Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

MWLL doubled the medium laser to two tons and it remained a cornerstone gun and powerful when boated, it's that good. Clan ER Medium even more so.

Out of curiosity, how did MWO implement the accuracy penalty on heavy lasers? Longer burn time? I liked that approach in MWLL, felt very elegant (and spread the heat rise out a bit).

HAGs are in MWLL now. The initial design concept was a typical FPS assault rifle, auto fire with growing spread, but CryEngine 2 is balls and can only handle integer spread values so it went from 'pinpoint' to 'cone' too quickly. Ended up as a rapid fire weapon with a low overheat cap and slow cooldown, so you can either burst fire or hold down the trigger and then sweat out the overheat. The HAG40 Daishi is a beast and the high projectile velocity makes it very good against fighters and battle armor. Curious to see how MWO does HAGs if the timeline goes that far.

Judging by the frequency of major MWO updates, you can expect HAGs in about mid 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

johntherussian posted:

Judging by the frequency of major MWO updates, you can expect HAGs in about mid 2019.

Judging by their skill at balancing weapons I hope this weapon never makes it into MWO. It sounds pretty, pretty, gooood.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'll take Plasma Cannons, thanks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, Heavy Gauss is pretty bad in MWO, so they'd find a way.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

I mean, Heavy Gauss is pretty bad in MWO, so they'd find a way.

Jokes on you, HG is hilariously good.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I have a bizzare and what I'm sure is an impossible request, I am looking for the full Fasa Studio intro audio for a thing I'm working on. The faux radio chatter one. I shot an email to Jordan Weisman but I really doubt I'm going to hear back.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

johntherussian posted:

just lmao if you think they're gonna keep working on this poo poo after MW5 comes out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Beet Wagon posted:

just lmao if you think they're gonna keep working on this poo poo after MW5 comes out.

Depends if they can use the same models across both games. I know one's UE4 and one's Cryengine though, so I don't know how feasible that is.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

You think they're going to release MW5 any time soon? :rolleyes:

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 31, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

johntherussian posted:

You think they're going to release MW5 any time soon?

About the same time as Star Citizen.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

Depends if they can use the same models across both games. I know one's UE4 and one's Cryengine though, so I don't know how feasible that is.

You'd have to rerig the models and you'd have to do some degree of remaking the materials for the mechs, but the model itself should be usable, assuming that it meets the standards set for the game's polycount and they're not going to add in any features that have become common since the release of MWO in 2012 (tessellation, etc).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Beet Wagon posted:

You should probably prepare yourself for MWO 2, on the MW5 engine. And good news, you can transfer your account and all progress from the original MWO to MWO 2!*

*for a nominal fee

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So what is the difference, if any, between C-Bill consumables and MC consumables now? According to the descriptions, they are exactly the same now. I keep getting MC Consumables from the event, and I doubt I'll ever use them.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

The Repo Man posted:

So what is the difference, if any, between C-Bill consumables and MC consumables now? According to the descriptions, they are exactly the same now. I keep getting MC Consumables from the event, and I doubt I'll ever use them.

Absolutely no difference. There was never any difference between the MC and the fully skilled versions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the only difference was you had to spend skill points to bring the cbill versions up to the same level as the MC version.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
That's what I thought looking at them. Thanks.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Black Lanner announced: https://mwomercs.com/black-lanner
55-ton Clan Medium Omnimech. Will be interesting to see if PGI raises the Clan scouting limit to 55-tons to allow this mech to participate or if it will be kept at 50-tons.
Some examples of builds you will be able to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/7a8h84/black_lanner_builds_theorycraft/

Looks interesting, not sure if it will be super good or anything but I'll probably pick it up.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
OSIRIS

Love this freakin' mech. Most of that damage is 5 ML and 2 LMG, at least 40 of it is from the rocket launcher

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

has there been a major patch since the mastery tree stuff came out

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

has there been a major patch since the mastery tree stuff came out

They moved the timeline forward and we got a bunch of new weapons. IS mostly got new weapons, Rotary Autocannons, UACs above 5, Light/Heavy Gauss, Light/Snub/Heavy PPCs, Streak SRM4 and 6, LBX2/5/20s and MRMs. Clans got Micro Pulse Lasers, Heavy Lasers, and ATM3/6/9s that do massive damage the closer you are to your target.

With the new timeline they've released two waves of mechs. They're all pretty fun. Except the Cougar. Pretty sure this all came post Skill Tree.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Stringbean posted:

They moved the timeline forward and we got a bunch of new weapons. IS mostly got new weapons, Rotary Autocannons, UACs above 5, Light/Heavy Gauss, Light/Snub/Heavy PPCs, Streak SRM4 and 6, LBX2/5/20s and MRMs. Clans got Micro Pulse Lasers, Heavy Lasers, and ATM3/6/9s that do massive damage the closer you are to your target.

With the new timeline they've released two waves of mechs. They're all pretty fun. Except the Cougar. Pretty sure this all came post Skill Tree.

