Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im only interested in the new monster hunter because of Aloy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fridge corn posted:

Im only interested in the new monster hunter because of Aloy

Best part of that is that the Aloy outfit and the robot pet are separate items so you can have one without the other.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will Aloy have a robot pet in her own game's DLC? I'm not actually interested in this "MonHun"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Will Aloy have a robot pet in her own game's DLC? I'm not actually interested in this "MonHun"

It's rumored that one of the new skills is a permanent robot companion that fights stuff for you, nothing confirmed yet though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

omg robo palico is so cute :3:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

exquisite tea posted:

It's rumored that one of the new skills is a permanent robot companion that fights stuff for you, nothing confirmed yet though.

Do we have any idea whether the Frozen Wilds is integrated into the main story with new stuff you can use in a new playthrough, or more stuff at the end for a completed game? Wondering whether I should dive in to HZD or hold off until the DLC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's accessible from any point in the story and all the stuff you acquire there can be carried over into the main game, although it's expected that you'll be fairly high level upon entering the Frozen Wilds zone.

If you can wait one month there is a $50 complete edition going on sale December 5th with the DLC + preorder outfits etc. included.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I bought in in the latest PSN sale already before finding this out. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm mad that these cheapskate fuckers who could wait to play Horizon until now are getting some of the bonus outfits for free as the Fashiondawn meta is intense.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Man that TLOU2 trailer is weird and gross. Probably might just be a lack of context but I'm a little weirded out by the explanation/justification by ND that "the first game was a story about Love, TLOU2 is a story about Hate" or whatever. Like my dude, that sounds incredibly lame. I feel like TLOU's story was compelling because of the relationship at the center of it, not because the setting was particularly interesting. And the ultra violence always seemed like it served the narrative and the emphasis was on how it affected our characters and their dynamic & experience and poo poo, not on titillating the player. I feel like there's several pretty popular TV shows on that deal with Hate and the unrelenting cruelty humanity inflicts on one another, and like most of them even have zombies and poo poo too. If we're only coming back to these protagonists and this setting to see them angry and broken and consumed by hate and to watch (apparently) side characters realistically torture one another in graphic detail I dunno why bother with that

But obviously this is all just concerned speculation, I'm probably fretting for no reason. I loved the writing in UC4 and TLOU and I'm still p excited to play this one, ND has more than earned benefit of the doubt

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I got the alien isolation bundle from the sale because gently caress it

any tips for someone starting out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The game practically taunts you to start on Hard but all that does is make the Alien stick to you more often, causing you to wait around in lockers for him to finally go away and actually making his appearances more predictable. Play on Normal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got the alien isolation bundle from the sale because gently caress it

any tips for someone starting out

The alien is more likely to find you if you're crouching and hiding, moving at normal walking speed is the safest option.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, play on normal, and don't be afraid to walk around normal pace to escape the alien (just don't sprint). Hiding often gets you sniffed out.

Have fun!

e;fb

Mandrel posted:

Man that TLOU2 trailer is weird and gross. Probably might just be a lack of context but I'm a little weirded out by the explanation/justification by ND that "the first game was a story about Love, TLOU2 is a story about Hate" or whatever. Like my dude, that sounds incredibly lame. I feel like TLOU's story was compelling because of the relationship at the center of it, not because the setting was particularly interesting. And the ultra violence always seemed like it served the narrative and the emphasis was on how it affected our characters and their dynamic & experience and poo poo, not on titillating the player. I feel like there's several pretty popular TV shows on that deal with Hate and the unrelenting cruelty humanity inflicts on one another, and like most of them even have zombies and poo poo too. If we're only coming back to these protagonists and this setting to see them angry and broken and consumed by hate and to watch (apparently) side characters realistically torture one another in graphic detail I dunno why bother with that

But obviously this is all just concerned speculation, I'm probably fretting for no reason. I loved the writing in UC4 and TLOU and I'm still p excited to play this one, ND has more than earned benefit of the doubt

I just do not get what is so overwhelmingly shocking in that trailer that the first game didn't also have. Like, they're obviously trying to give hints of context without spoiling things, so...

