Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is it just me, or does this game seem harder than the previous one? I swear I died like 30 times during the courtroom scene on Normal difficulty, and only survived by crouching and snailing along the walls of the room with the chaingun ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rookersh posted:

Eh, its consistent at least. I love person's lines in the Fergus ending, but everyone else uh.

More importantly though, the Wyatt stuff explains that plotpoint that got dropped midway through the Fergus timeline and sets up 3 better.

I just preferred how much more passionate it was with the preacher and Grace

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

What video card are you running?

1080TI

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

GUI posted:

idtech 5/6 were made with linear shooters in mind and Bethesda games have a massive scale and plenty of things to deal with under the hood such as object states. Plenty of their longevity comes from modding too, which would undoubtedly be gone if they switched over to a fancy new engine.

they've been used for linear shooters so far, but the levels themselves are huge. This engine would be amazing for an open tactical game like SWAT/R6 or the like, you could model something like a museum or a huge dark office building amazingly well.

this engine does "physicality" amazing well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does parkour terribly, though. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've wanted to climb on top of a box and buttslid across it instead.

Also, everyone's complaints about the constrictor harness being fiddly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I just preferred how much more passionate it was with the preacher and Grace

See I loved Grace and her passion. If the whole speech was her, I'd have been stoked.

But Horton suuuucked.

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS RISE UP

look at your hands they got blood

AMERICA IS BACK

yeah we lost man

Like gently caress man.

At least with Wyatt it's stable throughout.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tumble posted:

they've been used for linear shooters so far, but the levels themselves are huge. This engine would be amazing for an open tactical game like SWAT/R6 or the like, you could model something like a museum or a huge dark office building amazingly well.

this engine does "physicality" amazing well.

I'm telling you guys, I'll be shocked if Arkane Studios doesn't get their hands on it for Prey 2 or Dishonored 3

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

ymgve posted:

Is it just me, or does this game seem harder than the previous one? I swear I died like 30 times during the courtroom scene on Normal difficulty, and only survived by crouching and snailing along the walls of the room with the chaingun ready

Almost every time I died over and over in a spot on hard, I rectified it by just charging straight in to the enemy spawns now that I know them. In that particular scene, I just ran up to where the big boys would be dropping in from the glass ceiling and shot them dead during their landing recovery animation. But yeah, this game is definitely harder than New Order.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

BJ's definitely more fragile now, and it's way too hard to notice when you're getting shot. The courthouse is one of the toughest fights in the game, too. You'll be a proper Terror-Billy once you've got all three contraption upgrades and most of the perks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wolfenstein 2: help my dick is caught in a constriction harness contraption

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm telling you guys, I'll be shocked if Arkane Studios doesn't get their hands on it for Prey 2 or Dishonored 3

For Dishonored they used a fork of idTech5, which had performance problems. Prey used Cryengine and ran like a dream for most folks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Really Pants posted:

BJ's definitely more fragile now, and it's way too hard to notice when you're getting shot. The courthouse is one of the toughest fights in the game, too. You'll be a proper Terror-Billy once you've got all three contraption upgrades and most of the perks.
Yeah. Easiest way to make that fight easier is to immediately book it left or right until you get to a box (supposedly the left side has MP ammo box there so you can just chill there forever) to catch a breather. Once there's a brief gap in the people who are charging you, there are doors to the outer area of the courthouse just over the small wall. There are also lockers with guns, ammo, grenades, and armor. You won't get much of a break there to stock up, but you can grab a lot of stuff there. Then keep moving as much as you can; if you can get to the lockers on the second level there are no real flanking routes and there's a (iirc) mounted Hammergewehr there.

Its a shame about the hit indicator issues, because that fight is so close to being one of my favorites in terms of sheer chaos and always having to keep moving to avoid being swarmed. I would love it if you could actually play into the frantic nature of that fight more by being able to react to a new enemy suddenly appearing. Running gun-battles are so much fun when done right since so many shooters force you into a cat/mouse cover-shooter where moving is death and optimum gameplay is clicking on heads from indestructible cover.

