Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I know it's dumb to complain about free stuff, and this wouldn't even be an issue if I hadn't spent the last six months celebrating every hangnail or dental procedure (three times each) for a couple dozen people. If I don't want your lovely gas station bouquet, is it really so hard to not buy one? This poo poo should be optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Isn't that crazy office cake thing literally an episode of Seinfeld?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sunshine89 posted:

Isn't that crazy office cake thing literally an episode of Seinfeld?

get well get well soon we want you to get well

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

On one hand I get where you are coming from, but on the other it's just a free cake and drinks, who cares, just say a fake thanks and move on.

Why is this such a thing in offices but not in retail? I was manager for years at a Barnes & Noble and we'd only go out for birthdays outside of work with people we liked like normal human beings. I think the most random thing we did was Fasnacht day and that was just because it was an excuse for everyone to feast on awesome handmade donuts and only because we lived in Lancaster PA

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Aesop Poprock posted:

Alright I guess the broader pet peeve in all of this is "Jesus Christ maybe plan even a little bit before you buy something off Craigslist" but basically, I had a nice antique couch I put up for sale and some woman drove from another state to come get it with her daughter. She came with two small dogs in the SUV for whatever crazy reason. Our driveway is on a steep hill and she parks with the back of the car facing DOWN THE HILL instead of towards the garage at the top. I'm the only guy around and we're struggling to get the drat thing in the car from a down angle cause it's heavy as hell and none of us are particularly strong. The dogs both jump out of the car and run down the street and the teenage daughter is chasing them to get them back. After struggling forever I manage to pull the thing into the car from the inside and wedge it enough that it fits (which is barely, even though she knew how big the thing was). She then slams the hatchback on her daughters head without waiting for her to get out of the way (they were both lifting from the back at that point). Then her car breaks down when she tries to leave. I help jump it out in the street where she got it and she says a light is on saying the brakes need checked. I offered to call a towing company or something and she said she thought they would be ok and took off and I assume they died shortly after

What the gently caress was that :psyduck: was I on some lovely Sam Hyde prank show or something

A while back we replaced a couple of book shelves and put the old ones up on craigslist for a few bucks each (basically just hate doing free because then you get a million replies that lead nowhere). They were about 8ft tall by 4ft wide and the showed up in a Honda Accord sedan to pick them up. I think they ended up having to call a family member with a truck to get them, but when they first pulled up they were completely surprised that we wouldn't be able to fit these things in their car. They weren't even crack heads or anything, just a mom trying to get shelves for her daughter's apartment or something. People are dumb.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

A while back we replaced a couple of book shelves and put the old ones up on craigslist for a few bucks each (basically just hate doing free because then you get a million replies that lead nowhere). They were about 8ft tall by 4ft wide and the showed up in a Honda Accord sedan to pick them up. I think they ended up having to call a family member with a truck to get them, but when they first pulled up they were completely surprised that we wouldn't be able to fit these things in their car. They weren't even crack heads or anything, just a mom trying to get shelves for her daughter's apartment or something. People are dumb.

Are these the same people? The couch was for the daughters apartment in my case too but it wasn’t a sedan. The mom had just completely not planned for any part of it

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Huw Edwards' commentary on Trooping the Colour

"Now, we will take a break from the actual trooping to have an interview with the ensign's sister's mechanic, and Sophie, a waitress from Essex who once made three seconds of eye contact with the Prince of Wales"

Dammit, if I'm committing to watching hours' worth of ancient military pageantry, it's pretty clear I want to watch that, not some nattering colour commentary.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why is this such a thing in offices but not in retail? I was manager for years at a Barnes & Noble and we'd only go out for birthdays outside of work with people we liked like normal human beings. I think the most random thing we did was Fasnacht day and that was just because it was an excuse for everyone to feast on awesome handmade donuts and only because we lived in Lancaster PA

It's the opposite here at our office, as the birthdayperson is expected to organize or bring something in for everyone. When our company was still a bit smaller it was a thing to order treats for everyone in the company (100+ people), but luckily it is dying out a bit and we only get stuff for our floor/team now.

Also, does Lancaster have a high amount of Swiss immigrants? Cause I find it hilarious that somebody would have Fasnacht outside of Switzerland.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

It's the opposite here at our office, as the birthdayperson is expected to organize or bring something in for everyone. When our company was still a bit smaller it was a thing to order treats for everyone in the company (100+ people), but luckily it is dying out a bit and we only get stuff for our floor/team now.

Also, does Lancaster have a high amount of Swiss immigrants? Cause I find it hilarious that somebody would have Fasnacht outside of Switzerland.

The only Swiss immigrant I’ve met in PA is WWE wrestler Cesaro when he was wrestling for Chikara and that was like 2009 in Redding when he was still Claudio Castagnoli. I just figured it was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MightyJoe36 posted:

Bosses Day and Admin Professionals day are my two pet peeves.

My boss probably makes four times what my co-workers and I make, and she's rarely in the office. We're buying her a gift and/or taking her to lunch why?

Our Admin works for the boss, period. She makes that clear whenever you make a request of her. Why are we acting like she works harder than everyone else and taking her to lunch on her "special day"? Shouldn't the boss be doing that?

Just FWIW, "Boss's Day" (which is a thing I've only heard of, never actually seen celebrated) was invented by a woman who worked for her father. She also set the date (October 16th) on her father's birthday.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Ha, quick googling told me that Pennsylvania Dutch doesn't relate to the Netherlands but to german and swiss immigrants. :ms:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

We do birthday-buns in work, you send the junior technician with £25 to the bakery round the corner and they give us the Standard Order with what they know everyone likes. It's a decent low-effort system but we also do engagement buns, promotion buns, baby buns and leaving buns and there is talk about making the guy beside me buy Bought-A-House buns but that might be a joke. Also Back-from-Holiday sweets.

