Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Boosts of different sources stack multiplicatively, while those of the same source stack additively. Thus, you should have as many boosts of varying types as possible.

So for instance, if you had +10% Fire damage only, an additional +30% Spellblade bonus would give better results (1.1x1.3) than a +30% Fire damage bonus (1.4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Dumb question, but is there an easy way to tell when I should bring a + element RM vs a + skill type RM?

I'm looking at my Sealion team and Celes has her BSB1 for fire damage, along with a Red Jacket for + fire damage, and +fire damage magicites. She also has her legend dive for +9% spellblade damage. Do I pick a + fire RM, or a + Spellblade? Does it matter?

The answer is kind of complicated and has to do with the way that similar buffs stack. Long story short is that you should diversify your types of damage buffs. By which I mean "+X% damage <in this circumstance>" -- as long as the required circumstances are different, they stack multiplicatively. If the circumstances are the same, they may depending on what type of buff it is stack additively, which is worse. In your example, you'd probably be best off using Tyro's RM4 (+30% damage when exploiting weakness), although it's possible her own RM4 (+40% Spellblade damage) might be better. I'd have to do the math. It's not going to be a huge difference either way.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
What's a good banner to pull on for a player that barely plays and typically just logs in everyday for the login bonuses? I've progressed through the realm dungeons to get myself 40 stamina and ive played some of the renewal dungeons, but that's it. I've done a couple pulls and got some good stuff but still have no idea what I'm doing.

Anyways, I have enough for a pull. Any suggestions?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Dumb question, but is there an easy way to tell when I should bring a + element RM vs a + skill type RM?

Soul breaks don't have a skill type, so skill type RMs are better if you're going to be relying on abilities for damage more than SBs. And I'd guess that means literally not using SBs for damage at all.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

jjef posted:

What's a good banner to pull on for a player that barely plays and typically just logs in everyday for the login bonuses? I've progressed through the realm dungeons to get myself 40 stamina and ive played some of the renewal dungeons, but that's it. I've done a couple pulls and got some good stuff but still have no idea what I'm doing.

Wait for the FFTA banner, probably. Best bang for your buck for a long time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jjef posted:

The current BRA*BRA banner is also really good if you need buffs, the USBs and BSBs are all pretty drat good, while the SSBs are middling the odds are stacked in your favor.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Before y'all ask: 1) Library > Characters, 2) Cid Missions, 3) Upgrade and Equipment screen halfway down.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I say this every week but I had the definitive pub mp party this week. Four healers, three supports, one dps.

At least one of the supports was Vaan so my Lightning didn't have to do all of the work.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I say this every week but I had the definitive pub mp party this week. Four healers, three supports, one dps.

At least one of the supports was Vaan so my Lightning didn't have to do all of the work.

That doesn't seem right.

The ideal pubbie party is mostly DPS characters selected from the following three: Cloud, Lightning, Orlandeau. Then each of them has either Aerith, Y'shtola or Tyro as the supporting character. Then you shuffle the front/back positions at completely random. What SB's the characters have is irrelevant. Everyone has either Lifesiphon or Wrath, but never Dr. Mog's or MM. If they do, they'll still have Lifesiphon or Wrath equipped. No DPS oriented skills shall ever be used. No Protectga or Shellga, either. Wall is all you need. Especially when you don't have Wall.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I was able to win with like the first group I've ever seen using Auron as a primary DPS (with some gray haired character imperiling fire, not sure who it was). Two Yunas, a Wall/Y'shtola, OKBSB, Setzer USBSB and Minifilia using Last Stand were more than enough to take the fucker down.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Threw another 10 pull at the XV banner to see if I could pull a medica or something else good

Managed to get Iris’s LMR and another gladiolus’ SSB. So I guess I’m running iris, mog, glad, noctis and someone else for now

Also had some gems and did manage to pull ramzas LMR out of a dollar pull

Gonna hoard mythril now for that FFT banner maybe?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Problem: need to do 180 cm with Laguna. Laguna is useless.
Solution: Laguna equips Tiny Bee and heals with the auto attack->heal RM.

Who said this is a useless relic, more like enabling machinists relic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Garnet's Light Armor buff let me squeak Bismarck down in ~35s. Getting closer, but I'd probably need a third MAG buff or wait til she can Legend Dive to sub-30.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I got in one last pull on the II event before it went away hoping for a miracle Minwu USB.

Got Ricard's BSB instead.

I'm completely fine with this outcome though, it's a good burst and is one of the ones that doesn't get immediately pushed out by the Ability Buff Pass since it has Dragoon Damage Up on CMD2. Also after all that time of Ricard being the laughing stock of the game for not having relics to his name I have a soft spot for the poor guy and am happy he has a good thing. :unsmith:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Currently grinding out all the catchup banners cause im an idiot. Up to ff10 now. I play on a pc emulator when im home and have three days off. Lets see if i ca full clear.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Hey are those Newcomers' welcome relic draws at 1/2 price worthwhile, or are they bad even at 25 mythril for 11 pulls?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

GladRagKraken posted:

Hey are those Newcomers' welcome relic draws at 1/2 price worthwhile, or are they bad even at 25 mythril for 11 pulls?