They even made the Vindicator decent with the introduction of the MRM40 and Heavy PPCs. Try the 1X with an MRM40, 3 MGs and one or two flamers, its great at dueling unsuspecting pubbies as heat generation is really low. It also has great armor quirks, that mech tanks like a 75 ton mech.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pre tech update, the VND-1AA was unironically one of my favorite mediums. It made for an annoyingly difficult to kill mid-range poptart.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

TjyvTompa posted:

Black Lanner announced: https://mwomercs.com/black-lanner
55-ton Clan Medium Omnimech. Will be interesting to see if PGI raises the Clan scouting limit to 55-tons to allow this mech to participate or if it will be kept at 50-tons.
Some examples of builds you will be able to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/7a8h84/black_lanner_builds_theorycraft/

Looks interesting, not sure if it will be super good or anything but I'll probably pick it up.

Is it just me or do the Reinforcement variants not offer anything particularly desireable in terms of Omnipods? Except maybe that 3 Energy Right Arm. Base package + Hero would give you all the Omni variety you could ask for really.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They let you run a more balanced loadout, but no, It's not just you.

Every since the skill tree removed the need for three of any given chassis, mech packs have looked more and more like a lovely value proposition.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Sparq posted:

They even made the Vindicator decent with the introduction of the MRM40 and Heavy PPCs. Try the 1X with an MRM40, 3 MGs and one or two flamers, its great at dueling unsuspecting pubbies as heat generation is really low. It also has great armor quirks, that mech tanks like a 75 ton mech.

I've got the VND-SIB with an Light Engine MRM build, it's made that mech from garbage to actually decent

Great Beer posted:

Pre tech update, the VND-1AA was unironically one of my favorite mediums. It made for an annoyingly difficult to kill mid-range poptart.

I still play my 1AA in the classic loadout. It's still fun as hell.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I have a dumb question that i can't find an answer to easily.

Targeting computers boost 'targeting time', baps boost 'targeting gain time'.

Am I reading this right and the computer is for lockon, and the sensor is for faster hitbox info?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I thought BAP just negated ECM and extended radar range?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

I have a dumb question that i can't find an answer to easily.

Targeting computers boost 'targeting time', baps boost 'targeting gain time'.

Am I reading this right and the computer is for lockon, and the sensor is for faster hitbox info?

Targeting Comps are great for LRM/Streaks, as it helps you acquire a lock faster.
BAP gives you info on enemy mechs faster, in addition to...

BattleTech posted:

I thought BAP just negated ECM and extended radar range?

You can target ECM mechs within 360 meters of yourself, Powered down mechs within 120 meters

But who needs BAPs, when the Opfor will literally give you coordinates of people powered down

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Black Lanner has some extremely silly tabletop art, so I'm always impressed when an artist rescues it from itself

In MWLL the Lanner had some hitbox problems which let it swallow damage, especially splash damage, so it could shrug off an ungodly amount of fire. For a few patches the tryhard scourge was a variant called the Sunny D, with MASC, a bunch of heavy lasers and an ATM-HE - it could run up to just about anything and cook it, then you'd have plenty of time to argue about your glitched cheese mech while you ran away on MASC.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
New map preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTuLAczoP0

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The Black Lanner is dogshit - it has like 13t of free podspace after armor - but its addition to MWO is inevitable because it looks like this.

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a fairly standard Clan omnimech. It just has MASC and way, way too much engine.

Also sometimes it looks like this.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
The real question here is, will you be able to decal up that big laser hardpoint to look like a penis?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

I can already see all the override heat deaths...

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Where do I go for voice to play a few rounds? Nobody in mumble?

edit: https://discord.gg/Nw59stN Found it, thanks!

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 4, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You can try the discord link in the OP, but I dunno if you'll find anyone outside of primetime.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm trying to get back into this game. I used to ride Brawl Atlases with SRMs and ACs, but they just feel super flaccid now. I can unload into a mech for days but then I get insta-cored by something from miles away.

What should I be shooting for, exactly, to actually kill things again?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Clan laser vomit remains the best playstyle for doing tons of damage and racking up kills IMO. This Hellbringer build is stupid good right now. Great alpha, Great Range, Great mobility, Decent armor/hitboxes, ECM, high mounts, its got it all pretty much.

Here's The Beef using it. He's got the Hero variant but you don't need it to do this build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5K_aTV46Wo

Here's some other cbill available lasvom builds in my garage that all kick alot of rear end.

Ebon Jag

Ye olde Timberwolf

Marauder IIc wubs

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 5, 2017

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Office Thug posted:

I'm trying to get back into this game. I used to ride Brawl Atlases with SRMs and ACs, but they just feel super flaccid now. I can unload into a mech for days but then I get insta-cored by something from miles away.

What should I be shooting for, exactly, to actually kill things again?

Try the atlas with uac20 and MRMs. After the acceleration nerf that engine decoupling brought, having more range on the missles works better for me than the traditional goon SRM build.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I put 2lpl, 2erml, and 3 srm6s in the perk atlas L, along with the biggest targeting computer in the game.

It works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Clan laser vomit stuff

Agreed on all counts. If you're getting back into things and want to do well then the HBR, EBJ, and MAD-IIC all offer peak performance at the C-bill level.

• Locked thread