Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

The dumbbells in my gym are too small for me there's another new pair of 50kgs on the racks but still nothing heavier ffs.

Any tips for one arm rowing a barbell in a way that would massively inconvenience everyone around me? For a start I'd have to build some sort of platform to get the right height and range of motion.

Do Meadows rows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The dumbbells in my gym are too small for me there's another new pair of 50kgs on the racks but still nothing heavier ffs.

Any tips for one arm rowing a barbell in a way that would massively inconvenience everyone around me? For a start I'd have to build some sort of platform to get the right height and range of motion.

Cable machine available? Set it low and pull with a handle attachment. Experiment with the height. Gonna need to plant yourself when it gets heavy for you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dum Cumpster posted:

Do Meadows rows.

His back is disgusting

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Tie it to the end of your dick and meatspin.gif

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It was Bench day 1+ so I hit my amrap for a conservative amount and decided to do heavy singles after. I managed to get 195 pretty easy for 1 rep, and was going for 200. I was super hyped and when I started it, my brother put his hands all over the bar as soon as I hit my grinding spot. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Sludge Tank posted:

is anyone else usually really weak after a deload week? My deadlifts today were certainly not exceptional. :smith:
yeah me. But I gain the strength back in like 1 or 2 workouts and come back better rested. I'm glad I took it this time.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 31, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

I've been toying with the idea of a very low testosterone cycle to assist with my recovery and energy levels. Maybe 200mg a week or something, but i cant afford it.

go get your T checked at the doctor. Clomid hasn't been great but it has helped me some with recovery and fatigue and it's cheap as poo poo(My T last time was 484, it tested at 190 before I started taking it). And he's gonna let me on liquid T if I'm still not feeling the clomid next time and that's only about 30-50 a month without insurance he said.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It was Bench day 1+ so I hit my amrap for a conservative amount and decided to do heavy singles after. I managed to get 195 pretty easy for 1 rep, and was going for 200. I was super hyped and when I started it, my brother put his hands all over the bar as soon as I hit my grinding spot. AHHHHHHHHHHH

yeah me. But I gain the strength back in like 1 or 2 workouts and come back better rested. I'm glad I took it this time.

Yeah I nailed my bench today too, got 10 reps of 120kg easy.

Do you mean 195kg for a single?!?!

I'll look into getting my T tested. It's something I've never given much thought too but it would explain a lot like my micropenis and non existent sex life.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
No, just lbs. I've always been a weakling. Kept hitting a wall around 140-150x5 when I was doing the SS stuff, over and over. I just hopped on 5/3/1 a bit early but I'm glad I did. With all my hours I work and my T issues, my body can keep up with the pace of 5/3/1 and I've been making slow but consistent gains since.

Also I don't think I've had an injury in a few months. The only thing "wrong" with me right now is sometimes my scapula area goes numb for a few seconds but that's happened on and off for the past 10 years so I just kind of ignore it. I *think* it gets better when I lacrosse ball my back, so probably just a nerve getting pinched between some tight muscles

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 31, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

No, just lbs. I've always been a weakling. Kept hitting a wall around 140-150x5 when I was doing the SS stuff, over and over. I just hopped on 5/3/1 a bit early but I'm glad I did. With all my hours I work and my T issues, my body can keep up with the pace of 5/3/1 and I've been making slow but consistent gains since.

Also I don't think I've had an injury in a few months. The only thing "wrong" with me right now is sometimes my scapula area goes numb for a few seconds but that's happened on and off for the past 10 years so I just kind of ignore it. I *think* it gets better when I lacrosse ball my back, so probably just a nerve getting pinched between some tight muscles

Not trying to sound condescending but do you retract your scapulas when you bench? As in drop your shoulders and squeeze your shoulder blades together? It took a couple of years for someone to point out I was benching wrong and setting myself up for injury and show me how to properly set up for bench press,. I didn't realise it wasn't just as simple as "move bar to and away from your chest".

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I do, but I have to really focus to make sure I don't push the bar too far out and lose tightness. If my numb shoulder thing is what made you think of that, I don't think it has to do with the gym. It's happened occasionally since I was like 20 and going to the gym really hasn't affected it one way or the other.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Deadlifted today and matched last Friday's PR of 315 for 4 reps, and then bumped it up to 335 and got 2 :getin:

Went for 345 and got it about 5 inches off the ground before I gassed out. Soon.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just did 352 pounds x3, or, like normal folk say, 160kg x3 on my deadlift yesterday. For a small dude like me that's pretty decent and the best part was that it wasn't even that heavy. Next time I'm adding on another 10kg :getin:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I want to see your beautiful European body, Zzulu. :fh:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'm just getting back into lifting after just pure cardio (95% cycling) the last 6 months. Squatted last night and oh boy I'm walking like Frankenstein's monster today and am all set for Halloween now.

