Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can you imagine that woman finding out that dude that kept putting those creepy poorly written love letters into her locker is now a famous feminist writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Rothfuss has reviewed hundreds of books on Goodreads, and those that he's bothered to give a star rating are nearly always 5-stars. It really reeks of someone trying to suck up to other authors.

One of his 5-star reviews is for The Giving Tree. He has a couple sentences on how the boy is a selfish little poo poo but, hey, the tree is happy, life lessons are complex, the book is ambiguous for how we are supposed to take it.

One of his 1-star reviews is for another children's book, Eloise. He detests the naughty little girl and goes on for multiple paragraphs on how she's a bitch.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dienes posted:

One of his 5-star reviews is for The Giving Tree. He has a couple sentences on how the boy is a selfish little poo poo but, hey, the tree is happy, life lessons are complex, the book is ambiguous for how we are supposed to take it.
Oh, gently caress this guy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss has reviewed hundreds of books on Goodreads, and those that he's bothered to give a star rating are nearly always 5-stars. It really reeks of someone trying to suck up to other authors.

One of his 1-star reviews is for another children's book, Eloise. He detests the naughty little girl and goes on for multiple paragraphs on how she's a bitch.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooow.

quote:

You know what Eloise reminds me of? She reminds me of a stereotypical American. The sort of American that people believe in over in Germany and Spain and China. She is loud, spoiled, rude, and entitled. 

Also somebody touched the poop.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my hate for rothfuss has become quite personal

i'm going to find him

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

my hate for rothfuss has become quite personal

i'm going to find him

He's the gooniest loving goon. I wonder what his screenname is

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PJOmega posted:

bravest of the lamps

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Pat Rothfuss posted:

Then Sarah looks at me with lust in her eyes and says, “You smell so good. It’s making me stupid.”

To understand her statement, you have to realize that I am the next stage in human evolution. My pheromonic musk is developed to the point where it’s practically a weapon. In the best of circumstances, I smell masculine. And on a day when I’m staying home and have skipped my morning shower…

Well…. suffice to say that you know there’s a man in the house, even if you can’t see me.
:barf:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

Aatrek

A true feminist just like his hero Joss Wheton. :patriot:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I find myself shocked at the lengthy reviews of both books but then he continues his review of Eloise after calling her just a little bitch with more words that just hurt my soul.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A human heart posted:

I don't think the guy who made a stupid rap musical for dumbass rich people is brilliant at music.

Reminder that Miranda rewrote the lyrics to Insane in the Brain to be about Tim Kaine and was convinced this would get people to vote for Clinton.

Just because the Rock and the crab songs in Moana were good doesn't give him a pass. He is extreme trash.

Dienes posted:

It would be hard to suck up to noted dead person Shel Silverstein but I bet Rothfuss would try.

Aside from his creeper double standards, his understanding of literature is extremely mechanical and relies entirely on the surface aspects and rote plot events of everything. Not surprising.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TV Zombie posted:

I find myself shocked at the lengthy reviews of both books but then he continues his review of Eloise after calling her just a little bitch with more words that just hurt my soul.

Male feminist Patrick Rothfuss calls a little girl under the age of 10 a "little bitch."

He's a massive piece of poo poo.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the more i read about him the more i think he's not just a bad writer but an actual repulsive individual

like i'd rather let grrm babysit my kids than rothfuck

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eh, Hamilton was pretty clever and different so I'll give it a pass.

What we should be taking away from the Kingkiller adaptation is that it's entirely new material designed to cash off the franchise and not the actual books, which makes me suspect someone on that team figured out the books were poo poo flavored poo poo in a poo poo sandwich with extra poo poo on the side.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It doesn't matter how the show turns out either. Rothfuss fans and apologists, as well as the legion of people who think Hamilton is awe-inspiring, will hail it as The Show To Watch When GoT Ends regardless.

If we're lucky everyone involved with the project will decide to ham it up, Hercules and Xena style, and we'll end up with another mediocre show like Legend of the Seeker. If we're *really* lucky Rothfuss with throw a fit and demand the show be Game Of Thrones 2: (a beautiful) Game Harder, causing the show to never get produced and Rothfuss to be exposed as the mediocre writer who happened to have a book in the right place at the right time that he is.

But since the show is just based in the world (which lets idiots like Lin-Manuel talk about how wonderful Rothfuss's middle school student D&D campaign-grade worldbuilding is) and lets them actually write stuff, it'll probably get made as long as Rothfuss is just there to get paid more money than he deserves.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What we should be taking away from the Kingkiller adaptation is that it's entirely new material designed to cash off the franchise and not the actual books, which makes me suspect someone on that team figured out the books were poo poo flavored poo poo in a poo poo sandwich with extra poo poo on the side.

I figured it was more along the lines of "Wow, Pat, can't wait to do this show with you! Okay, so let's plan it out. How many seasons do we need? Three? How does this thing end, anyway?" "......." "Right. You have no idea. gently caress it, let's just make it about some bards or something."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Eh, Hamilton was pretty clever and different so I'll give it a pass.

That's wishful thinking, it's actually because there are still plans for a movie series that's a direct adaption.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can you imagine that woman finding out that dude that kept putting those creepy poorly written love letters into her locker is now a famous feminist writer who calls himself a feminist?

Fixed!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

A """famous""" """"""feminist"""""" """"""""""""writer"""""""""""".

