Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

why would u not get an ssd for teh boot fdrive at least in this day in age

why the gently caress would i, windows 10 has seconds of boot time on my laptop infinitely shittier than that config

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i3 wtf

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Get a 128-256gb M.2 SSD for the boot volume and keep the media stuff on platter. i3 is probably fine and the built-in decoders will do all the work for h.264/265 so playback should not be an issue. That motherboard is idiotic just get whatever reference design supports your CPU and have the ports you want from a vendor with a good return policy. So long as you have display port out you should be able to covert that in to whatever goofy new formats they come up with down the road.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

read the specs

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Get a 128-256gb M.2 SSD for the boot volume and keep the media stuff on platter. i3 is probably fine and the built-in decoders will do all the work for h.264/265 so playback should not be an issue. That motherboard is idiotic just get whatever reference design supports your CPU and have the ports you want from a vendor with a good return policy. So long as you have display port out you should be able to covert that in to whatever goofy new formats they come up with down the road.

well you pitch me a motherboard, return policy is good for anything in eu. that's my whole question, i can figure the rest on my own but pcpartpicker for whatever reason has like a dozen 370th motherboards of which 5 fit of which just 1 is not crap. im much more worried over hdmi speed discrepancies than an irrelevant ssd

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If you're looking to save as much money as possible, ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac. If you're willing to spend a bit for a more reputable brand, the GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you're looking to save as much money as possible, ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac. If you're willing to spend a bit for a more reputable brand, the GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI.

looked at both of those and didn't like something, that i can put in better words in about an hour. as cheap as possible is not something im considering, since 1200 is as much as ill drop on this with no hesitation or afterthought

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

quoting from greythread

this computer will suck rear end. u need an ssd system disk, not a lovely 5400RPM platter disk. get a i5-8400 or i5-8600K instead. you're also going to need some ram.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just buy the drat thing, who cares

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

this computer will suck rear end. u need an ssd system disk, not a lovely 5400RPM platter disk. get a i5-8400 or i5-8600K instead. you're also going to need some ram.

nice reading skills

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just buy the drat thing, who cares

i care

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

How many displays are you going to drive off this thing? That gigabyte has a HDMI2.0 port but that all is kinda moot when DisplayPort is king-poo poo of bandwidth mountain and you can just convert that in to HDMI 2.x

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How many displays are you going to drive off this thing? That gigabyte has a HDMI2.0 port but that all is kinda moot when DisplayPort is king-poo poo of bandwidth mountain and you can just convert that in to HDMI 2.x

single 4k tv, solely for movie watching

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nice reading skills

i read your post. you want to use it as an office machine and media machine. it will suck rear end as you have specced it out.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
just buy a freenas mini

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

i read your post. you want to use it as an office machine and media machine. it will suck rear end as you have specced it out.

i want it to be a media machine that can use word, excel, and play farmville if need be. it is considerably stronger than my current computer, which does all of this (except 4k playback) without any hiccups

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

No seriously throw a small ssd in there.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i want it to be a media machine that can use word, excel, and play farmville if need be. it is considerably stronger than my current computer, which does all of this (except 4k playback) without any hiccups

the biggest problem is your hard disk. it will suck rear end for even basic stuff with a 5400RPM spinner. no excuse not to get an SSD in 2017. i would upgrade the processor because you obviously want to use it for more than just a media box.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you didn't actually want pc part picking advice then why the gently caress did you post here asking for it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No seriously throw a small ssd in there.

i will but that's not the primary question i have so seeing it repeatedly mentioned tilts me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

the biggest problem is your hard disk. it will suck rear end for even basic stuff with a 5400RPM spinner. no excuse not to get an SSD in 2017. i would upgrade the processor because you obviously want to use it for more than just a media box.

An 8th gen i3 has similar clocks to a low end i5 just 4c instead of 6 and he doesn't have a use case for those extra cores

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

i will not be using it personally, and there's a pimped out imac in the household. its a media box that in doomsday event can run chrome and word. 5400rpm is perfectly fine for that purpose, ive been on 5400rpm spinners for years.

akadajet posted:

if you didn't actually want pc part picking advice then why the gently caress did you post here asking for it?

i want a motherboard picking advice, not more or less. maybe a passively cooled psu suggestion.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i will but that's not the primary question i have so seeing it repeatedly mentioned tilts me

...the rope? but I can still dig with my fingernails!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i want a motherboard picking advice, not more or less. maybe a passively cooled psu suggestion.

how about a passive-aggressively cooled suggestion?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pimped out imac

lol, you can't even get one with a proper SSD configured

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

to be clear on i3 choice, there's basically just one igpu for 8th gen if considered from uhd playback perspective

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

lol, you can't even get one with a proper SSD configured
it has 3tb fusion drive (a few years old model)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it has 3tb fusion drive (a few years old model)

Yeah, that's my point. It's some lame rear end hybrid drive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

how about a passive-aggressively cooled suggestion?

ill be running too hot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

yeah and it has caused no complaints from my parenrs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

right, so im at the pc, and the only complaint i held against this one is my own stupidity, e.g. it lists s/pdif out header on internal i/o, but not back panel, and i can't quite visualise how would my dad be hooking his audio setup to this, or what extra considerations i have to make for build process and case choice in this regard. otherwise i like this motherboard more, assuming that megachips chip is in fact on board, supporting 4k@60 in tandem with 8th gen igpu

e: looking at the layot, the chuip is there, so question is spdif

e2: okay, so an expansion card is need for spdif, lets check out that then

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 31, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i will not be using it personally, and there's a pimped out imac in the household. its a media box that in doomsday event can run chrome and word. 5400rpm is perfectly fine for that purpose, ive been on 5400rpm spinners for years.

"im not limited by spinning-platter! im not limited by spinning-platter!", i continue to insist as i slowly spin up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

"im not limited by spinning-platter! im not limited by spinning-platter!", i continue to insist as i slowly spin up.

i was already full spin if you cant infer from the tone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

lmao no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($128.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.49 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($117.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone - ML03B HTPC Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($133.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus - Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($77.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $932.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 12:02 EDT-0400

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

turns out its basically pointless to buy <250gb ssd in 2017 if you want to buy a decent one

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wait for a cheaper motherboard, i3 8100 on a z370 is a complete waste

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

wait for a cheaper motherboard, i3 8100 on a z370 is a complete waste

im 300 under budget so im not going to fret over 50 dollar savings. also not in too much of a position to wait

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im 300 under budget so im not going to fret over 50 dollar savings. also not in too much of a position to wait

cinci zoo sniper's dad posted:

THESE 4K MOVIES WON'T WAIT, SON.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yea my parents watch movies nearly every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yea my parents watch movies nearly every day

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please to be helping us, son. From these 1080p rips we are suffering as dogs.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 31, 2017