Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Would anyone happen to have a discount coupon for Endless Space 2? Finally getting into more space 4X stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Det_no posted:

Would anyone happen to have a discount coupon for Endless Space 2? Finally getting into more space 4X stuff.

If you sign up for TotalWarAccess they are offering 50% off on Endless space 2 for members until Nov 13th. Though you have to link the total war access account to your steam account.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

I dont know posted:

If you sign up for TotalWarAccess they are offering 50% off on Endless space 2 for members until Nov 13th. Though you have to link the total war access account to your steam account.

Ooooh poo poo so that's where the coupons came from in the first place. Thanks a lot!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HundredBears posted:

He does need to win an election, otherwise he'll have to wait forever to get the political experience to have three scientist laws to run.

I had this thread and the US politics thread open at the same time, and got terribly confused for a moment.

Anyway, regarding the Endless and Lost quest line where you need to orbit beacon systems- am I missing something? The way the quest is written seems to be hyping it as some galaxy-shattering event, but I'm finding it hard to care about the whole thing. Am I insufficiently immersed in Endless Lore, or is there a whole bunch of background info I've missed out on somewhere along the line...?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If someone makes an offer, and the other person makes a counter offer, the second person doesn't get their influence back, right? So they end up paying the influence twice?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
The influence cost of an offer is refunded to the faction that made it if the offer gets rejected outright. I've never seen the AI make a counter-offer, but it probably works the same way.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

I had this thread and the US politics thread open at the same time, and got terribly confused for a moment.

Anyway, regarding the Endless and Lost quest line where you need to orbit beacon systems- am I missing something? The way the quest is written seems to be hyping it as some galaxy-shattering event, but I'm finding it hard to care about the whole thing. Am I insufficiently immersed in Endless Lore, or is there a whole bunch of background info I've missed out on somewhere along the line...?

no, it’s just boring and anticlimactic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've never even gotten past the node part of the academy quest. it takes so long and is such a bother to finish instead of just finishing the game

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Only difference is that you get a second cutscene at the end :effort:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
The Cravers are the only faction I haven't played yet in ES2. In the middle of a game now, and I still can't see how you're supposed to war your way across the galaxy considering happiness issues. When you fully deplete a system, are you supposed to conquer a new system, and evacuate the original inhabitants over to the new one, and repeat? I got my war on and am bigger than I'm used to playing, but I'm finding myself falling back into just rushing an econ victory at this point.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey gang, I haven't played a strategy game in ages, and I feel like coming out of my (turtle) shell and learning how to play more aggressively than I usually do. I'm thinking about finally putting some real time into Endless Legend and/or picking up Endless Space 2 since that 50% coupon is out there, unless I should just wait for a deeper discount and put some time into my woefully underplayed copy of Stellaris to scratch my space itch.

I think I always play so defensively in part because I get bogged down with research and tech and city building since I'm never sure what I should be emphasizing to ensure steady and strong growth. Can anyone recommend me a faction for either/both Legend/Space 2 and give me a few specific early game pointers so I can get a better feel for being more of a bully?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

The Cravers are the only faction I haven't played yet in ES2. In the middle of a game now, and I still can't see how you're supposed to war your way across the galaxy considering happiness issues. When you fully deplete a system, are you supposed to conquer a new system, and evacuate the original inhabitants over to the new one, and repeat?

To handle approval issues, declare war gratuitously to get the most out of the mandatory militarist law. Note that wars with minor factions count for the sake of that law as well, so you generally want to declare war on them on the same turn that you meet them; it's free, and the pirates that they spawn will attack you regardless. Between minors, the one/two majors factions that you're invading at any given time and maybe a few far-away majors that you declare against just for the approval bonus, you can counterbalance the approval penalties for holding quite a few systems. Add in the Us or Them decree (+20 approval per home system that you hold) later in the game, and you should have enough approval to push yourself over the finish line. Alternatively, you can take a break after taking out your first few neighbors, build up your fleets and then take over every remaining home system at once to win a supremacy victory without having to bother with holding too much territory or managing approval.

