Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Relevant to running discussion, this is a year old, but this dude spent $2 million on one of those godawful timer "MMO"s

https://venturebeat.com/2016/10/14/the-deanbeat-this-player-spent-2-million-in-a-mobile-game-then-he-led-a-boycott/

(Self promotion: if you've never seen one of these before I played the Game of Thrones version on stream two weeks ago, starts at 2:46:00 in the VOD https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182866297)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Amiibos aren't anywhere near as insidious as charging for lootboxes because even if the stuff they gate is arguably not worth the money at least you know what you're buying going in, lootboxes are completely random.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are bootleg Amiibos a thing?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Skylanders?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

There are apparently ways to get around buying the actual Amiibo figurines by just buying blank chips and imprinting the statues data onto the chip.

I have no idea how it works, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

Amiibos aren't anywhere near as insidious as charging for lootboxes because even if the stuff they gate is arguably not worth the money at least you know what you're buying going in, lootboxes are completely random.

It's debatable because Lootboxes still tend to mostly just contain cosmetic doo-dads for your characters. Amiibos have locked out entire difficulties and game modes.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Nuebot posted:

Amiibos have locked out entire difficulties and game modes.

Which normal DLC has already been doing for years. Nintendo's just in a time lag and then implements the same poo poo in bizarre and inconvenient ways because the company is actually run by space aliens.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Best of the Worst Halloween Special- in which bad movies and alcohol finally break Mike's brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QJazEHMUo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

Which normal DLC has already been doing for years. Nintendo's just in a time lag and then implements the same poo poo in bizarre and inconvenient ways because the company is actually run by space aliens.

:yeah:

Nintendo is trapped in that weirdass time dilation bubble from Rah Xephon that looks like the planet Jupiter, so they still think it's only 2004 and are lightyears ahead of Sony, Microsoft and the PC market with their amazing innovations, while everyone outside the bubble is creeping up on almost two decades beyond them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

Is it? I'm seriously hard pressed to think of too many games I've owned at least where actual game modes were blocked off by DLC. Endings, sure. That's why I don't buy capcom games anymore. Amiibos also cost like twelve to twenty dollars.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also, as implied by the name, DLC is, y'know, downloadable, and not a physical object that is prone to scarcity

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alaois posted:

also, as implied by the name, DLC is, y'know, downloadable, and not a physical object that is prone to scarcity

On the other hand amiibos are physical things that look nice sitting on your desk at work or shelf covered in dust and cobwebs and have a wide, flared base if you’re feeling adventurous

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Nuebot posted:

Is it? I'm seriously hard pressed to think of too many games I've owned at least where actual game modes were blocked off by DLC. Endings, sure. That's why I don't buy capcom games anymore. Amiibos also cost like twelve to twenty dollars.

Arena/Horde Mode is a pretty common DLC. Metro Last Light had its highest difficulty as a DLC/Preorder Bonus. It's not super common because it still gets bad press, but it's not something Nintendo invented.

Alaois posted:

Yeah, that part's not great, though Amiibos being impossible to get hasn't been an issue for a while (though it was a significant issue for years before that). Would be nice if the Amiibo content could also be bought for digital download, but Nintendo and Space Aliens.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

Arena/Horde Mode is a pretty common DLC. Metro Last Light had its highest difficulty as a DLC/Preorder Bonus. It's not super common because it still gets bad press, but it's not something Nintendo invented.

Fair enough, I suppose. I'm still more annoyed by tying an unlockable costume in the new metroid to a difficulty mode you can only play by purchasing an amiibo than I am a purchasable digital DLC arena mode or something that doesn't affect the main game.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think we can all agree that video game publishers are scum, but Nintendo is at least scum in a way that gets you neat tat and/or baffling decisions.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Nuebot posted:

As further proof of the Nintendo Time Bubble Hypothesis, online passes were a brief fad in the mid PS3/360 generation. Sony still to this day seriously expects you to pay $10 for access to the online mode for God of War: Ascension.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Most of the multiplayer features in Nioh are only available to people who have a playstation plus subscription. It’s annoying, since pvp is the main way to gain one of the currencies in the game that can be used to unlock character skins and some other stuff.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Heck, you can't even view messages in Soulsborne games without a PS+ account.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Nyx looks at Tyler Perry through Auteur Theory, as well just in general looking at the absurdity of his films. The twist is Nyx thinks this is a good thing.

https://youtu.be/wO8sO17r8G4

Mischalaniouse fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 29, 2017

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
That is not a good video with which to introduce someone to Nyx's work. :/

Also I'm not convinced that he is using the word 'Absurd' correctly.

