Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

The 2e high level campaign abilities were great at the time though, for sure. They don't seem hard to port across, it'd mostly be adjusting the level/HD numbers, yeah?

The ones that require skill checks are well-suited to be converted to limited-use abilities that recharge on an X-Rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I'm going to complain that nobody's discussing the game instead of interacting with any of the effortposts from the last few pages.

Or if you'd prefer I can write another draft of a class so you can ignore it in favor of complaining about how nobody's talking about modding the game.

I've been interacting with fighter options. I think they work better as a tiered Martial Adept feat rather than limited to one class of fighter, so any martial character can benefit from them and reach the kinds of crazy power around 16th-20th level. Basically spreading Battle Master maneuvers around while still allowing Battle Masters the higher superiority die and the 15th level refresh ability. It looks promising and I'm likely to add it it to my campaign. The arguments for boosting the fighter are persuasive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clusterfuck posted:

I've been interacting with fighter options. I think they work better as a tiered Martial Adept feat rather than limited to one class of fighter, so any martial character can benefit from them and reach the kinds of crazy power around 16th-20th level. Basically spreading Battle Master maneuvers around while still allowing Battle Masters the higher superiority die and the 15th level refresh ability. It looks promising and I'm likely to add it it to my campaign. The arguments for boosting the fighter are persuasive.

Yeah we tend to talk-up the Fighter a lot because they're the most egregious example of class disparity, but anything that's good for the Fighter is also good for the Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian, and Rogue.

Particularly, the Rogue should be capable of the kinds of poo poo you'd see in late-game Dishonored.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Splicer posted:

The flaw in your plan is the posters with the best homebrews and advice are also the ones with the harshest criticisms.

Sure, but perhaps the posts that do nothing but complain about the game and tell people to stop being so stupid could go somewhere else? Just like Monsterenvys unrelenting sycophantic praise isn't much use either.

There's a difference between useful criticism and "LOL THIS IS BAD" being posted ad - infinitum.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think high-level barbarians should be allowed to smack the time-space continuum into submission and teleport to wherever they want. Similarly, rogues should be able to steal abstract concepts or things that aren't there.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

AlphaDog posted:

I'm going to complain that nobody's discussing the game instead of interacting with any of the effortposts from the last few pages.

Or if you'd prefer I can write another draft of a class so you can ignore it in favor of complaining about how nobody's talking about modding the game.

Oh you know they can be read and then people can think "What's the point in commenting because anything said will just be lost in the ongoing hatefest"

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah we tend to talk-up the Fighter a lot because they're the most egregious example of class disparity, but anything that's good for the Fighter is also good for the Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian, and Rogue.

Particularly, the Rogue should be capable of the kinds of poo poo you'd see in late-game Dishonored.

Yes that's right and being a tiered Martial Adept feat any class can benefit, however it works for them.

Serf posted:

I think high-level barbarians should be allowed to smack the time-space continuum into submission and teleport to wherever they want. Similarly, rogues should be able to steal abstract concepts or things that aren't there.

Any DM that doesn't let that happen is a bum.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Oh you know they can be read and then people can think "What's the point in commenting because anything said will just be lost in the ongoing hatefest"

Your sole contribution the last month has been a question then several posts whining about and exaggerating what other people have posted.

Be the change you want to see.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What is the current opinion on the Mystic class from the UA? One of my players wants to play one, which is okay with me, but I want to be sure that I bring the proper opposition to bear if that class brings more power than other established classes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Your sole contribution the last month has been a question then several posts whining about and exaggerating what other people have posted.

Or you could look a bit further back and see that I have contributed answers and suggestions in the past.

The thing is I feel that if I posted anything to the thread that I'd spent effort on you'd all laugh because I did something other than hate the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

clusterfuck posted:

Don't try to fix classes with feats, this is a classic D&D trap.