On a different note, did anybody watch his monster show about the mothman? Was it any good, or was it as stupid as I figured it would be?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SpacePig posted:

A """famous""" """"""feminist"""""" """"""""""""writer"""""""""""".

On a different note, did anybody watch his monster show about the mothman? Was it any good, or was it as stupid as I figured it would be?

Unfortunately you have to give him famous writer. I was at BN over the weekend and there were two shelves devoted to his two books.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

One of my favorite recent Rothfuss moments was when he went into some bookstore, started signing books by other authors with backhanded compliments, then posted to brag about it on his own Twitter.

I can't seem to Google Image it quickly and I don't use Twitter but the old thread captured the moment: the guy whose book he soiled did not at all look happy to be in the picture.

Maybe it had to do with Rothfuss' masculine musk.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Hammer Bro. posted:

Maybe it had to do with Rothfuss' masculine musk.

Now I'm imagining him furtively scribbling backhanded compliments in books, then, glancing over his shoulder to see if anyone is looking, he takes the dust jacket off the book and carefully rubs it beneath his armpits, making sure his musk fully penetrates the fabric of the cover. He has left his mark. He is pleased.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Now I really wish I had picked up a signed copy of TNOTW at my local BN so I could scribble over the signature myself.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Old thread's discussion starts here.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't matter how the show turns out either. Rothfuss fans and apologists, as well as the legion of people who think Hamilton is awe-inspiring, will hail it as The Show To Watch When GoT Ends regardless.

If we're lucky everyone involved with the project will decide to ham it up, Hercules and Xena style, and we'll end up with another mediocre show like Legend of the Seeker. If we're *really* lucky Rothfuss with throw a fit and demand the show be Game Of Thrones 2: (a beautiful) Game Harder, causing the show to never get produced and Rothfuss to be exposed as the mediocre writer who happened to have a book in the right place at the right time that he is.

But since the show is just based in the world (which lets idiots like Lin-Manuel talk about how wonderful Rothfuss's middle school student D&D campaign-grade worldbuilding is) and lets them actually write stuff, it'll probably get made as long as Rothfuss is just there to get paid more money than he deserves.

Okay but Xena was amazing and if we got something in the style of Xena it would be awesome. (but we won't because Rothfuss is allergic to writing interesting female characters.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TV Zombie posted:

Now I really wish I had picked up a signed copy of TNOTW at my local BN so I could scribble over the signature myself.

If you can get something signed by Rothfuss for cheap, flip that poo poo on eBay. I made like $500 on some books and stuff last year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Reene posted:

Okay but Xena was amazing and if we got something in the style of Xena it would be awesome. (but we won't because Rothfuss is allergic to writing interesting female characters.)

As long as it's Xena pre-Christian resurrection insanity, sure.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Old thread's discussion starts here.

God, I forgot about his writing "Good endings take time" in Lies of Locke Lamora. That's got to be the worst one.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Reene posted:

taking bets to male feminist rothfart whining that the :females: in his tv adaptation are "little bitches"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember when he responded to himself asking himself how many times he's read his own book?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Srice posted:

That's wishful thinking, it's actually because there are still plans for a movie series that's a direct adaption.

What the hell is movie-worthy about this series? It would have to be like the Hunger Games where you could tell whoever was writing the movie was desperately trying to de-stupidify the books.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if only we could have had philip seymour kvotheman

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember when he responded to himself asking himself how many times he's read his own book?

Wait? What? Was this a FAQ for his blog? This makes no sense to do..

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

TV Zombie posted:

Wait? What? Was this a FAQ for his blog? This makes no sense to do..

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/860538593890234371

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

This is a cry for help if I have ever seen one.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was content to believe Rothfart was just a hacky author with delusions of grandeur, but now I'm convinced that he's just a terrible person who just happened to write some mediocre fantasy novels out of his spank material.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I just lurk here, but this is 100% total bullshit. This would mean he has read his own book almost 3 times a month since release.

No idea why but this triggers me harder than any of the other Rothfuss bullshit posted in this thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The only way this isn't the most "what the gently caress bullshit" is if he considers doing writing passes as "reading." For a good author I could see redoing paragraphs a few dozen times, even if it's only editing a few words at a time.

Of course, I don't think Rothfuss' writing regimine is quite so thorough, so what in the ever loving gently caress is this bullshit?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Even jivjov only claims to have read it dozens of times, not hundreds. It's honestly perplexing unless, like you said, he considers writing and proofreading as reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I just lurk here, but this is 100% total bullshit. This would mean he has read his own book almost 3 times a month since release.

No idea why but this triggers me harder than any of the other Rothfuss bullshit posted in this thread.

It bothers you because its masturbatory. Proudly masturbatory.

He also says he's read 200+ books a year from 2011-2014, 149 books in 2015, and a meager 62 books in 2016. This is all on top of the hundreds of re-readings of NotW. To be fair, some are children's books and manga, which would be quicker/easier than a novel, but 2014 he said he read 367, so....

Lightning Lord posted:

It would be hard to suck up to noted dead person Shel Silverstein but I bet Rothfuss would try.

Well, yeah, that's a given. I picked it just for the comparison to his Eloise review. But its pretty obvious elsewhere. He has a whole shelf on GoodReads titled "Books I would blurb" as if its a standing offer.