Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

Actually the question just occurred to me, Is candy corn a thing outside of the US?

No. I thought it was three coloured cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Eldragon posted:

Just to clarify? Did CR actually say the planet was a 1:1 scale and physics accurate simulation?

A giant procgen planet with a city on it is pretty cool, I like what they did with it; No one would really care if its not perfectly accurate to scale even at 1:10,000 its bigger than any video game would ever need it to be.

i think its fairly certain that they cant even deliver what they showed in that demo.
Cr did say that its gravity is accurately simulated, in the video i linked.

the gently caress up is the fact that CR didnt even realize that he was making planet ridiculously small with his statements. He was reducing his scope without knowing it.
its basically only bit bigger than botw map. and do remember earlier in gamescom demo he was talking about moons having craters that were larger than skyrims map.
basically it would mean that planets are actually smaller than the moons. That is if CR was telling the truth.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
where does the thread stand on dumping in urinals?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

peter gabriel posted:

The next page buttons have just gone all bigger rounded edges ooer

The change also put a separation between Ursine Catastrophe's body halves.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dark Off posted:

basically it would mean that planets are actually smaller than the moons.

New thread title!

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Dark Off posted:

can you do video on scale of that city planet.
if Cr didnt lie about the realism of his physics simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI#t=1677s

on earth sized planet gravity would be 9.7239 meters per second
if it was 1/100 scale would mean that gravity is 5.0676 meters per second
if it was 1/1000 scale it would mean that gravity is 0.407124021258469 meters per second
that would give us a sphere with 6.4 km radius.
A = 514718540.36415 m2
515 km2 would be the area of the city planet
for comparison just cause 3 map is 1036km2

the realities of CR's lies :laugh:

Honestly I don't care if they make the planets 1/10th scale with short days and hacked physics so that players don't have to match orbits with a space station. Full orbital mechanics is so trivial to implement that KSP used the stock Unity physics engine with no modification for ages, but it serves no purpose to most gamers and SC shouldn't be doing that.

Based on what I've seen they have 1/10th scale planets with a non-physical gravitational force that drops to near zero about 20km up. No problem with that. Don't stand on stage claiming that it's physically accurate.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Codezombie posted:

KSP is very good, both from what Harvester got out of Unity (especially given the early version that was used) plus its a solid bit of game design.

Heck, I remember introducing version 0.9 to a friend of mine in the UK space industry, according to my mate, it basically parallelised it for a day, as all the researchers stopped working and played KSP. ;)

Post much more please :)

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

holy gently caress maybe cr wasnt lying.

check out the scale of that ship. Everything is scaled down :laffo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI&t=1368s
as bonus Cr is talking about how nobody has done things at similar scale

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

Drunk Theory posted:

The unforgivable sin of being rote and boring. We all know it's a scam, they did nothing new or noteworthy in continuing the scam. So, boredom discussions.

I wish every presentation could have the wheels come off.

I wish they could show -anything- interesting, successful or not. Heck, if they just did the Gamescom demo again, but without the bugs and ramp/car incident, I would have cheered.

Because just driving a car onto a ship with 2 of your friends, hyperspacing to a planet, landing on a planet, driving the car, picking up a box, putting the box in the car, putting the car back into the ship, hyperspacing to a station, and selling the box to one working NPC would be a legit technical achievement deserving of actual respect, even given the project being doomed and a total scam. If another player were to attack them in another spaceship sometime during the demo, and our heroes repelled the attack in their turret and snub fighter, the cheering would be audible outside everyone's windows and $50 mil in pledges would have appeared an hour later.

Can you imagine it? People at the con would literally be howling and pulling their hair. There were be a 10 minute long standing ovation as the front row desperately stretches to touch Croberts' clothing while he beams like a man both absolved and elevated to God in that one moment. As the spectators filed out some would fall down with weak knees staring in manic disbelief at the awesome they just experienced. Some would prostrate and claw at the ground, screaming; they would be embraced and comforted by strangers and they would cry together. Despite the sausage fest, the groupies would be insatiable and unstoppable, and every last one of the CiG staff would be rewarded for the hard work they did humping their own boxes to the con.

