Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Oh it’s the annual “we said we wanted a playoff and now we have one but now we want a bigger playoff” conversation.

Here’s the best solution: have a conference title game. You win the game you make the playoffs, even if you won the conference title game and have a 6-5 overall record.

P5 and three at large for the G5.

People will still bitch but hey, people always bitch.

I want a playoff that has god honest criteria to get into, like every other playoff system in the world

Not another bloody opinion poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would be stunned if UGA isn't 1. It'll probably be like 1)UGA, 2)Bama, 3)Wisconsin, and then OU, OSU, or ND at 4, which people will spend the next week freaking out about even though the early ranking has never mattered

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
I don't get the Bama schedule talk unless the point is to say Bama doesn't have enough there to absorb a loss to Georgia and still get a playoff spot.

Comparing their AP top 25 wins to Wisconsin toward the disingenuous idea that there is no available info to suggest Bama is better than them is silly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I don't get the Bama schedule talk unless the point is to say Bama doesn't have enough there to absorb a loss to Georgia and still get a playoff spot.

Comparing their AP top 25 wins to Wisconsin toward the disingenuous idea that there is no available info to suggest Bama is better than them is silly.

I don't think it means Bama is bad I just think it's funny no one brings it up

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

I would be stunned if UGA isn't 1. It'll probably be like 1)UGA, 2)Bama, 3)Wisconsin, and then OU, OSU, or ND at 4, which people will spend the next week freaking out about even though the early ranking has never mattered

I’m looking forward to the weeks of “who should be number 4” arguments when only the last ranking has any meaning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want a playoff that has god honest criteria to get into, like every other playoff system in the world

Not another bloody opinion poll

This.

MourningView posted:

Like hell Bucky is getting 3rd. They'll put OSU above us even if they have a loss.

(I reserve the right to be wrong)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

I don't think it means Bama is bad I just think it's funny no one brings it up

The reason no one brings it up is because everyone has bought into the narrative that the SEC is the toughest conference when in reality it's just the Big Ten with a different coat of paint. You have the top team, challengers du jour, and everyone else. Occasionally one of the challengers will knock off the top, but it doesn't last long.

That's how most conferences are, really.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

iospace posted:

The reason no one brings it up is because everyone has bought into the narrative that the SEC is the toughest conference when in reality it's just the Big Ten with a different coat of paint. You have the top team, challengers du jour, and everyone else. Occasionally one of the challengers will knock off the top, but it doesn't last long.

That's how most conferences are, really.

I don’t think anyone serious has thought the SEC is the toughest conference for years now. It was the case (in my opinion) back in, like, 2009 at the latest, but once coach firings started happening, it’s been mediocre at best. I think the big 12 is probably the generally toughest conference this year, followed by the ACC.

The big 10 and the SEC suffer from the same problem imo: unbalanced top end teams that all the rest destroy their development chasing. No one wants to be good-but-not-best and end up hurting themselves to that end.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

This.

Like hell Bucky is getting 3rd. They'll put OSU above us even if they have a loss.

(I reserve the right to be wrong)

They tend to give the benefit of the doubt to undefeated P5 teams. 2015 Iowa caused everyone to have a collective existential meltdown and got way more poo poo for their schedule than Wisconsin has, and they still got all the way up to like number 2. If Wisconsin keeps winning they're fine, even though I think there are a couple 1 loss teams who are probably better (including OSU)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm trying to think of any permutation of results that could get Washington in at 4 and lol never mind I still can't believe we loving lost to ASU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MourningView posted:

I appreciate you presenting this as though you are the first person to ever think of it

You could say this about any post regarding the playoff since it gets rehashed annually.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I love having that Thomas Brown hasn't been a coach long enough to not give the truth in interviews. He called out the entire offense and coaching staff for our performance against UNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqA-FGTaWbc

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Mike Leach summed it up best this season when pointing out that every other level of football has multi round tournaments with conference championship and wildcards so the notion that FBS can't for reasons is utterly ridiculous.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think Alabama gets #1 just due to inertia or benefit of the doubt or whatever you want to call it even if UGA does have a bit better of a schedule

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Neil Armbong posted:

Mike Leach summed it up best this season when pointing out that every other level of football has multi round tournaments with conference championship and wildcards so the notion that FBS can't for reasons is utterly ridiculous.

Mike Leach is being stupid.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think Alabama gets #1 just due to inertia or benefit of the doubt or whatever you want to call it even if UGA does have a bit better of a schedule

Early rankings are early rankings. Wiscy and OSU will play for it, as will UGA and Bama. Committee putting in OSU last year was a mistake, and they've probably learned to let conference championships sort it out.

If UGA deserves the 1 spot due to having a win over ND and crushing most of the SEC, then they can win out and secure that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm officially going to the Wisconsin - Iowa game. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do? We're staying at the Madison Hill Inn right off the square which is a good location I'm told and we've got pretty good seats, even though they're in the visitors section, I'm being made to wear red. I feel so dirty already.

