Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its one of those things where I love games, and I love reading, but I could never imagine reading about a game

Like, I saw a Mass Effect novel once and was like "Wow, I cannot imagine ever wanting to read this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Funny you should mention that because an author I legit like has a Mass Effect novel coming out soon. Catherynne Valente.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its one of those things where I love games, and I love reading, but I could never imagine reading about a game

Like, I saw a Mass Effect novel once and was like "Wow, I cannot imagine ever wanting to read this"

Then you missed a riveting read about one guy pissing in another guy's potted plants.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i loved the Halo novels when I was 13, which is the only age at which you should be reading video game tie in novels

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i loved the Halo novels when I was 13, which is the only age at which you should be reading video game tie in novels

I'd talk poo poo but I was reading Piers Anthony so you win

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Video game novels are generally generic genre fiction but if you know what they're based on, you know exactly what flavor of genre fiction you're in for. And sometimes I want to read terrible Shadowrun fiction - it's like having a bag of doritos

Not every book you read has to be good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I respectfully and explicitly disagree

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fair 'nuff!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

Funny you should mention that because an author I legit like has a Mass Effect novel coming out soon. Catherynne Valente.
What.
Was she in a "payment or kneecaps" situation?

I mean, Peter Watts wrote a Crysis book but this is... A level further, I guess.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 31, 2017

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Video game novels are generally generic genre fiction but if you know what they're based on, you know exactly what flavor of genre fiction you're in for. And sometimes I want to read terrible Shadowrun fiction - it's like having a bag of doritos

The junk food analogy never works, because good books are good for you and they taste good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I genuinely believe the greatest tragedy of human existence is that there are too many good books to read in one lifetime

Alaan
May 24, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

What.
Was she in a "payment or kneecaps" situation?

I mean, Peter Watts wrote a Crysis book but this is... A level further, I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/9781785651588-Books/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3A9781785651588

https://twitter.com/catvalente/status/923633667267858433

I got nothin’

E: I definitely went WAIT WHAT when I saw that through her twitter feed.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 31, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone be upset that the fantasy/fairy tale writer is now writing a sci-fi novel? Sure, it's Mass Effect, but everyone who plays video games has played a Mass Effect, and there's enough material there to do her own story.

I'm not going to read it, but why would anyone give a poo poo? It seems like a win for everyone involved.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

To me it’s more weird that an author that had her own series and several stand alone books is doing a commercial property tie in. If it makes her happy and/or buckets of cash go hog wild though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am surprised there is a Mass Effect book

I thought they took that franchise out back and shot it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

To me it’s more weird that an author that had her own series and several stand alone books is doing a commercial property tie in. If it makes her happy and/or buckets of cash go hog wild though.

What's weird about it? She had enough ideas and interest to tell a story within an established framework. The fact that it has a strong fan-base in addition to her own, plus a contract offering her money, seems like further incentive.

It's like when people freaked out that Ta Nehisi Coates wrote Black Panther comics for Marvel. If they have a story to tell, and it could make comics better, bring more attention to their other writings, and give them a new way to explore their ideas, no one loses. Not liking it is up to the individual, but that's not really anyone else's problem.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am surprised there is a Mass Effect book

I thought they took that franchise out back and shot it

That makes more sense, but it's again not surprising. They still make WoW books, Halo books, Star Wars books, etc. People like their nerd poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

It's like when people freaked out that Ta Nehisi Coates wrote Black Panther comics for Marvel. If they have a story to tell, and it could make comics better, bring more attention to their other writings, and give them a new way to explore their ideas, no one loses. Not liking it is up to the individual, but that's not really anyone else's problem.

The people who freaked out about Coates doing Black Panther was hilarious. Dude is an uber nerd. He once went on a two day tweet storm about replaying Icewind Dale 2.

If anything, Coates being open about nerdiness is one of the things that motivated me to be less stuck up about the things I enjoy, and realize being an intellectual or academic isn't about only following certain forms of media.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The weird thing about it is that an author who has the creativity to invent her own lucrative IP is willing to work in someone else's. BUt maybe she really likes the Mass Effect IP for whatever reason.

