Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prefect posted:

This Eli Valley guy sounds like a real poo poo-stirrer. (This is not a criticism.) I looked at some of the pictures of his cartoons, and I would be afraid to read his book in public. He seems like a good guy, though.

Yeah it’s pretty easy to see how his work could be taken as anti-Semitic if you just glanced at it and didn’t know it was by a Jewish guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Crane Fist posted:

I dash out of the room and as you hear my footsteps recede into the distance I yell HEY BILL MURRAY IS ACTUALLY A REAL PIECE OF poo poo

Worshipping Bill Murray has become as lame as obsessing over bacon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What if Bill Murray baked you some bacon cupcakes? Mind blown? Thought so.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You should try making bacon gravy with chicken and waffles. It's like sausage gravy but tweaked just enough.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Consummate Professional posted:

Good ep. the third way sounds like supreme bullshit

That article really was a masterpiece of where we are right now and how much of a total zombie liberal politics is. Third wayism happens when former lefties get some economic advantage and try to square their self interests with their former political views. In parts of the country where inequality basically permanent, this way of thinking has absolutely nothing to offer people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fatherboxx posted:

todd hitler is a massive jealous bitchlord

"Is Todd Hitler Good" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

emdash posted:

Redoit lol

I loving died once I figured out what he meant

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm glad Felix also mispronounces words.
Arbate macht fray.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Amber knows her fate is to live out her golden years as an Appalachian forest witch.
That would explain why she needs a harem of union men, traipsing up to her shack to ask her to show the feeties and/or summon Pumpkinhead.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

"Is Todd Hitler Good" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

the accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Is Todd Hitler Good"... and I'll look down, and whisper "No."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the best people on twitter are permanently mad at podcasts or joke twitter

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
About fifteen minutes into the latest episode, and it's getting bizarre the way they're reacting to the Russia investigation. Why are they "both sides"-ing open collusion between Trump, who they hate, and Putin, who they also hate? Who gives a poo poo if the DNC has done something comparable? Which, by the way, I severely doubt. I'm pretty sure Fox would be shouting to the rooftops about it to try to muddle things as the investigation continues.

So why are they acting like this investigation is partisan garbage? Are they so opposed to the DNC getting the wrong message about the 2016 election from this, which is happening anyway, that they don't want Trump to face consequences for this? I'm genuinely baffled.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
fox is doing exactly that, when they're not screaming about hillary paying for the dossier and giving someone uranium or whatever the gently caress

the dry boys don't care about whether it's partisan, just whether it ultimately has any meaning, which in their opinion it does not. to them it won't shake up the institutions of the govt--it'll still be filled with manaforts and papadopolouses, it won't deter future people from doing manafort/papadopolous/etc type poo poo, it won't change the GOP stranglehold on power that the dems don't really care about breaking or understand how to break

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 31, 2017

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That's what confuses me. In what world is this not mattering? It's a massive black mark on the GOP and the current system as a whole. The rot may have been within America already, but Putin and his oligarch society helped push it past the tipping point, and somehow fighting back against that is inconsequential or doesn't matter? Putin's Russia -IS- the corrupt capitalist madness that they constantly oppose. It's an outgrowth of the same things that they and the DSA are fighting against. How the gently caress does fighting it not matter?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A lovely Reporter posted:

That's what confuses me. In what world is this not mattering? It's a massive black mark on the GOP and the current system as a whole. The rot may have been within America already, but Putin and his oligarch society helped push it past the tipping point, and somehow fighting back against that is inconsequential or doesn't matter? Putin's Russia -IS- the corrupt capitalist madness that they constantly oppose. It's an outgrowth of the same things that they and the DSA are fighting against. How the gently caress does fighting it not matter?

Reagan had like ~120 people around him get indicted. How much did that matter? Literally both sides treat him like a saint these days.

Pinning hopes for the future on the FBI/Mueller seems like a bad idea,.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 31, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because they've lost faith that we're smart enough to generalize from Putin to oligarchs.

If we spend all our time defending against foreign oligarchs just to let local oligarchs do the exact same poo poo it doesn't really matter.