I do think a really neat trick for non-cover FPS games would be to have every hit-scan enemy do a small amount of damage (that triggers a full hit marker) on their first few shots that rapidly increases to normal to give you a second to return fire. Almost like turning the first shot or two into "tracer" rounds that didn't hurt you too much, told you where you were being shot from, and gave you a (very very small) amount of time to respond to whatever is hurting you. Games already do something similar with grenade markers/callouts, laser/scope glints, and heavy-weapon spin-up times, but automatic weapons don't really do that too much. It'd make things easier, sure, but it'd really let you play more aggressively in the early game before your perks, weapons, and armor upgrades start letting you just run around in the open all the time. I don't know, it seems like a decent idea.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Nazzadan posted:

Almost every time I died over and over in a spot on hard, I rectified it by just charging straight in to the enemy spawns now that I know them. In that particular scene, I just ran up to where the big boys would be dropping in from the glass ceiling and shot them dead during their landing recovery animation. But yeah, this game is definitely harder than New Order.

Running and gunning just ends with me getting killed within seconds. Hitscan and no HP does not mix.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You are correct. He would have never in a million years taken his wife's surname. But taking his father-in-law's surname as a step towards getting his hands on his father-in-law's money, that's a whole other bushel of apples.
Yeah, that really makes the most sense to me, he might even have the ulterior motive of wanting to evade some creditors on top. Makes it a bit weird that he'd be so upset about BJ sullying his name though, must really have embraced as time went on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game wants to pretend that it's a run and gun shooter but literally all of it's mechanics lend themselves much better to stealth and slow cover shooting.

It's no DOOM alright.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jack Trades posted:

The game wants to pretend that it's a run and gun shooter but literally all of it's mechanics lend themselves much better to stealth and slow cover shooting.

It's no DOOM alright.

People say this but I've had better luck sprinting like a motherfucker all over the place like a whirling Nazi-murdering dervish while holding the dual-wielding weapon buttons down, at least in the tight-corridor sections. In sections where it's wide open and you're getting attacked from all angles maybe it's a different story.

My usual method: Go into an area with a commander and try to sneak up to him and take him out first. When that fails (it usually does), just wing it and do whatever the gently caress seems right in-the-moment. Eventually I just have a breakthrough point where I murder the poo poo out of everybody by the skin of my teeth, and then usually quicksave because there's no way I'm going to do that twice in a row if I get killed by some unseen Nazi before the next checkpoint.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Are you running the hotfix drivers? I had the exact same problem. BSOD after intro, or just a straight up reboot/hang.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-388.10

I think 388.13 was released but I haven't tried those. Worth a shot in any case.

Jack Trades posted:

It's no DOOM alright.

Here's a hot take, you can actually play it both ways. I've 100% killed all the commanders in stealth. After I do that it's dual wield blasto time. I think I might try to go for near 100% stealth kills in another playthrough.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I died a couple times but the courthouse didn't seem particularly hard to me. I just ran and grabbed that emplaced quad-shotgun and that's all she wrote. :shrug:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Jack Trades posted:

It's no DOOM alright.

Mechanically, the biggest problem with new Wolfenstein feels like it's that it's not Bulletstorm. For being advertised as this brutal ultraviolent shooter with utterly monstrous enemies, it actually plays really slow and cautious, and there isn't really that much variety on how to fight.

Plot wise, I agree that the halfway shift is really weird tonally. Particularly after that long, agonizing, humiliating sequence from the farmhouse on, which was really hard to play through. And I might be projecting, but it feels weird and kind of uncomfortable to have BJ drop almost any hints of his Jewish identity and his constant mournful musings and become a superpowered killing machine constantly spouting Texas-isms once he's been transplanted onto the body of a Nazi supersoldier. I mean, really, game?

I know you're dedicated to the antifa thing, so I don't think it was intentional, but did you not think the optics through?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 31, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

People say this but I've had better luck sprinting like a motherfucker all over the place like a whirling Nazi-murdering dervish while holding the dual-wielding weapon buttons down, at least in the tight-corridor sections. In sections where it's wide open and you're getting attacked from all angles maybe it's a different story.

