Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Aardvark posted:

This is why I avoid the vet lounge. It is not worth the risk of listening to that.

It depends on the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

When I started school in 2014, the vets lounge started out pretty chill, but by 2016 a lot of the chill people left and a bunch of motards filtered in. I don't go to the vets lounge anymore.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

shyduck posted:

I don't go to the vets lounge anymore.

I don't either. We had an influx of stupid one year, and the problem hasn't quite sorted itself out yet. I show up often enough to where they don't question it when there's free food involved, though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Our "Veteran Oasis" is an oasis safe space for bad opinions at a liberal as gently caress college.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We watch It's Always Sunny and bullshit in my school's vet lounge.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Our library sent out an email to the few veterans on campus asking how they can service veterans better.

I talked to the staff member who sent the email and in the most polite way possible I said “don’t treat me any different than anyone else.”

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
So last term (summer) was my first term after graduating at a community college and transferring to a public university to pursue my undergrad. The vet office screwed up the paperwork and I got overpaid $1200. They then let the business office put a debt on me and when questioned they basically tried to shift blame with the "Well you shouldn't have spent it so it's your fault" poo poo. Whatever, I paid it back right then and there. How was that my fault again? So today I get an email from the vet office about this term (fall) saying that due to some really obscure facet of my financial aid, the VA overpayed me $334 so now they are trying to collect again.

I was seeing red the last time... I feel like I'm about to have a loving meltdown now. This school sucks dick, gently caress them. I am so sick of this poo poo. I haven't even been able to get ahold of my adviser in months, let alone get help with this. Next email is going to the dean. Who can I contact at VA about these fuckwads wasting my goddamn benefits? The most hosed up part of this is that the $1200 overpayment from last term? Oh they charged my benefits for it, then took my money. Kicker is that they didn't pay back VA as per the GI Bill people. So they're just pocketing my money? Seriously, send help... :(

here's the goddamn email they sent me:

Stupid Motherfucking Fucktarded Shitstain posted:

Hi,

It has been identified that the Authorized Veteran Affair amount applied to your account may not have taken into consideration any Tuition Remission Financial Aid (Financial Aid specific to Tuition and Fees) that you have been awarded for Fall Term 2017. The Amendment for Tuition and Fees submitted to the VA will deduct any Tuition Remission awarded which may create a balance on your Student Account. If you have any questions regarding this amount please contact Veterans Services in the Registrar's office. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

:bahgawd:

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 31, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Call your congressional rep. They have a person dedicated to veteran's stuff more often than not.

My rep in CT was Rosa DeLauro, a super mega liberal hipster congresswoman. Her chief of staff handled veteran's claims. When you were on his side he was amazing. When you were on the other end of the equation he was a colossal loving dick.

The guy literally walked into my office one day, introduced himself, and sat in the waiting area until the issue was resolved several hours later (it wasn't the school it was the VA that hosed up) asking me about every 15 minutes what the deal was. He then was happy as a clam and walked out after I gave him the information he needed.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's certainly a thought. Kind of beyond what I was plotting but if it's going to get it done... This is in Oregon, if anyone has any specifics. Mainly I'm just wondering if I should try to go through the ODVA first. Skipping VA altogether does sound appealing but kind of scary. Also we have 5 congressional representatives, just pick one?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wouldn't bother. Just go and be That Guy and get your rep involved. Nobody, and I mean nobody, EVER wants a congressperson involved. Find out who your specific rep is and email their office. Congresspeople extra love it because they're helping ARE TROOPS.

Mention right out the gate that you're a constituent, a registered voter, and a disabled combat veteran. They'll come running.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Will do! I wasn't looking forward to the barrage of response emails today so I'll just do this. Now, to involve the Dean or not to involve the Dean... this just makes me angry because these are all vets I'm dealing with here.

I have a feeling I'm going to straight up call another vet a blue falcon to his face today.

\/\/\/\/

:thejoke:

It's unthinkable that this would ever even be considered, I know.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 31, 2017

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lmbo at using the term blue falcon in any context, but good luck

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

If someone called me a blue falcon I’d probably call them a loving retard.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
[quote="Vasudus" post=""477912281”"]
Nobody, and I mean nobody, EVER wants a congressperson involved. Find out who your specific rep is and email their office. Congresspeople extra love it because they're helping ARE TROOPS.

