Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Harbough is gonna go from wonderfully quirky to annoying real quick for Michigan fans if there isn't a conference title in the next couple of years.

OTOH, they will give a hell of a lot more leeway to a MICHIGAN MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

I can't say how he was at booster gladhanding, but Strong was pretty great at the media stuff. He seemed nervous at the very beginning, like his introductory press conference, but very quickly developed a relaxed/confident/affable demeanor in front of the cameras. Better than Herman, that's for sure. Strong came across as really genuine most of the time, and he had a countrified charm to him. Herman comes across like an arrogant spergy douche, most likely because he is an arrogant spergy douche. I think Herman will probably end up being more successful than Strong, maybe very successful, but he is not what you would call an "affable" guy. And if he wins, nobody will care.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is mostly all laughably untrue.

Charlie Strong must have been doing something right with the media when you compare the level of sympathy expressed after he was fired compared to what Mac and Butch are receiving after marginally more successful tenures.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

But enough about Herman's success at Ohio State...

Noted transcendent QB talent Cardale Jones

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

lol yeah man gently caress that bitch for not wanting to get harassed by rear end in a top hat strangers

You know that's not what I said. But congrats to you, Disney prince defender of women.

Getting pestered about the performance of the team is part and parcel with being a high profile coach (and, apparently, their spouse). If anyone is out of line, instead of simply annoying/rude (which is what this sounded like), there are ways to address it. Rude fans are not something I condone, but it's bound to happen. Based on my personal experience with grocery shopping in Gainesville, you do get harassed - by drug addicts claiming they need gas money.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

General Dog posted:

Charlie Strong must have been doing something right with the media when you compare the level of sympathy expressed after he was fired compared to what Mac and Butch are receiving after marginally more successful tenures.

This is an extremely good point. MacElwain produced much better results, got asked whether he actually hosed a shark, and is now being gleefully run out on a rail by a fan base that seems unwilling to accept anything lower than Chip Kelly himself.

Meanwhile, a lot of people were really sad to see Charlie Strong go, including myself. I am definitely rooting for Strong and hope he does get another shot at P5 coaching.

I just think that the hate surrounding the SEC has got to be overwhelming from a first person perspective.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/SportsInsights/status/925390402550681603

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Thoguh posted:

Harbough is gonna go from wonderfully quirky to annoying real quick for Michigan fans if there isn't a conference title in the next couple of years.

There were a ton of people defending Brady Hoke when he was fired. Michigan isn't really a 'turn on people fast' kind of fanbase

It's more either turn on them the day they're hired (Rich Rod) or give them a million years of leeway because they're doing it the right way (everyone else)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LLCoolJD posted:

You know that's not what I said. But congrats to you, Disney prince defender of women.

Getting pestered about the performance of the team is part and parcel with being a high profile coach (and, apparently, their spouse). If anyone is out of line, instead of simply annoying/rude (which is what this sounded like), there are ways to address it. Rude fans are not something I condone, but it's bound to happen. Based on my personal experience with grocery shopping in Gainesville, you do get harassed - by drug addicts claiming they need gas money.

You're a loving moron.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

putting a dollar on Tebow

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ehud posted:

putting a dollar on Tebow

Haha how is urban Meyer better odds than Tebow?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Democrazy posted:

This is an extremely good point. MacElwain produced much better results, got asked whether he actually hosed a shark, and is now being gleefully run out on a rail by a fan base that seems unwilling to accept anything lower than Chip Kelly himself.

A) Saying Mac 'produced much better results' is debatable - he won the east on the merits of a defense he didn't build, and only then because the rest of the division was an actual pile of smoldering rubble. He also got badly boatraced by any good team (save the Ole Miss upset with Grier).
B) Our fan base wants the appearance of competence, and there are plenty that will suffice. Some fans at every school are unreasonable--wanting Mac fired for abject mediocrity and no semblance of improvement is far from unreasonable.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 1, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

A) Saying Mac 'produced much better results' is debatable - he won the east on the merits of a defense he didn't build, and only then because the rest of the division was an actual pile of smoldering rubble. He also got badly boatraced by any good team (save the Ole Miss upset with Grier).
B) Our fan base wants the appearance of competence, and there are plenty that will suffice. Some fans at every school are unreasonable--wanting Mac fired for abject mediocrity and no semblance of improvement is far from unreasonable.

Beating LSU last year was a good win. They were a very different team after the Miles firing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Strong missed a bowl game twice in three years, never finished a season with a winning record, and lost to loving Kansas, it's not even remotely debatable that he did way worse at Texas than McElwain did at florida

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea it's pretty objective that Charlie did worse than McElwain all things considered regardless of the inherited circumstances.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Strong missed a bowl game twice in three years, never finished a season with a winning record, and lost to loving Kansas, it's not even remotely debatable that he did way worse at Texas than McElwain did at florida

The W-L column is objectively better, but I'd argue that two trips to Atlanta to get fistfucked by Bama on the merits of winning a division Texas probably would have won isn't an admirable coaching effort, MV.

UF won close and got destroyed by any contending team. Destroyed.

And these scores aren't even as close as they appear.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Where in that post did I say McElwain did well? I think he deserved to get fired. He was just also a lot better than Strong. Strong is probably the worst coach in Texas history.

