Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Yvonmukluk posted:

I finally listened to the Council Member Tamika Flynn trilogy. Figured I'd do it all at once

Was this the first time the City Council (as in the collective 'city Council', not including Tamika) did something by itself to resolve the plot?

I like how the Council's tendency to go on vacation at the first sign of trouble actually worked in the town's favour for once.

They got rustled being told they weren't needed and did everything out of passive aggressive spite. Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
So I've been playing the printable version of Secret Hitler and it's been a lot of fun. There are some reskins of the game based on IPs like Star Wars, Game of Thrones, etc. and I was thinking about designing a reskin based on Welcome to Night Vale.

As a brief summary, Secret Hitler is a hidden role game in which there is a team of fascists and a team of liberals. It's played out in rounds where a player picks a running mate (chancellor) and runs for president. If elected, the two work together to pass either a liberal or fascist policy. The fascists are hidden amongst the liberals and work to enact fascist policies or elect Hitler as president. I think it would be fun to try it with Nightvale characters, but there are some possible problems with :siren:ludonarrative dissonance:siren:.

Instead of president and chancellor, players could run for mayor and vice mayor. The main problem is that there's not many obvious good guys and baddies in the Night Vale universe. I'm thinking that the team of liberals could become "citizens". While there are plenty of strange and mysterious citizens of Night Vale, the characters on this team (Cecil, Carlos, Jackie, etc.) at least share a desire for Night Vale to be independent and free (though none of them can be free of the existential dread which consumes us all). The fascists would be harder to design since the few obviously evil characters aren't aligned with each other like a cabal of Nazis would be. "Outsiders" would work as a name, as long as people suspend their disbelief about a Strexcorp employee and Chad's adorable yet diabolic puppy working together. I'm not really sure who Hitler would be, either.

Also, I'm not sure what language to use instead of "fascist" and "liberal" policies. One kind would make the Night Vale more horrifying and sinister, the other would make the town friendlier to live in.

I know this is a really silly concept, but I'd love some input in how to make the game work while still carrying the weird and funny tone of the show. Excuse my hastily-designed mockup of a game card for Cecil.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 26, 2017

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You could maybe do Night Vale and Desert Bluffs or Night Vale and Strexcorp? In which case the policies could be City Council or Church of the Smiling God.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Okay then, if talking about the books is fine here:

1) When does It Devours takes place? I don't recall any of the events of the book being mentioned, even offhandedly in the podcast so far, but it definitely seems to take place before the Huntokar arc and possibly before the Good Boy arc? There's an offhand mention of a discussion of dogs and "Who's a good boy", but that's about it.

2) Kevin: So if Kevin founded the church that eventually converted him from a defiant radio host into... well, Kevin, does that mean his whole life is an ouroboros? And what did they mean by "he went through the oak doors and returned, and then was sent back through the oak door"? Was the events of Old Oak Doors the first or the second time he went through them? I'm assuming the first time, because the way the ritual book is written sounds like strex-Kevin.

Edit: The novel takes place after Cecil and Carlos' wedding, so I'm not sure why I thought it may not have been after the Good Boy arc.

The book is ignoring a lot of details of the desert world, probably to be friendlier to new readers. It Devours feels more standalone the the first book.

Like Carlos wasn't alone there. He had the giants right? And the other missing people. For a time he was even considering moving there with Cecil so the place couldn't have been THAT hellish.

I was more disappointed Kevin only got a name drop but I suppose he works better as a foil to Cecil. Felt weird his new Desert Bluffs also had no mention but time is weird in Night Vale so it may not exist yet.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The book is ignoring a lot of details of the desert world, probably to be friendlier to new readers. It Devours feels more standalone the the first book.

Like Carlos wasn't alone there. He had the giants right? And the other missing people. For a time he was even considering moving there with Cecil so the place couldn't have been THAT hellish.

I was more disappointed Kevin only got a name drop but I suppose he works better as a foil to Cecil. Felt weird his new Desert Bluffs also had no mention but time is weird in Night Vale so it may not exist yet.

They mention that Kevin was in the Desert Otherworld for 40 years, before returning. And the book also says that 1 year outside is equal to 10 years inside, so it's possible that they're hinting that Kevin will return in 2018. Then again, with the "Time is Weird" theme running through the book, maybe the Desert Otherworld Desert Bluffs somehow becomes the Desert Bluffs of the Night Vale dimension, in the past.

Are there any podcasts like Welcome to Night Vale that scratches the "surreal horror/humorous" itch? Alice Isn't Dead leans heavily on the surreal horror aspect, and I enjoyed it, but the other Night Vale Presents podcasts I couldn't get into. I've tried The Black Tapes and Tanis, and enjoyed Limetown until it ended.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Randalor posted:

Are there any podcasts like Welcome to Night Vale that scratches the "surreal horror/humorous" itch? Alice Isn't Dead leans heavily on the surreal horror aspect, and I enjoyed it, but the other Night Vale Presents podcasts I couldn't get into. I've tried The Black Tapes and Tanis, and enjoyed Limetown until it ended.

We have such sights to show you.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Wow, thanks for the plug.