I'm going to need to watch a video on trap bar deadlifts because they didn't feel much like conventional to me, and being big and tall my normal stance had my hands hitting my legs during the lift. It seemed much more quad dominant, which might be the point, or might be because I squatted earlier in the workout.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You guys do squats and deadlifts in the same workout? :stare:

How u not die

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zzulu posted:

How u not die

I wondered this for the longest time and then I tried it and for some bizarro reason it's not that bad at all. I'm having some trouble progressing with squats but my DL progress has been consistent and solid. (I squat first so I don't think doing both in the same workout has anything to do with my squat issues). I'm still not sure why it doesn't absolutely destroy my legs, but there you go :iiam:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zzulu posted:

How u not die

Build up work capacity over time. Don't hit some crazy volume and intensity for squats and then try to deadlift too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zzulu posted:

How u not die

The BBB routine for 5/3/1 is pretty good. Do your main squat/deadlift and then do 5x10 of the other at half weight. I guess you do die at the end though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sounds easier just to do more volume of one then do the other another day.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

Sounds easier just to do more volume of one then do the other another day.

But then you miss out on lifting heavy.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bamhand posted:

But then you miss out on lifting heavy.

Fun fact- you can do both

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zzulu posted:

How u not die

I just imagine Mark Rippetoe intoning "hiiiip driiiihhhve" repeatedly

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

How u not die

I'm working my way back into the swing of things with hilariously light weight to try to avoid DOMs, but some amount is just unavoidable. I did both yesterday because I probably won't have a chance to lift tonight because of Halloween.

Plenty of routines have you doing both squats and deadlifts in the same day, usually 1 is heavy low reps and the other is light high reps.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Time posted:

Fun fact- you can do both

But then aren't you doing the exact thing I first suggested?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bamhand posted:

But then aren't you doing the exact thing I first suggested?

He was saying to go heavy on squats and then back off and do volume work on squats on the same day. Then the same thing for DL on another day. I think. There is probably no noticeable difference in development between doing this and doing squats and deadlifts in the same day using the template you talked about.

Just like everything else do what works for you and also the actual lifting routine part is probably the least important component of the whole thing anyway

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everything works as long as you enjoy doing it and take steroids.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
And also if you don’t take steroids, it just works less

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Squat + DL on the same day, 3 days/week rules. Doubly so if you alternate back/front squat and sumo/conventional DLs. Why would you ever want to do upper body?

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Squat + DL on the same day, 3 days/week rules. Doubly so if you alternate back/front squat and sumo/conventional DLs. Why would you ever want to do upper body?

This but unironically.

I've got like 8lbs left to lose before I start actually bulking for winter. Too bad I have no self control, which is why my summer cut failed. Got some fingerless boxing gloves and already bruised my hands. Fall sucks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Upper body stuff is good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps during the same workout? like 1x10 @ 70%, 1x8 at 75%, 1x6 at 80%, etc.

I've got this issue with my squats and bench where I can do 10 reps at, for example, 105lb, but can barely finish 5 reps at 115lb, and I'm trying to break past that. Been stuck at the same super-low weights on those 2 exercises for a few weeks now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Another 2.5kg added to my press and it wasn't even that grindy.

Time posted:

Upper body stuff is good

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps during the same workout? like 1x10 @ 70%, 1x8 at 75%, 1x6 at 80%, etc.

I've got this issue with my squats and bench where I can do 10 reps at, for example, 105lb, but can barely finish 5 reps at 115lb, and I'm trying to break past that. Been stuck at the same super-low weights on those 2 exercises for a few weeks now.

"Pyramid sets" or "pyramid training"

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I did bicep curls yesterday for the first time and felt so much shame

What have I become

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
One of us!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lol if you are blasting arms all the time

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Time posted:

Lol if you aren't blasting arms all the time

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I'm recovering from a forearm strain.

My solution? More curls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Sludge Tank posted:

I did bicep curls yesterday for the first time and felt so much shame

What have I become

Make sure you throw in some reverse curls.