Texas couldn't finish .500 or beat Kansas, they weren't going to win even a bad East.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

UF won close and got destroyed by any contending team. Destroyed.

And these scores aren't even as close as they appear.
God I miss Auburn having Florida as a second permanent cross-division rival so much.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

God I miss Auburn having Florida as a second permanent cross-division rival so much.

I don't miss Damon Duval breakin our hearts bruh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Texas absolutely would not have won the East. Those Texas teams were dismal.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Texas absolutely would not have won the East. Those Texas teams were dismal.

In 2015:
Scoring Offense: UF 100th, Texas 83rd.
Total Offense: UF 112th, Texas 92nd.
Total Defense: UF 8th, Texas 107th (!!) Wow.

In 2016:
Scoring Offene: UF 107th, Texas 46th
Total Offense: UF 116th, Texas 16th (!!)
Total Defense: UF 5th, Texas 94th

More defensive disparity than I remember, but I'm seeing a whole lot of shittiness on both sides - and UF's defense was rock solid and deep from Muschamp era and well-coached by Collins. That luck is running out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The point of all of this wasn't that Florida didn't suck, or that McElwain didn't deserve to get fired, it's just funny that when Charlie was fired the general response was "aww, Texas didn't even give the poor guy a chance :(" and when Mac was fired everybody was basically "lol, later sharkfucker!"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

General Dog posted:

The point of all of this wasn't that Florida didn't suck, or that McElwain didn't deserve to get fired, it's just funny that when Charlie was fired the general response was "aww, Texas didn't even give the poor guy a chance :(" and when Mac was fired everybody was basically "lol, later sharkfucker!"

To be fair, how many sharks did Charlie gently caress? 0, to the best of my knowledge

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/MichaelWBratton/status/925572351185518592

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The year is 2022, and Tennessee has just spent 60 million dollars to buyout Butch Jones and hire Jon Gruden. They have finished 3rd in the SEC East the past four years...

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

I'm angry thinking about how many of our dumbass fans are going to bite on this.

Obviously Belichick should be our first choice.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Lane Kiffin going back to Tennessee is the result we all must have.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

In 2015:
Scoring Offense: UF 100th, Texas 83rd.
Total Offense: UF 112th, Texas 92nd.
Total Defense: UF 8th, Texas 107th (!!) Wow.

In 2016:
Scoring Offene: UF 107th, Texas 46th
Total Offense: UF 116th, Texas 16th (!!)
Total Defense: UF 5th, Texas 94th

More defensive disparity than I remember, but I'm seeing a whole lot of shittiness on both sides - and UF's defense was rock solid and deep from Muschamp era and well-coached by Collins. That luck is running out.

they lost to kansas

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
If anyone thinks Charlie strong Texas would have won the sec east they should be committed to a hospital

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i would have won the sec east, by myself

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of Kansas, they're gonna get rid of David Beaty soon, right? It's not like that program will ever have expectations, but his current run (3-29) is somehow even worse than Charlie Weis (6-22).

Do they just bring back Mangino and pretend that whole abuse thing never happened?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose Kansas could try to recreate the magic but Mangino has been out of coaching for two years at this point. But hell if I have a better idea of what they should do.

Go after the hottest FCS coach they can find? They'd have to be low man on the totem pole for poaching G5 guys. They just tried the assistant route and while I don't know if Beaty had a real chance of success he's been there long enough to have something to show (other than that Texas win).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mangino has to be in the shittiest of health by now.

Kansas needs to overpay for a proven guy like Les Miles. Sure he won't do LSU well recruiting, but even a pile of 3 stars with a plan is better than what they've got now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Heh, I somehow forgot about this:

quote:

Following the 2016 season, on December 12, Beaty agreed to a contract extension through 2021, with an annual salary of $1.6 million.

So that Texas win got him an extension. He had won two games in two years, against Texas and Rhode Island.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I'm angry thinking about how many of our dumbass fans are going to bite on this.

Obviously Belichick should be our first choice.

I saw this back when it was +300 or whatever and he was still the best odds but he was also at the bottom. Why do they put best odds at the bottom?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Benne posted:

Do they just bring back Mangino and pretend that whole abuse thing never happened?

Fun thing I just learned: They inducted him into their hall of fame at the beginning of the season alongside Aqib Talib

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/mark-mangino-reflects-on-his-complicated-kansas-exit-and-improbable-2007-team/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I suppose Kansas could try to recreate the magic but Mangino has been out of coaching for two years at this point. But hell if I have a better idea of what they should do.

Go after the hottest FCS coach they can find? They'd have to be low man on the totem pole for poaching G5 guys. They just tried the assistant route and while I don't know if Beaty had a real chance of success he's been there long enough to have something to show (other than that Texas win).

LiquidFriend posted:

Mangino has to be in the shittiest of health by now.

Kansas needs to overpay for a proven guy like Les Miles. Sure he won't do LSU well recruiting, but even a pile of 3 stars with a plan is better than what they've got now.

Bo Pelini, get Bo Pelini you retards.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Another thing I just learned: Youngstown State is 3-5

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Bo Pelini, get Bo Pelini you retards.

This would help me hate Kansas even more, so sure.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol why is PJ Fleck up there? He’s not even doing that good at Minnesota in year one. Then again, this program hired Derek Dooley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Why would anyone want Gruden to coach their college football team? I have never understood that.

• Locked thread