My usual method: Go into an area with a commander and try to sneak up to him and take him out first. When that fails (it usually does), just wing it and do whatever the gently caress seems right in-the-moment. Eventually I just have a breakthrough point where I murder the poo poo out of everybody by the skin of my teeth, and then usually quicksave because there's no way I'm going to do that twice in a row if I get killed by some unseen Nazi before the next checkpoint.
It gets much easier to do this in the second half of the game. You've got more perks, you've got more ammo, you've got more weapon upgrades, you've got more contraptions (both the walker and shackles help a ton with this), and you've got more shotguns. Simply getting the contraption(s) and their upgrades is a big part of why it starts getting much easier: all of a sudden you've got increased armor pickups (huge) and regen (less huge but good) another close-range stun/damage ability, increased ammo pickups and permanent overheal.

Though again, I played on Do or Die and it might be that the lethality of Death Incarnate is just so high that even with all of the above that this is just unrealistic.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 31, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have found that run-n-gun works as long as you do it in bursts. Not nearly DOOM-killer levels obviously, but dart from point to point murdering Nazis in the way.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm sure it's been said and I'm also sure literally everyone noticed it but the Venus level was so Doom-y I loved it. I went out of my way to not stealth that mission and just run through guns blazing.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Taerkar posted:

I have found that run-n-gun works as long as you do it in bursts. Not nearly DOOM-killer levels obviously, but dart from point to point murdering Nazis in the way.

Could just be I can hit poo poo while moving. The rifle and LKW have really demanding hitboxes for me for some reason :(

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

My usual method: Go into an area with a commander and try to sneak up to him and take him out first. When that fails (it usually does), just wing it and do whatever the gently caress seems right in-the-moment.

Same, except I usually succeed in killing the commanders.

Straight up firefights are generally a bad idea, though, especially dual wielding because you can't hit poo poo, and you get flanked and taken out in 2 seconds. Just like in real life.

Also, what's with people saying the LKW was just a cutting tool in TNO? It was probably your highest DPS weapon in that game, too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

I'm sure it's been said and I'm also sure literally everyone noticed it but the Venus level was so Doom-y I loved it. I went out of my way to not stealth that mission and just run through guns blazing.

I felt it was more quake 2 or 4 with all the murderous robots and general color scheme.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jetrauben posted:

Plot wise, I agree that the halfway shift is really weird tonally. Particularly after that long, agonizing, humiliating sequence from the farmhouse on, which was really hard to play through. And I might be projecting, but it feels weird and kind of uncomfortable to have BJ drop almost any hints of his Jewish identity and his constant mournful musings and become a superpowered killing machine constantly spouting Texas-isms once he's been transplanted onto the body of a Nazi supersoldier. I mean, really, game?

I know you're dedicated to the antifa thing, so I don't think it was intentional, but did you not think the optics through?

You're definitely projecting.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Mordja posted:

I died a couple times but the courthouse didn't seem particularly hard to me. I just ran and grabbed that emplaced quad-shotgun and that's all she wrote. :shrug:

What difficulty? On Bring'em On, I can only take a few bullets before my health goes away, so the first five deaths was me just running around trying to find armor locations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The player hit feedback needs work but the combat is fine, Wolfenstein was never Doom and you had to be cautious because the large majority of enemies were hitscan. RTCW was much more punishing than the MachineGames titles if you tried to run and gun in the open .

Perestroika posted:

Having just gotten through that moment a short while ago, so far it actually works really well for me.

It's true that the first half is a continuation of New Order, but remember how New Order ended. BJ was at the end of his line. He had gone all the way, put in all the effort possible, gone as far as humanly possible and beyond, and had finally finished the mission to kill Deathshead he'd failed at so many years ago. He was utterly finished and fully ready and expecting to die. The beginning of New Colossus is really just an almost unwanted extension on his fading life. BJ was entirely done, both mentally and physically, a dead man walking. All he does in the first half is essentially about sparking new beginnings for people other than himself, fully expecting to never see the results himself.

