Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ledgy posted:

Eh. Just like Payday, the base game hasn't suffered a bit from this, and getting a steam cent when you complete a game instead of nothing doesn't hurt. But yeah it does suck a bit on principle I agree

Something KF2 has over KF1 and Payday though is that it's just cosmetics. Even in a PVE game weapon selection matters, and it really sucked in Payday when you had a glock & AR15 and your teammate had an M79 40mm and sniper rifle in the same two slots. Sure, you'd still win alongside your friend but... it's a real fun vacuum when your friend is a deathgod and you've got twin pea-shooters. KF1 wasn't as bad about this, but it could still be a bit obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

it's a real fun vacuum when your friend is a deathgod and you've got twin pea-shooters. KF1 wasn't as bad about this, but it could still be a bit obnoxious.

IIRC KF1 only had cosmetic DLC until very late in its life, when TW was pretty much just cashgrabbing as much as they could to make KF2. For the first 4-5 years it was just character skins as DLC, any patches or weapons and maps were all free updates. But I agree, once they added that community-made weapon pack as official DLC it felt real bad :(

Theta Zero posted:

Anyways we discovered recently that the parry skill makes this particular level of the Descent very, shall we say, vibrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBji-wWK_8

...I never knew the game needed to blast cheesy buttrock whenever you're in Parrymode, but now it very clearly does. I guess now I know what it would take for me to give up Resistance and being able to ignore Sirens and Bloats.

Bogart posted:

im lord mune

How does it feel to be 1/6th responsible for me spamming self-congratulatory gifs and Youtube clips in the thread all week? I hope you're proud of yourself :colbert:

Speaking of, here's a team killing the Pat in about 20 seconds on HoE. I assume we somehow bodyblocked him in that doorway and everybody just magdumped into his head/arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ifRZWxX_s

And some good old-fashioned teabagging, which also happened to sync up with the Iron Maiden track I had on at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP_Eh86nzfw

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I wanted to send some dosh the devs' way with the commando chicken thing, but I didn't 'cuz it's only a stupid suit. Here I was imagining how its personnality would've been.

aniviron posted:

Something KF2 has over KF1 and Payday though is that it's just cosmetics. Even in a PVE game weapon selection matters, and it really sucked in Payday when you had a glock & AR15 and your teammate had an M79 40mm and sniper rifle in the same two slots. Sure, you'd still win alongside your friend but... it's a real fun vacuum when your friend is a deathgod and you've got twin pea-shooters. KF1 wasn't as bad about this, but it could still be a bit obnoxious.

I was about to argue about how PD2's microtransactions with the vaults weren't a big deal, and then I remembered how 90% of its content is DLC. In retrospect, yeah gently caress that

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 27, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'd also say KF has it better with theming. Payday at launch did a really good job selling the idea that you were actually on a bank robbery or heist or whatever, it felt good. Three years on you have RPG-7s and throwing stars and bright pink gun skins, which really erode the feeling of seriousness that was part of what made PD2 fun to begin with. Killing Floor has always been pretty wacky though, probably because it started as a mod. It feels a lot less weird to run around with a chicken suit in KF2 than it does in PD2.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Player power in PD2 is also built on multiple layers of meta-game RNG bullshit which really killed my will to play with some of my friends that are prestige 3 or whatever and have all the good guns and attachments and if I have to grind out one more of Gage's coins for a scope I will die...

Comparatively, Killing Floor 2 has a pretty simple leveling system. It's pretty grindy, but at least a level 5 and 25 can click heads together without the level 5 feeling worthless and dying instantly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

I'd also say KF has it better with theming. Payday at launch did a really good job selling the idea that you were actually on a bank robbery or heist or whatever, it felt good. Three years on you have RPG-7s and throwing stars and bright pink gun skins, which really erode the feeling of seriousness that was part of what made PD2 fun to begin with. Killing Floor has always been pretty wacky though, probably because it started as a mod. It feels a lot less weird to run around with a chicken suit in KF2 than it does in PD2.

Yeah, I agree. Besides the constant DLCs and powercreep they kept putting out, the game's setting and theme becoming a parody of itself just kind of killed my desire to play it.

Whereas Killing Floor is just this perfect inbetween of serious and absurd.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So like... where the flying gently caress do I kill Elite Alphas at. I got that as a daily and it does NOT seem like it's a PVP thing.

Also got "Beat Zed Landing on HELL ON EARTH difficulty". :wtc:

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
The PvP dailies are bugged to hell, you won't get credit for them ever. Elite Alphas are the veiny white ones that hype up the other zeds with their aura. You might not see that move below suicidal, I don't remember.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

widespread posted:

So like... where the flying gently caress do I kill Elite Alphas at. I got that as a daily and it does NOT seem like it's a PVP thing.