Coates wrting Black Panther makes perfect sense because he's not known for creative writing, and it's an IP that he's passionate about and that he has ideas for and so forth. But Valente writing in a branded IP is closer to Stan Lee deciding to write a comic for DC. Like, maybe he just really wants to do a batman comic, sure, go for it, nothing wrong with it, but why isn't he writing the same thing for Marvel and keeping creative control and the rights for himself?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The weird thing about it is that an author who has the creativity to invent her own lucrative IP is willing to work in someone else's. BUt maybe she really likes the Mass Effect IP for whatever reason.

Coates wrting Black Panther makes perfect sense because he's not known for creative writing, and it's an IP that he's passionate about and that he has ideas for and so forth. But Valente writing in a branded IP is closer to Stan Lee deciding to write a comic for DC. Like, maybe he just really wants to do a batman comic, sure, go for it, nothing wrong with it, but why isn't he writing the same thing for Marvel and keeping creative control and the rights for himself?

maybe she wanted a stress free environment? I imagine writing a video game franchise novel is pretty easy since its more or less the absolute bottom of the barrel. Not like you need to labor over the flow of your prose in a Mass Effect book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Authors, especially ones that are already established, make a loving killing working on tie-in books. Writing critically-acclaimed, award-winning books is great, but sometimes you just want a nice, fat paycheck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

maybe she wanted a stress free environment? I imagine writing a video game franchise novel is pretty easy since its more or less the absolute bottom of the barrel. Not like you need to labor over the flow of your prose in a Mass Effect book.

Sure, but you can do that on your own anyway. Like, take Roger Zelazny's corpus. There are very very clear dividing lines in his work between his experimental, award-contender books and his paycheck pulp (compare Lord of Light and anything with Amber in the title). But he still kept the rights to the Amber novels and I still see them selling in bookstores so his kids are still making bank off them even today.

I guess tie-in stuff is a bigger industry now than it was then and that's the real explanation. Maybe Valente was able to get a good contract where she gets residual payments on an ongoing basis.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The people who freaked out about Coates doing Black Panther was hilarious. Dude is an uber nerd. He once went on a two day tweet storm about replaying Icewind Dale 2.

If anything, Coates being open about nerdiness is one of the things that motivated me to be less stuck up about the things I enjoy, and realize being an intellectual or academic isn't about only following certain forms of media.

That's what's made you nicer this past year? Huh. I thought you finally started smoking weed or something.

Ornamented Death posted:

Authors, especially ones that are already established, make a loving killing working on tie-in books. Writing critically-acclaimed, award-winning books is great, but sometimes you just want a nice, fat paycheck.

Yeah. And again: she now gets all the Mass Effect fans who've never heard of her reading her stuff. If they like it, they'll presumably look into her bibliography and read other books.

Plus, there's no way she wrote the book without a decent advance. Authors still need money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

That's what's made you nicer this past year? Huh. I thought you finally started smoking weed or something.

Nah, Coates. If one of the great geniuses of our age can simultaneously like Faulkner and Marvel, its simply pretension to imagine intellectual seriousness is determined by what you like.

EDIT: That being said, its not like I still don't roll my eyes at Malazan or some poo poo. A book still has to be GOOD, I am just far less concerned with the genre of it.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 31, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sure, but you can do that on your own anyway. Like, take Roger Zelazny's corpus. There are very very clear dividing lines in his work between his experimental, award-contender books and his paycheck pulp (compare Lord of Light and anything with Amber in the title). But he still kept the rights to the Amber novels and I still see them selling in bookstores so his kids are still making bank off them even today.

Amber is also the only universe Zelazny didn't want to let anyone else write in, apparently, so it had a special place in his heart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah, Coates. If one of the great geniuses of our age can simultaneously like Faulkner and Marvel, its simply pretension to imagine intellectual seriousness is determined by what you like.

EDIT: That being said, its not like I still don't roll my eyes at Malazan or some poo poo. A book still has to be GOOD, I am just far less concerned with the genre of it.