At level 2 give Fighters a couple of martial power dice as default, no feats required, and give them precise strike and a maneuver based on their fighting style. At level 3 they get another maneuver based on their archetype. Give additional dice when they get an ASI, a new maneuver when they gain a new attack, and gate higher manoeuvres behind "you must have this many attacks to ride".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Another suggestion for fighters is to give them a bunch of combat maneuvers to do at will that don't take dice or anything. This can be accomplished by jacking up their attack score and then letting them opt into a series of stuff at a penalty

Examples of these that would mainly be rolloffs: parries at a +10 to hit bonus , disarms at a -5, or even nonrolloff called shots to arms and legs at a -5 and to head at a -10. That kind of thing, adjust to taste.

so instead of saying "I attack" they could go after specific things nonstop. Especially as they get more attacks - use one to parry the giant's attack, one to try to disarm him , one to power attack him. that kinda jazz

edit: ha just like the guy above me said, just a different route

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Or you could look a bit further back and see that I have contributed answers and suggestions in the past.

The thing is I feel that if I posted anything to the thread that I'd spent effort on you'd all laugh because I did something other than hate the game.

Your own personal unfounded fears are not the thread's fault. MonsterEnvy gets made fun of for being an unbudging koolaid drinker that would sooner shred his dignity than admit anything is wrong with 5e.

Lots of other people contribute, and discuss, and just talk about the game, without throwing this big fit that you've strawmanned up.

Post something you've worked on, if you have. You'll get helpful criticism and advice like anyone else.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Based on the quality of the posts after his reply compared to the quality of posts before it, his was the best contribution in the thread

Serf
May 5, 2011

High-level rangers should have like an army of beasts at their disposal and be on some Green Arrow poo poo with exploding arrows, splitting arrows, crazy ricochet or impossible shots. I think high-level pallies should be able to just straight up become an avatar of their god or belief and wreck poo poo.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SettingSun posted:

What is the current opinion on the Mystic class from the UA? One of my players wants to play one, which is okay with me, but I want to be sure that I bring the proper opposition to bear if that class brings more power than other established classes.

They have a lot of choices to make so power level can vary significantly. An damage optimized mystic is pretty powerful and can do more damage than most other classes in one round

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Splicer posted:

What kind of wizard?

Evocation.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Serf posted:

High-level rangers should have like an army of beasts at their disposal and be on some Green Arrow poo poo with exploding arrows, splitting arrows, crazy ricochet or impossible shots. I think high-level pallies should be able to just straight up become an avatar of their god or belief and wreck poo poo.

Ready for Oath of the Common Man paladin to transform into pure communism, hammer in one hand, sickle in the other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Another suggestion for fighters is to give them a bunch of combat maneuvers to do at will that don't take dice or anything. This can be accomplished by jacking up their attack score and then letting them opt into a series of stuff at a penalty

This is almost exactly what Mike Mearls did in his Book of Iron Might 3.5 supplement.

Applying effects like tripping, causing blindness, reducing ability scores, or making called shots would impose a penalty on the attack roll, and you either sucked it up and assumed you had the attack bonus to spare, or you'd take "drawbacks" to the effect to reduce the penalty.

For example, a Forced Movement effect would impose a -10 penalty to the attack roll.

The Effect-only Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to only deal the effect, no damage.

The Attack of Opportunity Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to trigger an AOO. You could make it reduce the penalty by 10, if you took a further drawback that the attack fails if the AOO hits.

The Full-Round Action Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to require your Full-Round Action to perform.

I don't really consider this a flattering comparison, since all Mearls did was give you the building blocks to reinvent the Core Trip rules:

-20 penalty to inflict a knockdown effect
Attack of Opportunity Drawback to reduce the penalty by 10
Effect-only Drawback to reduce the penalty by 5
Opposed Check Drawback to reduce the penalty by 5

Serf
May 5, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Ready for Oath of the Common Man paladin to transform into pure communism, hammer in one hand, sickle in the other.

i can only get so erect

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Going to write that one down for a future character

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is almost exactly what Mike Mearls did in his Book of Iron Might 3.5 supplement.

Applying effects like tripping, causing blindness, reducing ability scores, or making called shots would impose a penalty on the attack roll, and you either sucked it up and assumed you had the attack bonus to spare, or you'd take "drawbacks" to the effect to reduce the penalty.