Mention right out the gate that you're a constituent, a registered voter, and a disabled combat veteran. They'll come running.
[/quote]

Hahahahaha

Oh, you’re serious. Let me laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Hahahahaha

Oh, you’re serious. Let me laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

:negative:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm talking about schools my man, that's not much of a castle to storm.

Your poo poo is borderline sysifusian at this point.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

If someone called me a blue falcon I’d probably call them a loving retard.

cool story you rude little twit

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cool response Blue Falcon

Edit shouldn’t have used that word, got it. Trying to phase it out though some people make me wonder.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

Cool response Blue Falcon

why don't you shut the gently caress up you loving retard ffs

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

why don't you shut the gently caress up you loving retard ffs

I’m trying

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol :toot: fun times with friends

edit: i probably shouldn't have said those words either. i do actually know better, even in jest.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well I was talking about compartmentalizing racism and how I used to do that (difference between racial slurs and people of that ethnic background) and yeah, that word CAN be used as offensive which I did, but it’s also in its own class where you could use the word and have it convey meaning. Not so much with racial slurs, except niggardly, and have fun using that in a sentence without getting second looks.

I just don’t like inadvertently hurting people with my words.

I’d really probably call them stupid but I’d be thinking it.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fair enough. I suppose I'll just call a horse a horse. Bout to turn up on some buddy fuckers in my vet office.

Actually they got back to me and at one point said "...working on this issue, because Vets shouldn't have to pay more money because of an administration error." I'll take that as a win. Thanks for listening to me bitch again, thread. <3 soulex

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Awesome man! Yeah the VA sent me a letter saying that while I was in my first semester at my university, I was still in service and technically attending school somewhere else (summer class extension at my old college) so they said “you don’t qualify for the yellow ribbon, give us money.” I asked about it and nothing else came of it. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don’t. That overlap was just until 12 September, my official day of retirement. So what, 1 week? 2?

For instance, I bought a car on Vroom (through USAA) and it has gone McNally. Today, I spent 1,800 and change on out-of-state taxes, registration fees, etc because the dealership forgot to do a bunch of stuff, got hit by a hurricane, still forgot to do stuff and I’ve been driving my van without plates for the last month arguing with the CA DMV, Vroom, USAA and whoever else about this whole situation. Vroom still owes me 200 bucks for when they forgot to pay me back my car payment because the process took so fuckig long. July 18th car purchased. I JUST got CA temp plates. The ones from TX expired a month ago.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I like retard because I work with a lot of New Englanders that pronounce it retaahhd and I can't find a good replacement. This fun is tempered by the connotations it carries so it's sadly fallen into disuse.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apologies if my ableist attitude offended you. I just wrote a 5-pager last week exploring reasons to disuse the word 'retard'.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
You two better start making out

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I need fun to say alternatives that carry similar connotations to dumb motherfucker, you should write a paper about that.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeris posted:

You two better start making out

you'd like that, wouldn't you big boy? :whatup:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Bruce Boxlicker don't test me

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zeris posted:

It’s true, he’s horrible in math. Good on the written portions though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

it has gone McNally.

lol

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

We watch It's Always Sunny and bullshit in my school's vet lounge.

basically this for me as well

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeris posted:

I am second to none at gay chicken. Have at you!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I am second to none at gay chicken. Have at you!

Being gay is cool nowadays fyi, you don't have to dress it up anymore.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got out pre-DADT repeal, obviously.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I go to a small school with a tiny faculty.

One of our professors‘s mom was having health issues, so our professor was going out of town and missing a bunch of classes. Her mom died this last weekend and she’s going to have to miss MORE classes.

She is leading a small independent study group that I am a part of. It’s categorized as an internship for three credits.

We have been lost in the sauce for the last few weeks and now we don’t know what we are supposed to do. We have benchmarks that are supposed to be met but like I said, we aren’t sure what we are supposed to be doing.

I don’t want to gently caress this up because I feel like I could use this as an opportunity to get a letter of recommendation from a CFO, which could carry a LOT of influence for me going forward. But at the same time I want to be sensitive to the professor since her mom dying is a real issue.

I’m kind of just venting. But I’m also wondering if anyone has ever run into a situation like this and what they did about it? On one hand I feel like complaining is selfish but at the same time I have a lot of stake in this internship.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Tragedies do not negate responsibilities. She needs to look after other parts of her life or seek help and give them up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In all likelihood you'll get an incomplete and the chair of the department will provide instructions on what to do to get credit. Assuming it goes completely pear shaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like how I have to go to headquarters every month for 19 more months to verify that I am still in fact employed. Thanks VA