Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh actually it looks like he shut his forums down due to a surplus of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
probably a lot of History Dads and Dudes In Military Jackets Who Are Really Really Into World War Two But Hey They're Definitely Not Nazis, Man!

also great project, really loving Hardcore Prophecy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkFkJolsWA

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Interesting, but so, so deep into history dad territory.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Eh, that's not a bad thing. I'd listen to more Dan Carlin's History Dad Hour.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean, Dan Carlin pretty much is history dad territory (which sucks). The respite is when it's not about WORLD WAR 2 or just SOME WAR, like that great German medieval ep.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm really liking tides of history though the amount of ads are a bit excessive.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm really liking tides of history though the amount of ads are a bit excessive.

hadn't heard about this, first ep sounds cool

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mike12345 posted:

hadn't heard about this, first ep sounds cool

He did another podcast about the fall of Rome if you want to hear more of his stuff

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's basically the same podcast. You should listen to fall of rome first seeing as it's only like 15 episodes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've listened to a couple more episodes of tides, but I don't understand/like his way of structuring the show. He argues it's like having tv shows side by side, but why even make it that way? Just release the first show, then the second. Or split it into separate rss feeds. Even considering that, the rise of the state starts, interesting episode, then it's two episodes on byzantine, then - apparently going back to the rise of the state show - two episodes on military history. Even skipping the byzantine episodes, the transition to military history from a cultural history episode - eh. Really don't like it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I've listened to a couple more episodes of tides, but I don't understand/like his way of structuring the show. He argues it's like having tv shows side by side, but why even make it that way? Just release the first show, then the second. Or split it into separate rss feeds. Even considering that, the rise of the state starts, interesting episode, then it's two episodes on byzantine, then - apparently going back to the rise of the state show - two episodes on military history. Even skipping the byzantine episodes, the transition to military history from a cultural history episode - eh. Really don't like it.

I think that it's supposed to help keep him interested so he isn't diving into so much of one centuries materiel constantly. It really is too bad, the info is fantastic but the lovely sound effects, the constant ads, and the schedule really drags the show down.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dan Carlin did a Google Talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgctx6nmCw

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005
I just listened to Carlin’s most recent Common Sense episode. Sounds like the current political environment has really taken his toll on him. He says Common Sense isn’t going to be coming out very frequently anymore though it isn’t being cancelled.

He also announced that he plans to start an new history podcast that is separate from Hardcore History (but not replacing it). Should be shorter and more frequently releases with more things like interviews.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hazborgufen posted:

I just listened to Carlin’s most recent Common Sense episode. Sounds like the current political environment has really taken his toll on him. He says Common Sense isn’t going to be coming out very frequently anymore though it isn’t being cancelled.

He also announced that he plans to start an new history podcast that is separate from Hardcore History (but not replacing it). Should be shorter and more frequently releases with more things like interviews.
Somehow I doubt that it'll pan out that way.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Somehow I doubt that it'll pan out that way.
Fairly sure he's promised that more than once in the past decade. He tried with the weird blitz episodes, but guy loves longform.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Hazborgufen posted:

I just listened to Carlin’s most recent Common Sense episode. Sounds like the current political environment has really taken his toll on him.

He talks about that in this google talk. Apparently we're so far into retarded uncharted waters that he feels as much as a novice as anyone else and doesn't feel like he has anything meaningful insight to contribute in the realm of modern politics

Also that google talk was alright

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any suggestions for podcasts that have the same general vibe as No Such Thing As A Fish? Light, fun, casual, and the ratio of comedy to information is in the latter's favor?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights posted:

He talks about that in this google talk. Apparently we're so far into retarded uncharted waters that he feels as much as a novice as anyone else and doesn't feel like he has anything meaningful insight to contribute in the realm of modern politics

Also that google talk was alright

I really liked the google talk.

Carlin is a hell of a talker.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

stealie72 posted:

Fairly sure he's promised that more than once in the past decade. He tried with the weird blitz episodes, but guy loves longform.

I listened to his entire HH back catalogue last year, and I think it was about the fifth episode in where he started by saying "yeah, this took too long, I'll try and find some ways of getting content out quicker".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've got no sympathy for Carlin. He was peddling that both sides false equivalency South Park bullshit that paved the way to the hell we're in. Full complicity.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've got no sympathy for Carlin. He was peddling that both sides false equivalency South Park bullshit that paved the way to the hell we're in. Full complicity.

Goddamn, I cant believe Dan Carlin is to blame for the rise of Donald Trump. How come nobody is talking about this?!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
white fragility is gonna kill me one day

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's reasonable to say that both parties are the same in that they both support and perpetuate the inequalities in our society. They both love capitalism and finance. The Democrats are certainly the lesser of two evils, and infinitely preferable to the mad death cult that is the Republican party. But they aren't willing to address any serious, systemic issues. Even Barack Obama's response to Black Lives Matter was to speak in support of them and do nothing and ignore them after that.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

white fragility is gonna kill me one day

Ideological rigidity, rush to hyperbole, and a pathological need to frame everything in terms of race. It's no wonder you don't like Carlin since one of his podcasts is dedicated almost entirely to arguing against your type of discourse.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Trogilus posted:

Ideological rigidity, rush to hyperbole, and a pathological need to frame everything in terms of race. It's no wonder you don't like Carlin since one of his podcasts is dedicated almost entirely to arguing against your type of discourse.

Let me tell you a little something about american history... all of it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trogilus posted:

Wow I am glad I avoid CS as that sounds awful.

I also assume it took six hours?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Trogilus posted:

Your not doing Carlin any favours here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

yikes

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like Carlin a lot but domestic US politics outside of election season is boring as gently caress, so why anyone would want to listen to common sense in the first place is beyond me

e: though I suppose if you're unfortunate enough to be american you might feel differently

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 31, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like Carlin a lot but domestic US politics outside of election season is boring as gently caress, so why anyone would want to listen to common sense in the first place is beyond me

It's like trainspotting (the hobby, not the movie), but in slow motion and they collide into each other and occasionally you're on the tracks.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

It's like trainspotting (the hobby, not the movie), but in slow motion and they collide into each other and occasionally you're on the tracks.

Spot on.

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

“Ideological rigidity, rush to hyperbole, and a pathological need to frame everything in terms of race.”

Are you saying you like the above things? Because Carlin’s podcast doesn’t do that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hazborgufen posted:

“Ideological rigidity, rush to hyperbole, and a pathological need to frame everything in terms of race.”

Are you saying you like the above things? Because Carlin’s podcast doesn’t do that.

The first two are empty talking points and the last thing is literally the framing of all things American politics.

So kind of?

Like anything that downplays the importance of race in American politics is by default trash.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mike Duncan's book is officially out, and he outdid his preorder target, so this might be the End of the Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic plugs on Revolutions! :toot:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CharlestheHammer posted:

The first two are empty talking points and the last thing is literally the framing of all things American politics.

So kind of?

Like anything that downplays the importance of race in American politics is by default trash.

Lol yeah it'd be like someone complaining "And why do all these discussions about Northern Irish politics keep talking about religion?".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Mike Duncan's book is officially out, and he outdid his preorder target, so this might be the End of the Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic plugs on Revolutions! :toot:

Thank god

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

I wish Mike Duncan would do all history, forever.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Not quite all of it! He made a joke on twitter that history ended in 1914, and everything after that is current events. He seems to have deleted it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Not quite all of it! He made a joke on twitter that history ended in 1914, and everything after that is current events. He seems to have deleted it though.

When he's done with history he can move onto the news, I won't mind.