For example, a Forced Movement effect would impose a -10 penalty to the attack roll.

The Effect-only Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to only deal the effect, no damage.

The Attack of Opportunity Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to trigger an AOO. You could make it reduce the penalty by 10, if you took a further drawback that the attack fails if the AOO hits.

The Full-Round Action Drawback would reduce the penalty by 5, but would cause the attack to require your Full-Round Action to perform.

I don't really consider this a flattering comparison, since all Mearls did was give you the building blocks to reinvent the Core Trip rules:

-20 penalty to inflict a knockdown effect
Attack of Opportunity Drawback to reduce the penalty by 10
Effect-only Drawback to reduce the penalty by 5
Opposed Check Drawback to reduce the penalty by 5

that's funny, because I was parroting the 2.5e combat and tactics stuff. 2e had fighters get an attack roll increase every level, priests every 2/3s, fighters every 1/2, and wizards every 1/3 so fighters had attack roll to spare to power this

basically against things without super ac , you could choose between near certainty of hitting and doing something more powerful at a risk of it not happening. using superiority dice might be the better way, but I like not having any limits on how often you can do it (I.e. 4 called shots to the head a round or something where you just go all out on one option,)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sion posted:

Evocation.
Spell Sniper. You want to get your int to 20 by level 12, but if you're going Variant Human you might want to look at taking SS and Lucky or SS and Alert.

e: also take find familiar as a spell for owlvantage shenanigans

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 31, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Splicer posted:

Spell Sniper. You want to get your int to 20 by level 12, but if you're going Variant Human you might want to look at taking SS and Lucky or SS and Alert.

I went for tiefling. I have int 18 currently and I've spent the feat or boost at level 4 on getting me to that point. I can get to 8 and get to 20 and 12 can be the feat. Warcaster seems pretty good?

owlvantage?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Battlemaster should have been the core of the fighter class and the subclasses should become built around superiority dice as a resource for doing cool stuff in different flavors.

RIP

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sion posted:

I went for tiefling. I have int 18 currently and I've spent the feat or boost at level 4 on getting me to that point. I can get to 8 and get to 20 and 12 can be the feat. Warcaster seems pretty good?

owlvantage?

I would invest in one feat to boost your Concentration checks, either Resilient (Constitution) or War Caster depending on which you prefer. I like to start with an odd number in Con and take Resilient (Constitution) myself.

mango sentinel posted:

Battlemaster should have been the core of the fighter class and the subclasses should become built around superiority dice as a resource for doing cool stuff in different flavors.

RIP

This would never happen because Mearls insists there must be a "very simple" fighter for people who want to sit at the table but not play the game. It seems to me the entire fighter class has to suffer because the Champion archetype must exist for Mearls' vision. At least, that's the impression I got looking back through the playtest articles and then looking at what we got.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sion posted:

owlvantage?
Are you melee fighting much? If you're booming blade/green flame blade-ing it up in melee then yeah, warcaster's good. If you're mainly keeping back and firing frost bolts then double range + ignoring cover is hard to beat, with a bonus cantrip on top. If you are frontlining you can dip into fighter or something for Shenanigans with spell sniper + a reach weapon + gfb/bb to hit people you're not adjacent to. Run at people, whip them with lightning, then run away and dare then to follow you! But just shooting them from 240 feet away from behind a tree, also good.

If you take an owl familiar you can do this:
1) owl flies in
2) uses assist action to give you advantage on next attack roll against target
3) uses fly by attack to disengage for free and fly straight up
4) you attack with advantage
4) repeat until a monster gets sick of constant owl to the face and blows a bunch of attacks trying to shoot it.

See also: tiny invisible demonvantage

Magil Zeal posted:

I would invest in one feat to boost your Concentration checks, either Resilient (Constitution) or War Caster depending on which you prefer. I like to start with an odd number in Con and take Resilient (Constitution) myself.
Don't need to make con saves if you're too far away to hit!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 31, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I need some help.
Tonight I'm running a new character I haven't had time to flesh out at all. We are running an all goblin campaign for Against the Giants.
I'm playing a goblin Tempest Cleric of Deep Sashelas. Chaotic Neutral Give me a personality and backstory to run with for tonight.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 31, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Any Warlock I build won't go anywhere without their helpful buddy Mr Noodle, a Quasit that humps the head of any creature I'm attacking, while invisible.

