early 2000s “till there’s no more war,” as Ms. Sinema herself stated. When she ran unsuccessfully for the State Legislature as an independent in 2002 with the support of the local Green Party, for which she once served as a spokeswoman, she was dubbed “too extreme” by the Arizona Democratic Party.

Later electoral success saw Ms. Sinema race away from her past, and the more elections she won the further she “evolved” away from her progressive roots. In 2011, while serving in the Arizona State House of Representatives, Ms. Sinema went on television and expressed her adoration for Russell Pearce, Godfather of SB1070, the breathtakingly racist anti-immigrant bill that made Arizona the rightful focus of international scorn.

I’d love to see him run for congress…Actually, I love Russell. We get along very well, not always on policy matters, but on personal matters we do.”

Yet it was in 2012, after Ms. Sinema was first elected to Congress from Arizona’s 9th congressional district, when she shed all qualms about throwing disabled people, sick people, war refugees, consumers and immigrants under the bus for the sake of her naked political ambition. What follows is a list of some of her more egregious congressional votes.

Co-sponsor with Matt Salmon of H.R.4122 “Visa Waiver Program:” suspends the waiver program for individuals who in the last five years have traveled to Iran, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Egypt, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, and Nigeria. Allows the U.S. Secretary of State to add additional countries to the threat list at any time.
Co-sponsor of H.R.620 “ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017:” removes incentives for businesses to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Co-sponsor of H.J.R.81: balanced budget constitutional amendment.
Yes on H.R.3004 “Kate’s Law:” toughens penalties for people repeatedly caught crossing the border without proper documentation.
Yes on H.R.3219 “Make America Secure Appropriations Act:” appropriates $1.6 billion for a border wall.
Yes on H.R.3697 “Criminal Alien Gang Member Removal Act:” increases federal agents’ ability to detain and deport non-citizens solely because they live in an immigrant neighborhood considered to be “gang-affiliated.”
Yes on H.R.3003 “No Sanctuary for Criminals Act:” strips federal grant money from sanctuary cities.
Yes on H.R.411: opposes the nuclear peace deal with Iran.
Yes on H.R.238 “Commodity End-User Relief Act:” weakens Dodd-Frank financial reforms and cuts $32 million from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau budget.
Yes on H.R.30 “Save American Workers Act:” guts the employer mandate of the Affordable Care Act by defining full-time work at 40 hours a week, from the current 30 hour standard.
Yes on H.R.2997 “21st Century AIRR Act:” privatizes the United States Air Traffic Control system by removing it from the control of the Federal Aviation Administration and handing it over to private, for-profit industry.
Yes on H.R.2581 “Verify First Act:” prevents people from accessing health care through the Affordable Care Act until their citizenship status has been verified.
Yes on H.R.3350 “Keep Your Health Plan Act:” allows insurers to keep offering health plans that do not meet certain minimum requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
No on H.C.R.71: House Democratic Caucus substitute for the 2018 Republican budget proposal.

turns out where there's smoke, there's fire.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/924951516238184449

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bernie co-opting the Jack Reacher speech from the lawyers office in "One Shot".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Can't wait to see his popularity go even higher after this

Love how Bernie's putting to rest the myth that leftism is unworkable in today's America

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Boon posted:

It doesn't matter. In one post Kingfish shows he is both ignorant of the situation but nonetheless posting smugly about it. It's telling.

shut up jerk.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I believe the proximate cause for its negotiation was the impending debt ceiling, was it not?

The thing is that the debt ceiling is a wholly manufactured limit for the sole purpose of crippling large-scale change; any punishment for surpassing it is entirely artificial, and as we all saw the percieved fault for imposing the debt ceiling in the publics eye falls on Congress, not the government, rendering the whole Grand Bargain pointless.

Democrats were in a position of power and let themselves get played by a false narrative (at best), or wormed out of actually doing what they promise the public (at worst).

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool watching dumb people defend the Grand Bargain, it's a useful litmus test to see how real any given person's "resistance" is

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Why would people need to defend a grand bargain that Obama never actually agreed to?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Democrats were in a position of power and let themselves get played by a false narrative (at best), or wormed out of actually doing what they promise the public (at worst).

