Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://twitter.com/DigitalEmelas/status/925020124356272129

Ys 8 localization intensifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't worry, we'll fix all the issues in both scripts, within the next month. this is a viable promise

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not even the French script, it's some nonsensical French lorem ipsum substitute they left on the NA physical package.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't worry the French in game is bad too

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lost Dimension is on Steam with a whopping -40% debut discount. Feed me opinions, although the traitor thing may be both cool and annoying if all the good party members end up being traitors...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best party member is guaranteed to be the first traitor on your first run of the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played a bit through it, the mechanic is neat in theory but can be a real pain in the rear end with how arbitrary it is, especially in a game where you build up relationships and get guys stronger by interacting with them. So suddenly the guy that you're close to maximizing friendship with suddenly turns evil out of nowhere. It also means that there's little to no character development since there's no guarantee that any character will be alive at any point in the story, so it's mostly just about the protagonist and the evil dude. Also you need to maximize everyone's friendship value to get the the true ending, which requires minimum two playthroughs.

Some neat strategy mechanics though. But I can't say if it's worth the total playtime, as it get get a little repetitive.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I haven't played it but I have listened to its final boss theme on multiple occasions.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Going to recommend Shadow Hearts too. Great series that died way too young.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

World of FF coming to PC in 3 weeks. How was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52m0v2BscOQ

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Kild posted:

World of FF coming to PC in 3 weeks. How was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52m0v2BscOQ

Fun. Great FF nostalgia. My only complaint was you had to plan your party early because exp requirements got pretty steep towards the end, and it’s almost impossible to catch new monsters up without grinding pretty hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Fun. Great FF nostalgia. My only complaint was you had to plan your party early because exp requirements got pretty steep towards the end, and it’s almost impossible to catch new monsters up without grinding pretty hard.

At least with a PC version you can just cheatengine them up to snuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah the greatest problems with World of Final Fantasy are that a) you can't change party members mid-combat and b) it is very counter to progress to switch party members at any time, since you need to grind to level up the new ones, without there being any kind of xp curves. That said, the game outside of those problems is quite fun, goofy jokes and all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Yeah the greatest problems with World of Final Fantasy are that a) you can't change party members mid-combat and b) it is very counter to progress to switch party members at any time, since you need to grind to level up the new ones, without there being any kind of xp curves. That said, the game outside of those problems is quite fun, goofy jokes and all.

I also don't like that they force you to use Lann and Reynn in the stacks until postgame.

Just let me stack my cool monsters instead of these boring idiots game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection is now out and I'm gonna play it!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terper posted:

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection is now out and I'm gonna play it!

if anybody's on the fence about getting it because zwei 1 isn't available in english, there's a pretty good if a bit buggy english patch out for it, too. there are some issues to fix since it's only a beta but the important dialog is all in english, including most of the npc text, the worst issue is that the teleportation item causes some heavy lag while you're using its menu

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

GrandpaPants posted:

Lost Dimension is on Steam with a whopping -40% debut discount. Feed me opinions, although the traitor thing may be both cool and annoying if all the good party members end up being traitors...

I would call Lost Dimension probably the worst game I've ever played through twice.
It has a neat gimmick, but the rest of the game just feels like an empty shell for the gimmick and you don't even get into the real mechanical meat of it until a second playthrough.
Also, you need at least 2 playthroughs to get the true ending, and you might need 3 if the game feels like spiting you.
Luckily it is pretty short.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

I also don't like that they force you to use Lann and Reynn in the stacks until postgame.

Just let me stack my cool monsters instead of these boring idiots game

At the very least you should've been able to switch between the Jiant and Lilikin stacks mid-fight. Whoops, you forgot to switch before starting, now you're screwed!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChrisBTY posted:

I would call Lost Dimension probably the worst game I've ever played through twice.
We should have a multi-page derail about this. I'll start: Eternal Sonata.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Last Remnant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst game ive beaten twice is sonic adventure i guess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Edit: oh, that I've finished. Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That one Lunar game where you take damage for running.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

That one Lunar game where you take damage for running.
you beat dragon song twice?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I haven’t beaten many games twice and the ones I have are all good, in my opinion. Once I beat FF Type 0 again that’ll probably be the worst of them.

I really hate that Type 0 locked half its missions behind NG+ along with half its story. I also hate that I’m invested enough in it to actually replay it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

you beat dragon song twice?

Oh, no. Never mind I'll get back to you.

E: Villgust Gaiden.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xenosaga 1. Erde Kaiser both times.

If we count 90% beaten, it's still probably Xenosaga 1.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hmmm. if we're limiting it to rpgs, then probably grandia 2.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i mean, i liked Fate/Extra but i barely play through most games once, let alone twice

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Beyond the Beyond. Maybe 3 or 4 times.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tae posted:

I almost would have beaten Xenosaga twice if I didn't spend all my time playing that card game on the second run.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Final Fantasy III DS

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Actually I'm changing my answer to Mega Man Battle Network 4, and I'm not even talking about how you have to do the story three times.

Does anybody else on the planet know about Villgust Gaiden? It was this weird little ten-hour side story to a more traditional SNES RPG I'm told by someone I trust is actually very bad, but the spinoff is charming, earnest, has kind of an interesting premise (you play some B-tier party members getting things set up for the main plot behind the scenes), and probably started or fed my burgeoning love of RPGs where combat means you jump around and smash things. It's not very good but I have the weirdest nostalgia for it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

finishing Erde Kaiser actually makes the game shorter imo

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Trinity Universe, Neptunia 1 PS3

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, the timer in Nights of Azure 2 feels really oppressive. Not the per-night one, that one's fine, I mean the overall big moon phase one. Especially when the game keeps taking away your days with nothing, or extremely short missions that then kick you back to the hotel, or the like. It forces you to reaaaally optimize each time you go out because if you decide you want to faff about even a LITTLE you're heading straight into a game over. Unless it lets up a bit later, I dunno.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
remember time and eternity

the gently caress was that

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The first game that really let you play an anime!!!

A really bad anime.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

corn in the bible posted:

remember time and eternity

the gently caress was that

It sits right next to my copy of that ps3 teddy bear murder game. It wasn't offensively bad, just really really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, the timer in Nights of Azure 2 feels really oppressive. Not the per-night one, that one's fine, I mean the overall big moon phase one. Especially when the game keeps taking away your days with nothing, or extremely short missions that then kick you back to the hotel, or the like. It forces you to reaaaally optimize each time you go out because if you decide you want to faff about even a LITTLE you're heading straight into a game over. Unless it lets up a bit later, I dunno.

Focus on the main story objectives first till you get the boss warning. Then you can spend the rest of time doing other stuff. Though if side stuff happens to be in the same area, then you can do those too. It’s one of the later chapters, I think chapter 5 where ignoring the main story will cost you cause it’ll force you to use up days as part of its steps