They bad

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
they're pretty drat bad banners, half price or not

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've collected all the drat mythril and it's time to go a la carte for the completions of each dungeon. It's almost weird not to use refreshes at this point, but drat did that add to my fat stack. I'm going to go over 900 mythril for the heck of it and prob go at least 2 pulls per good upcoming banner.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Japan added a QoL upgrade that shows how many of the stages you've cleared underneath each event banner.

My GOD this would have saved a lot of time with those Renewal events.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Horray, another Who do I Dive post.

I've got Dex/Bra/Vit motes planned for a Shadow and Shelke dive, so I've got some Wisdom/Spirit motes burning a hole in my pocket. Anyone have any experience with the following:
- Lightning magic candidates: Shantotto, Ashe, Rapha (and I guess Marach). I have only BSBs for these characters.
- Lulu: USB, BSB and SSB.
- Vivi: No relics but people sure like that trance
- Deuce: Just pulled her SSB and BSB. That SSB is one of my better Super's and it sure helped with the current MP fight. I've seen some hype with her as a healer with the +ATK/MAG entry on the burst, plus the addition of cool bard stuff down the road. (I do have a Vanille as my current doublecasting healer right now)
Doing nothing is also a reasonable option, although not sure what banners I'm waiting on right now.

I finally got around to tackling the dark magicite. I can't seem to deal with the instant KO gimmick as smoothly as others, but I've got sub-60 down. I dusted off Hope with a BSB/OSB combo and that did some serious work.

Philouza fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 30, 2017

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shock Trooper posted:

Japan added a QoL upgrade that shows how many of the stages you've cleared underneath each event banner.

GOD DAMNIT!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

djfooboo posted:

GOD DAMNIT!

Yeah, I saw that when I logged in today and had the same thought.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shock Trooper posted:

DeNA is reading my posts!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep this is me, for every single event ever. I wish they could put like a mastered tag on event banners when you finish everything like they do for the individual dungeons.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

will I ever need two ff7 synergy instruments or should I just use one of these Battle Trumpets to augment a good weapon

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

:sax:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Augment.

(If you get one of his newer megaphones on a lucky draw, I think they're better than the trumpet, anyway.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You could also combine them

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was so upset and my lovely pulls lately that I asked my coworker to pull for me.

3/11

Ace LMR (I have no relics for him...)
Deuce BSB
Deuce LMR (dupe)

I now am only missing Deuce's USB, and from what it sounds like, I really walked away with the better deal there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

You could also combine them

This is the better choice, rosetta stones are so plentiful that using a relic, even a lovely one, in place of a stone is kind of a waste.

I have an 8* megaphone and it gives me a few extra seconds for Shout, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 31, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The old banners was amazing for a semi-newbie. I got everyone unlocked, their T1 crystals, most of the T2 crystals (and enough extras to fill gaps), and my stockpile of T3 is up to 13 of them for guys I decide to advance. Plus a massive pile of orbs, a handful of various 5* skills, and what, 400-450 mythril?

But man, what a slog. Waiting for stamina instead of doing mythril restores and rushing everything feels so relaxing now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hopefully by tomorrow or Wednesday I should finally be done with farming XP from the elite Alexandria Castle Dungeons (aided by the ludicrous mythril supply from all those Renewal events). Reaching the point where I just don't care about XP at all (beyond magicites) because everyone's at the cap of 80 or 99 will be kinda surreal, all things considered.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I made this ridiculous thing

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
man those arms are going to stay nice and toasty

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Bruceski posted:

The old banners was amazing for a semi-newbie. I got everyone unlocked, their T1 crystals, most of the T2 crystals (and enough extras to fill gaps), and my stockpile of T3 is up to 13 of them for guys I decide to advance. Plus a massive pile of orbs, a handful of various 5* skills, and what, 400-450 mythril?

But man, what a slog. Waiting for stamina instead of doing mythril restores and rushing everything feels so relaxing now.

I have 15 full events left. Kill me.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Where the hell is that last trick or treat point?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Not all events warrant a clear. Look at the IV event Burning Blade after all the mythril stages are done.

380 stamina, for:
A decent accessory
15 majors
1 rosetta
A bunch of growth eggs and greaters

Is that worth 2 mythril plus your time?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captainsalami posted:

Where the hell is that last trick or treat point?

From reddit:
Day 1

Library - Giant Dr. Mog in costumeItem Chest - Pumpkin icon near "Chest Contents" textParty - Bat Icon at top near "Party Members" text

Day 2 (thanks u/SeaborneMammal)

Cid's Missions - Ghost icon over Cid's FaceUpgrades & Inventory - Pumpkin icon next to Abilities and Orbs textLibrary - Characters - Bat icon at top near "Party Members" text

Day 3 (thanks u/arkibet)

Menu - Bat icon next to "Menu" textGysahl Exchange - On Fat Chocobo's FaceHall of Rites - Click Dr. Mog in the upper rightRelic Draw - Free Relic Draw - Pumpkin at bottom center of screen

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Mithross posted:

I made this ridiculous thing

3/20 augments? Scrub. :smug:

(Please don't augment armor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

(Please don't augment armor.)

I almost augmented one armor that I have. +Fire Armor for Refia, and Refia has a -Def aspect to her BSB. I almost augmented to eat a little less damage from random physical attacks. :v:

• Locked thread