This is a good summary of the last uh.. 50 years of politics?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Neurolimal posted:

The thing is that the debt ceiling is a wholly manufactured limit for the sole purpose of crippling large-scale change; any punishment for surpassing it is entirely artificial, and as we all saw the percieved fault for imposing the debt ceiling in the publics eye falls on Congress, not the government, rendering the whole Grand Bargain pointless.

I realize that. I’m just saying that there was a reason for it, Obama didn’t just decide he wanted to cut entitlements on a whim. That it was a dumb and bad reason is a separate problem.

Arizona lady is p. bad Condiv, and so is Arizona. Theres talks of Gifford’s husband running, but I dunno if he’s any good.

Domestic Amuse posted:

Yeah but here’s the thing: we already live in the cyberpunk future.

We’re hosed. :suicide:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

We never actually passed the tipping point on the debt ceiling, so we never actually did see whatever harm would come come to pass

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Condiv posted:

Love how Bernie's putting to rest the myth that leftism is unworkable in today's America

He's restating:

"Are we not yet free?"

That has very wide appeal it is a question rooted in many historical and religious movements in this country. Hmm, I think we have question and answer.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Why would people need to defend a grand bargain that Obama never actually agreed to?

starting the long, honorable tradition of centrists hoping Ted Cruz will save them from the things they say they want to happen

turns out it didn't pan out, long term

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BrandorKP posted:

He's restating:

"Are we not yet free?"

That has very wide appeal it is a question rooted in many historical and religious movements in this country. Hmm, I think we have question and answer.

"Democrats just want stuff for free, like freedom, which isn't free"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ze Pollack posted:

starting the long, honorable tradition of centrists hoping Ted Cruz will save them from the things they say they want to happen

turns out it didn't pan out, long term

Since when has expecting the incompetence of Republican leadership and their fractious party structure to stymie their political efforts stopped panning out?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Democrats just want stuff for free, like freedom, which isn't free"

I mean admittedly it would be better if nobody who is liberal or leftist ever described a government program as "free x" ever again, but...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Since when has expecting the incompetence of Republican leadership and their fractious party structure to stymie their political efforts stopped panning out?

you may recall something happened about a year ago

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

call to action posted:

It's cool watching dumb people defend the Grand Bargain, it's a useful litmus test to see how real any given person's "resistance" is

The fortunate thing is that even a relatively centrist future Dem candidate would be unlikely to try something similar.

Like, the Grand Bargain was a stupid idea because it would have seriously damaged the social safety net, but the thinking that went into it was never that we should be slashing bedrock federal programs. The thinking - it seems to me - was predicated on the old style of politics where deals and compromises are made in good faith and that you usually have to give up something in order to get something you want. At the time of the Grand Bargain that philosophy was already outdated, of course, but it's blindingly obvious to even the most feckless in the Democratic party now. Not just because the Republicans during the Obama years utterly failed to negotiate in good faith, though of course that's part of it. But the beginning of the Trump era has also proven that playing hardball against the GOP Congress is possible (for example, the clean temporary appropriations/debt ceiling with no concessions by Dems).

The old dealmaking model of politics is essentially over, and everyone knows it. There's no real reason to negotiate with Republicans on any issue of substance, because playing hardball works, and trying to find a compromise that Republicans won't ultimately torpedo out of partisan spite is a fruitless exercise. So the likelihood of a future Grand Bargain attempt in a future Dem administration seems low.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fraction Jackson posted:

The fortunate thing is that even a relatively centrist future Dem candidate would be unlikely to try something similar.

Like, the Grand Bargain was a stupid idea because it would have seriously damaged the social safety net, but the thinking that went into it was never that we should be slashing bedrock federal programs. The thinking - it seems to me - was predicated on the old style of politics where deals and compromises are made in good faith and that you usually have to give up something in order to get something you want. At the time of the Grand Bargain that philosophy was already outdated, of course, but it's blindingly obvious to even the most feckless in the Democratic party now. Not just because the Republicans during the Obama years utterly failed to negotiate in good faith, though of course that's part of it. But the beginning of the Trump era has also proven that playing hardball against the GOP Congress is possible (for example, the clean temporary appropriations/debt ceiling with no concessions by Dems).

