Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Serf posted:

It amazes me how people think he was serious when they roped him into some meeting about the Force Unleashed and he wanted to use names like Darth Icky or Insanius.

He used the name Darth Tyranus. He was probably being serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yaws posted:

He used the name Darth Tyranus. He was probably being serious.

You went for this over Darth Sidious? :cmon:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

George Lucas cares (or cared) hugely about Star Wars, but not at all in the sense of fiction being "gossip about imaginary people" which really drives EU-building, etc.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Serf posted:

You went for this over Darth Sidious? :cmon:

I had the chance for a dope rhyme and I blew it :smith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't buy that, if only because I don't think you can create a series over the course of six films and however many decades and not take it seriously.

However, there's certainly a difference between him and the typical fan about what they find important within the films.

He took it seriously, but he was also able to poke fun at it as well. Robot Chicken, The Family Guy specials. I knew of people who were upset at these, because they felt it disrespected the story.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

It amazes me how people think he was serious when they roped him into some meeting about the Force Unleashed and he wanted to use names like Darth Icky or Insanius.

Darth Icky honestly is a better name than that game ultimately deserved.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Darth Insanius is a genuinely better name than "Kylo Ren"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Or Snoke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

josh04 posted:

"gossip about imaginary people"

I like this phrase a lot but I'm having difficulty finding an elaboration, just some second-hand attributions to an unspecified work of Gayatri Spivak. By chance can you help me read more about this?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

That's Insanius

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Remember, you have to drop the "in" part of any Sith title that uses a word beginning with those two letters

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Darth Sane

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

I said this before but George Lucas is the best simply because he doesn't take Star Wars as seriously as Star Wars fans do. Watch any behind the scenes stuff, and he's more likely to call them "laser swords" than "lightsabers", and he freaking invented the name.

I remember a couple of years ago at a Star Wars fan film convention, people got upset at him for picking, as the fan film of the year, a animated short about a child singing about getting a Boba Fett action figure. Fans thought it was disrespectful that he would choose that over something that expanded the lore and used SFX.

A bunch of writers and creatives I've seen take their work very seriously but get used to calling the objects by their archetypes for a myriad of reasons. Sometimes it's because it's more intuitive to refer by other names, sometimes it's because that's how it was the script for a long time before they cemented the final name and that's how it stuck in their brains.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bongo Bill posted:

I like this phrase a lot but I'm having difficulty finding an elaboration, just some second-hand attributions to an unspecified work of Gayatri Spivak. By chance can you help me read more about this?

I had the exact same experience before posting; I'd have said it was apocryphal except that it's quoted at the beginning of this essay by Candace Vogler which was published in a respectable journal.

It's possible Gayatri Spivak said it at some well-known talk or conference pre-internet, though it's surprising it doesn't turn up in any authentic-looking Google Books.

I did find this paragraph from her introduction to Derrida's "Of Grammatology" which says something similar, but obviously it's a lot heavier in analytical language and a lot less snappy.

quote:

Traditional textual interpretation founds itself on this particular under-standing of metaphor: a
detour to truth. Not only individual metaphors or systems of metaphors, but fiction in general
is seen as a detour to a truth that the critic can deliver through her interpretation. We do not
usually examine the premises of this familiar situation. If we did, we would find, of course,
that not only is there no pure language that is free from metaphor-the metaphor “is therefore
involved in the field it would be the purpose of a general ‘metaphorology’ to subsume” (MP
261, WM 18); we would find also that the idea that fiction begins in the truth of the author and
ends in the uncovering of that truth by the critic is given the lie by our critical and
pedagogical practice. Although we customarily say that the text is autonomous and selfsufficient,
there would be no justification for our activity if we did not feel that the text
needed interpretation. The so-called secondary material is not a simple adjunct to the socalled
primary text. The latter inserts itself within the interstices of the former, filling holes
that are always already there. Even as it adds itself to the text, criticism supplies a lack in the
text and the gaps in the chain of criticism anterior to it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

George Lucas strikes me as the sort of guy who likes to gently caress with people. Got a deadpan sense of humor and doesn't particularly care if nobody else gets the joke.