But they shilled to get rid of a warehouse full of overpriced drives and showed tiled buildings.

fritzgryphon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 31, 2017

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Dark Off posted:

can you do video on scale of that city planet.
if Cr didnt lie about the realism of his physics simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI#t=1677s

on earth sized planet gravity would be 9.7239 meters per second
if it was 1/100 scale would mean that gravity is 5.0676 meters per second
if it was 1/1000 scale it would mean that gravity is 0.407124021258469 meters per second
that would give us a sphere with 6.4 km radius.
A = 514718540.36415 m2
515 km2 would be the area of the city planet
for comparison just cause 3 map is 1036km2

the realities of CR's lies :laugh:

come on like you know game development. Leave it to the pros like CR and Company.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

illectro posted:

Honestly I don't care if they make the planets 1/10th scale with short days and hacked physics so that players don't have to match orbits with a space station. Full orbital mechanics is so trivial to implement that KSP used the stock Unity physics engine with no modification for ages, but it serves no purpose to most gamers and SC shouldn't be doing that.

Based on what I've seen they have 1/10th scale planets with a non-physical gravitational force that drops to near zero about 20km up. No problem with that. Don't stand on stage claiming that it's physically accurate.

Here's my hot take on it.

I think the more you want your game to be on the high order side of entertainment (combat, fleets, orgs, economy and all that) the more you have to give accessibility and simplification to the bulk work of spaceflight, navigation and physics.

KSP is fascinating because I have to solve riddles of spaceflight problems with a realistic aproach.

Elite dangerous is fascinating because I play a game in a universe where personal interstellar travel has become a common thing and just like in GTA, the vehicles are ways to achieve something. The game can revovle around you and your spaceship, but the sensation comes from the stuff around, exploration, combat, getaways etc.

The thing with star citizen is the seams. If you base your game on physics and you introduce environments and behaviors that we can, to a degree, observe in real life, the job becomes stitching that into the fabric of a high order video game.

Elite dangerous has a ton of this stitching of the highest quality. From their flight model,which many people found questionable but it does what needs to be done, over the network solution to their FTL travel it all makes perfect sense when you think about the 2 big takes in ED

1. The ships fly pretty much newtonian
2. There is a full galaxy around you.

The game design behind elites FTL mechanics is genius. I have thought about it for a long, long time and for a video game there is pretty much nothing better for the scale of in system travel than EDs FSD.

All these seams that keep a game like ED together are loose strings in sc. Everyone who saw the presentation probably can attest that 8 minutes of flying straight is a horrible mechanic. But the flight model for newtonian flight, the navigation and pretty much everything else that wraps up the individual mechanical fabric to an actual game is entirely out of place and their design solutions are on a spectrum from poor over unfit for the job to outright horrible resource sinks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

CIG's victory at CitCon was so absolute the thread has started talking about piss and posting literal e-mail forwards.

It's been 5 years, there's not much new to say. At Citizen Con they didn't gently caress up and bought more time because Citizens are idiots, it's just not as funny as Games Com, when they did gently caress up but still bought more time because Citizens are idiots.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

everybody should play super mario odyssey, a great game that exists, and avoid investing in star citizen, a bad game that does not exist

that's my hot take

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Not trying to be rude to your culture, but is that a literal piss troth you’re supposed to use next to however many dudes can fit in next to you?

This is getting worse. I feel bad for guys who have no way to maintain dignity because of ??? Reasons? Is it saving money on a cheap wall or something?

If you've got a little penor that you don't want looked at you just use a toilet stall which has walls and (usually) a door. If you've a big ol hogleg and don't mind people taking a gander at it, you use the urinals.

hth

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
#TheOpenHouse - YASC (Yet Another Star Citizen) stream:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM3JlO45thE

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

alf_pogs posted:

everybody should play super mario odyssey, a great game that exists, and avoid investing in star citizen, a bad game that does not exist

that's my hot take

Pfftt. Who cares. Has Mario ever gone into space?, right didn't think so Goonie. Oh, he has...twice.

Star Citizen is great!

