Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
During this tournament, Jason showed harumafuji's entire massive entrance with the ritual stomping, the whole costume and everything. He said he had no idea anyone cared, so he'd never considered it before, but then he said that since people were messaging him about it, he's going to start showing a full one every so often so people can see all the different styles the yokozuna are doing as they're all pretty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You miss a lot if you only watch the digests. There's the makuuchi dohyi-iri too, where each side of the banzuke gets up on the dohyo in their kensho mawashis and do a thing.

Not as exciting the yokozunas dohyo-iri but worth a look.

Platypus Farm posted:

...all the different styles the yokozuna are doing as they're all pretty different.

Even though there's only two types, the way each yokozuna performs them is pretty cool. I think Asashoryu's is one of the better ones.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Things I learnt from FB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56-61RH-nU

Stay to the end of a mild Hakuho burn on Kisenosato.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The yokozuna dohyoiri is cool in that it mostly matches the individual yokozuna’s fighting style. If you’re familiar with all of them but haven’t noticed, watch all of them. It’s neat and its own side show to all the action.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banzuke is published tomorrow! My friend and I did a sort of fantasy sumo basho during Aki. If anyone in this thread wants to play I'd be happy to organize it. The rules are as follows:

Choose one wrestler from each of the following ranks:

Y/O
S/K
M1-M5
M6-M10
M11+

for a total of 5 wrestlers. Points are awarded as follows:

5 pts for a yusho
3 pts for a jun-yusho
3 pts for a special prize
2 pts for a kinboshi
1 pt for a winning match
1 pt for kachi-koshi
-.5 pt for make-koshi

We also had rules for trading out rikishi, since so many people got hurt in Aki. Basically, trades have to be completed before the next day's matches start (that's midnight PST). Each player can initiate trading once, but if one person initiates a trade everyone else can trade for free. To trade you swap out one rikishi for another rikishi in their same rank set. Depending on how many people play we'll have rules for how many people can hold the same rikishi. All trading closes once matches start on middle Sunday, and you have to keep your current stable during the second week.

Kinboshi are only counted if you had the rikishi in your stable when they scored the kinboshi AND if you still have them at the end of the basho. Kachi-koshi are only scored from the rikishi you have at the end of the basho, but make-koshi are counted against you for every wrestler who had been in your stable at all (this is to discourage excessive trading, and reward people for making good choices from the beginning).

I'll track everything in a spreadsheet, and update the thread daily with a running score. Let me know if you're interested! People can sign up for the tournament until next Sunday, and then I'll figure out specific rules about duplicate rikishi and how we'll do our initial draft etc.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I'll play but I'm absolutely fascinated to see who is going to make it and who is still completely loving ruined.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Count me in!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ok sure, I'll play

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll do a thing!

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I used to play quite a few sumo games a couple years ago. I'm in for this, its been awhile.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'm in.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Yeah, I'll join in.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'll do it too

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's the Banzuke. One move that people were wondering about, they ultimately did decide to reward Onosho, and they put Tamawashi at M1. We have 4 wrestlers up from Juryo.

Takayasu is kadoban, and Terunofuji can regain his Ozeki rank with 10 wins or more.

code:
      East                          Rank                          West
   Harumafuji (*)                 Yokozuna                       Hakuho
   Kisenosato                     Yokozuna                       Kakuryu
     Goeido                        Ozeki                        Takayasu (~)
    Mitakeumi                     Sekiwake                      Yoshikaze
   Terunofuji (-)                 Sekiwake
   Kotoshogiku (+)                Komosubi                       Onosho (+)
   Tamawashi (-)                     M1                        Takakeisho
   Chiyotairyu                       M2                        Tochiozan (-)
    Shohozan                         M3                        Hokutofuji
   Chiyonokuni                       M4                         Ichinojo
   Takarafuji                        M5                         Arawashi
   Chiyoshoma                        M6                        Tochinoshin
   Daishomaru                        M7                          Shodai
   Takanoiwa                         M8                        Chiyomaru
      Endo                           M9                         Daieisho
     Kaisei                          M10                          Ikioi
    Aoiyama                          M11                        Asanoyama
    Okinoumi                         M12                        Kagayaki
    Takakaze                         M13                       Aminishiki (+)
    Kotoyuki (+)                     M14                        Daiamami (+)
   Nishikigi                         M15                        Myogiryu (+)
       Ura                           M16

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 31, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

For those wondering about the wrestler from Texas, Wakaichiro, he was promoted out of the newbie ranks and into Sandanme. He's at West #85, and this is where his career really begins and he either rises or fails. He can't just rely on his size and athleticism anymore, some older experienced wrestlers are in this rank trying to slowly grind their way up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, it's cool how many people wanna play! I think we're gonna limit it to no more than 1/3 of the league can hold the same rikishi, so right now that would be three people.