The old dealmaking model of politics is essentially over, and everyone knows it. There's no real reason to negotiate with Republicans on any issue of substance, because playing hardball works, and trying to find a compromise that Republicans won't ultimately torpedo out of partisan spite is a fruitless exercise. So the likelihood of a future Grand Bargain attempt in a future Dem administration seems low.

I think that argument is predicated on the fact that cuts were forced on Obama, when I think in all honesty he was fairly welcoming of them. He might have wanted fewer cuts, but the signaling was clear he was surprisingly open about wanting to be a fiscal conservative. If anything the GOP just didn't want to work with him out of spite more than anything else since they could have pushed a pretty sweet deal otherwise. I don't think any future Democratic administrative is beyond that either.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Ardennes posted:

I think that argument is predicated on the fact that cuts were forced on Obama, when I think in all honesty he was fairly welcoming of them. He might have wanted fewer cuts, but the signaling was clear he was surprisingly open about wanting to be a fiscal conservative. If anything the GOP just didn't want to work with him out of spite more than anything else since they could have pushed a pretty sweet deal otherwise. I don't think any future Democratic administrative is beyond that either.

I think it's an open question as to whether Obama really wanted cuts, or if he just saw them as the price of getting a deal with the GOP that included more revenue and that actually making a deal was, to him, the right way to do it. I tend to think that Obama, being traditionalist in some ways, was just playing the game the way it used to be played.

But I think you kind of underline my point - the GOP could have made out like bandits (and reversed any tax increases in their next time in power) had they all been on the same page and enough of them had been willing to actually do a deal. But they didn't, out of spite, and accidentally saved the Obama administration from making a huge mistake in the process. There's no reason for any future Dem president, no matter where on the political spectrum they are, to think that they can actually make a compromise deal with the Republicans that they wouldn't just torch.

I mean I guess it's possible for there to be one dumb enough to, but it just seems like the failure of the Grand Bargain, plus things like what happened to Merrick Garland, and with how the 2016 campaign went, are pretty huge signals that the old mode of compromise politics is no longer how poo poo works. So I'm optimistic that even a mediocre Dem, no matter how centrist they might be, can realize by now that chasing Republican votes as an end unto itself is a fool's errand.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Your Boy Fancy posted:

IATSE Local 22. Stagehands of the DMV. :)

A few pages back, but what’s up IATSE brother :) Local #7 in Denver here! I started this year and it’s the best job I’ve ever had, Union scale kicks rear end!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm optimistic that even a mediocre Dem, no matter how centrist they might be, can realize by now that chasing Republican votes as an end unto itself is a fool's errand.
That's naivety, not optimism. You haven't been paying attention to the actions of the Democratic party since the election. The leadership is still essentially conservative.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Centrist Dems working with Republicans is as much an effort to enforce political norms and to ensure the overton window stays in the center as it is a good-faith effort to get the best utilitarian outcome for the country. That applies to Obama as much as anyone. Unfortunately for them the Republicans don't give a gently caress about those norms at all, but the cooperation of the mystical moderate conservative is basically required for people like Obama to achieve that goal, so they keep searching. That's why people like David Brooks and David Frum are treated so well in the liberal media world

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 31, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

not bad observations, but it neglects the reality that the democratic donors want the democrats to be republican lite and the only way to sell that to the democratic base is as a great coming together of both parties under consensus ideas.

the dems are between a rock and a hard place; trying to sell republican legislation but unable to get actual republicans to support them. and why should the republicans? if the dems are headed right then the republicans are free to radicalize.

anyway, the point is, the real power behind the dems wants them to veer to the right but they can't sell that to the base unless its seen as a "victory" by finally coming together over "common sense solutions" and consensus. its a victory the republicans will never grant them, nor shouldn't (politically)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

not bad observations, but it neglects the reality that the democratic donors want the democrats to be republican lite and the only way to sell that to the democratic base is as a great coming together of both parties under consensus ideas.

the dems are between a rock and a hard place; trying to sell republican legislation but unable to get actual republicans to support them. and why should the republicans? if the dems are headed right then the republicans are free to radicalize.

anyway, the point is, the real power behind the dems wants them to veer to the right but they can't sell that to the base unless its seen as a "victory" by finally coming together over "common sense solutions" and consensus. its a victory the republicans will never grant them, nor shouldn't (politically)

This may be the case, but as you point out, there can't be any compromise/consensus victory, because the Republicans will never allow it and it's obvious to everyone now.

