Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Write more.

Seriously. My handwriting was tremendously worse a year ago than it is now and I haven’t been consciously practicing with drills or anything, just finding more excuses to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This book helped me and I recommend it. But, the cliff notes version is:

Know the shape of the letters you want to make, you want to have a template of the perfect version of the letter in mind. Don't mix different versions (i.e. 2 with loop and 2 without loop) of the letter forms.

When you write, keep the shape in mind as you write each letter.

Basically, be conscious of the shapes you make, and they will become natural and gradually you won't have to pay close attention.

'Slow is smooth and smooth is fast'

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So I think I have confirmed mold in two of my Lamy Al-Stars. If I clean them with a 1:10 or 1:20 bleach solution, do I risk destroying the pen or the finish?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

This book helped me and I recommend it. But, the cliff notes version is:

Know the shape of the letters you want to make, you want to have a template of the perfect version of the letter in mind. Don't mix different versions (i.e. 2 with loop and 2 without loop) of the letter forms.

When you write, keep the shape in mind as you write each letter.

Basically, be conscious of the shapes you make, and they will become natural and gradually you won't have to pay close attention.

'Slow is smooth and smooth is fast'

Heath posted:

Write more.

Seriously. My handwriting was tremendously worse a year ago than it is now and I haven’t been consciously practicing with drills or anything, just finding more excuses to write.

I should probably clarify: this is just standard printing that sucks. Cursive and me haven't gotten along since the last time I had to use it consistently, and that was probably 3rd grade.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
imo if you're only going to print then fountain pens aren't worth the investment and a good gel pen will be better. Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread though :shobon:

The advice for improving printing is pretty much the same though. Do a lot of writing every day, know how you want the letters to look, and go as slow as you have to. You'll naturally gain speed as your hand muscles gain memory.

Oh, and make sure you're gripping the pen in a natural way. If your hand starts to hurt after a few minutes of writing then you're gripping the pen wrong and should change it.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

MJP posted:

I should probably clarify: this is just standard printing that sucks. Cursive and me haven't gotten along since the last time I had to use it consistently, and that was probably 3rd grade.

Honestly it's going to take some time but there's a big difference between learning something as a kid and as an adult. When you're in school, you have to learn it, you don't have a choice. Now you're doing the same thing because you want to do it and that can make all the difference in the world. For me when I was practicing I would just write a stream of thought of whatever and if I didn't like the way a letter looked I'd take a break, practice that letter till it looked how I wanted, then go back to essentially doodling with cursive. The shape was always more important than the content when I was doing this. I also tended to look at actual examples of cursive writing when I was writing and not just the loopy practice sheets you used in school. Those teach you the shape and how to write them but they were always too round for my preference. Bulbous even. From there it's just a matter of regular practice in small chunks. Just a few minutes a day will have you writing better before you know it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Eric the Mauve posted:

imo if you're only going to print then fountain pens aren't worth the investment and a good gel pen will be better. Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread though :shobon:

The advice for improving printing is pretty much the same though. Do a lot of writing every day, know how you want the letters to look, and go as slow as you have to. You'll naturally gain speed as your hand muscles gain memory.

Oh, and make sure you're gripping the pen in a natural way. If your hand starts to hurt after a few minutes of writing then you're gripping the pen wrong and should change it.

I vehemently disagree with you about FPs not being worth the investment if you don't use cursive. My handwriting isn't just printing, it's block-caps. I still love using my FPs for it, though, because 1) it puts way less stress on my hands than even the smoothest gel pens; 2) you can't refill a gel pen with cool ink; 3) fountain pens are loving cool and how or what I write with them shouldn't matter. Moreover, though this doesn't really matter to me other than to shake my head, cursive really isn't being taught at all in primary schools any more. My wife's a middle school teacher and the staff pass "secret" notes in cursive since none of the kids can read it.

You're right about the second and third parts, though.