There is a serious chance Trump and friends are just showing the next group of corrupt assholes which mistakes to avoid.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

i'm curious who or what you think is fighting back against this "rot" (seen from another angle, the system functioning as designed to keep the powerful powerful and the wealthy wealthy) that will ultimately have the capacity or desire to make meaningful changes to it

Serf
May 5, 2011

the dry boys are cowards for not embracing the possibilities of the mueller investigation to the fullest. pie-in-the-sky result is that we get the piss tape or something and the american empire collapses under the strain of our collective cognitive dissonance. from there, anything is possible

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

It's only a "massive black mark on the GOP" to you and other people who would never vote for them to begin with. It literally doesn't matter to anyone who votes GOP. There is no punishment for lying or doubling down in politics and they can keep getting away with anything, because they have power.

As for the oligarchs, they do not belong to any country, which is what enables them to so ruthlessly pillage whatever plot of land they can get their hands on. For them, the globalist utopia is real and there are no stakes in anything. There is no such thing as a russian oligarch. They own property all over the world. Their children and spouses don't live in russia (it's usually london). It doesn't matter what an oligarch's native language was or where they were born -- once a person has a certain large amount of money their brains break irreversibly and they become irredeemable inhuman monsters if they weren't already. This is why "foreign" oligarchs being involved isn't notable and doesn't somehow warrant more attention than patriotic all-american homegrown rot.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
RUSSIA!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Zhulik posted:

It's only a "massive black mark on the GOP" to you and other people who would never vote for them to begin with. It literally doesn't matter to anyone who votes GOP. There is no punishment for lying or doubling down in politics and they can keep getting away with anything, because they have power.

As for the oligarchs, they do not belong to any country, which is what enables them to so ruthlessly pillage whatever plot of land they can get their hands on. For them, the globalist utopia is real and there are no stakes in anything. There is no such thing as a russian oligarch. They own property all over the world. Their children and spouses don't live in russia (it's usually london). It doesn't matter what an oligarch's native language was or where they were born -- once a person has a certain large amount of money their brains break irreversibly and they become irredeemable inhuman monsters if they weren't already. This is why "foreign" oligarchs being involved isn't notable and doesn't somehow warrant more attention than patriotic all-american homegrown rot.

"Anyone who votes GOP" is a continually shrinking demographic precisely because of this sort of thing. But sure, I guess it's better to preemptively give up for some reason.

And if foreign interference doesn't matter, then what's the point of elections? If you can just get outside help to override the decisions of a population, then why bother having elections at all? Should we just give in and let the Republicans and their allies do whatever they want, because apparently you think they've already won?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Good idea

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

"Anyone who votes GOP" is a continually shrinking demographic precisely because of this sort of thing. But sure, I guess it's better to preemptively give up for some reason.

And if foreign interference doesn't matter, then what's the point of elections? If you can just get outside help to override the decisions of a population, then why bother having elections at all? Should we just give in and let the Republicans and their allies do whatever they want, because apparently you think they've already won?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HC2LI0

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

you seem to be directly accusing people here of giving up, so i'm curious what you think we should be doing instead. posting online? voting? canvassing w/DSA? i'm a bit confused what your goalposts are

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Giving up is willingly enabling the people who do harm. Apathy is surrender. gently caress you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Giving up is willingly enabling the people who do harm. Apathy is surrender. gently caress you.

who is giving up

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

emdash posted:

you seem to be directly accusing people here of giving up, so i'm curious what you think we should be doing instead. posting online? voting? canvassing w/DSA? i'm a bit confused what your goalposts are

Absolutely that, but in particular not telling people to stop hoping and caring. Being happy when things happen that hurt bad people. Appreciating and advocating for engagement and caring about things.

Edit: Things matter, and that includes good things. The investigation is good and acting like it's inconsequential is advocating for apathy, and it hurt to hear them doing that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Absolutely that, but in particular not telling people to stop hoping and caring. Being happy when things happen that hurt bad people. Appreciating and advocating for engagement and caring about things.

you should come to the trump thread in c-spam. there are people who need your help

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

This is a shameful meltdown lol, please go cry in D&D.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

That's a very interesting reading of my post, I never thought about it this way.