As for depleting systems, that's something you should mostly avoid. The trick is to grow your non-craver population as much as possible, and as soon as a planet is on the brink of depletion, swap all your cravers to another planet in the system and let the non-cravers work it. You'll end up with a few depleted planets since the cravers have to go somewhere and since you might not build up your non-craver population fast enough to save your first few planets, but this approach should let most of your planets last for the entire game without needing to evacuate systems. Just be sure to take over minors and invade your first major faction very early, in order to have enough non-craver population to pull it off.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Hey gang, I haven't played a strategy game in ages, and I feel like coming out of my (turtle) shell and learning how to play more aggressively than I usually do. I'm thinking about finally putting some real time into Endless Legend and/or picking up Endless Space 2 since that 50% coupon is out there, unless I should just wait for a deeper discount and put some time into my woefully underplayed copy of Stellaris to scratch my space itch.

endless space 2 is real rough. i wouldn’t really recommend it if you already have endless legend and stellaris but haven’t played them much

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Endless Legend can really swallow up your time if you let it. Do you have the expansions? They significantly - radically, in the case of the naval one - alter the way the game plays, and for the better, I think.

If you want to learn to play more aggressively, try playing Cultists. You get your unassailable super fortress capital to scratch that turtling and building-tall itch, and you can rampage roughshod over your enemies without having to worry about managing their cities afterwards (because you razed them to the ground and they are gone now).

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It turns out I have all the DLC but Shifters and Tempest. I've been meaning to get them (and will) but I didn't even remember to look at Steam during the summer sale. Last time I played it was before any of the DLC were out, so I'm basically a blank slate.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Endless Legend can really swallow up your time if you let it. Do you have the expansions? They significantly - radically, in the case of the naval one - alter the way the game plays, and for the better, I think.

If you want to learn to play more aggressively, try playing Cultists. You get your unassailable super fortress capital to scratch that turtling and building-tall itch, and you can rampage roughshod over your enemies without having to worry about managing their cities afterwards (because you razed them to the ground and they are gone now).

The Cultists are, or were (I haven't played in a while), very good. The biggest threat is espionage, because the easiest way to take down the cult is to slip a spy into their single city and use it to drop all of the fortification and take it in one turn.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

The Cultists are, or were (I haven't played in a while), very good. The biggest threat is espionage, because the easiest way to take down the cult is to slip a spy into their single city and use it to drop all of the fortification and take it in one turn.

Yeah as Cultists you should absolutely have some security-boosting upgrades and perform occasional sweeps. Also, if the Forgotten exist anywhere, you should probably destroy them at once.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spanish Matlock posted:

I still dont own Endless Legend (been waiting for it to go on sale for the past like....6 months it feels). I usually hate espionage in these kinds of games - is espionage really that powerful in Endless Legend?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's a particular case of a very gimmicky faction interacting with espionage system in a characteristic way: they're a bad target for minor espionage actions (due to generally high security), but if enemy manages to patiently amass influence for a big hitter of an action that can cripple a city - well, you don't really have backup cities as cultists to fall back on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That particular result requires a spy to be sitting in their base unchallenged for a very, very long time. A higher rank spy can get there faster but will have revealed his presence via the actions needed to level up. Cultists are super-vulnerable to espionage because they have only a single city which paints a huge target on itself.

Normal espionage is stuff like -25/50% industry in the city, getting vision of all their cities, etc. Mix of city-target and mild-empire stuff, and usually you hit a city 2-3 times for low level stuff to rank-up the spy before going for the big lvl5 effects. The spy loses his rank when he moves cities, so maximum value requires revealing him for small stuff, ranking up, and then risk keeping him around as he rapidly climbs to the lvl5 effects. So in order to nail the Cultists, they have to be very very negligent to the ONE thing that screws them, and/or wait literally half the game for the rank1 guy to clandestinely get a lvl5 effect.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah getting to rank 5 literally takes years, especially if you're not playing Forgotten, and the Cultists tend to have high Security anyway. An occasional sweep will reveal and/or injure/capture any infiltrators. The Cultists also tend to find it comparatively easy to get a bunch of surplus heroes, so if they're really feeling paranoid, it's feasible for them to infiltrate other factions and periodically run the action that reveals that faction's spies, just to see if they're trying to get up to any mischief.

All that said, a good Cult player with a strong military will stand a decent chance of repelling an attack even if the fortification sabotage succeeds, because the Cult is extremely prone to having pants-shittingly terrifying heroes and elite troops garrisoned in their capital or wandering around nearby.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 25, 2017

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How can i tell how much influencing elections actually changes things?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

What determines which big parties the smaller political parties will support?

Also I need an answer to this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Is there a good intro or let's play for Endless Legend?