To draft, I think a ranked choice system will be best. Choose your top 3 choices, in order, for each rank set. I'll randomize the draft order, and it'll snake for each rank set. That way nobody gets too bad a draft position.

Start thinking about your wishlists! I'll need them submitted in the thread by the end of Sunday so I have time to do the draft and set up the excel sheet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

Hey, it's cool how many people wanna play! I think we're gonna limit it to no more than 1/3 of the league can hold the same rikishi, so right now that would be three people.

To draft, I think a ranked choice system will be best. Choose your top 3 choices, in order, for each rank set. I'll randomize the draft order, and it'll snake for each rank set. That way nobody gets too bad a draft position.

Start thinking about your wishlists! I'll need them submitted in the thread by the end of Sunday so I have time to do the draft and set up the excel sheet.

Do you want us to PM you, or just post preferences here?

In other news, photos-of-Hakuho-leaning-on-yobidashis seems to be a THING:

https://twitter.com/azechiazechi/status/924682168084840448

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've only been following sumo since the last few basho so most of my picks are going to be guesses FYI :tipshat:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nice to see Ura on the banzuke but I really hope they haven't rushed him back

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Nice to see Ura on the banzuke but I really hope they haven't rushed him back

Until a wrestler retires, he's always listed on the banzuke somewhere. If you announce that you need to sit out two basho, you'll still be listed, finish each tournament with 0-0-15, and tumble far down the rankings. Tochinoshin fell all the way down to low Makushita when he had to sit out 3 tournaments. He then smashed the vastly overmatched competition for 4 straight tournaments before finally working his way back up to the top division.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato looks pretty good and has either recovered or is at least near 100%. He beat Hakuho in an exhibition match one week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CCEJa_qpY

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rigel posted:

Until a wrestler retires, he's always listed on the banzuke somewhere. If you announce that you need to sit out two basho, you'll still be listed, finish each tournament with 0-0-15, and tumble far down the rankings. Tochinoshin fell all the way down to low Makushita when he had to sit out 3 tournaments. He then smashed the vastly overmatched competition for 4 straight tournaments before finally working his way back up to the top division.

I'm an idiot. I still hope Ura doesn't get rushed back

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Do you want us to PM you, or just post preferences here?

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your strategy a secret, but posting in the thread is also fine.

Martytoof posted:

I've only been following sumo since the last few basho so most of my picks are going to be guesses FYI :tipshat:

For Aki I just basically guessed+chose wrestlers I liked and it was still quite fun. I did get creamed by my friend who actually did a bit of research to build his team, but it was still fun.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

Okie doke, since I am loving lazy need time to carefully analyze the wrestlers in each tier, I'll probably wait till Sunday to post my preferences.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

oh also if we swap out a wrestler BEFORE the 1st day, can we avoid the make-koshi penalty? I understand why it needs to be enforced after the 1st day has begun, I'm just thinking of the situation where a wrestler is trying to prepare, toughing out a secret injury, then announces he's hurt (or rumors come out he's hurt) before the tournament begins.

If a wrestler is on your roster for day 1, then later pulls out and ultimately loses, then yeah, a penalty is appropriate for the final score.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

your strategy

*sniggers*

Well, I'll get things rolling, preferences for each section:

Y/O: Kakuryu / Takayasu / Hakuho
S/K: Terunofuji / Mitakeumi / Onosho
M1-5: Tamawashi / Takarafuji / Chiyonokuni
M6-10: Takanoiwa / Chiyoshoma / Shodai
M11+: Boobs / Kotoyuki / Takekaze

M11+ seems the hardest to pick - no one seems particularly inspiring at the moment.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I'm out and proud - using the same format as eilisimpark.

y/o - takayasu / kisenosato / harumafuji
s/k - kotoshogiku / onosho / mitakeumi
m1-5 - takekeisho / shohozan / chiyotairu
m6-10 - tochinoshin / ikoi / endo
m11+ - OOOORAHHH! / Tittys / Okinoumi

I'm glad kise seems healthy. Looking forward to him going the distance for a basho and seeing how he hangs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rigel posted:

oh also if we swap out a wrestler BEFORE the 1st day, can we avoid the make-koshi penalty? I understand why it needs to be enforced after the 1st day has begun, I'm just thinking of the situation where a wrestler is trying to prepare, toughing out a secret injury, then announces he's hurt (or rumors come out he's hurt) before the tournament begins.