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 31, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cool, the walking thing is something I definitely wouldn't have tried on my own. thanks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The alien is more likely to find you if you're crouching and hiding, moving at normal walking speed is the safest option.

I've been thinking of trying it out but after hearing that I guess I won't. Thanks :tipshat:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The historicity of Ghost of Tsushima kinda grinds me, it's set pre-Sengoku, but everyone charges around with swords (which were more of a post-Edo thing). And ninjas were not a thing in that day, clever intelligence gathering was very much a Mongol specialty. So I'm not sure what to make of it. The Japanese clans on Tsushima got their asses completely wiped.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've been thinking of trying it out but after hearing that I guess I won't. Thanks :tipshat:

You hide if it's looking right at you, obviously. Why would this be a deal breaker? :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

The historicity of Ghost of Tsushima kinda grinds me, it's set pre-Sengoku, but everyone charges around with swords (which were more of a post-Edo thing). And ninjas were not a thing in that day, clever intelligence gathering was very much a Mongol specialty. So I'm not sure what to make of it. The Japanese clans on Tsushima got their asses completely wiped.

He's obviously going to be the first ever ninja and turn the sneaky Mongol tactics of actually studying their enemy back on them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the clever intelligence gathering part was very much a part of the trailer for the mongols if nothing else

and they did call the mc a samurai, so yea he'll probably be the first ninja or something. I'm not expecting much historical accuracy but w/e

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jerry Cotton posted:

same so double thanks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Samurai and proto-shinobi easily date back to mid Heian if not quite a bit earlier. Depicting that stuff in the 13th century doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just do not get what is so overwhelmingly shocking in that trailer that the first game didn't also have. Like, they're obviously trying to give hints of context without spoiling things, so...

While I do think the violence depicted in the trailer is more graphically realistic than anything in the original, I think it's the lack of narrative context that makes it worse. We don't know who any of these characters are, where they are, when they are, what's happening, why, etc. All we definitely know is that they aren't main characters, per ND, and this is just to get us speculating about the setting. We already know the setting pretty well, and this doesn't tell us anything new other than that things are still Not Good, but whatever. Anyway, my point is the acts of ultraviolence and cruelty are kind of the whole meat of the trailer, there's nothing else to connect with here. You can see Ellie or Joel in a violent horrible situation and process how it affects their character, what it means for their story, how they/you ended up here. This is literally just "Look how lifelike we can make torture and human terror now" There's nothing else to connect with beyond an abstract scene of horror and explicit torture. Obviously people are shocked, that had to be what they were going for.

I guess my concern with that is if you're making a trailer but deliberately trying to avoid showing any main characters or plot or gameplay, and this is the trailer you make, you're either super proud of your tech's ability to shock and horrify (Yikes), or you're basically just trying to convey a tone or theme for the story without giving anything important away. If this scene is what they felt best accomplished that then woof

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mandrel posted:

While I do think the violence depicted in the trailer is more graphically realistic than anything in the original

Dude, you gotta be kidding me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMskyFpAgg

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Samurai and proto-shinobi easily date back to mid Heian if not quite a bit earlier. Depicting that stuff in the 13th century doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Samurai pre-Edo emphasized their horsemanship and archery and lance skills, not the sword. So sure, they would typically behave recklessly and glory-seek at the detriment of the commander's tactics, but they at least used real weapons to do so.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Samurai pre-Edo emphasized their horsemanship and archery and lance skills, not the sword. So sure, they would typically behave recklessly and glory-seek at the detriment of the commander's tactics, but they at least used real weapons to do so.

And yet they all carried tachi, so there's actually no debate here, okay?

