Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i haven't watched the new STD yet, im watchin some sg1 baby WHOOOOOO

i know this is the trek thread but man, apophis is just the most fabulous fucker eeeever around. every time he pops onscreen i get that feeling i used to get when i was a lil guy, like 5 or 6 and id see guns n roses on TV and wish i could be them because they were so cool, poo poo man, that's how apophis makes a 30 year old me feel lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I did like the nice contrast between new and old trek, where they had a rockin' party in this show, whereas the wildest party in old trek was going to Ten-Forward in your weird space-pajamas and having a banana split and then playing your trumpet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It wasn't bad, but it might have worked better if they had abandoned mike being the center of the universe and showed this episode from the engineer's perspective. What were those first few iterations like, when he's trying to figure out WTF is going on? How about when he starts trying to recruit help, and finds that his groovy shrooming has cost him nearly all of his credibility and no one will listen? Instead of seeing those things for ourselves, we hear him tell Mike about them. ffff

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I did like the nice contrast between new and old trek, where they had a rockin' party in this show, whereas the wildest party in old trek was going to Ten-Forward in your weird space-pajamas and having a banana split and then playing your trumpet.

Don't forget putting on school plays for each other. You know, because TV is dead and people still get really really bored between holodeck visits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8WiZab_PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiyZEbGSHnY

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Gatekeeper posted:

i haven't watched the new STD yet, im watchin some sg1 baby WHOOOOOO

i know this is the trek thread but man, apophis is just the most fabulous fucker eeeever around. every time he pops onscreen i get that feeling i used to get when i was a lil guy, like 5 or 6 and id see guns n roses on TV and wish i could be them because they were so cool, poo poo man, that's how apophis makes a 30 year old me feel lmfao

I loved that when Apophis finally eats it he's covered in killer robots, crashes into a planet, gets mega-nuked, and you're still like nah that fool ain't dead. Later on even O'neil says something like "Apophis is definitely dea... We're 95% sure Apophis is dead."

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I loved that when Apophis finally eats it he's covered in killer robots, crashes into a planet, gets mega-nuked, and you're still like nah that fool ain't dead. Later on even O'neil says something like "Apophis is definitely dea... We're 95% sure Apophis is dead."

lol im watching that ep right now, it's great. "Listen I'm 100% sure!! ..........99% sure!!!!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have to assume that TNG was nerdy as poo poo because the Enterprise at that time simply attracted that kind of person and that the other ships were just party buses

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

TNG and to some extend Voyager were really, really bad at making most everyone seem incredibly boring/bland during their off-hours. Even 90% of their holodeck programs were super lame poo poo that even kids would find boring/tame. I'm liking that STD is actually showing the crew as being people who cut loose, as opposed to . . . "Let's all go to our quarters and listen to royalty-free music and talk about Elizabethan-era theatre." - Everyone in TNG

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ten-Forward wasn't leisure time. it was the decompression chamber that kept psyches together between the strain of 9 hours shifts in front of the same LCARS panel in a hallway and the death-orgy-bacchanalia of cum-stained knife fights going on in the holodecks.

A banana split and some trumpet sounds just about right to keep ones self centered and grounded between extremes.

revolther
May 27, 2008
For all the character development discovery is doing, it's doing it in the wrong loving direction. Who the gently caress is robot lady, what happened to robot dude, why does the one chick have an optical implant and always giving the 'skunk eye', there's background characters that they've cribbed from other series but don't want to tell us about.

I'm just about over it, like the last one could have been fun if there wasn't a totally unnecessary romantic subplot for gently caress all reason, you are loving tech hungry space marin----SCIENTISTS, do due diligence when someone says there is a science problem.

And yeah, are they keeping the space whale and it's time control ship/crystal thing that's inside of it? Also why the gently caress would you just let a murderous time hobo off with marriage as punishment? oh hoho marriage is awful it's funny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
His time device was destroyed and technically since time rewinded itself, he had not killed anyone yet

revolther
May 27, 2008
His wrist device was destroyed, but they implied that there was some larger crystal/machine powering it inside the space-whale.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was just a power source wasn't it?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

revolther posted:

Who the gently caress is robot lady, what happened to robot dude, why does the one chick have an optical implant and always giving the 'skunk eye', there's background characters that they've cribbed from other series but don't want to tell us about.

I'd love to find out more about robot-lady.