One last note: weirdly enough, heavier pens can be better for reducing hand fatigue and stress. Not sure why that is, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Most of my writing is print and I still prefer fountain pens because yeah, they just hurt less to use than a nice gel pen.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I pretty much only ever write in cursive, and my handwriting has gone from atrocious to pretty acceptable (occasionally I get 'nice/fancy handwriting' remarks) in the last year. My first Goulet order was seven years ago, but I just haven't written much until more recently. Practice makes perfect, like any skill - just writing by itself will help, but dedicated practice times where you write certain common shapes over and over (like the Palmer method) will help even more. I totally get it if you don't want to invest that amount of time. Just write more. I keep a work planner, home/personal planner, nightly journal, and notes/memos all in writing. It's more of a personal touch when I'm delivering something, and it helps me remember things when I'm taking notes.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Found a Lamy Safari in Dark Lilac plus a bunch of dark lilac and petrol cartridges on holiday near Munich. No bottles unfortunately (of Lamy) but did pick up Pelikan blue black and Faber castell midnight blue ink. My wife thinks I'm a dork.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

MJP posted:

That book is 2/3rds printing and the last bit has cursive stuff. I only did the printing sections.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Also writing in (terrible) italics with a parallel can be a lot of fun.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I vehemently disagree with you about FPs not being worth the investment if you don't use cursive. My handwriting isn't just printing, it's block-caps.
I'm so sorry, but the rest of your post turned into ALL-CAPS in my head. It's amazing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Heath posted:

So I think I have confirmed mold in two of my Lamy Al-Stars. If I clean them with a 1:10 or 1:20 bleach solution, do I risk destroying the pen or the finish?

The finish on Al-Stars is anodized, which can react with bleach in strong enough concentration. I don't know what a 1:10 or 1:20 might do. I know a 1:4 ratio will screw things up, based on this post on a yo-yo forum.

Have you done much searching on the FPN forums? The general consensus there seems to be an ultrasonic cleaner and biocide of some type. I've seen ammonia, vinegar, dedicated fungicide, and phenol all recommended. Never bleach, though. I'm not sure which of those would be safe for anodized aluminum and the plastic in the feed/section-- you'll probably need to do a bit more research.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm so sorry, but the rest of your post turned into ALL-CAPS in my head. It's amazing.

:byodood: EVERY PAGE IN MY BULLET JOURNAL LOOKS LIKE I'M REALLY EXCITED OR REALLY ANGRY ABOUT MUNDANE poo poo!

Pretty much like that, yeah.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

effika posted:

The finish on Al-Stars is anodized, which can react with bleach in strong enough concentration. I don't know what a 1:10 or 1:20 might do. I know a 1:4 ratio will screw things up, based on this post on a yo-yo forum.

Have you done much searching on the FPN forums? The general consensus there seems to be an ultrasonic cleaner and biocide of some type. I've seen ammonia, vinegar, dedicated fungicide, and phenol all recommended. Never bleach, though. I'm not sure which of those would be safe for anodized aluminum and the plastic in the feed/section-- you'll probably need to do a bit more research.

I had mold in my Vista. The feed will tolerate bleaching just fine. Can't help you with the aluminum parts.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I’m afraid of there being residual spores in the cap since I had some fuzzies on my nibs. If I tried vinegar, how strong should I dilute it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You need chemicals and/or mechanical action to clean the growth in the feed, but I would kill the spores in the cap with heat.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have access to a hospital autoclave :q:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So after trying a bunch of different kinds of paper, I oddly discovered how much I like french-ruled paper. A lot. It's so....orderly!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Heath posted:

I have access to a hospital autoclave :q:

Your feed is likely plastic so I wouldn't put it in the AC. However, a hot bleach solution in a cheap sonic cleaner would likely do you wonders.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What are you people doing with your pens to get mold.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

What are you people doing with your pens to get mold.

I put them in an old wooden box. Mold spores are insidious.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

oh gdi, i snapped the feed on my celluoid Platinum 3776 cleaning the pen. :sigh:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Happy Fountain Pen Day everyone! I picked up a Pelikan from cult pens (10% off!) which I am very much looking forward to.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
In honour of Fountain Pen Day I put a bid on some very pretty looking vintage Urushi

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've finally realised that I'm buying Lamy cartridges faster than I'm using them. Oops.

I refill my Pilot cartridges, but I can't face refilling the Lamy ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If half the fun of fountain pens is playing with beautiful inks why buy Lamy cartridges?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Safari for work, Metro for play.

But the Lamy cartridges have a very narrow opening, much smaller that the Pilot ones, so I tend to stick to the basic colours for the Lamy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bought this in a nice hole-in-the-wall shop I found while visiting my sister, along with three nice ink samples. (Here's hoping they don't blow up in my suitcase, but I think I packed them well enough.) Still haven't tried the pen, but I really liked the look so it was an impulse buy. The nice lady at the shop said it takes standard cartriges, but she doesn't know if there's enough space in the barrel for a converter. Ah well, if worse comes to worst I'll just refill the cartridges.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If half the fun of fountain pens is playing with beautiful inks why buy Lamy cartridges?