I love the look of the game, but it's incredibly dense on mechanics and systems.

Play the tutorial if you haven't already; I found this guy helpful for understanding the game a while back. It's an old lp but it covers the basics well, you'll probably get the gist in the first video.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The tutorial kinda covers the basics, the rest kinda fell into place for me having played other 4X games. Caveat: You need access to the market&mercenaries tech to purchase a second hero, I did not know that in my first game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Serephina posted:

The tutorial kinda covers the basics, the rest kinda fell into place for me having played other 4X games. Caveat: You need access to the market&mercenaries tech to purchase a second hero, I did not know that in my first game.

The tutorial nor in game tooltips does no cover the cockamamie election mechanic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Elections? We're talking *Legend here, not *Space2

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

The tutorial nor in game tooltips does no cover the cockamamie election mechanic.

Yes it does. I just played the game and there's a section on elections. It mentions the elections multiple times. You're wrong.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Don't click the X on any of the tutorial windows, or that will end the tutorial and not show any further ones (unless they've changed that, I haven't played ES2 in a while). It'll direct you to the election screen eventually and go over most things there. Everything else can be figured out by the mouseover tooltips either there or on the parent screen before them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Yes it does. I just played the game and there's a section on elections. It mentions the elections multiple times. You're wrong.

Then what decides where minor parties give their support and what exact effect influencing elections gives? The tutorial briefly touches on elections without actually explaining the mechanisms.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 29, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Then what decides where minor parties give their support and what exact effect influencing elections gives? The tutorial briefly touches on elections without actually explaining the mechanisms.

When you go to the population details screen, you'll see this wheel.

This wheel determines where minor parties put their support - they will put their votes towards any parties adjacent to them, and will never put votes in parties opposite them. If both parties adjacent to them become major parties, they will attempt to split their vote 50/50, prioritising the more popular party in case it is uneven.

Example: An election has 10 pacifist votes, 2 ecologist votes and 1 for every other party. There are three slots for parties. The militarists put their vote into the industrialists party, and the scientists put their vote into the pacifists. This leaves us at 11 pacifist, 2 ecologist, 2 industrialist and 1 religious. The religious party puts its vote into the ecologist as it can't put them into the militarists and won't truck with industrialists, so the final score is 11 pacifist, 3 ecologist and 2 industrialist.

Example 2: An election has 69 votes, coming out as 33 pacifist, 13 militarist, 11 religious, 7 industrialist, 4 scientist and 1 ecologist. There's only room for two parties, so pacifist and militarist are in the lead. The religious party puts their votes in with the militarists, as do the industrialists, for 31 militarist votes. the scientists and ecologists put their votes in with the pacifists for 38 pacifist votes.

I'm not 100% on what the exact mechanics of election actions are, but they convert votes from the pool of possible voters to the target party depending on the popularity of the target party. Official Support merely adds more votes, I believe. Lobbying and Intimidate convert more votes if the target party is weak, and the others convert more if they are strong.

Note that the pool of voters is based on population at the time of the election but is not directly analogous to the pop's preferred political party - it's based on the pop's reactions to events and how much political support that has generated per system. There's a really good video here that explains some of this.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

There is not enough information to make informed decisions, especially for a competetitive strategy came. Fore example, intimidation increases votes by how much?

If anyone has advanced The United Empire questline where you choose a party to pass laws an then choose scientists, please demonstrate how because I'm convinced that that is impossible and the devs hosed up and I'm the only one complaining about it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's been a while so I don't really remember any of the specifics of it but I managed it not long after release so it's definitely not impossible. :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've done it around three times, usually by setting it to democracy and waiting until Scientist is one of the 3 parties in power.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yes, I've done it the same way; I doubt it's possible without Democracy. It probably helps if you absorb some Sophons or Z'Vali early on to get some more Science votes sloshing around.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't figure out how to even download this Forgotten Love Add-on for EL. If I click 'download' in Steam it just launches the game. If I hit the + button in game, it just opens the same steam page. Wonderful Steam.

I need a real refresher for playing the Allayi, been too long and I've totally forgotten which techs/builds to prioritize, amongst everything else. :v:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They're all already downloaded. Every copy has all three xpacs and dlc so people can play against any version. They are just not unlocked until you pay it in a multiplayer game with someone that bought it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm about to buy Endless Legend. Is any of the DLC kinda must have or should I just get the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Start with the base.