The red-head with the optical implant was on the USS Shenzhou when it was destroyed and she blames Burnham. Hence the "skunk eye" all the time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

One thing I don't get about "The battle of the binary stars"

There are obviously still damaged, semi-functional ships floating around there. Why on earth would they not send a bunch of salvage ships to tractor the damaged, salvageable ones back? You don't exactly want to have sensitive Starfleet technology floating around for anyone to grab it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

revolther posted:

For all the character development discovery is doing, it's doing it in the wrong loving direction. Who the gently caress is robot lady, what happened to robot dude, why does the one chick have an optical implant and always giving the 'skunk eye', there's background characters that they've cribbed from other series but don't want to tell us about.

I'm just about over it, like the last one could have been fun if there wasn't a totally unnecessary romantic subplot for gently caress all reason, you are loving tech hungry space marin----SCIENTISTS, do due diligence when someone says there is a science problem.

And yeah, are they keeping the space whale and it's time control ship/crystal thing that's inside of it? Also why the gently caress would you just let a murderous time hobo off with marriage as punishment? oh hoho marriage is awful it's funny.

Yeah, I'd really like to know more about the bridge crew too, they seem way more interesting. I want more robot lady and officer skunk-eye action.

The romantic subplot may be aimed at ensuring that we have feelings about Ash so that his inevitable betrayal can hurt more. Still a bit awkward.

The only purpose of the marriage is to tie it back to TOS, because OG fans need pandering to.

Also, points to Burnham for at least trying to beam Mudd to the brig on sight, Lorca spent the first cycle staring the guy down like an idiot while he gave his villain monologue. Granted, the computer may have been compromised, but there's no evidence of that in the first cycle.

Engineer TCC is...actually turning out to be pretty cool.

For it's faults, I thought this episode was alright.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

IDK how I feel about "teenage house party with people getting hammered and making out" on a starship but w/e I guess this is New Trek and it ain't my daddy's star trek.

Also lmao at an endagered species list for loving SPACE. A creature too stupid to remember to procreate should be left to go extinct (yeah me and Lorca are in full agreement on that)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
captain gorka made the prisoner guy his head of security for the entire ship after like one day
he probably didnt even check to see if he was actually in starfleet

everybody else on the ship is like "wow he's so put together its almost as if he wasnt' even tortured" :thunk: HMmmmmmmm

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

lotta good points about why that STD ep was bad but honestly i didn't even think of any of them while i was watching, i think ive accepted the kind of show this is and im just enjoying it for what it is - even when it's bad, it's almost always still fun. i don't mean to make excuses for it (i mean hey buds i still quiver with impotent serial killer fury every time i think about how unfuckable the :gowron: women are, i mean i watched house of quark the other day and grillka usually gives me a big honkin rocket but this time all I could picture was that big headed monster mash who raped lt. betrayemsoon and i had to write about it in my failed erection diary) but its been surprisingly easy to look past the many bad choices they've made and enjoy the good parts. it looks amazing and some of the performances are really good. dwight schrute's mudd was great, it totally made the whole episode.

i really wish they didn't make the whole show about michael and let it be a broad focus like all the other treks, but that's the only thing that really really irks me. oh and the way they just let mudd off the hook was a jarringly bad move. but otherwise it was good dumb fun. id rather watch this than like, the walking dead. at least it's fun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm not mad

I'm mudd

That's the exact kind of cheesiness you need every now and then in a Star Trekk show

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
michael burnham is an insanely bad actor

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

just wanna stress how upset i am over the klingon women tho it's extremely important that you all understand this, i can't be held responsible for my actions if you all don't recognize how serious this is

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I'm not mad

I'm mudd

That's the exact kind of cheesiness you need every now and then in a Star Trekk show

lol it was an extremely good line, it felt very trek

The General
Mar 4, 2007

paul_soccer10 posted:

I can't imagine anybody raised by vulcans to be a good actor.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

paul_soccer10 posted:

I really want for her to have contract issues and to hold out on future filming and for them to walk away from the character and Vulcan bullshit and hand the POV role to Testy/Groovy Scientist. They don't have to change poo poo in the scripts either. Leave the love stories intact and Find/Replace every instance of "Sarek" with "The Tardigrade" to cover that soul-linked hokum.

Gatekeeper posted:

just wanna stress how upset i am over the klingon women tho it's extremely important that you all understand this, i can't be held responsible for my actions if you all don't recognize how serious this is
I feel the weight of your pain on this. It would be like me no longer being a freeze-framing lecher every time Ensign Ro Laren scowls her way onto my screen or Tasha Yar's sister starts gunting it up on the bridge right at Data's eye level.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ten-Forward wasn't leisure time. it was the decompression chamber that kept psyches together between the strain of 9 hours shifts in front of the same LCARS panel in a hallway and the death-orgy-bacchanalia of cum-stained knife fights going on in the holodecks.

A banana split and some trumpet sounds just about right to keep ones self centered and grounded between extremes.