I find the cartridges more convenient and worry free. I had a incident with my Vista the other day and almost ruined a dress shirt, fortunately the ink pooled in the barrel. I think it was my fault for not cleaning properly when I was refilling it with my ink, but still, that's something you don't have to deal with when using cartridges.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mikl posted:

Bought this in a nice hole-in-the-wall shop I found while visiting my sister, along with three nice ink samples. (Here's hoping they don't blow up in my suitcase, but I think I packed them well enough.) Still haven't tried the pen, but I really liked the look so it was an impulse buy. The nice lady at the shop said it takes standard cartriges, but she doesn't know if there's enough space in the barrel for a converter. Ah well, if worse comes to worst I'll just refill the cartridges.

Yeah, from what I can tell those are cartridge-only pens because they put something in the barrel to help the cartridge seat when the barrel is screwed back on. You might be able to get a shorter standard converter in there (I think Monteverde has one) but refilling cartridges is your best bet.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

MJP posted:

Peripherally related, but worth an ask: is there a thread-preferred method of improving lovely handwriting? Mine sucks. A lot. Always has. Grew up during penmanship classes and didn't do well, even with a handwriting tutor. I started typing my assignments in 1996, and I never looked back. I don't even know how I did well enough on handwriting-only college exams.

If I'm getting into pens I'd like to get good enough at writing to participate in the fun parts of using them. I've got this one book but if there's exercises or practices other than writing every day (I'm taking notes for cert exams as well as keeping a journal) I'd love to look into them.

I had an interesting experience a while back. I bought some roller balls at a grocery store a while back and I was a bit angry because they didn't work. They would work for the first 30% of a word or something and then just smear. But because they worked at the beginning, I didn't give up on them. And then during a kind of lull in work I messed around with them and I realized that the ink only flowed so fast and if I wrote slowly, well it worked. A consequence of this? My handwriting was MUCH better. I also take notes on things in a notebook, and honestly, it's just a matter of deciding to have good handwriting.

I'm going to switch to my Dad voice and say that if you're having trouble with something, slow down.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bollig posted:

I had an interesting experience a while back. I bought some roller balls at a grocery store a while back and I was a bit angry because they didn't work. They would work for the first 30% of a word or something and then just smear. But because they worked at the beginning, I didn't give up on them. And then during a kind of lull in work I messed around with them and I realized that the ink only flowed so fast and if I wrote slowly, well it worked. A consequence of this? My handwriting was MUCH better. I also take notes on things in a notebook, and honestly, it's just a matter of deciding to have good handwriting.

I'm going to switch to my Dad voice and say that if you're having trouble with something, slow down.

That's actually been good advice. I've slowed down in my daily journaling and while my handwriting isn't great, it's actually legible compared to how my fast handwriting looks.

Meanwhile my Hero 616 has developed a wonderful habit of leaking. I opened up the cap to use it the other day and got a smear of ink on my hands. Same condition happened after cleaning it up. Am I just unlucky or is this a Chicom pen problem?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I splurged on a matte black Vanishing Point with a real gold nib (I had the “special alloy” version and it was already my favorite pen) and the difference is subtle but noticeable. It almost glides too smoothly and my writing looks like the tracks left by someone trying to ice skate for the first time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Vista leaked on me again today, the second time in a row after filling it.

Edit: Leaked mostly dried ink into the barrel.

I think my converter is the culprit. It's also leaked from the seam between the "twisty" part as well.

Would a new, correct fitting, converter help?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 6, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I think my converter is the culprit. It's also leaked from the seam between the "twisty" part as well.

It's certainly the easiest thing to try. If ink is coming out from around the piston, it definitely needs to be replaced anyway.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

Professor Shark posted:

Is that the Z-whatever converter that's official for Lamys?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

effika posted:

It's certainly the easiest thing to try. If ink is coming out from around the piston, it definitely needs to be replaced anyway.

unkle77 posted:

Is that the Z-whatever converter that's official for Lamys?

Yeah, the Z26. I'll go with a Z24/28 (the red one) next time. I bought it at the relatively inflated North America price too, which is annoying since it started leaking almost right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do the Sheaffer 300 or Taranis feel compared to the Metro in terms of weight and balance? I passed my MCSE last night and I'm now allowed to buy a Ferrari pen if I want. It's probably the only Ferrari in Rosso Corsa I'll ever own but I like the Metro for feeling nice and dense. FPH has the 300 available to sample but no Taranis.