That he doesn't particularly care if anyone else gets what he's doing, joke or not, is evident with the prequels; recall the stories about the panic he caused everyone around him with The Phantom Menace when they felt no one was going to go see it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I said this before but George Lucas is the best simply because he doesn't take Star Wars as seriously as Star Wars fans do. Watch any behind the scenes stuff, and he's more likely to call them "laser swords" than "lightsabers", and he freaking invented the name.
I thought I remember some (probably apocryphal) story where he used laser swords instead of lightsaber right up until everyone around him started copying him on that, then switched back to lightsaber.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mass media exists in Star Wars but nobody makes a big deal because there are always laser fights breaking out everywhere.

Isn't it fair to say that mass media is the only thing that exists in Star Wars?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Davros1 posted:

Shouldn't it be "Darth Sanius"?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I really do like that after leaving his cowardly liberal family and their culture behind, he gave up the name they gave him, Ben, and adopted a new name more suitable to his new political outlook: Kyle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kylo is a great school shooter name.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A guy from my town who kidnapped and murdered two girls is named Kylr; it checks out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He sould have gone for Kamille instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

josh04 posted:

I had the exact same experience before posting; I'd have said it was apocryphal except that it's quoted at the beginning of this essay by Candace Vogler which was published in a respectable journal.

It's possible Gayatri Spivak said it at some well-known talk or conference pre-internet, though it's surprising it doesn't turn up in any authentic-looking Google Books.

I did find this paragraph from her introduction to Derrida's "Of Grammatology" which says something similar, but obviously it's a lot heavier in analytical language and a lot less snappy.

Thanks!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

josh04 posted:

I did find this paragraph from her introduction to Derrida's "Of Grammatology"

While not strictly relevant it's a good-rear end paragraph anyway

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I thought I remember some (probably apocryphal) story where he used laser swords instead of lightsaber right up until everyone around him started copying him on that, then switched back to lightsaber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOjPBBvBe2c

Also, I can't find the video, but Colbert had a cool anecdote about winning a radio contest (?) and getting sneak preview tickets to Star Wars in 77, it blew his mind etc., and he has a decent claim on being one of the first Star Wars superfans.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsieurChoc posted:

He sould have gone for Kamille instead.

Please, Kylo is the most likely person in this series to be crippled and kicked down a cliff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

sKYwalker-soLO

Also, you know who should direct a Star Wars?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That he doesn't particularly care if anyone else gets what he's doing, joke or not, is evident with the prequels; recall the stories about the panic he caused everyone around him with The Phantom Menace when they felt no one was going to go see it.

Didn't he give either NSync or the Backstreet Boys cameos as Jedi that he ended up having to edit out because of the massive backlash?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Please, Kylo is the most likely person in this series to be crippled and kicked down a cliff.

Actually, thinking about it, if Kylo is anyone from Gundam, he's Hathaway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, thinking about it, if Kylo is anyone from Gundam, he's Hathaway.

I was about to ask which AU has him live and his father die when I realized--this is it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

I was about to ask which AU has him live and his father die when I realized--this is it.

His name is Kylo Ren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCBMar9GE5c

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

George Lucas strikes me as the sort of guy who likes to gently caress with people. Got a deadpan sense of humor and doesn't particularly care if nobody else gets the joke.

yeah, i dont know how anyone can doubt this after the star wars blu rays.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

noooooooooo was brilliant

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikXP1NT_eZA

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Didn't he give either NSync or the Backstreet Boys cameos as Jedi that he ended up having to edit out because of the massive backlash?

That I do not know.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

NSync and kiiiinda. And now that I look it up, there's even a modern day mystery element to it

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/nsync-star-wars_n_6811956.html

“Here I am, big fat gently caress Jedi Knight trying to be all cool, and I scissor kick, and the next thing you know — I poo poo on myself,” he told HuffPost. “It was pretty embarrassing.”

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 1, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

Also, you know who should direct a Star Wars?

Yes please.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

teagone posted:

Yes please.

Agree. I think Snyder's "style" is very similar to the late George Lucas.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ingmar terdman posted:

NSync and kiiiinda. And now that I look it up, there's even a modern day mystery element to it

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/nsync-star-wars_n_6811956.html

“Here I am, big fat gently caress Jedi Knight trying to be all cool, and I scissor kick, and the next thing you know — I poo poo on myself,” he told HuffPost. “It was pretty embarrassing.”

Not hard to read between the lines that George Lucas scammed N'Sync into meeting his daughter with the promise of being in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

90s George Lucas hanging out at No Doubt concerts, laughing off the Brothers Fatone owns