No, "we" do not have to "just give in and let the Republicans and their allies do whatever they want", the democrats are handling that just fine without our help. Even then, I will never give up, log off or otherwise stop posting.

I agree that it's extremely hosed up that an incomprehensibly tiny minority of people with all the money in the world have overridden the decisions of a population. It's even more super hosed up that this has never happened before anywhere in the world (especially not here!), before that dastardly putin character kremlin'd all over the beautiful american democracy. This is a new thing and I don't understand why internet podcast irony men aren't taking this sudden and unprecedented threat of faceless monsters made of money controlling everything more seriously.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

GalacticAcid posted:

This is a shameful meltdown lol, please go cry in D&D.

This is what I'm talking about. The rest of you are having good and constructive and well-meaning reactions, but people like this are what I'm arguing against. Don't enable this sort of rear end in a top hat.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm mMad at the pod cast and the forums user.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is what I'm talking about. The rest of you are having good and constructive and well-meaning reactions, but people like this are what I'm arguing against. Don't enable this sort of rear end in a top hat.

someone's not reading the posts

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
no one here in the irony podcast thread actually doesn't care about things. Nor do the dry boys actually not care about things; see every felix rant about sincerity. But for me I'll believe that Mueller has a positive impact when I see it. I don't think I or the irony podcast hosts have a role in making sure that he has an impact

The whole problem with pinning our hopes on this kind of solution to the Trump problem is that the players aren't accountable to anyone

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Zhulik posted:

I agree that it's extremely hosed up that an incomprehensibly tiny minority of people with all the money in the world have overridden the decisions of a population. It's even more super hosed up that this has never happened before anywhere in the world (especially not here!), before that dastardly putin character kremlin'd all over the beautiful american democracy. This is a new thing and I don't understand why internet podcast irony men aren't taking this sudden and unprecedented threat of faceless monsters made of money controlling everything more seriously.

Putin is the same type of person as them. Him being foreign doesn't mean he matters less. Of course the American people doing the same garbage, who are deeply embedded in both parties, are equally responsible and culpable. But they've normalized themselves, and get excused for things by those in power. But by attacking what Putin's doing, it could potentially lead to attacking what they're doing as well. Neither of them excuse the other, and opposing what happened with Putin and Trump could be the key to getting people to understand it's not okay when we do it either, and lead to them opposing the equivalent power structures at home.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nah, you're being an obtuse moron.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Putin is the same type of person as them. Him being foreign doesn't mean he matters less. Of course the American people deeply embedded in both parties are responsible and culpable. Neither of them excuse the other.

that's not what the post is saying

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what in god's name do you think this investigation will find out, exactly, that putin himself hacked voting booths?
are you expecting some national scales-falling-off-the-eyes-tier event? cause in the 70s a republican president's goons broke into the democrats' HQ and 6 measly years later a republican got elected to the presidency again.
it won't do poo poo, it will only be used by establishment dems as a convenient scapegoat for losing the election and a reason why they don't have to change into an actual left-of-center party instead of a make-a-wish foundation for their donors

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That Trump and his campaign knowingly accepted foreign help to win an election. Even if they never face consequences, it would further delegitimize him and lead to the administration being able to do less harm.

Serf
May 5, 2011

That Trump and his campaign knowingly accepted foreign help to win an election. Even if they never face consequences, it would further delegitimize him and lead to the administration being able to do less harm.

see this would be cool, but not just trump. everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
*a faceless man in an impossibly expensive suit unaccountably presses a button labeled "influence election". satisfied, he gazes out the window upon an american flag waving proudly from a nearby building.*
woke, polically responsible citizen: this is good. it is justice. it is beauty. nay, this is DEMOCRACY

*a faceless man in an impossibly expensive suit motions to his ushanka-wearing grim-faced goons. they begin shoveling dark money into a furnace labeled "elections". he smiles dastardly as he strokes his gold-plated balalaika*
concerned citizen, eyes aglow with righteous rage: THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED! WHY WON'T THE IRONY MEN HOLD THIS MONSTER ACCOUNTABLE?!