Like, there's a difference between 'a synonym for ridiculous' and Absurdist Artwork, right? Coz I get the impression he's using them both interchangeably in that video.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Alright, what are some good vids to show nyx's work?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Same way Night Mind started me off with Nyx's videos: Nyx's discussion of Eraserhead. Also Nyx makes it extremely clear during the skits that his skeleton friend is the audience stand-in.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
On the topic of scary stuff for scaryween, two expert art critics share their insight on our generation's emergent artform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_OCnG9VCI

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

KayTee posted:

On the topic of scary stuff for scaryween, two expert art critics share their insight on our generation's emergent artform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_OCnG9VCI

I don't acknowledge any modern media take on Jekyll/Hyde if they don't include the now accepted-as-canon PSYCHO-WAVE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've been watching more of Sideways's videos on music. The guy definitely knows his stuff, but he's got a big issue with how people consume music media, and he's professed that he's not a film or game buff, but feels the need to point out the flaws in how film and game scores are crafted and utilized. I can't say I entirely disagree with him, but the difference between how music is utilized in association with video and film media versus the stage or concert setting is kind of big. He's pretty open about how he went to music school to learn how to score for video games, and got frequently laughed at for his ambition until he came to realize the greater complexities of music, and I feel that has kind of coloured his world view. He seems to want everyone to consume media the same way he does now, and do so with music.

I'm reminded of an article I read about artists wanting their audience to enjoy their paintings for what they were, and that it isn't necessary to understand the intricacies of the craft itself to appreciate the painting. I personally feel the same way about music. Understanding the inspiration that Williams took from Holst does not mean that Williams's Star Wars soundtrack is not still incredible. Just because a game doesn't follow classical musical theory doesn't mean the music can't still be good. What should be done is to find ways of better adapting music to their accompanying mediums. Music written for the stage, opera, or concert has had hundreds of years to develop. Films have had just over a hundred years, and video games have only had a few decades. And they are not the same thing when it comes to how music is applied.

We're definitely getting there. The Portal 2 soundtrack's use of various tracks that kick in when specific actions are performed is a great way of integrating music with gameplay, while something like Mick Gordon's music for DOOM 2016 is almost perfectly synced up to whatever a player is doing at a given moment.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Don't think she's posted here on a while but I have a question for Allison. Which is funnier; Will punching his evil mum in the face in Witchcraft 2 or Norman doing the El Kabong on his mother in Psycho 2?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

If you bought or rented the movie Doc of the Dead that promised a Plinket skit years ago but was disapointed that it only had snippets of it, don't worry. You can finally see the full segment that was filmed as RLMs ChristmasHalloween gift.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
What sort of insurance should you carry for operating an S&M Dungeon in your castle? How do you childproof a home where dark rituals are regularly held? Which bar has the best Pina Colada in London OH? All this and more will be examined as we catch some song criminals DEAD TO FRIGHTS!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I've been watching more of Sideways's videos on music.

Yeah, I've been watching him for a bit and I think most of the issues you're talking about are just coming from inexperience, as in, the more he works on his videos the more his taste is going to evolve and eventually recognize and incorporate other viewpoints into his videos. For right now, talking just from his own experiences is good enough, and he makes some good videos.

I really liked the sequels to silence where he talks about pieces of music composed of just silence and the significance of silence in music. It's mostly observation, no conclusions or inspirations, but that's what I mean when I say he's still learning, he can make a ten minute video about being impressed by the art of silence but actually taking that and using it is a whole other thing, and he's not quite at that point yet.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone else remember a vid someone did on Wolfenstein New Order that really went in detail on the game's plot and BJ's character? I remember watching it ages ago which got me interested in picking the game up, but now I can't find it...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Archer666 posted:

Does anyone else remember a vid someone did on Wolfenstein New Order that really went in detail on the game's plot and BJ's character? I remember watching it ages ago which got me interested in picking the game up, but now I can't find it...

Maaaybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpkcQcX8gM

I wouldn't call it particularly detailed, but it's what got me interested in the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Archer666 posted:

Not sure, but you could always watch Noah Caldwell-Gervais's video covering the entire Wolfenstein franchise.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Got two videos out this Halloween. The first is my 2017 Are You Afraid of the Dark Halloween Annual on the episode "The Tale of the Pinball Wizard,." which is about a kid who gets locked into a mall and has to reenact Robin Hood or something.

The second is on some of the philosophical underpinning of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush".

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Lindsay Ellis posted a video about Disney's adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIWy3TZ1eI

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Mr.Radar posted:

Lindsay Ellis posted a video about Disney's adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIWy3TZ1eI

Mostly agreed, but I’m a little surprised she didn’t draw the connection between Robert Moses and Baron Haussmann.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob has a new "Really that Bad" video out on Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

It is One Hour Twenty-Four minutes long.

It is Part One.

Remember when Hbomberguy's rambling Dark Souls video was considered overlong? I miss those days.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember when Hbomberguy's rambling Dark Souls video was considered overlong? I miss those days.

YouTube needs to enforce 5 minute upload limits again. Bring back editing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

New Butt Order posted:

YouTube needs to enforce 5 minute upload limits again. Bring back editing.

I mean, if you want every good video essay to be chopped up into 6-8 small pieces, then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
ContraPoints really sucks, huh. She keeps doing stupid poo poo like defending that Singal guy and trying to debate right wingers, and her vid on leftism was loving stupid

• Locked thread