Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Maybe not, but it is pretty funny (for us, not necessarily you).

For reals though, buck up dude. I hope your doing ok. I say that as someone who's just had his wife walk out too. :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Holy poo poo that sucks dude, hang in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Holy poo poo that sucks dude, hang in there.

Well I still hold out hope for a reconciliation so I'm not feeling too bad just yet, but that may just be denial so :shrug:

We'll see.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You know deep down what you have to do.

Buy a Ducati

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If it actually does happen, I probably will. :getin:

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You know deep down what you have to do.

Buy a Ducati

Simply, simply lovely.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel both have 4 World Championships to their name.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

Eighties Ferrari was a mess. Is a testament to whatever it is that has existed for 70 years

On the whole I think 90s Ferrari was worse.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I dunno, they atleast stopped killing and maiming their drivers in the 90s.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Their absolute low point as a team was the early 70s. Ferrari being so awful in the 70s is why the sportscar team was shelved.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Say what you want about legendary bad Ferrari F1 cars like in 1980 or 1992, nothing beats the 312 B3 in terms of awfulness.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Its loving beautiful

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Say what you want about legendary bad Ferrari F1 cars like in 1980 or 1992, nothing beats the 312 B3 in terms of awfulness.

Holy poo poo, Forghieri is still alive!

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

OhsH posted:

Its loving beautiful

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself, please.

A: Well I’m a very old man, from the era of 1962-1992 Formula One. Part of an era with people like Bruce McLaren and Colin Chapman. F1 was very different then, it wasn’t so much about money. Teams were on a much friendlier basis, say for example, if I needed to borrow a tool I could ask Lotus to lend it to me for perhaps six hours and they’d be happy to help—it was very important to everyone involved that come Sunday all teams were ready to race. Again, money was much less important, and what little there was came from the people watching races, and after a race, it was spent by teams on hotels, food, and sometimes girls! It was a different world, very difficult to explain to someone used to how things are run today.

In that era, say from roughly 1962-1980 or 1984, racers had to be men before they were champions, do you understand what I mean? Drivers ate with mechanics and technicians, it helped maintain a friendly, family-like atmosphere. Today, there is too much money involved, and sponsors have destroyed the spirit of the championship.

Q: When do you believe things began to go downhill?

A: 10 to 12 years ago, I’d say. Much of it started with aerodynamics and wings, part of which I am to blame for, as I introduced Ferrari’s first wing with this car in 1967 at Spa, and driven by Jacky Ickx. Not only are the aerodynamic devices of today terrible from an aesthetic point of view, they also make F1 incredibly boring, with no overpassing—like a big parade. If we were to make the front wing a bit smaller, it would bring back a lot of excitement, the cars would be passing again, sliding around, but this will never happen because they need more room for advertising.

Q: So you mean Enzo wasn’t a fan of sideskirts?

A: Even when something was an improvement, if it wasn’t strictly legal Ferrari was against it, even as other teams would already be taking advantage of loopholes. Miniskirts weren’t allowed because nothing on the car apart from the tires was allowed to touch the ground, but after a year of other teams using them he finally told me “OK, go ahead and use the miniskirts since you like them on the ladies so much!” We were competitive without skirts, but to win without them when everyone else is using them is not so easy, let me tell you!

Aerodynamics were really starting to play a big role in car design in those days, and we hired a great aerodynamicist. When we sent the car to the windtunnel, I told the boy “I designed this car, the chassis, the groundbox, the engine and bodywork, but when we send it to the tunnel let the wind dictate its final form—we will accept whatever shape the windtunnel gives the car”. Of course, Ferrari told us “It’s ugly!” but we countered “Yes, but it’s very good!”

Q: We read in your bio that you were originally interested in a career in aeronautical engineering, is this true?

A: Well I was very young, perhaps 22 or 23 years old, and I wanted to work for Northrop in the States and work with turbine engines, but my father had worked with Ferrari and had them contact me and offer a job—the rest is history. I wanted to work in aeronautical engineering because of what they say about the bumble bee, that he shouldn’t fly according to all known laws of physics, but because he doesn’t understand these laws he just flies anyway! It’s a very beautiful way of looking at things, I think.