In response to the initial query, there was another one by Pacific Northwest Studios that came out in the last year: Rabbits. It clearly shows that it’s by the same people as Tanis and TBTP but I enjoyed listening to it. It was released as Season 1, so it stands to see if it just ends up dithering as their shows tend to. All that said, Season 1 was a fairly tight story that could stand on its own.

Also, Limetown is in the works for a second season.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Ratatozsk posted:

Also, Limetown is in the works for a second season.

Have they announced they're coming back to that instead of working on the possible tv show? If so, gently caress yeah, I'm in.

Staying with the topic, I listened to all three Tamika Flynn City Council episodes on a flight last week and drat, it plays so well. It was really nice to kinda make you feel a bit more complexly about Tamika, too. Always seen her as a hero since the Librarians and Strex, but then the turns she made towards the near authoritarian that may have been trying to good gave me something to chew on that I wasn't expecting. I can't wait to see if there's gonna be more of that coming in the future.

soupcan58 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 26, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Is this the best place to talk about how much I'm loving I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats? Because that's been incredibly good so far.

It's great just listening to two well spoken dudes (and their equally well spoken guests) talking about art and politics and the value of having roadies and so on. And I can't wait to buy the covers album when the season wraps up. So I guess I have nothing of substance to say other than to just kind of flail super positively, but if you aren't listening to it you should really give it a shot.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

soupcan58 posted:

Have they announced they're coming back to that instead of working on the possible tv show? If so, gently caress yeah, I'm in.

The email in June discussed a prequel novel, work on a tv show, and season 2 podcast. But not much detail beyond that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

I am enjoying the show where a nerd geeks out about a musician I've never heard of and tells others how life-changing the experience is. In addition to I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats, It Makes a Sound is pretty good. :rimshot:

Seriously, though, I thought the first episode of IMS was painful, as I was having trouble accepting that this fictional musician was so important and endless superlatives weren't convincing me. By episode 2 or 3, though, I realized that was the point. He's important to her personally but probably not to anyone else.

Unironically recommend listening to All Hail West Texas and then the new podcast tho

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

cptn_dr posted:

Is this the best place to talk about how much I'm loving I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats? Because that's been incredibly good so far.

It's great just listening to two well spoken dudes (and their equally well spoken guests) talking about art and politics and the value of having roadies and so on. And I can't wait to buy the covers album when the season wraps up. So I guess I have nothing of substance to say other than to just kind of flail super positively, but if you aren't listening to it you should really give it a shot.

Seriously, if I weren't dirt poor right now, I'd already have the vinyl pre-ordered. The covers of an already fantastic album have just been incredibly good so far. Color in your Cheeks has been the standout of the first three for me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, I went out and listened to a whole bunch of Ibibio Sound Machine as soon as I was done with episode 3 - they're super good.

I'm most looking forward to Eliza Rickman's cover, whatever it ends up being, because Eliza is always great, but seriously, every one of them has been top notch so far.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

soupcan58 posted:

Seriously, if I weren't dirt poor right now, I'd already have the vinyl pre-ordered. The covers of an already fantastic album have just been incredibly good so far. Color in your Cheeks has been the standout of the first three for me.

Considering color in your cheeks is bare minimum the third best song on the album, that's not surprising (the best song is all Star Running back)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Considering color in your cheeks is bare minimum the third best song on the album, that's not surprising (the best song is all Star Running back)

It’s Jenny you ignorant lout. :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s Jenny you ignorant lout. :colbert:

Wrong, Jenny woukdnt be as good without Running Back to set it up

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just picked up one of the new Within the Wires prints! Are you guys cool with signing non Night Vale items at the book signings? I was planning to bring the print and my copy of It Devours to the Dallas signing.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This... Is a weird episode of night vale

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

My first thought for reskinning Liberal / Fascist policies would be to rename them "Worshipful" and "Apocalyptic" policies. With the former showing a Bloodstone Circle and the latter showing a Dark Planet of Impossible Size.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Farg posted:

This... Is a weird episode of night vale

It's probably one of the more jarring departures from the usual of all the guest written episodes I've heard but I liked it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually really have not liked the last four episodes of Welcome to Night Vale.

The most recent episode just had really jarring, broad comedy that I not only felt was out of tone for the show - which I would have been fine with, if it wasn't also not really funny.

Then the three part Councilwoman Flynn had the very troubling message of "young women POC activists are actually secretly violent corrupt despots and the old white guy political establishment needs to step in and establish order." In the current political climate, it was really bizarre to hear WTNV of all podcasts give three whole episodes to mouthing a Trump talking point. The fact that I'm sure the WTNV people didn't intend to do that but did so anyways is also rather sad and disappointing.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm one of the few people enjoying this season of Within the Wires.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did you just assume the City Council's race and gender?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually really have not liked the last four episodes of Welcome to Night Vale.

The most recent episode just had really jarring, broad comedy that I not only felt was out of tone for the show - which I would have been fine with, if it wasn't also not really funny.