Also got "Beat Zed Landing on HELL ON EARTH difficulty". :wtc:

They're only on Suicidal+. There's about five every wave.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

They're only on Suicidal+. There's about five every wave.

Welp, after some mashing my head to the stone, I got the daily done. As it turns out, Solo Suicidal Level 18 Demo is still stuck with money issues.

Or I just don't build it right.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

widespread posted:

Welp, after some mashing my head to the stone, I got the daily done. As it turns out, Solo Suicidal Level 18 Demo is still stuck with money issues.

HX25 -> M79 as fast as possible, then get the RPG-7 when you hit 1500. I use exclusively the left hand side (level 22 atm) though there is a pretty good argument for taking the perk that boosts your splash at the expense of damage, because siren immunity is really not necessary. That said I take siren immunity because when I demo it's usually to make up for the team not having sharpshooters so the RPG's explosion and impact damage is super important against FPs and Skrakes. Never really feel like I have money issues with demo, just don't buy armor early on and ignore the M16, it's a trap. Use your 9mm for clots on the first wave and save your HX25 for when there is a big group, an Alpha clot, or Gorefast/fiend. Should have the M79 within a round or two, depending on what game length you are playing and it's easy sailing from there.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

widespread posted:

Your build shouldn't matter. Use the grenade pistol for the first wave (I don't know about long, I normally stick with short or medium) then buy the grenade launcher since if you've been pulling your weight, you should have enough for that. Fill ammo up for only the grenade launcher and keep the grenade pistol for emergencies, never refill the grenade pistol outside of using an ammo box. Also to save money, the grenade pistol is probably the best gun for gunbutting since it uses the pistol animation but has a weight of I think three blocks, so it does enough damage to destroy clot heads with a melee bash.

Also use your dinky little box cutter knife often because melee is super good in this game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love the M16 as commando - being able to clear out a small group in a panic or drop a grenade directly into the face of a medium Zed is really nice.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah the M16 is a great commando weapon, it's just terrible for demo. The bullets are a distraction that will not help you kill things, the blast radius on the underbarrel pales compared to the M79, and it's twice the cost. For Commando though the bullets work great at killing things and then you get a bonus of grenades.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Is the Commando Chicken not a new character but just a suit?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Revolver Bunker posted:

Yeah it's only a suit. Big bummer.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

Oh goodness no, he was the most popular skin/character in KF1 to the point even I'm considering paying actual money for him.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

So you can just cheat your perks up without getting banned or anything? I assumed that data would be stored serverside by Tripwire.

It's not stored server side since you can play solo and solo perk levels == your online levels.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Yeah the M16 is a great commando weapon, it's just terrible for demo. The bullets are a distraction that will not help you kill things, the blast radius on the underbarrel pales compared to the M79, and it's twice the cost. For Commando though the bullets work great at killing things and then you get a bonus of grenades.

I tried this a couple of times with my Commando, couldn't really make it work. Even with my perk bonuses the clips felt small and it felt less accurate/powerful than my other guns. The medic AR however is still a beast, and with an 80 round clip I can pop heads for days while still keeping ally health topped off.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Takes No Damage posted:

I tried this a couple of times with my Commando, couldn't really make it work. Even with my perk bonuses the clips felt small and it felt less accurate/powerful than my other guns. The medic AR however is still a beast, and with an 80 round clip I can pop heads for days while still keeping ally health topped off.

the M16/M203 is a bad option for all classes (compared to what other weapons you could take) as you see - med AR is an excellent crossperk, and you can pair with the commando AK, which is pretty good in my opinion. Set to full auto and tap fire to get effective semiauto and you're set, better than the SCAR even. And for demo there's no reason to take a mediocre rifle with an extremely mediocre underbarrel when you could just take the M79/RPG.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So is there ever a reason to not have Parry as your third perk? I remember unlocking it and then promptly solosmashing a Normal-difficulty Patty.

I also rebound alt fire to a thumb button since MMB ain't cuttin it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
One thing that took me a while to figure out for the dailies. For the times where Weapon Damage: Knife is requested it actually isn't just any knife. Its specifically the knife perk damage that the Swat and Commando Perks have. Otherwise the damage done doesn't count.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Thank you for posting that! I've been so confused.

Now if only I could find a trick to get VS Dailies to register. Damage as the specified ZED never seems to count.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Did they patch dailies to open the boxes yet?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, I don't really feel like it's worth bothering to do the missions when they're not counting. Would like to have that fixed first.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

They take like 2 minutes on superperktraining! I've gotten 3/5 boxes so far.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

widespread posted:

So is there ever a reason to not have Parry as your third perk? I remember unlocking it and then promptly solosmashing a Normal-difficulty Patty.