No, I getcha. I had a moment where I decided that being pretentious about something is ostracizing; no one's really going to embrace the discussion, the opinions, or the material, and it's just easier being chill about things I dislike and the people that enjoy them instead of looking down at everyone. There's something good in each genre, even if I'm not willing to read/watch it myself, but being a dick just means people are less likely to give something I consider Great a chance. I still grit my teeth at my book club at half the suggestions, but then I got everyone to read Lincoln in the Bardo, so it evens out.

It took me much longer to learn to avoid any TBB discussions about neuroplasticity and language development skills, because I don't really know or care that much about it and it's always a trainwreck.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Brian Evenson wrote two Dead Space tie-ins and the novel version of The Lords of Salem, the Rob Zombie movie, which I don't know why anyone would want to read. I assume he made many many times more money from these than from his indie press lit horror books.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ShutteredIn posted:

Brian Evenson wrote two Dead Space tie-ins and the novel version of The Lords of Salem, the Rob Zombie movie, which I don't know why anyone would want to read.

Horror fans like collecting novelizations, even if they won't read them. Some of novelizations for the first few Friday the 13ths go for hundreds of dollars depending on the wear and tear.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Franchescanado posted:

It took me much longer to learn to avoid any TBB discussions about neuroplasticity and language development skills, because I don't really know or care that much about it and it's always a trainwreck.

Is that some recurring thing here?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

No, I getcha. I had a moment where I decided that being pretentious about something is ostracizing; no one's really going to embrace the discussion, the opinions, or the material, and it's just easier being chill about things I dislike and the people that enjoy them instead of looking down at everyone. There's something good in each genre, even if I'm not willing to read/watch it myself, but being a dick just means people are less likely to give something I consider Great a chance. I still grit my teeth at my book club at half the suggestions, but then I got everyone to read Lincoln in the Bardo, so it evens out.

My big frustration remains people who aren't curious. People who stick to one bubble because of one reason or other.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Is that some recurring thing here?

It is in the Real Lit thread. I've watched it derail the thread for pages and pages at least twice. I remember one of them because I was stuck in an airport with nothing to read but that thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What's the deal with November's BotM? It's a three way tie and voting's closed.

I forgot to vote.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

What's the deal with November's BotM? It's a three way tie and voting's closed.

I forgot to vote.

You fuckers I ask you to do ONE THING

ok extra sudden death time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You fuckers I ask you to do ONE THING

ok extra sudden death time

You didn't even post the link to the poll

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

And sometimes I want to read terrible Shadowrun fiction
can't say i know this feel to be perfectly honest

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

can't say i know this feel to be perfectly honest

Try reading Never Deal with a Dragon by Robert N Charrette sometime, it'll broaden your horizons

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try reading Never Deal with a Dragon by Robert N Charrette sometime, it'll broaden your horizons

Two of the top reviews on amazon both go "Terrible writing and characters, but setting is cool"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Two of the top reviews on amazon both go "Terrible writing and characters, but setting is cool"

:yeah:

It's stupid, it's fun, it'll really make you appreciate good writing. Which helps sometimes? I write, I get into moods where I'm super critical and it's... Well, Twain said it best. When he learned the river, he couldn't have the innocent admiration of how pretty it was. Instead he'd spot every rock and eddy and he'd know the best route for his riverboat.

When I get too far into analyzing sentences instead of chilling and having a good time, mediocre genre fiction is there for me. And to an extent it makes my imagination work better - if I were rewriting this, I'd do it better...

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:yeah:

It's stupid, it's fun, it'll really make you appreciate good writing. Which helps sometimes? I write, I get into moods where I'm super critical and it's... Well, Twain said it best. When he learned the river, he couldn't have the innocent admiration of how pretty it was. Instead he'd spot every rock and eddy and he'd know the best route for his riverboat.

When I get too far into analyzing sentences instead of chilling and having a good time, mediocre genre fiction is there for me. And to an extent it makes my imagination work better - if I were rewriting this, I'd do it better...

I can already appreciate good writing because I'm very cool, and I don't think anyone 'analyses' sentences in the way you seem to think they do.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fantasy.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The setting in fantasy is never cool