Then the three part Councilwoman Flynn had the very troubling message of "young women POC activists are actually secretly violent corrupt despots and the old white guy political establishment needs to step in and establish order." In the current political climate, it was really bizarre to hear WTNV of all podcasts give three whole episodes to mouthing a Trump talking point. The fact that I'm sure the WTNV people didn't intend to do that but did so anyways is also rather sad and disappointing.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm one of the few people enjoying this season of Within the Wires.

I'd argue that in fact the point was that Tamika wasn't corrupt at all, its just she's still used to looking at things through the lens of leading an army to overthrow tyranny and not, you know, governing. She is only a teenager, after all. She also surrendered her extra powers entirely peacefully when the crisis was over.

Also, Dana is also a young woman POC, and she was the voice of reason throughout all this.

Also, it was established that City Council is a gestalt of various people of various genders (ethnicity is unclear, but there both male & female names dropped in the council's argument with itself).

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Well when a tree falls it makes a goddamn sound I tell you what.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gonna get a pair of those hideous/awesome Night Vale leggings when they come back in stock, but I also liked all the recent storylines, so maybe I just have no taste?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I like the eGemony story. It's hilarious

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drunkencarp posted:

Well when a tree falls it makes a goddamn sound I tell you what.

Yeah, it was great.

So, the next step is either going to be investigating about some of the details of Wym's life (there's clearly a lot going on other than his music - the death in the family? Being treated for depression? Who did he bury?), or Deidre's going to undertake an I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats approach to recreating the attic tape with her new cover band. Maybe both!

I suspect we will never hear the music of Wym Faros for real, and I'm OK with that. So long as we remember him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, it was great.

So, the next step is either going to be investigating about some of the details of Wym's life (there's clearly a lot going on other than his music - the death in the family? Being treated for depression? Who did he bury?), or Deidre's going to undertake an I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats approach to recreating the attic tape with her new cover band. Maybe both!

I suspect we will never hear the music of Wym Faros for real, and I'm OK with that. So long as we remember him.

Well, I guess I was right on both! Also oh my god, Deidre still uses AOL. The fact Wym Faros not only knew Deidre, but kept a clipping about her & wrote a song for her makes an interesting twist on the typical 'fan obsessed with someone who never knew they existed'. Also good to see that the music of Wym Faros is bringing people together.

I can't wait for the next episode of I Only Listen To Wym Faros.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
http://deadline.com/2017/12/fx-welcome-to-night-vale-production-deal-podcast-1202222829/

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Welcome to Night Vale, the popular, spooky podcast and book series, is heading to television. FX has struck a development deal with Sony Pictures Television for a Night Vale series. Gennifer Hutchison, currently an Executive Producer of Better Call Saul, will adapt the podcast for television and executive produce the series under her Sony Pictures Television overall deal.
:eyepop:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Can't wait for this and Alice Isn't Dead :allears:

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

I thought I remembered someone in the Night Vale crew saying something big was coming down the pipe, but I wasn't quite expecting a TV deal. I could just be misremembering something someone else said, though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

All I'm gonna say is if it's not using the same cast then what's the point. This show ain't Night Vale without at least Cecile Baldwin and Dylan Marion.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I gotta echo that the last two three-parter episodes just haven't worked for me. Councilwoman Flynn and eGemony just sort of went on too long and ended with whimpers. I know the focus for this season has been trying a new format, but the extra-long episodes just haven't worked for me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yo we did Alice Isn't Dead live at Pod Con in Seattle the other day, and imo it went pretty drat well

(photo by a tumblr user who's name I can no longer find because that site's search engine is the loving worst)

and now TONIGHT for our pateron donors please join us for a special live chat as Joseph Fink, creator of Alice Isn't Dead, shows puzzlement followed by frustration with my refusal to stop speaking in a really bad Australian accent for no reason. https://www.patreon.com/posts/15828956

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I see that Stay Home Club "Recluse" shirt and I like it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Earwicker posted:

yo we did Alice Isn't Dead live at Pod Con in Seattle the other day, and imo it went pretty drat well

(photo by a tumblr user who's name I can no longer find because that site's search engine is the loving worst)

and now TONIGHT for our pateron donors please join us for a special live chat as Joseph Fink, creator of Alice Isn't Dead, shows puzzlement followed by frustration with my refusal to stop speaking in a really bad Australian accent for no reason. https://www.patreon.com/posts/15828956

Guessing the Podcon remote attendance is the only way to get a recording of this?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as far as I know, yes. I don't even have a recording of it myself

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Oh my (today's episode)

It's good to hear you again ----Kevin----

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh my (today's episode)

It's good to hear you again ----Kevin----

Good God, I forgot how creepy he is :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

One thing is I wish that the live shows would do away with the modular format. I much prefer Condos to Ghost Stories and All Hail. Nothing really moves the show along other than Cecil since they're all written to not be there. And chatting with someone at PodCon from Utah, there was 0 overlap with the guests other than Cecil and either Joseph or Jeffrey. Literally we saw two totally different shows that tried for the same payoff.

I did immensely enjoy the Alice Isn't Dead showing and getting to say Hi to Earwicker in the Elevator on the way down after the show. So that was great.