But then comes the turnabout. First, he meets his father, and finally receives some closure to his childhood. And then, in a way, he also receives the same from his mother. Finally, with all the loose ends tied up, he faces what he'd so long expected his fate to be: Being killed by the Nazis, in the most ostentatious and Nazi-like way possible.

And then, after he "dies", he is essentially born again. He comes back into this world, quite literally a new person. The old BJ was done, he'd fulfilled his mission and paid the price that he'd always expected for it. All the trauma from New Order, the blood, sweat, and tears, they were laid to rest together with the old BJ. And now the new BJ is free to live as he wants, free from those burdens. And in that sense, it feels entirely fitting that the game would take a turn towards a much more upbeat and fantastic tone.

See, I like this theory because it sort of fits into the conversation Tekla* has with BJ in TNO, but the game delves so little into it that it's hard to believe it's intentional. The twist happens and 3 levels later you're watching the ending.

* I'm playing through Fergus' path right now and I'm disappointed she doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone at all. J is namedropped by Wyatt in his.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
RTCW was actually super annoying in places since the enemies were the type that could get shot in the back, turn around and return fire with pinpoint accuracy from 100 meters away in less than a second.

And also gently caress the enforced stealth missions.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

i still wish to play this as doomguy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The problem is not that run-and-gun doesn't work. With the right balance of skill and difficulty setting of course you'll be able to run an gun as much as you want.
The problem is that the game isn't made for runnning and gunning. All of it's mechanics incentivize you to stealth and use cover a bunch.

Officer mechanic, most enemies having hitscan weapons, health regeneration, pickups making you mash E at them or rub your face right into them, etc.

In DOOM, if you're at low health what does the game make you do? It makes you run forward, up towards a demon and break it's face , because that's how you heal.
Meanwhile, in Wolfenstein if you're at low health, what do you do? Run away from the enemies, behind some cover, and look for pickups or wait for health regen to kick in if you're really unlucky.

I'm not saying Wolfenstain 2 is bad, it's still the third best singleplayer fps in the last decade but like I said, it's no DOOM.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you add the scope to the rifle you can run and gun all the time

that thing is stupid good

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For those of you saying you can't tell when you're hitting something I have a few tips.

1) Don't ADS
2) Dual wield.
3) Don't stop shooting until they dead

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
A Wolfenstein game that emphasizes stealth, in a series that has generally had a large stealth component? Why, I never!

(however, there's plenty to gripe about their stealth/sneaking mechanics because while they tried making stealth harder it's still no MGS V in terms of sneaking gameplay and thus you run up against limitations all the time if you want to play quietly)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah as soon as I got the big story spoiler out of the way the best way of approaching anything was AP round assault rifle in one hand, shotgun/LKW in the other, run at stuff till they're dead, doubly so as soon as you get more than one upgrade. You're still at risk of getting shot to death in the back but that's no different than if you try and be careful and everything dies a lot quicker.
That was at one notch above normal maybe if you're playing on the harder difficulties it's different though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Any time you are having trouble being seen, it's probably because they want you to hold down alt and lean around poo poo to throw your hatchets

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-whatever-

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I felt the first game had the same deal as this one:

+++
Amazing art
Great characters
Sweet setpeices

- - -
Somewhat basic gunplay & gunfeel
Monotonous environments
Rudimentary stealth and RPG mechanics

its just the pros are so strong in this one it keeps me playing, although I'm never having quite as much fun as I anticipate actually playing through the levels

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Any time you are having trouble being seen, it's probably because they want you to hold down alt and lean around poo poo to throw your hatchets

How the gently caress does anybody do that reliably though? I physically can't hold down alt while using the WASD keys and also aiming and throwing with the middle mouse button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

How the gently caress does anybody do that reliably though? I physically can't hold down alt while using the WASD keys and also aiming and throwing with the middle mouse button.

use your thumb?