The only thing I would add to what the other posters said is that if you want to have a nicer dinner one of the days you're there is to make the hike the other direction from the stadium up to Pig in a Fur Coat.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mike Leach is being stupid.

What's different about FBS that they can't have longer tournaments like high school, FCS/Division II/etc, and the NFL?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neil Armbong posted:

What's different about FBS that they can't have longer tournaments like high school, FCS/Division II/etc, and the NFL?

THE SANCTITY OF MAH BOWLS :byodood:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

The only thing I would add to what the other posters said is that if you want to have a nicer dinner one of the days you're there is to make the hike the other direction from the stadium up to Pig in a Fur Coat.

Thanks, I think this would be good for Friday night

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
In honor of Bedlam week I just want to encourage all of you to disrespect a Sooner and enjoy this collection of bedlam gifs:

Kick it again!

Watch your step!

The new "Statue of Liberty" play!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
bowls are dope

Also if you're gonna keep adding games pay the dang players

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

In honor of Bedlam week I just want to encourage all of you to disrespect a Sooner and enjoy this collection of bedlam gifs:

Kick it again!

I wonder what it's like to be a college athlete and thinking you're fast and then have that happen to you. God drat

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

In honor of Bedlam week I just want to encourage all of you to disrespect a Sooner

k.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Watch your step!

this dude is very lucky he failed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serious talk here, part of why FBS hasn't moved to a larger, more objective playoff system is a combo of the following:

1. Tradition ("it's how it's always been done!")
2. Bowl ratings, even if it's two G5 6-6 teams.
3. "we play too many games already"
4. <INSERT REASON HERE>

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Serious talk here, part of why FBS hasn't moved to a larger, more objective playoff system is a combo of the following:

1. Tradition ("it's how it's always been done!")
3. "we play too many games already"
4. <INSERT REASON HERE>

Switch one and two. One is only used as an excuse to not outright use #2. If they figured out that a playoff would make them more money they'd switch in a heartbeat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

iospace posted:

Bowls do own, even between two 6-6 G5 teams and even if you went to a 16 team playoff most schools would never have a chance but they do have a chance at reaching 6-6 and going to a lovely bowl.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoguh posted:

Bowls do own, even between two 6-6 G5 teams and even if you went to a 16 team playoff most schools would never have a chance but they do have a chance at reaching 6-6 and going to a lovely bowl.

The problem is that most people act like the bowls and the playoffs are mutually exclusive. Why should they be? Don't make the playoffs, go to a bowl. Simple.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Bowls are a really cool showcase of non-conference match-ups that teams are often too afraid to schedule.

Though now with NFL talent not wanting to injure themselves, it isn't always a full marquee showcase, but they are fun.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Chump Farts posted:

Early rankings are early rankings. Wiscy and OSU will play for it, as will UGA and Bama. Committee putting in OSU last year was a mistake, and they've probably learned to let conference championships sort it out.

If UGA deserves the 1 spot due to having a win over ND and crushing most of the SEC, then they can win out and secure that.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm not trying to really lobby my case from my armchair why UGA should be ranked over Alabama. I feel like even if UGA came lower, if they win out and beat Alabama, they're in. No arguments there.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

As the season stands right now, UGA should be over Alabama but if they both win out, it’ll sort itself out, so it doesn’t matter too much.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

FBS college football is better than every other level of football though

I think 8 teams would be ideal, but I'd rather stay at 4 than risk going to 12 or 16, because at that point the sport is basically ruined.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

General Dog posted:

That's not because of its postseason set-up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

General Dog posted:

I think 8 teams would be ideal, but I'd rather stay at 4 than risk going to 12 or 16, because at that point the sport is basically ruined.

I've never agreed with a General Dog post before.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Emron posted:

As the season stands right now, UGA should be over Alabama but if they both win out, it’ll sort itself out, so it doesn’t matter too much.

Right, it only matters right now in the sense that if Bama is #1 then that indicates a lot about how this committee is weighting the "who do I think would win if these two teams played right now" test vs resume and quality wins.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Really though if Iowa State isnt #4 this is a garbage poll and should be jettisoned from existence

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

Really though if Iowa State isnt #4 this is a garbage poll and should be jettisoned from existence

I ran the numbers and the math does check out.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’m pretty sure when the ratings come out you’ll be able to say that ISU has beaten as many top 25 teams as anyone in the top 4, maybe even top 2 combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Emron posted:

I’m pretty sure when the ratings come out you’ll be able to say that ISU has beaten as many top 25 teams as anyone in the top 4, maybe even top 2 combined.

And in a reversal of fortune, losses to Texas and Iowa spoil their resume :smuggo:

• Locked thread