The opposite synergy (max hp, flat resist) makes sense when you want to keep the Eviscerator in hand the whole time.

There are no bad perks, some would be bad without at least one other synergistic pick.

Edit: maybe saltier than I meant. Gettin kicked for no armor over here and "bad perks," scrubs.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 31, 2017

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

Parry is sick as heck and turns KF2 into a video game and not a head popping simulator

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I'd like to report that just now, on PS4, I maxed my Dosh Vault meter via Dailies and SUCCESSFULLY obtained a crate.

This is after failing to receive 4 in a row previously via Dailies. Weeklies have always had 100% success rate for me.

I don't know whether this is evidence of a fix in progress or if it was just RNG from the beginning, but it looks like Dailies are back on the menu! A small hope is better than no hope.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've gotten all the dosh vault crates since they implemented them on PS4 so :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

I play berserk in 2 ways: 1) speed based with quick attack and Resist so I can run all over the map smacking everything in sight, or 2) heavy attack burst damage where my 'job' is to Parry and Stun Scrakes and FPs.

For quickplay I've settled on the Pulverizer, it's quick attack is fairly fast and you keep explosive damage for FPs, the only downside is you knock things over a lot instead of killing them outright. If I'm going strong attack/parry then Bonecrusher all the way.

I take health regen and zed-time-move-in-real-time for both, the other 3 I focus on either quick or heavy damage depending on if I want to fight heavies or not. But both ways are fun imo.

edit: Trip report, I've been digging the Seeker 6 lately. The fact that it doesn't get a damage penalty for lock-on makes it a lot more attractive than I originally thought. If you can hang around in the back of your team it's pretty fun to sweep your crosshairs across a group of zeds and pop them all with a single click.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 1, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From the Steam forum:

{TW}zombie mittens posted:

We have just pushed live a required update for clients and servers. This update fixes a case where dosh vault crates were not being properly granted.

While players will not see any missing vault crates returned to them with this update we are committed to rewarding players in the future. We are currently looking at options and the tech hurdles it will take to accomplish this and will message more once we have a firm answer of how this will work.

Once again thank you for your patience, and please let us know if other issues arise.

Can't verify until tonight, but I skipped an objective last night so I'm 50k dosh away from my next 'crate', we'll see if this actually works now.

edit: Still don't understand why they can't back-grant missed crates. Each crate is 500k, so if a player has 3M in their Dosh Vault but only has had 2 crates dropped, just throw 4 more crates into their inventory? I'm assuming it's not that easy but I can't figure out what the tech hurdles might be.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Takes No Damage posted:

edit: Still don't understand why they can't back-grant missed crates. Each crate is 500k, so if a player has 3M in their Dosh Vault but only has had 2 crates dropped, just throw 4 more crates into their inventory? I'm assuming it's not that easy but I can't figure out what the tech hurdles might be.

If they don't have anything that records how many crates a player got, they don't know how many are missing.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

I'm having a hell of a time parrying with the Bonecrusher, drat thing takes up the entire screen. Love the Zweihander, wish there were skins for it!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'm having a hell of a time parrying with the Bonecrusher, drat thing takes up the entire screen. Love the Zweihander, wish there were skins for it!

Apparently the Bonecrusher absorbs more damage on straight blocking instead of parrying. I haven't tested it per se because I don't constantly watch my health bar when trying to parry, but it seemed like my health drained a lot slower when I got the parry bonus and held block over getting the parry bonus and just blocking to parry.

The Bonecrusher has the highest blocking threshold just behind the Eviscerator, so it's really good for just being a wall to big baddies. When you hold it up, you can use the little gaps in the shield to see through.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Do you know if the Parry DR perk applies on the actual parried hit, or if the -40% only applies after a successful parry?

DatonKallandor posted:

If they don't have anything that records how many crates a player got, they don't know how many are missing.

It looks like all Dosh items have a special inventory tag, so Dosh items + unopened Dosh crates = x. Dosh Vault amount / 500k = y. IF x < y THEN ./gimme.free.stuff.bat I'm sure it's more complex than that, but it would be nice if TW would explain that even at a high level instead of just saying 'no missed crates for you.'

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Do you know if the Parry DR perk applies on the actual parried hit, or if the -40% only applies after a successful parry?

You get the DR after you get the first parry, not on the actual hit. With the DR, you can outright take either 1 armor damage or just 0 damage with a parry.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tripwire put up a Survey for the first update of the next year. Vote for the Fireax because I just realized that weapon has been missing from the UT2k4 mod and now the hole left by it is all I can see in the armory.

Oh, also preview of the Survivalist Freeze Gun and the MP5 coming at the end of the year update, I guess?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

M32. Full stop.

And prestige for hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Where is the option for "stop supporting Vs mode, it's bad"