It's not the LCARS Screen it's the same exact "boop, boop, boop" sound when you hit different buttons all day long. On every part of the ship. No escape.

Your only refuge for real human contact is a cafeteria which big window manned by know it all alien bartender where Riker occasionally kicks out the jams on his trombone.

It's one thing to live in a culture where self improvement is a premium but having to be forced to watch others try to improve themselves is brutal.

ST:D
:words:

You're trying to armchair write in universe logic in a Voyager thread. Everyone in this thread can and will come up with better ideas.

The biggest mistake in this Star Trek reboot is not giving Harry Mudd his own series.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Facebook Aunt posted:

It wasn't bad, but it might have worked better if they had abandoned mike being the center of the universe and showed this episode from the engineer's perspective. What were those first few iterations like, when he's trying to figure out WTF is going on? How about when he starts trying to recruit help, and finds that his groovy shrooming has cost him nearly all of his credibility and no one will listen? Instead of seeing those things for ourselves, we hear him tell Mike about them. ffff

Agreed, i always like a good groundhog scenario but this was really bad. Seemed like everything happened out of view, there was no suspense, everyone behaved like fools, it was crap.

Also, how loving hard is it for gay guy to tell captain: raise shields, scan spacewhale. He had lots of time if he ignored Michels love issues.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zzulu posted:

I'm not mad

I'm mudd

nah that's the kind of poo poo wordplay i'd expect from a loving superhero comic book

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was great

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I'm not mad

I'm mudd

Hardcore Fenton Mudd.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

say what you want, but that episode was pure trek

I liked the perspective change where the protagonist is not the time-aware person, but tbh the writing and plot could have used that element much, much better. Mudd could be a pretty cool villain and there would have been much more possibility for mystery aka look at some actual good timetravel movies.
As it stands everything was pretty boilerplate, and at the end things move too quickly such that we skip over for example seeing the actual resolution being worked out and everything is just fine cause they run out of script I guess.

so yeah, classic Trek actually

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Crossposting my question from the TV IV Star Trek thread since I don't have access to All Access anymore, are they still going down the Alice in Wonderland retelling route with Discovery? Did the Mad Hatter (Harry Mudd) really get stuck in time?

quote:

The Hatter character, alongside all the other fictional beings, first appears in Lewis Carroll's 1865 novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. In it, the Hatter explains to Alice that he and the March Hare are always having tea because when he tried to sing for the foul-tempered Queen of Hearts, she sentenced him to death for "murdering the time", but he escapes decapitation. In retaliation, time (referred to as a "he" in the novel) halts himself in respect to the Hatter, keeping him and the March Hare stuck at 18:00 (or 6:00 pm) forever.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Also, I don't mind that the crew of the Discovery is more of a gang of teenagers than any Enterprise. The CO is obviously a fuckup in some sense, and everyone knows it. The way he talks, you immediately understand he ain't exactly Picard. Hell, even long-dude is seriously pissed he has to be XO with him, as opposed to an actual good Captain who Michael killed. The CO also seems to get most of his bridge officers by randomly picking them up somewhere, i guess cause no one signs up for that poo poo. Oh and didn't he kidnap his chief engineer?

So you may say: hey, but they have that secret drive and are the most important ship in the Federation. Well that's now, with protagonist magic. Before, Discovery was prolly some sort of drunken idea from some Admiral that no one really took seriously.
Edit: Specifically the Admiral who also likes to assign Captains she bangs to her ships lol
Earlier, Discoveries sister ship blew up and all of Starfleet was like "Meh...", not exactly a crown jewel.

Michael says it herself: If you wanna be Captain, get assigned to a Constitution class. That implies that even though Discovery is now magically the hot poo poo, it's actually not really a high status option conventionally.

So yeah, things make much more sense if you understand that Discovery is basically a midsize town party college with some weird majors where people get drunk, as opposed to Ivy league Constitution classes.

Hence, they party like that, whereas on the Enterprise everyone is all serious and poo poo

k that all

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2017

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hi I'm banned forums User Chicken Shoes/Hillary Clintons Thong and I missed this thread and I cannot wait to catch up on all the STD news

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Hi I'm banned forums User Chicken Shoes/Hillary Clintons Thong and I missed this thread and I cannot wait to catch up on all the STD news

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
do i even want to know?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

caps on caps on caps posted:

Constitution class.

k that all

I thought that this took place way sooner than TOS stuff. So this is concurrent with that era, instead?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Hi I'm banned forums User Chicken Shoes/Hillary Clintons Thong and I [...] cannot wait to catch [...] all the STD[...]s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

do i even want to know?

It's an image from this week's episode of The Orville. The gang lands on Social Media Planet.

Superior trek, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me