:parrot:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Angrymog posted:

Sure, but perhaps the posts that do nothing but complain about the game and tell people to stop being so stupid could go somewhere else? Just like Monsterenvys unrelenting sycophantic praise isn't much use either.

There's a difference between useful criticism and "LOL THIS IS BAD" being posted ad - infinitum.

The thing is, your idea of two threads was given a try a year or two ago. The positive thread died pretty quickly.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I also need a good goblin name

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Mike Mearls

Serf
May 5, 2011

an insult to the good name of goblins

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RC Cola posted:

Gobby Linn (of the Murkswamp Linns).

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

People praising 2E for having fighters that were good - please, no. 2E was better than 3E in this regard, but it was still very much Caster Edition. Good saves and a billion attacks improve the class, but don't save it. A caster can still have Mirror Image, Blur, Stoneskin, etc etc etc up, or have Contingency set up at higher level. Oh yeah and Fly still exists. And, well, 2E had the splatbook treadmill that meant a billion extra spells and classes.

D&D has always given casters more narrative weight, but 2E AD&D and on is when casters really started being able to dictate the game, I think.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

RC Cola posted:

I need some help.
Tonight I'm running a new character I haven't had time to flesh out at all. We are running an all goblin campaign for Against the Giants.
I'm playing a goblin Tempest Cleric of Deep Sashelas. Chaotic Neutral Give me a personality and backstory to run with for tonight.

You are Gayl Zapt the Mad. You and your parents where captured during a failed raid on a human village and sold into slavery. While being shipped to your new owner, the boat was sunk by a storm, which you only survived due to the intervention of dolphins. They helped bring you to a small deserted island, where they helped you survive by bringing you fish. You remained on that island for years, coming to worship the local dolphins as well as the frequent storms that plagued the area. Eventually, your prayers brought you rescue in the form of an eleven boat forced to anchor nearby during the storm. Upon hearing your tale, they brought you to the temple of Deep Sashelas, whose priests trained you despite your hyperactive goblin nature, further unhinged by your time alone on the island.

Adjust to taste and/or campaign setting.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Darwinism posted:

People praising 2E for having fighters that were good - please, no. 2E was better than 3E in this regard, but it was still very much Caster Edition. Good saves and a billion attacks improve the class, but don't save it. A caster can still have Mirror Image, Blur, Stoneskin, etc etc etc up, or have Contingency set up at higher level. Oh yeah and Fly still exists. And, well, 2E had the splatbook treadmill that meant a billion extra spells and classes.

D&D has always given casters more narrative weight, but 2E AD&D and on is when casters really started being able to dictate the game, I think.

I dunno about that. Several hundred soldiers and some levelled sidekicks give you an awful lot of narrative pull.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AlphaDog posted:

I dunno about that. Several hundred soldiers and some levelled sidekicks give you an awful lot of narrative pull.

Yeah I don't like it as a mechanic but having your own personal army and competent minions was pretty strong. I feel like these days if Fighters got sidekicks it would just read "works the same as the Simulacrum spell."

Which version of D&D had a description of a lamp that said "casts light as per the Light spell."

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

That works on a thought experiment level rather than a game table level. I've basically never seen cohorts run as much of anything besides "yeah you have a cool fort and maybe some help now and then but gently caress you Bob I'm not managing army level conflicts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like, 2e wizards were still more powerful then fighters at higher levels, but 2e was still legit the high point for fighters before 4e, at least in the AD&D product line. The AD&D Fighter was mediocre and worse then the paladin and ranger in every way. We all know what the 3e fighter was. And we know what the 5e fighter is, and now I'm remembering that some nerds legit believe in a reverse Star Trek movie kinda thing, and it's hilarious that this matches up perfectly with fighters being good.