Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

yet another new thingy: a competition entry for a "toxic waste" marker system for future generations.

http://ajrosales.com/a-black-mass-warning-of-nuclear-waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm going to rush right up and touch it, that's a classic RPG dungeon marker alright

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

floofyscorp posted:

Here's a picture of my desk at work:

I couldn't find any proper monitor rises in the office and we aren't fancy enough for those ergotron arm things so I'm using an old XBox360 as a monitor rise :v:

My favourite thing about this setup is how absolutely bewildered and lost anyone else gets when they have to use my machine for whatever reason.

Now, do you have that Xbox hooked up to the monitor it’s raising, for a surreptitious gaming sesh when no ones looking?

This will be the first time all my monitors are using vesa mounts instead of books/AutoCAD manuals/etc as risers, I’m a little nervous since it’s such a big step :ohdear:

What Wacom is that? A Cintiq? How do you like it? The guy I got my 4K from was selling a 21” Cintiq for $500, I was super tempted since I just can’t manage the intuos one I’ve got. Something about having to look away from my hand while I’m drawing, just can’t manage that well enough.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm going to rush right up and touch it, that's a classic RPG dungeon marker alright

There’s legitimately very little besides a featureless stretch of desert that would keep people away or imply danger to future generations. We’re just too curious of a species to let something like “giant, unnaturally carved rock thing with little pillars all around” keep us out.

I’m pretty sure everyone who’s ever heard of the concept has their own ideas for what would work, too, so holding a contest is probably the best call.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 23, 2017

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

Now, do you have that Xbox hooked up to the monitor it’s raising, for a surreptitious gaming sesh when no ones looking?

What Wacom is that? A Cintiq? How do you like it? The guy I got my 4K from was selling a 21” Cintiq for $500, I was super tempted since I just can’t manage the intuos one I’ve got. Something about having to look away from my hand while I’m drawing, just can’t manage that well enough.

Nah, sadly the XBox is dead. I think it was used for compatibility testing back when we were making games for that platform. I play games on my work machine instead, only at lunchtime of course. Unless it's for research!

This is a Cintiq22HD. It was bought for my colleague and I decided to give it a try after he quit since it was just going to gather dust instead. I LOVE IT. I don't use it when I'm working in Maya but for Photoshop and ZBrush it's sooooo good, makes painting and sculpting so much more natural and tactile. I tend to work with it at an angle like in the photo but it can be tilted right up to almost vertical and when I'm using it for a long session it's more comfortable to have it a bit more upright. It makes the difference between my work and home setups even more stark though, my workhorse A5 Intuos at home feels downright dinky and awkward after a day on the Cintiq.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What would be the best rendering package to learn from scratch? I'm mainly looking to do product renders and simple animations, and I've briefly looked into V Ray and Maxwell, but mainly Keyshot (which seems to be more CAD oriented).

I will have existing models and assemblies from Solidworks, so there needs to be a import workflow, but otherwise I'm mainly concerned about there being a reasonable balance between the learning curve and output quality. I've found having a large existing community helps a lot too, in terms of being able to google answers or youtube videos.

I don't have enough experience to know if the rendering engine matters less than getting the lighting and textures right or what really differentiates the different packages, so any advice to point me in the right direction is appreciated - thanks!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Vray, Arnold, Redshift, Corona. In any order.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress you font bevels, gently caress youuuuuuu.

Anyone have any tips on bevelling fonts neatly?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress you font bevels, gently caress youuuuuuu.

Anyone have any tips on bevelling fonts neatly?

Bevel vector fonts?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They are vector fonts. As you can see, simple font shapes bevel fine. Ones with sharp corners tend to self intersect when bevelled. I end up having to produce hand crafted vertexes at that point. :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Huh. Might have to convert them to poly and do it by hand then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats what I've been doing any time I have to work with 3d text.

there's got to be a better way.gif

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats what I've been doing any time I have to work with 3d text.

there's got to be a better way.gif

What font is that?

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
I seem to remember there being some Blender people in here. Anybody looking for a job? I'm looking to hire somebody with a specialty in lighting/texturing/rendering interiors for a full time, good paying job in the greater Los Angeles area. Must be a blender user because of a proprietary workflow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

What font is that?

Bauhaus 93. But it occurs a lot with decorative fonts.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

SVU Fan posted:

I seem to remember there being some Blender people in here. Anybody looking for a job? I'm looking to hire somebody with a specialty in lighting/texturing/rendering interiors for a full time, good paying job in the greater Los Angeles area. Must be a blender user because of a proprietary workflow.

Message Keket here, he's a blender dude, not sure if he's looking at the moment but he might know someone who is.
@monsterwanted on Twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has anyone used Mixamo? It's basically a stock library of action animations right? I had a short but specific animation I was looking to recreate this using a turbosquid model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIojHwo_4XM

but I can't rig/animate to save my life

SVU Fan posted:

Have you tried the DMA LA usergroup? I literally don't know anyone who uses Blender professionally but you might some luck with a young artist who learned off that.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Haha, if I didn’t have so much responsibility here (and didn’t love the little family this studio has become), I’d go for that in an instant. I’m somewhat sick of TV VFX, it’s taken up all my work time so I haven’t been able to work on our VR game or short film or other client projects, and I have a feeling Archvis is not quite that bad, schedule-wise.