Good. Done. Let's move on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

I think I read a study some time ago about how many Japanese soldiers have been killed by swords across the warring states period and it's almost none. Swords are for showing your social class, spears and bows and guns are for killing people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They used swords because at the time they still expected everyone to engage in one-on-one combat even in the middle of a battlefield, which is the main reason they lost most of the early battles to the Mongols. Their swords being hilariously ineffective against boiled leather armour didn't help.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playstation4: Post Your Blade itt

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Playstation4: Post Your Blade itt
I always main nailbats if they're available.

er sorry, "reinforced clubs"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah, I think there's a big difference in the two. That's a quick shot during an optional death animation, intended to spook you out of letting it happen to your protagonist again. Like all the awful death scenes, it cuts to black for emphasis, lingering just long enough to get across that death is quick and brutal and then tastefully lets the imagination and shock of the player take it from there. It doesn't luxuriate in a long scene of watching Ellie get slowly disemboweled or whatever. It serves its purpose and is actually a good example of what I'm talking about with how the first game used violence/horror well. You wouldn't have found it weird and off-putting if the second trailer for TLOU was 3 minutes of the death animations or something?

I guess I should be mindful of the marketing influence here. I remember going to a panel at ATX a few years ago and they were debuting a sizzle reel for an anticipated HBO project (Westworld). It was literally just a compilation of all the deaths, gore, violence, nudity, body horror, etc. Just ridiculous amounts of blood, like more than was even in the final show. Absolutely no narrative content, no dialogue scenes beyond dialogue cut into ironic pre-death one liners. It looked like complete trash, like some Starz original series take on a grindhouse exploitation film. I didn't know what Westworld was prior to that sizzle reel, and I wasn't interested in seeing any more of it. A few years later, the show's dope and I have no idea who the gently caress put that clip package together or why they thought it conveyed the tone of the show it was advertising. But people at the panel seemed to love it and gave it a standing ovation, so who's the idiot I guess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway Ghosts of Tsushima is a cool take on an underappreciated part of history in a small and overlooked island with its own rich and complicated history, it's just a shame that they decided to lean into some stereotypical anachronisms.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The trailer for the frozen lands dlc has made me decide to finally play Horizon Zero Dawn. That and I need to justify my new 4K tv

Hard mode is the recommended difficulty right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it in normal and that was enough of a challenge for me and I'm always wary when someone recommends you start something on hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

Anyway Ghosts of Tsushima is a cool take on an underappreciated part of history in a small and overlooked island with its own rich and complicated history, it's just a shame that they decided to lean into some stereotypical anachronisms.
It doesn't seem they intend to portray the Mongol army as big dumb brutes, anyway.

I mean gameplay-wise I'm sure they will be dumb as bricks but that's basically all video game enemies and especially in open world sneaky games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sefal posted:

The trailer for the frozen lands dlc has made me decide to finally play Horizon Zero Dawn. That and I need to justify my new 4K tv

Hard mode is the recommended difficulty right?

I started on hard and after a few hours I moved it up to very hard. That felt like a pretty good difficulty curve to me.

You can change the difficulty at any time so don't sweat it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

you following my instagram, bro?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I play most games on normal but played through horizon on hard and it felt about right for me. I died if I was reckless a fair amount of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I started Horizon on V.Hard and found that to be the most fun and fair balance of difficulty. Other's mileage may vary but Tomb Raider style bow mechanics come naturally to me and Aloy controls very well. I liked the idea of machines feeling dangerous and the game rewards you for planning ahead with traps and resist potions. If you're starting an NG+ run I'd recommend just setting it to Ultra because you'll still easily annihilate everything with up-to-date weapons and mods along with the OP power armor.

I'm just finishing up a naked Ultra run and I'd say that was definitely difficult at times and probably too frustratingly hard unless you're already super familiar with the world. In addition to every machine basically being able to one-shot you deep into the game, weapons and resources are way more expensive, which means you need to be very judicious with your upgrades.