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 31, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This guy didn't read Derek's Jew lie blog.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Pfftt. Who cares. Has Mario ever gone into space?, right didn't think so Goonie. Oh, he has...twice.

spoiler alert:

update your super mario odyssey patch notes cuz we got

- MOONS

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Isn't it kind of a nonissue whether or not CIG has made the planets full size since there's no actual game and never will be?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

Isn't it kind of a nonissue whether or not CIG has made the planets full size since there's no actual game and never will be?

Yes. Each of those planets craters is big enough to hold Skyrim after all.

And by that they meant that once you sit your spaceman down in one of those craters, you'll install Skyrim and play it instead.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Beet Wagon posted:

I believe you mean to say it’s moot, which according to TheGremlich means it’s up for debate.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Dark Off posted:

That is shockingly bad. You would think they would catch this but if that is what is forced then are they truly hosed?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hot balls man no homo posted:

Honestly, I was hoping for a colossal gently caress-up again, like at gamescom. But they elected to punt, just showing a long cutscene with no gameplay, no interactions, no dialogue. It didn't amaze everyone but it didn't drive backers away in droves. It was as safe as they could have played it.

I don't know, man. It seems to me that showing literally nothing - no game progress, mechanics, or technology - and simply playing a video of what Chris imagines during his dull fever dreams, was the biggest admission of outright failure they could have made. In that sense the GamesCom presentation was superior. It represented actual things that they tried to do. Of course they failed spectacularly, and in hilarious fashion, but at least there was something tangible to see falling apart.

This presentation had nothing. Somehow it's being touted as this rousing success. I'm lost.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

This presentation had nothing. Somehow it's being touted as this rousing success. I'm lost.
The whales never ask "Where is the fun?" or "Where is the gameplay?" As The Titanic said, they're playing a different game than us. They're sinking money to dream about playing their far off dull fever dream, it's not actually about a game they will ever play.

So the video is successful at that, I suppose?

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

Dark Off posted:

Took a moment to realize that the other spaceship passes between the camera and the smoke trail effect.

The Aurora is 8m wide so the ship would have to be less than a meter wide. This might also be a draw order problem, because the small ship -seems- to be further away than that?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Codezombie posted:

Whats the point of making a sim pit for a game where you spend more than half your time walking around and not in the chair of the ship?

But it's going to have VR see and so he can walk from the helm to the science officers station and back to weapons. Sheesh.
Some people really have no grasp of sim pit development.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

This is now the thread about Urinals, Pizza topings and people getting probated for posting Anime. Maybe also Star Citizen and MoMa. Someone called it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

I spent far too much time looking for this old post from USENET. All credit to Andrew Solberg, all shame to me for still remembering this after 23(!) years.

Hahaha!

That’s classic! :cheers:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

The whales never ask "Where is the fun?" or "Where is the gameplay?" As The Titanic said, they're playing a different game than us. They're sinking money to dream about playing their far off dull fever dream, it's not actually about a game they will ever play.

So the video is successful at that, I suppose?

You obviously have no idea about game development or the time it takes to create a game.
I've said this before, most AAA titles take anywhere from 8 to 10 years to develope if not longer. Star Citizen has been in development for only 5 years. Do the math and come back when you have a real perspective of the time you are going to wait for a final release with the content they want to deliver.
4.0 in 3 years? yeah I can live with that. FInal release in 5 years? yup I'll take that too.

Star Citizen is being developed from the ground up with open development in mind, that means we get to see every detail including technical issues, bugs and fixes, new content as it's implemented into the game. The reason it feels like we are getting nowehre fast is because most other games have hit the shelves within 6 months of being announced, they already completed the development of the game.

We on the other hand have the privalege of being involved with the development, we have a say in what we would like to see and we, the community as a whole have the ability to shape the fundamentals of the game as we go along. Just because we mention an idea in a forum post one day doesn't mean it will be ready in a weeks time, the more ideas we come up with, the longer it will take to develope, but the more gameplay elements we will receive when the game is released.

So from now until then we can give fresh ideas and constructive feedback or critisism or we can go elsewhere until Star Citizen is released, personally I am thoroughly enjoying the development process, as long as it takes we will get the game of our dreams, you should feel honoured to be part of that adventure.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

fritzgryphon posted:

I wish they could show -anything- interesting, successful or not. Heck, if they just did the Gamescom demo again, but without the bugs and ramp/car incident, I would have cheered.