That isn't to say that Dems might not push for more centrist or center-right stuff of their own accord, depending on who ends up filling seats in Congress or who the next Presidential candidate might be, but those things will not be bipartisan either, because there is no dealmaking between sides to be had. And fortunately, that means there's a limit to exactly how far right such a candidate could go, because there is no way to sell it as a compromise.

The problem of the corporatist wing of the Democratic Party is a separate problem from the urge to make Congress work "the way it used to" and to bring America together via bipartisan legislation. The latter is effectively dead in practice. I can't deny that you're right in that the former is still a problem and will continue to be until, over time, further left candidates start making it through primaries. But I think - ironically - the GOP's inability to act as a functioning party in a governing sense has put a limit on how far right the corporatist wing of the Dems can go.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Can We Have Humane Immigration Policy? by Brianna Rennix.

This article has a terrible title, but its content is magnificient. Obviously, the answer is “yes.”

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Something towards the end of the Boehner profile caught my eye:

quote:

He doesn’t foresee this toxic political climate improving, ticking off potential fixes—term limits, redistricting reform—that he says won’t make a bit of difference. “It’s going to take an intervening event for Americans to realize that first, we are Americans,” he says. An intervening event? “Something cataclysmic,” he responds, gazing upward.

I agree, but even then it's a shot in the dark. This country refused to heal from 9/11, which was a minor blow compared to what happens to other countries on a regular basis, but we treated it as the apocalypse since it was the first time we'd been hit on American soil in modern history. Instead of learning lessons from it, we used the opportunity to throw away the veneer of civility and show just how ugly we are towards those less fortunate and with the wrong religious belief or skin color. Another 9/11-level event, or even worse, would probably break this country.

So, yeah.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

C. Everett Koop posted:

I agree, but even then it's a shot in the dark. This country refused to heal from 9/11, which was a minor blow compared to what happens to other countries on a regular basis, but we treated it as the apocalypse since it was the first time we'd been hit on American soil in modern history. Instead of learning lessons from it, we used the opportunity to throw away the veneer of civility and show just how ugly we are towards those less fortunate and with the wrong religious belief or skin color. Another 9/11-level event, or even worse, would probably break this country.

So, yeah.

I think that speculating about this kind of poo poo is pointlessly dark and will lead to depression. :glomp:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

C. Everett Koop posted:

Something towards the end of the Boehner profile caught my eye:

So, yeah.

UFOs confirmed.

Or a meteor, inshallah.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

UFOs confirmed.

Or a meteor, inshallah.
some kind of weird rear end psychic squid monster landing in manhattan killing millions

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

UFOs confirmed.

Or a meteor, inshallah.

i've been casting pk starstorm so loving hard and yet nothing

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

C. Everett Koop posted:

i've been casting pk starstorm so loving hard and yet nothing

Paula is sending her thoughts and prayers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Twin Towers were America's parents, and American proceeded to become the Batman.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

quote:

He doesn’t foresee this toxic political climate improving, ticking off potential fixes—term limits, redistricting reform—that he says won’t make a bit of difference. “It’s going to take an intervening event for Americans to realize that first, we are Americans,” he says. An intervening event? “Something cataclysmic,” he responds, gazing upward.
I like to think he's imagining if a center-left Democrat were elected President with a solid Congressional majority. That that's his accelerationism.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 31, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Twin Towers were America's parents, and American proceeded to become the Batman.

So Merica needs a less lovely dark edgelord writer?

Like the writers who wrote for the Brave and Bold cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

wapo did an article on environmental racism:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1c0797b4e7f9

a graphic from the article that is particularly upsetting:

as you can see, even in blue states, minorities are victims of environmental racism. i'm not sure whether disparity in environmental quality is higher in coastal states due to city density, or what, but it's still particularly disgusting that in states strongly controlled by dems theres such a disparity in the effects of pollution between white people and minorities

• Locked thread