If a wrestler is on your roster for day 1, then later pulls out and ultimately loses, then yeah, a penalty is appropriate for the final score.

Yeah, I'll accept any swaps for free before day 1 starts. It's no fun to start off with a kyujo wrestler. Make-koshi penalty is only once the basho starts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Y/O: :cool::allears::keke: Takayasu :keke::allears::cool:/Kisenosato/Kakuryu
S/K: Terunofuji/Kotoshogiku/Onosho
M1-5: Takakeisho/Ichinojo/Shohozan
M6-10: Endo/Shodai/Ikoio
M11+: Takakaze/Ura/Asanoyama

Did I do this right

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Marty, our hero TAKAYASU seems to have done something entertaining in his youth (from wikipedia): Takayasu ran away from the stable several times due to the severe training, but on each occasion his father persuaded him to return.[4]

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Y/O - Hakuho / Kisenosato / Takayasu
S/K - Mitakeumi / Terunofuji / Kotoshogiku
M1-M5 - Tamawashi / Tochiozan / Ichinojo
M6-M10 - Shodai / Kaisei / Tochinoshin
M11+ - Aoiyama / Okinoumi / Ikioi

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, I just spent the 15 minutes to put together my draft list too:

Y/O: Goeido / Hakuho / Kakuryu
S/K: Yoshikaze / Terunofuji / Onosho
M1-M5: Takakeisho / Takarafuji / Hokutofuji
M6-M10: Kaisei / Endo / Takanoiwa
M11+: Asanoyama / Aoiyama / Takekaze

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 2, 2017

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

I'm in!

Y/O: Hakuho / Goeido / Harumafuji
S/K: Onosho / Yoshikaze / Kotoshogiku
M1-M5: Takakeisho / Chiyonokuni / Takarafuji
M6-M10: Daishomaru / Endo / Chiyomaru
M11+ Asanoyama / Kaisei / ( . )( . )

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm in it to Nguyen it.

Y/O - Kisenosato/Hakuho/Harumafuji
S/K - Mitakeumi/Onosho/Yoshikaze
M1-M5 - Chiyotairyu/Chiyonokuni/Ichinojo (gently caress these choices suck. whoever wins is going to win due to this section, mark my words)
M6-M10 - Shodai/Ikioi/Tochinoshin
M11+ - Daiamami/Aminishiki/Asanoyama

This idea rocks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

Marty, our hero TAKAYASU seems to have done something entertaining in his youth (from wikipedia): Takayasu ran away from the stable several times due to the severe training, but on each occasion his father persuaded him to return.[4]

The storied legend of TAKAYASU grows!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really hope Takayasu is properly healed up for this basho, he's one of my favorites right now. I love how he looks completely bored during the warm-up and salt throwing, then totally insane crazy face during the bout, and then immediately back to bored again. It's the best.

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm in it to Nguyen it.

Y/O - Kisenosato/Hakuho/Harumafuji
S/K - Mitakeumi/Onosho/Yoshikaze
M1-M5 - Chiyotairyu/Chiyonokuni/Ichinojo (gently caress these choices suck. whoever wins is going to win due to this section, mark my words)
M6-M10 - Shodai/Ikioi/Tochinoshin
M11+ - Daiamami/Aminishiki/Asanoyama

This idea rocks.

I noticed a tension in building my strategy between "This guy is young and he's due to get knocked down a peg now that he's in makuuchi" and "This guy's been on a yo-yo the last couple years, and his career might be on a downward trajectory now". I was looking for "This guy's been in the top ranks in makuuchi, he got knocked down, but now with the experience he's on the way back up," and there were not very many who matched that description.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We're getting close to doing the draft! I need draft lists from the following people:

Rigel
sivad
Pvt. Public
Tsaedje

I'm going to start drafting on Sunday, so I need draft lists by midnight Pacific time on Saturday.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Sorry, works has sucked this week.

Y/O: Hakuho / Kisenosato / Takayasu
S/K: Yoshikaze / Onosho / Kotoshogiku
M1-5: Tamawashi / Tochiozan / Shohozan
M6-10: Tochinoshin / Endo / Ikioi
M11-15: Aoiyama / Ura / Takakaze

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho / Takayasu / Harumafuji
S/K: Onosho / Kotoshogiku / Terunofuji
M1-5: Shohozan / Takakeisho / Tochiozan
M6-10: Tochinoshin / Chiyomaru / Endo