Q: Are you happy about the way things turned out?

A: Well, an opportunity is an opportunity, but I suppose it depends on your point of view. I am very thankful for many of the wonderful people I had the privilege of working with in my time with Ferrari.

Q: What do you miss about your days with Ferrari?

A: Well, it was a different world then, and to work for an F1 team was to live a life of sacrifice. Teams had limited resources, both financially and with staffing, and most of your year was spent preparing for the season, or working within the season—we were lucky if we got five hours of sleep, frequently we got perhaps one hour. Including Ferrari, his secretary, and his drivers, there was 170 people in the racing department, and our time was split between F1, hillclimbs, and prototype racing for Le Mans, the Targa Florio, and the Nurburgring endurance races—they were hectic times.

Life is unquestionably better for those involved with motorsport today, but motorsport itself is much worse in my opinion—it doesn’t have the respect it once had. For example, let’s say as you are interviewing me here, pretend I am a new F1 champion—while you are interviewing me there will be a crowd of other reporters hanging around, hovering, grabbing my arm waiting for their turn. There is no dignity or class, and people are treated like babies. It is unfortunate I think.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/mauro-forghieri

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Khablam posted:

lets play: F1 driver, or instagram girl nonchalantly showing the product?

He really doesn't mind playing human billboard, does he?
Even god is selling bling through this guy.

interesting article.
You made me google 'Formula 1 mini skirts'....
Did not get the information I wanted (It' just side skirts isn't it?)

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

I'm sad to hear about The Worst Thread's crumbling domestic relationships. Chin up boys!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

aequalis posted:

I'm sad to hear about The Worst Thread's crumbling domestic relationships. Chin up boys!

#HugsForTheLads

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder Ferrari got roflstomped by Ford at Le Mans 4 straight years.

By a car built by cheating brits who were fat, had bad teeth and ate boiled horse meat. It doesn't count.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mr LC had a major operation cancelled yesterday because they think his heart won't take general anaesthetic without exploding :(

He's actually more pissed off because he unnecessarily spent £10 on a new pair of slippers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo times all round

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup, my Tom won't see that £10 again.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
To add to the pile, we had to cancel our wedding as my fiancees mental health is not in the right place to be married yet. :/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I live in my mothers masement

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

I just deliberately got my MGU-K to 100% wear in F1 2017 and all I got for my efforts was a *thunk* sound and a "You have retired" popup. Where's my flaming car mess driving into the pits? gently caress this game

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

Even when something was an improvement, if it wasn’t strictly legal Ferrari was against it

lmao

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba6OtfFljmT/

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
f1 2017: life loving sucks

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
me and nando have the same cat

ownz

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Life is p good

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Life is p good

I’ve read your Apple posts this is a lie

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I’ve read your Apple posts this is a lie

You're right, life is actually GREAT. "P good" was an understatement. I am loving killing it, on all fronts.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

You're right, life is actually GREAT. "P good" was an understatement. I am loving killing it, on all fronts.

:hfive:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba6OtfFljmT/

Better than Roscoe and Coco :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jesus loving Christ this thread is supposed to be a positive uplifting experience. Come on lads.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

OhsH posted:

Its loving beautiful

turn your monitor on

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Jesus loving Christ this thread is supposed to be a positive uplifting experience. Come on lads.

When did E/N leak into this thread? jokes aside, hope y'all are better today.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Jense apparently has a pair of pommeranian/husky mix dogs but I don't do Instagram. Any help appreciated

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

Jense apparently has a pair of pommeranian/husky mix dogs but I don't do Instagram. Any help appreciated

I can confirm they are dogs. Hope that helps.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Unironically, Lewis actually has some good words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieU1b9AFe3A&t=179s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

What this thread needs is a good old fashioned av war. Av War II.

• Locked thread