Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

They called the second Xbox One the Xbox One Ten

that's the third xbox one. the second xbox one is the xbox one s

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

it's like poetry. it rhymes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-engineer-installs-google-chrome-during-presentation-after-edge-freezes-518291.shtml

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i wasn't going to check that long-rear end video but these are the same thing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

i wasn't going to check that long-rear end video but these are the same thing

oh, I completely missed the accompanying post below that video

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

that's the third xbox one. the second xbox one is the xbox one s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Lousy reporting. That Microsoft idiot said that Edge is locked down on those machines, not "the age of these machines are [sic] wacked down a little bit."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

Lousy reporting. That Microsoft idiot said that Edge is locked down on those machines, not "the age of these machines are [sic] wacked down a little bit."
news dot soft pedia dot com

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Look, Apple never claimed Face ID was perfect and, in my tests, it could not be fooled by photos or videos of my registered face. Still, these results do not bode well for all the identical twins out there, to say nothing of triplets and quintuplets. This is, by the way, a test Microsoft says its Windows Hello Facial recognition technology reportedly didn’t fail.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Getting your phone hacked by your doppelganger seems like a real edge case

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i give ur mome a hello facial every time she comes over ikywim

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

apple iface is facial recognition where windows hello (atleast on my winphone) is iris scanning. iris scanning would be harder to defeat w/ a twin, where a twin would largely have the same general face. facial recognition is probably faster which is why apple is using it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

apple iface is facial recognition where windows hello (atleast on my winphone) is iris scanning. iris scanning would be harder to defeat w/ a twin, where a twin would largely have the same general face. facial recognition is probably faster which is why apple is using it.

windows hello is the collected infrastructure/entrypoints for all kinds of "secondary" authentication if i understand it correctly, so its everything from the pin (which you can set instead of the full password for connected devices), to iris scans (which is poo poo), face recognition, fingerprints, etc.

you, at the very least, get the hello face recognition thing on a lot of laptops these days, requires the addition of an ir camera, but i guess oems just gets a only modestly more expensive camera assembly they drop in for it

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It works okay. On mobile it didn’t work too hot in low light conditions but that’s to be expected. sometimes it would start its routine before you were near the camera so it failed, other times it sits there saying “Checking if it’s really you” long enough to just put the drat PIN in anyways and skip it.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/linux

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

this site has three different icons for visual studio code, none of which are the right one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Boiled Water posted:

this site has three different icons for visual studio code, none of which are the right one

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft understands Linux

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

didn't they outright say in their reveal that if you had an evil twin you shouldn't use face id?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if I'm the evil twin?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

evils twin

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Thank you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

what if I'm the evil twin?

then hope your sibling doesn't realize it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

im loving dead lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If his excuse is real that is some classic Windows IT bikeshedding. Lock down random functions in Edge but allow downloading of running of any executables. Microsoft hasn't managed to progress from: security & usability pick one.

One hopes Microsoft will not just internally ban Chome and be dipshits because the presenter would just have to cancel the presentation.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 1, 2017

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
No that presenter is just a (soon to be unemployed) moron.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i thought people learned that the demo gods are fickle and vicious in college

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

oh cool so they’ll allow a locked icloud account to brick devices but they’ll also allow insecure methods of logging in on their devices

they just need to bring back Touch ID, the best security feature a device has ever had

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you shouldn't use any biometrics if you want to be secure and all of these are opt in afaik

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The stuff they use to prevent photos or videos unlocking the phone also seem like they'd be pretty easy to defeat if this sort of thing becomes common place enough for people to really put their minds to it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

you shouldn't use any biometrics if you want to be secure and all of these are opt in afaik

a teen on my bus said this to his friend yesterday, then logged into his iPhone using the passcode 1-2-3-4

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boiled Water posted:

a teen on my bus said this to his friend yesterday, then logged into his iPhone using the passcode 1-2-3-4

will ios even let you set your passcode to 1234 anymore

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Boiled Water posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Boiled Water posted:

a teen on my bus said this
did you go back there and correct him, or just continue on driving to the next stop?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

did you go back there and correct him, or just continue on driving to the next stop?

scandinavian social rules dictates no talking to strangers ever unless it's a dire emergency

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

scandinavian social rules dictates no talking to strangers ever unless it's a dire emergency

where non-deadly injury is less dire than being lost in the city

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't had a problem with windows 10 updates reverting setting before, until today, i upgraded to 1709 and it disabled my guest account

why the gently caress is it disabling the guest account i explicitly enabled

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
why the gently caress did you enable the guest account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum