Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nizumzen posted:

I've never played this game before but I've been recommended it by numerous people. I've got SWGEmu all installed and set up so just waiting for a free moment when I can have a bit of an explore and see what you can do in it.

Some of the YouTube videos I've seen have been interesting but it is the crafting that really grabs my attention. It does seem like a rather deep game to just into though.

It is a pretty deep game, particularly with regards to crafting. Do you know what you want to craft? Going down a specific crafting path requires a LOT of grinding and accumulating appropriate materials - the supermajority of stuff you make will just be for practice and not worth anything.

If you do know, and can stomach some spreadsheet style thinking, you can get pretty rich selling top tier items and resources. However, as people ITT have noted, Basilisk has a deeply entrenched economy and thus even higher end crafted items are relatively cheap. So you'll probably need an alternate character to level up first to acquire seed money and learn the mechanics before you start a crafting grind, because the payoff will be delayed and niche. I suggest making a combat character you find entertaining and taking that one to master something, then use money from missions with him to buy crafting grind kits.

Send me a tell in game if you want some guidance, but just jumping into crafting is probably not the best idea. It is workable if you really want to, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nizumzen
Oct 8, 2017

Frog Act posted:

It is a pretty deep game, particularly with regards to crafting. Do you know what you want to craft? Going down a specific crafting path requires a LOT of grinding and accumulating appropriate materials - the supermajority of stuff you make will just be for practice and not worth anything.

If you do know, and can stomach some spreadsheet style thinking, you can get pretty rich selling top tier items and resources. However, as people ITT have noted, Basilisk has a deeply entrenched economy and thus even higher end crafted items are relatively cheap. So you'll probably need an alternate character to level up first to acquire seed money and learn the mechanics before you start a crafting grind, because the payoff will be delayed and niche. I suggest making a combat character you find entertaining and taking that one to master something, then use money from missions with him to buy crafting grind kits.

Send me a tell in game if you want some guidance, but just jumping into crafting is probably not the best idea. It is workable if you really want to, tho

Thank you for the advice. I could certainly start off doing combat stuff. I don't mind in the slightest and as you said would probably be a good way to amass a bit of money. I'll do a bit more research on all the crafting stuff because, truth be told, I am quite clueless about it.

I'm just looking for a new game to play and this seems to fit the bill. I might even stream it. Sometimes you get kind people popping into newbie streams offering advice as you play. I'll have a bit of free time in 2 or 3 days time so I might return then when I know a bit more about it. At the moment all I have done is make a character to reserve my name.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'd suggest you just hop in and start grinding monsters outside of Mos Eisley. It'll get you acquainted with the basic systems and you'll be able to level your weapon of choice fairly quickly, and start working on scout at the same time (for gathering organic materials if you want to use him as a supplier for your crafter). The crafting really only starts to make sense after you learn other stuff - I'm only just now starting to figure it out and thats after crafting my way to Master Medic.

Anyway, I just hit Master Rifleman a few minutes ago, and so as MR/MM (I'm gonna do the MCM grind sometime soon, just gonna load up on stimpack-ds and hit up the Baby Bantha on Tatooine and use my healing macro for like...8-10 hours I guess). Before I do the MCM grind, though, I'd like to do some actual content, get some badges, explore some planets, etc. Are there any theme parks or cool places I can solo with MR/MM that are interesting or particularly worth it? What is an extremely cool / fun thing to do? I'm considering joining the Rebellion (since GCW isn't super active and it doesn't matter really which faction you join, I think, since nobody really flags and the vast majority of players are imperial for the ATST), assuming its possible to get similar solo group benefits from rebel faction rewards.

So whats the most enjoyable and/or scenic thing to do as a MR/MM before going and doing the final leg of stuff on this guy?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
A Master Rifleman/Medic is perfectly capable of soloing all the themeparks + the Warrens (with buffs, of course). Most of the POI badges are fine, except the pool beneath Fort Tusken will eat you alive.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 8, 2017

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

So is anyone still playing on Basilisk? It could be fun to jump back into this casually.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lando Kardashian posted:

So is anyone still playing on Basilisk? It could be fun to jump back into this casually.

I hovered my finger over the install button briefly yesterday while I had been drinking, but nothing came of it.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Stella Bellums source code and a prepackaged server VM got released last week so maybe something fun will happen. Levarris, you know what to do! (Which is consider running the server, then instead drink until you pass out)

https://bitbucket.org/theswgsource/swg-main
https://www.swgsource.com/forums/

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 23, 2017

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

Stella Bellums source code and a prepackaged server VM got released last week so maybe something fun will happen. Levarris, you know what to do! (Which is consider running the server, then instead drink until you pass out)

I never thought they would actually release that.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Since the OP doesn't answer this (I think), I have a couple newbie questions.

How long has this SWGEmu been around? And, honestly, is it worth playing at this point?

Is it a fact you need the original game discs?

Rand Ecliptic fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 24, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Since the OP doesn't answer this (I think), I have a couple newbie questions.

How long has this SWGEmu been around? And, honestly, is it worth playing at this point?

Is it a fact you need the original game discs?

The original SWGEmu project started as early as 2005, though they barely had anything beyond a login server working. In its current incarnation it's been around for a good few years. I've been a member of it since late 2007, which tallies with the Trials of Obi Wan release and subsequent NGE backlash. I don't think a usable client was available until a few years after that, but it is definitely the most established of the emulator projects.

It's worth playing if you have a nostalgia for the game in it's original implementation. If you've never played it, it is a bit marmite. It is a massively grindy game and you'd be starting in stagnant game economy. That's good for new players to quickly gear up, but not so good for new players who want to establish themselves. Fundamentally it is a brilliant, but very flawed game. 2D collision maps, a really clunky game engine and unfinished content will probably make anybody used to modern games uninstall it fairly quickly.

You are supposed to use the original discs if you're accessing an emulator legally, yes. It's because the emulator requires the original game's assets and not purchasing them is still considered piracy. Historically, you could pick up a copy of the game that you need inexpensively, though I haven't checked recently.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I’d argue against playing on Bas actually and instead pick one of the other more customized servers. Yeah, you run the risk of pay 2 win and blatant favoritism (Bas dev favoritism is hidden juuuust below the surface) but the others offer faster progression, an arguably more open economy and more content

I am back on bloodfin and really the only problem there (so far) has been some server stability issues and pvp is dominated by one imperial guild. Rebels can’t organize or coordinate anything. There’s no crazy legendary weapons and successful pvp depends on teamwork and group set up. It’s actually quite gear balanced, to be honest

A goon incursion would do well, probably

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Today I went on a brief journey to some of my old haunts of yesteryear.

First I pulled out my map. Could it be that I once made my home on this spot? The most up-to-date map, purchased from a shuttleport kiosk at the Dantooine Mining Outpost, gave little indication that this was once the site of the glittering metropolis known as Goontown.

lol no Quahog, get hosed

Goontown. My Goontown. Now little more than a tumbleweed-filled ghost town in the rolling hills of Dantooine. Where once dozens of homes and thriving businesses had stood, there remained only a few persistent homesteaders:

Though the glory days of this city had long since passed, I quickly discovered that the heart and soul of what made this place great still lived on in those who remained:

To find out what happened to this city, I ventured first to what must have once been nucleus of the town. The Guild Hall is one of the few municipal buildings still standing. Its interior was warm, inviting, and impeccably designed, though the hallways echoed with the sound of neglect. Only the gentle hum of the crafting stations, likely long-since out of use, filled my ears.

holy poo poo Ahdinko I vividly remember designing this with you

I next turned to the town's hospital. It too, was devoid of life, inhabited only by a sole droid who seemed a bit too enthusiastic to perform a colonoscopy on me.

My final stop was the only building in town with the lights still on: the infamous Mantina. Its warm glow invited me in, and I soon discovered that I was not the only patron this evening. In fact, I met the face of an old friend: City Graul.

There was little for me to do. A washed up master dancer and musician, my day has long since passed in the spotlight. Now it is time to take to the stage and play an elegy for times lost, and for absent friends.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Drone posted:

Today I went on a brief journey to some of my old haunts of yesteryear.

First I pulled out my map. Could it be that I once made my home on this spot? The most up-to-date map, purchased from a shuttleport kiosk at the Dantooine Mining Outpost, gave little indication that this was once the site of the glittering metropolis known as Goontown.

lol no Quahog, get hosed

Goontown. My Goontown. Now little more than a tumbleweed-filled ghost town in the rolling hills of Dantooine. Where once dozens of homes and thriving businesses had stood, there remained only a few persistent homesteaders:

Though the glory days of this city had long since passed, I quickly discovered that the heart and soul of what made this place great still lived on in those who remained:

To find out what happened to this city, I ventured first to what must have once been nucleus of the town. The Guild Hall is one of the few municipal buildings still standing. Its interior was warm, inviting, and impeccably designed, though the hallways echoed with the sound of neglect. Only the gentle hum of the crafting stations, likely long-since out of use, filled my ears.

holy poo poo Ahdinko I vividly remember designing this with you

I next turned to the town's hospital. It too, was devoid of life, inhabited only by a sole droid who seemed a bit too enthusiastic to perform a colonoscopy on me.

My final stop was the only building in town with the lights still on: the infamous Mantina. Its warm glow invited me in, and I soon discovered that I was not the only patron this evening. In fact, I met the face of an old friend: City Graul.

There was little for me to do. A washed up master dancer and musician, my day has long since passed in the spotlight. Now it is time to take to the stage and play an elegy for times lost, and for absent friends.

tbh i cried reading this

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Jiimy posted:

tbh i cried reading this

Everyone sheds a tear for city graul

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

HELL NO!

However, I would consider taking part of a Goon Incursion onto legends. I already have a character there, and the staff there practically licks my boots.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

HELL NO!

However, I would consider taking part of a Goon Incursion onto legends. I already have a character there, and the staff there practically licks my boots.

I'd be in for this and I could maybe drag dinko with me

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

I'd be in for this and I could maybe drag dinko with me

I'll do it if there enough Goons who want to. If there is anything that I like less than pubbies, it's SWG pubbies. What is left of that community is really awful for the most part.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

I'll do it if there enough Goons who want to. If there is anything that I like less than pubbies, it's SWG pubbies. What is left of that community is really awful for the most part.

Define enough haha. There aren't to many die hard swg people left around here for the most part. I downloaded their launcher and got my account activated so I'm part way ready.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I would be up for some garbage on legends. Have literaly no cash or gear though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Since I'm well ensconced on a pre-CU server, what does Legends offer me other than JTL?

Granted, JTL would be awesome to play with again.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Conskill posted:

Since I'm well ensconced on a pre-CU server, what does Legends offer me other than JTL?

Granted, JTL would be awesome to play with again.

All of the content that was added post-NGE, Mustafar, Kashyyyk, Heroic Instances, PvP Battlefields, GCW Invasions, an enhanced player bounty system, the list goes on and on.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Late NGE crafting was the poo poo too.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Okay, I done something wrong.

I tried out Legends and got into the tutorial's JTL content. Things went swimmingly at first, but now I can't fire my weapon. It's in the default weapon group, the keys are bound to fire it, the laser looks like it's in perfect condition, but every time I try I get a "clunk" that sounds like an empty weapon sound. This just happened between missions and now it's been persistent ever since.

Edit: Changed computers with an independent Legends install and configuration, still can't fire the guns. So I donno what I broke.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 26, 2017

Cryptix
Dec 9, 2016

Is anyone still active on Basilisk?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Cryptix posted:

Probably not.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Cryptix posted:

If you want pre-CU, I recommend Aftermath over Basilisk for a tighter community and QOL improvements over base SWG.

If you want NGE, Legends is pretty ok.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Apparently Goon Town still exists on Basilisk. My house still stands there. I recall having put so much maintenance in it that it would last for years, and so it has.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 19, 2017

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
SWG Reckoning is having a double exp week if anyone cares.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well I started playing on basilisk again. Made a character, human marksman to start, and set him on coronet. Mostell Tismeer.

I haven't committed to a side or anything but i'm just looking for someone to play with if anyone wants to message me.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Are we going to throw away our lives on SWG at some point again?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jiimy posted:

Are we going to throw away our lives on SWG at some point again?

I found a buddy on here i'm playing with, but if you or anyone else wants to start again, i'm leaning towards marksman/unarmed into smuggler for some reason. Maybe its because i've tried to do TKA every time before.

This game becomes far more fun with friends, so if anyone is interested in playing, again my SWG name is Mostell Tismeer

my discord is Basically Hitler#0399

I'm having to relearn a lot of poo poo and I'd love some friends to re-learn it with. Basilisk-friendly SWG information is limited and annoying to find without friends.

Edit: ALSO if any of you guys who don't play anymore wanna toss me your credits and valuables.... i'm a long way from being able to do anything remotely useful on my own. I found a friend who is also starting off but he wasn't able to help much. Not that I felt owed to anything that he gave me... I'm just saying if one of yall don't play any more and wants your poo poo to find a good use for a newish player, i'll gladly take it.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 13, 2018

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Where are goons playing? Basilisk? Aftermath?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We've got a small group on basilisk.

We're just a few people, a couple of ex GS guys, me, and a couple others right now.

Kazr made a discord which is as organized as we've committed to right now, but since GS is involved it's likely we'll go imperial so nobody has to grind to change factions.

https://discord.gg/dJW9X4D

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Half tempted to start up on Basi again with a BH since people should be hitting jedi now since village has been out a few months now.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A few of us watched a jedi get jacked at coronet starport last saturday or sunday night. It was interesting and it drew a crowd of people just watching

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

basic hitler posted:

A few of us watched a jedi get jacked at coronet starport last saturday or sunday night. It was interesting and it drew a crowd of people just watching

This reads like a tweet sent within the Star Wars universe.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Actually been having fun with this. Almost to Novice BH. Lots of players logged in most of the time. Server is pretty stable, too.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

its all nice on rice posted:

Actually been having fun with this. Almost to Novice BH. Lots of players logged in most of the time. Server is pretty stable, too.

Bas is pretty stable except when they push a major update, then you can expect a few weeks of utter Hell trying to play. I still prefer Aftermath personally, but Bas is totally a viable choice too.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm on Basilisk, Master Rifleman/Master Medic/most of the way through Master Combat Medic. My name is Nasreddin Hodja and I need a guild, I'd be stoked to join ya'll goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Frog Act posted:

I'm on Basilisk, Master Rifleman/Master Medic/most of the way through Master Combat Medic. My name is Nasreddin Hodja and I need a guild, I'd be stoked to join ya'll goons

Join the discord channel. I can add you to Goonsquad.