Because just driving a car onto a ship with 2 of your friends, hyperspacing to a planet, landing on a planet, driving the car, picking up a box, putting the box in the car, putting the car back into the ship, hyperspacing to a station, and selling the box to one working NPC would be a legit technical achievement deserving of actual respect, even given the project being doomed and a total scam. If another player were to attack them in another spaceship sometime during the demo, and our heroes repelled the attack in their turret and snub fighter, the cheering would be audible outside everyone's windows and $50 mil in pledges would have appeared an hour later.

Can you imagine it? People at the con would literally be howling and pulling their hair. There were be a 10 minute long standing ovation as the front row desperately stretches to touch Croberts' clothing while he beams like a man both absolved and elevated to God in that one moment. As the spectators filed out some would fall down with weak knees staring in manic disbelief at the awesome they just experienced. Some would prostrate and claw at the ground, screaming; they would be embraced and comforted by strangers and they would cry together. Despite the sausage fest, the groupies would be insatiable and unstoppable, and every last one of the CiG staff would be rewarded for the hard work they did humping their own boxes to the con.

But they shilled to get rid of a warehouse full of overpriced drives and showed tiled buildings.

:drat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Funny! :heysexy:

You guys are killing it. I don’t feel too guilty about the accidental subject change.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You obviously have no idea about game development or the time it takes to create a game.
I've said this before, most AAA titles take anywhere from 8 to 10 years to develope if not longer. Star Citizen has been in development for only 5 years. Do the math and come back when you have a real perspective of the time you are going to wait for a final release with the content they want to deliver.
4.0 in 3 years? yeah I can live with that. FInal release in 5 years? yup I'll take that too.

Star Citizen is being developed from the ground up with open development in mind, that means we get to see every detail including technical issues, bugs and fixes, new content as it's implemented into the game. The reason it feels like we are getting nowehre fast is because most other games have hit the shelves within 6 months of being announced, they already completed the development of the game.

We on the other hand have the privalege of being involved with the development, we have a say in what we would like to see and we, the community as a whole have the ability to shape the fundamentals of the game as we go along. Just because we mention an idea in a forum post one day doesn't mean it will be ready in a weeks time, the more ideas we come up with, the longer it will take to develope, but the more gameplay elements we will receive when the game is released.

So from now until then we can give fresh ideas and constructive feedback or critisism or we can go elsewhere until Star Citizen is released, personally I am thoroughly enjoying the development process, as long as it takes we will get the game of our dreams, you should feel honoured to be part of that adventure.

:same:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I totally agree.

When are you going to show off your ball turret equipped ship? You should definitely get one with two turrets. I’ll man both turrets for you. Running between each ball like a chimpanzee chasing a banana.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Time for Titanic to reveal the mysteries of the ladies room, since urinal lore is exhausted.

e: On second thought, let's not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Golli posted:

Time for Titanic to reveal the mysteries of the ladies room, since urinal lore is exhausted.

Nah, urinals with yogurt is a good thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I've said this before, most AAA titles take anywhere from 8 to 10 years to develope if not longer.
:cawg: No.

quote:

Star Citizen has been in development for only 5 years.

quote:

FInal release in 5 years?

quote:

Star Citizen is being developed from the ground up

quote:

with open development

quote:

The reason it feels like we are getting nowehre fast is because most other games have hit the shelves within 6 months of being announced, they already completed the development of the game.

quote:

We on the other hand have the privalege of being involved with the development, we have a say in what we would like to see and we, the community as a whole have the ability to shape the fundamentals of the game as we go along

quote:

we can go elsewhere until Star Citizen is released
Please do. Although your citizen-like ignorance of all things software, game, and development related is very funny. It's just that the actual citizens do it better and with more conviction and (somehow) less stupidity, so they kind of upstage you and make you useless. Please improve.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
so are stimperial bathrooms really polite or something

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nah, urinals with yogurt is a good thing.

It really carries the flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Viscous Soda posted:

Actually the question just occurred to me, Is candy corn a thing outside of the US?

In Canada, yes.

In the UK, the mecca of all candy, no idea if it exists there!