Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Immanentized posted:

Calling it now.
They're gonna get Hope Hicks to spill some serious poo poo. She's been flying under the radar, but she has been in on almost everything since day 1, and as seems to be tradition for the current admin, has had access to some stupidly high level goings on despite her limited role.

She's like 29 or something, no way she lets this bag of geriatrics drag her down.

I can only hope she's the one unnamed in this DOJ doc

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4163986/Mueller-Grand-Jury-201710.pdf

e; nevermind, she's not a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
He's now Georgie Papadop.

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/925181377988792320

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Chuck Tingle is a drat national treasure. When he donated all the profits from one of his books to the ACLU I bought that one, I have no idea how he writes them but I think its some sort of Markov chain paragraph generator where he can just change words midway and let it continue generating.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

M_Gargantua posted:

Chuck Tingle is a drat national treasure. When he donated all the profits from one of his books to the ACLU I bought that one, I have no idea how he writes them but I think its some sort of Markov chain paragraph generator where he can just change words midway and let it continue generating.

Two Time Hugo nominee? Wow he's moving up!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

Two Time Hugo nominee? Wow he's moving up!

The Two Time Hugo is a prestigious award.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I feel like any time poo poo gets serious, Trump goes quiet and does what he's supposed to for a day, maybe as much as a week, then loses his poo poo from the strain of not immediately giving in to his id and doubles down.

Basically, ask yourself "what is the stupidest possible thing he could do?" And then wait a few days.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
poo poo himself on live TV as he suffers a stroke from the stress

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So are we gonna invade Iran or N. Korea?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

So in your example, you compartmentalized racism, and then told me it isn't racist.

No, I'm saying that telling people that it's impossible to draw a meaningful distinction between living in a Sundown Town and opposing affirmative action because they're both racism, and that they are racist for even thinking such a distinction is possible, is going to sell like a snowcone in winter, and is likely to be a staggeringly unsuccessful tactic, if your goal is to convince people to be less racist, rather than just score conversational points.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 31, 2017

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bengy81 posted:

So are we gonna invade Iran or N. Korea?

Chad

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What the gently caress, John?

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/925184368930443265

And I need this framed.

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/925180758968422401

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

M_Gargantua posted:

Chuck Tingle suffers from schizophrenia. His son did a reddit AMA. He's got a bunch of mental issues but his tinglers provide him an outlet.

Imagine caro writing gay erotica.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was going to frame this.

It showed up a few days after the election. I'm still holding onto it hoping that this nightmare will end.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

facialimpediment posted:

What the gently caress, John?

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/925188213718863873
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/925189571205390336
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/925188768428150784

I've changed my mind, I'm super happy Kelly's serving as the verbal punching bag of a giant rotting orange because he could be giving advice to someone with brains.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Office Pig posted:

I've changed my mind, I'm super happy Kelly's serving as the verbal punching bag of a giant rotting orange because he could be giving advice to someone with brains.

Once again I find myself asking, what the ever loving gently caress?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CNN popcorn time

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I read in some article many many moons ago, in the before-time, someone comparing Trump to a vampire that doesn't live on human blood but instead consumes human credibility to stay alive/in power. Kelly is apparently one of his victims.

Wonder when it's Mattis' turn.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
e: not high enough to make this statement

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 31, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Smiling Jack posted:

I know he's a o rah four star devil dog and all that poo poo but has it occurred to any of you that Kelly is batshit insane and a trump supporter

Just gonna not emptyquote myself

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The FBI is throwing their hat in the Whitefish contract ring. Weird that they're investigating something that happened so long ago.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, I'm saying that telling people that it's impossible to draw a meaningful distinction between living in a Sundown Town and opposing affirmative action because they're both racism, and that they are racist for even thinking such a distinction is possible, is going to sell like a snowcone in winter, and is likely to be a staggeringly unsuccessful tactic, if your goal is to convince people to be less racist, rather than just score conversational points.

Well, I don’t know what a Sundown Town is but 1) living somewhere doesn’t make you racist by default and 2) opposing affirmative action?

Do I think they are gonna have a eureka moment and not be racist? gently caress no. Am I gonna call them on their bullshit? Absolutely.

And it’s not controversial, it’s truth. Any compartmentalizations of racism is gonna fall apart in any logic test. “I ain’t racist, I love Mexicans, as long as they are fuckin my white womens and act like the whites do. None of this “Toma Guey!” Spanish poo poo. This is America, not Mexico.” Paraphrasing.

Try this. Draw a circle, put racism in it. Any racist thought goes here. Draw another circle, put what your other thoughts are about that race in there. If that poo poo over laps for any reason, to include singular examples like “they’re not black because they don’t act black.” That poo poo is racist. What the gently caress is acting black? You just Venn Diagramed racism.

People should be judged based on their actions. The minute the color of the skin becomes an issue, it becomes racist. The minute their gender is negatively involved, it’s sexist.

Having two opposing views about people of the same color is wrong. I used to think that way. It wasn’t until I loving realized “I’m wrong,” that I changed. I never viewed myself as a racist because I never hated blacks. I’d tell you how there was a difference between blacks and “The N-Word” (what I’d actually say, because I am not dumb). Who the gently caress am I to decide what moral, ethical, or professional status this person has to achieve before they don’t fit that status? It varies from person to person. There is no universal measurement to determine the difference between a black person and a racial slur. What happens about the people who are lost and confused because their history is pretty hosed and they are still figuring out their identity? You don’t get to make that choice.