Keket is a good guy, he helped us out some on High Castle this year and really knocked his assets out of the park. He’s UK so there’s that, but he may know US people. I’ll see if I have any Blender buddies looking, since I know it’s a rare professional skill.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone used Mixamo? It's basically a stock library of action animations right? I had a short but specific animation I was looking to recreate this using a turbosquid model

I have, it's good. Got a dj, barman, tons of conversation etc from there for a recent project.
It is completely free with an Adobe cc subscription.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

SVU Fan posted:

Busy working on Star Citizen I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd be all the gently caress over this ;-;

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
My friends at corridor digital got this young guy as an intern who does Blender stuff but he's taken. I could ask where they find these open source kids

Keket posted:

Busy working on Star Citizen I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd be all the gently caress over this ;-;

I'm afraid too honestly

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 29, 2017

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
People using blender for work? :aaa:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Blender is cool and good

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Blender is cool and good

Can confirm. I used it for work for a couple years (not very prestigious work, but still). I've gone through a career transition so I don't use it as much anymore but I still find ways to squeeze it into work when I can. It's good.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Blender is awesome. Pretty sure we're going to be able to drop Maya at work because I got the marketing person to try it out after showing her pretty pictures from Cycles renders. Maya was way overkill for what she was doing and saves the company a couple grand a year. Now if only I could get this U3D importer working because DXF sucks for huge imports.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
That's my observation. If the cost of the software is make or break for the organization and not the people piloting the software .. then.. yeah reserved for small outfits.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know that big places aren't using blender in production in any kind of large scale but if smaller places continue to switch over hopefully it might be some much needed competition for Autodesk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If they'll start competing on price... :getin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
IMO Blender's UI is what you get when people who use 3D software lots design software

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

echinopsis posted:

IMO Blender's UI is what you get when people who use 3D software lots design software

Which is why it's great. Not a joke - it's very unique (what 3d software isn't, though?), and can take some time getting used to, but after a little bit you realize how quickly it allows you to get things done and how flexible it is.

The "no floating windows" philosophy has amazingly not caught up to all other software yet and that makes me sad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Taffer posted:

The "no floating windows" philosophy has amazingly not caught up to all other software yet and that makes me sad.

you can pry my floating windows from my corner of the second monitor where I pushed it 95% off the screen and cant find it anymore.

i'm serious please do I don't know where I put anything and I have 3 copies of max open so I keep clicking on a window that belongs to a different copy of max.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Photoshop manages to screw up floating windows real good with their bastardized UI. When you run it on a big 4K monitor it always places them in the upper left corner of the screen, regardless of window position.

Floating windows are the worst, followed by "pie menus" which are an unfortunate favorite of Blender add-on devs. The spacebar menu of Maya is something that should never be duplicated.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hot take: Most UI solutions look ridiculous to newcomers and are actually very useful after months/years of using them.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I hated Maya's spacebar menu at first, but I've grown to like it. I keep meaning to look into customising it to remove all the poo poo I don't use like I do with my Photoshop menus.

Having not used Blender, what does it do as an alternative to floating windows? Tabby panel things like ZBrush?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My biggest UI complaint, and I fully realize this is my own ignorance, is the naming or properties. I feel like there should be a "generalist" option for most UI's that takes everything that's accurately scientifically named (and thus a mystery to us plebes) and just names it *what it loving does*.

Almost like an "explain it to me like I'm five" version of UI properties.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

Having not used Blender, what does it do as an alternative to floating windows? Tabby panel things like ZBrush?

A lot of Blender stuff is hotkey based around an operator. You set the settings of the operator with more hotkeys(if it's complicated) and numbers and then apply it but until you do another operation, you can go to a side panel like ZBrush and continue to adjust the settings. Blender kind of has the concept of floating windows for choosing operators but they always appear relative to the mouse and if the mouse leaves the area of the menu, it disappears. This can get tedious with really small windows if you bump the mouse on accident.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated. I'm sure I could just go to whatever Blender forum and scout people out, but I thought I'd give ya'll first crack at it! It's not a junior position; would be a mid-level interior rendering position with a salary some of you may be real surprised to see lol.

Big K of Justice posted:

People using blender for work? :aaa:

Yup. I head up a division at a not-small company, and we use Blender because of some proprietary workflow stuff that Blender just handles extremely well/easily, especially since all of our senior dev team can use it and script/automate cool poo poo for us constantly. I do everything else in Maya/ZBrush, and move stuff over to Blender when it's time for that proprietary part of the workflow. Blender to me actually has a really nice UI for certain things, but not in a million years would I ever use it for my modeling/sculpting needs.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Keeping on topic, i did the retopo/uving for this in Blender, it's pretty easy and nice to use.

I just finished this, had it in the unfinished pile for almost a year. The model is free to download/use on sketchfab. There's a single diff texture version and a PBR version. Any critique is appreciated, but i probably won't revisit this.

Single Diffuse texture ver.

PBR ver.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 1, 2017

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Having trouble with Zbrush. I have a model that has UVs applied using UV master, and it's polypainted, but when I create texture from polypaint, the color doesn't transfer consistently. What am I screwing up this time?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Listerine posted:

Having trouble with Zbrush. I have a model that has UVs applied using UV master, and it's polypainted, but when I create texture from polypaint, the color doesn't transfer consistently. What am I screwing up this time?

Hmmm - that is odd. I would say that UV master doesn't always make the best UVs. Make polygroups and split up your shells using the polygroup button in UV master. This will give you more shells but possibly better unwrapping.

Other than bad / weird UVs, I am not sure. UV master is pretty magical but creates poo poo UVs sometimes. Specifically in regards to seam placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Hmmm - that is odd. I would say that UV master doesn't always make the best UVs. Make polygroups and split up your shells using the polygroup button in UV master. This will give you more shells but possibly better unwrapping.

Other than bad / weird UVs, I am not sure. UV master is pretty magical but creates poo poo UVs sometimes. Specifically in regards to seam placement.

I just went back and looked at the resulting UVs and I think it's an issue of overlap, I'll try that polygrouping and see if it fixes it. Thanks for the help.