Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
On a modern (or historical) German army figure? Cool, accuracy and all that.

On a Space Marine? Get your balaclavas, chances are he's a Nazi in need of a good punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

It's a symbol that the German military used during World War II, and neo-Nazis use it as a dog-whistle swastika. There's no need to give the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I would also think that a British company wouldn't be wild about displaying the symbol painted on the planes that carried out the Blitz but maybe that's giving GW too much credit.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Balkenkreutz is a symbol, like the similar Iron Cross, that was just a German military thing and in a vacuum doesn't explicitly constitute a hate symbol. I'd keep an eye on that guy of he were in my LGS though.

It's not quite an outright swastika, you're right. As pointed out, the German military still uses very similar insignia. If the dude is a German, it's no more than out of place, just like USA striped marines or having British regimental insignia. But given the historical interaction with the German military by English-speaking nations, I would definitely raise an eyebrow at someone in the uk or USA who picked that particular bit of out-of-place history to paint on their spacemen!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
It would almost make sense on a BT or original content doughnut steel Bundeswehr chapter, but that's a BA, which aren't German at all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Genghis Cohen posted:

It's not quite an outright swastika, you're right. As pointed out, the German military still uses very similar insignia. If the dude is a German, it's no more than out of place, just like USA striped marines or having British regimental insignia. But given the historical interaction with the German military by English-speaking nations, I would definitely raise an eyebrow at someone in the uk or USA who picked that particular bit of out-of-place history to paint on their spacemen!

Technically the Germans today (and pre-1918) use the cross pattée which is rounded and uncapped. The Balkenkreuz seen here was used from 1918-1945.

EDIT: Mostly I associate it with wargames that want to allow you to pilot a Tiger tank or something, but don't actually want to mention the Nazis.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What does "dog-whistle" in that context mean? That it's a quiet mention? Seems way less quiet than, say, a pre-apartheid south Africa flag.

When I get around to making a ww2 blitzkrieg army I'm gonna use cross pattee's for everything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Genghis Cohen posted:

If I had to give my most charitable read this guy is probably some historical grog who also plays Germany in Bolt Action but makes a big deal about how the Wermacht were very fine, honorable soldiers and not real Nazis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DiHK posted:

What does "dog-whistle" in that context mean? That it's a quiet mention? Seems way less quiet than, say, a pre-apartheid south Africa flag.

When I get around to making a ww2 blitzkrieg army I'm gonna use cross pattee's for everything.

Code words, essentially. Dog whistle racism in particular is racist stuff that you're only supposed to know if you're a fellow racist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like how I had to look up what the number 1488 means when used by a white nationalist.

It's just so dumb.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xarbala posted:

Like how I had to look up what the number 1488 means when used by a white nationalist.

It's just so dumb.

oh, have you been reading the tinder thread too?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

It'll bite yer legs off!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sad that you don't have a bunch of orks carrying it into battle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats sad isnt the model, its what happened to it. http://galaxyinflames.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/games-workshop-in-ruins.html

quote:

My buddy just sent me pics of the ruin that was built when we worked together at GW. It contains a corpse for everyone of the hobby centers staff members. The patrons of our shop absolutely loved the building. We hated to send it down to LA, in the end we should have kept it for ourselves.

This building went down in infamy after it was built and sent down to LA for Gamesday 2004. It was deemed inappropriate and was stomped to death by the staff of the LA Battle Bunker. It got the entire staff of our store a verbal thrashing for being inappropriate and not fostering the proper creativity in the hobby. It sure did make us northern Cali guys despise the ones from down south. So goes life!

No matter the sorted history I still think it was a shame that this creative ruin was destroyed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

moths posted:

Oh good, it's the blood and soil angels. :rolleyes:

This needs more love, and the people who destroyed that awesome model need to have their stuff stolen. Like what the gently caress, seriously, just send it back.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

loving hell, this is the exact kind of nerd humour that 40k once upon a time celebrated. 'Not fostering the proper creativity' my rear end.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What assholes! I bet it's the people like that why GW keeps ignoring Orks, the best and most iconic xeno race that they have. Not creative enough!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

God drat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, that is genuinely pretty hosed up what happened to it.

rip skelly workshop

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Some uptight assholes posted:

"proper creativity"

Said about a hobby that has an infamous rape diorama and loads of other tasteless poo poo.

RIP tiny game store, you were too perfect for this world.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
That's impressive

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

Oh good, it's the blood and soil angels. :rolleyes:

Not emptyquoting

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Skulls for the skull...skull?

Also, wrong thread. :colbert:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

:yohoho:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Loomer posted:

loving hell, this is the exact kind of nerd humour that 40k once upon a time celebrated. 'Not fostering the proper creativity' my rear end.

On the one hand, yeah, it was inappropriate, considering it was the company that gave them a paycheck. I don't care what company you work for - if you slam them, there are going to repercussions. Games Day was a high profile event, and most of the company big-wigs (and some from the UK) were probably there. It would be like working for Microsoft and wearing a "gently caress Micro$oft LOL" shirt to a yearly event and not expecting to be shitcanned.

On the other hand, it's awesome, and shouldn't have been stomped.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, they really should have plucked out the enslaved employees first.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, they really should have plucked out the enslaved employees first.

Yeah, it actually would have been perfectly acceptable to have the skeletons in there, if they just removed the chains...

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
" It was deemed inappropriate and was stomped to death by the staff of the LA Battle Bunker."

take that NERDS

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Y'see, that part makes think that there's a bit of stdh.txt going on. More likely it's rotting in someone's garage.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Eh I don't know, some of the comments described seeing it happen and named names of the ones responsible.

Shame it got smashed, once upon a time it'd have been featured in White Dwarf

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

On the one hand, yeah, it was inappropriate, considering it was the company that gave them a paycheck. I don't care what company you work for - if you slam them, there are going to repercussions. Games Day was a high profile event, and most of the company big-wigs (and some from the UK) were probably there. It would be like working for Microsoft and wearing a "gently caress Micro$oft LOL" shirt to a yearly event and not expecting to be shitcanned.

hahahahahahaha

yea ok

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

On the other hand, it's awesome, and shouldn't have been stomped.

There is no slam in that diorama you bitch

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this is the most petty GW thing ever

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Is Battle Bunker an official GW venue, or are nerds just angry that someone besmirched their hobby? I hate using the word, but it reads like some nerd being super insecure about his hobby.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

JcDent posted:

Is Battle Bunker an official GW venue, or are nerds just angry that someone besmirched their hobby? I hate using the word, but it reads like some nerd being super insecure about his hobby.

Battle Bunkers are the big GW stores

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

I dont see how those statements arent irreconcilable.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Games Workshop: no meta jokes allowed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Misleading customers about staff numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down