I don’t expect racist people to be smart. Judging people based on appearances is loving stupid.

I REALLY want there to be like an opposite racism skit where these black women clutch their purses and hurry whenever a White man in a business suit walks by. What was that movie? Trading places? I forget the movie but I remember the goddamn ketchup scene.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

living in a sundown town makes you super fuckin racist but I'm pretty sure they don't openly exist anymore

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
A Sundown town is a municipality where African Americans weren't allowed to be in after sunset, by law or by threat of force (or both), effectively preventing them from living in certain areas. Depressingly common in the North during the first half of the 20th century.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh like Mississippi Burning poo poo. Got you. Argument still valid. I lived in Radcliff, KY near some KKK cells but never got involved.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chuck Tingle suffers from schizophrenia. His son did a reddit AMA. He's got a bunch of mental issues but his tinglers provide him an outlet.

I'm firmly in the camp that Chuck Tingle is an elaborate performance art piece.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/10/18/12775742/who-is-chuck-tingle-fake-explained

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Anybody still want to bet Kelly doesn't commit some perjury before this is over?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I did an email interview of Mr Tingle once upon a time for a website I used to run, and he or whoever plays him is totally legit

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Robert E Lee was also very against confederate monuments. Funny how people ignore that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Soulex posted:

Robert E Lee was also very against confederate monuments. Funny how people ignore that.

Building monuments to the losers just isn't sporting.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Soulex please do not engage Dead Reckoning, the worst poster in this thread

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Soulex please do not engage Dead Reckoning, the worst poster in this thread

Only if you can't tell the difference between explaining and supporting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have an idea for a Confederate memorial. Robert E. Lee crying in an overflowing diaper.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A Sundown town is a municipality where African Americans weren't allowed to be in after sunset, by law or by threat of force (or both), effectively preventing them from living in certain areas. Depressingly common in the North during the first half of the 20th century.

Depressingly common in the north, just a thing in the south.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Y'know the only member of the Obama Administration that got convicted of anything was General Betray Us, who we can all agree deserved it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Depressingly common in the north, just a thing in the south.

'Sundown State' sounds like it could be an actual state motto.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

Do I think they are gonna have a eureka moment and not be racist? gently caress no. Am I gonna call them on their bullshit? Absolutely.

For whose benefit is this? If you aren't intending to persuade, what's the point?

Soulex posted:

Try this. Draw a circle, put racism in it. Any racist thought goes here. Draw another circle, put what your other thoughts are about that race in there. If that poo poo over laps for any reason, to include singular examples like “they’re not black because they don’t act black.” That poo poo is racist. What the gently caress is acting black? You just Venn Diagramed racism.

People should be judged based on their actions. The minute the color of the skin becomes an issue, it becomes racist. The minute their gender is negatively involved, it’s sexist.
This was... not where I was expecting you to go with this discussion, and it's a bit different from the way a lot of people examine racism today.

Yeah, OK, most people accept that calling your son's black girlfriend "one of the good ones" is indeed pretty racist, but what about defending the continued use of standardized testing as the primary determinant in college admissions and civil service jobs, not because of the persistent gap in scores between whites and blacks, but in spite of it? Because plenty of people would call that position "racist," even though it rationally has nothing to do with racial animus.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Slim Pickens posted:

'Sundown State' sounds like it could be an actual state motto.

Or the POTUS' mental state, on or around 2:30PM

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

Y'know the only member of the Obama Administration that got convicted of anything was General Betray Us, who we can all agree deserved it.

That's because the FBI, a notoriously liberal organization, is full of partisan Democrats.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Soulex posted:

Oh like Mississippi Burning poo poo. Got you. Argument still valid. I lived in Radcliff, KY near some KKK cells but never got involved.

My folks live in E-Town. Radcliff is Harlem compared to say shepherdsville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

Well, I don’t know what a Sundown Town is but 1) living somewhere doesn’t make you racist by default and 2) opposing affirmative action?

And it’s not controversial, it’s truth. Any compartmentalizations of racism is gonna fall apart in any logic test. “I ain’t racist, I love Mexicans, as long as they are fuckin my white womens and act like the whites do. None of this “Toma Guey!” Spanish poo poo. This is America, not Mexico.” Paraphrasing.

Having two opposing views about people of the same color is wrong. I used to think that way. It wasn’t until I loving realized “I’m wrong,” that I changed. I never viewed myself as a racist because I never hated blacks. I’d tell you how there was a difference between blacks and “The N-Word” (what I’d actually say, because I am not dumb). Who the gently caress am I to decide what moral, ethical, or professional status this person has to achieve before they don’t fit that status? It varies from person to person. There is no universal measurement to determine the difference between a black person and a racial slur. What happens about the people who are lost and confused because their history is pretty hosed and they are still figuring out their identity? You don’t get to make that choice.

I don’t expect racist people to be smart. Judging people based on appearances is loving stupid.

I REALLY want there to be like an opposite racism skit where these black women clutch their purses and hurry whenever a White man in a business suit walks by. What was that movie? Trading places? I forget the movie but I remember the goddamn ketchup scene.

Hey I just want you to know what I really appreciate your ability to self reflect and enact change.

I had to undergo a similar transformation. The Internet libertarian ideas I had as a teen had to change; what you doing is much like what I did. I wanted to be more discrete and say that some things were okay and others weren't, just because I was uncomfortable confronting ugly things I taught myself through what others taught me.

I shared the Venn diagram portion of your post unedited, because it is a simple and concise way if addressing what needs to change in your thoughts.

• Locked thread