If I wasn't ceoliac I'd be fat af by now, sometimes it's 4/5 days are bun days. And I don't mean like cupcakes it's big heavy pastries, usually with cream somewhere.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Helios Grime posted:

It's the opposite here at our office, as the birthdayperson is expected to organize or bring something in for everyone.

Sounds like when I was in the 4th grade.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Helios Grime posted:

Ha, quick googling told me that Pennsylvania Dutch doesn't relate to the Netherlands but to german and swiss immigrants. :ms:

Pennsylvania resident in exaggerated English: "Wheeere aarrre yoouuuuu frooooom?"
New immigrant in German: 'Deutschland'
Resident: "Oh, Dutch, huh? Neat!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Scrapple is good

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Pennsylvania resident in exaggerated English: "Wheeere aarrre yoouuuuu frooooom?"

Honestly though, the Dutch call themselves Nederlanders from the Nederlands and Germans call themselves Deutsch from Deutchland so I can understand the confusion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

By the standards of American racism, especially back then, they're lucky we even came that close.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pennsylvania Dutch bcame a thing before there was a hard and fast distinction between dutch and germans. We’re talking colonial period.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Scrapple is good

Actual scrapple is. Pennsylvania Dutch savory food of any kind, including srapple, is bland as gently caress

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Tiggum posted:

The journey planner on the Public Transport Victoria website is absolute garbage. Going to Google Maps and selecting the public transit option there gives me better advice than the actual website of the organisation that supposedly runs the whole thing. And who the hell decided that it should default to what time you want to leave rather than what time you want to arrive? Who looks at a timetable thinking "well I don't care when I get there, but I want to leave around 2pm"?

Every goddamn word of this, plus that bug they had for ages where it didn't matter what date and time you put in, it would automatically set it to 12:00am and you'd have to do it a second time.

Also, if you check the "next 5 services" on your mobile, the first couple it just says "departing in X minutes" without also giving a time. No. This is not helpful. Just tell me what time it's leaving. I don't want to have to figure out what time time will be 17 minutes from now when you say it's leaving, I just want to know it's leaving at half past or whatever.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The whole "work as family" thing is a pet peeve I guess. Maybe because it's all such bullshit - "we're all family" but when it comes down to it, your desk is a more valuable resource than you are in that when it's time to make cuts, they'll can your rear end in a heartbeat before they'll start selling off furniture.

I feel like everybody grew up watching M*A*S*H* or something where they think everybody works together and lives together and we're all this big village of people working together or something.

It's not that I actively dislike my co-workers, I just don't really like very many of them all that much and would rather just come in and do my job for the 8 lovely hours I have to be there and not have to act like it's my Home Away from Home and we're all great friends.

tl:dr: Don't make me act like I enjoy being here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whitlam posted:

Every goddamn word of this, plus that bug they had for ages where it didn't matter what date and time you put in, it would automatically set it to 12:00am and you'd have to do it a second time.

Also, if you check the "next 5 services" on your mobile, the first couple it just says "departing in X minutes" without also giving a time. No. This is not helpful. Just tell me what time it's leaving. I don't want to have to figure out what time time will be 17 minutes from now when you say it's leaving, I just want to know it's leaving at half past or whatever.
It's started doing this thing for me where if I start typing my address it appears in the dropdown as a previously searched address, but if I click it and go through the rest of the steps and try to get a timetable it just gives me "unknown error" and I have to go back, delete the suburb so it'll show me the dropdown again and re-select my address. Every time. :psyduck:

MightyJoe36 posted:

I feel like everybody grew up watching M*A*S*H* or something where they think everybody works together and lives together and we're all this big village of people working together or something.
It's not like M*A*S*H is unique in that regard. Basically any workplace sitcom is like that. Look at Parks and Recreation, for example. None of them have any friends outside of work. They only date people they meet at work or work events.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

It's started doing this thing for me where if I start typing my address it appears in the dropdown as a previously searched address, but if I click it and go through the rest of the steps and try to get a timetable it just gives me "unknown error" and I have to go back, delete the suburb so it'll show me the dropdown again and re-select my address. Every time. :psyduck:

It's not like M*A*S*H is unique in that regard. Basically any workplace sitcom is like that. Look at Parks and Recreation, for example. None of them have any friends outside of work. They only date people they meet at work or work events.

I loved how over-the-top that got in Parks and Rec. Anne Perkins dated FOUR people she worked with (Andy*, Mark, Tom, and Chris) and married the last.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm p sure there's a certain amount of truth in that trope tho, my parents work for the government and their offices are all incesty af. Where else did you meet new people before the internet?

Really fun when the married ones start cheating on eachother with other office people too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teenytinymouse posted:

Where else did you meet new people before the internet?
Neighbours. Social clubs. Sports. Pubs. Friends of friends. Your kids' school. Public events.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arranged through your religious community sight unseen.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Neighbours. Social clubs. Sports. Pubs. Friends of friends. Your kids' school. Public events.

I wonder how many of these would just confuse kids now. Like saying “I met your mother during a Bridge game” or “fondue party” would probably be so confusing

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tiggum posted:

At least with M*A*S*H, it made sense. It wasn't work, but the army in the middle of a war. You don't get that kind of closeness in a regular job.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I like 99 Percent Invisible but not Roman Mars's voice.

Given that I've also been annoyed by Mike Birbiglia, the Regular Car Reviews guy and J.G. Quintel, maybe I just don't like that particular American accent?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Whiz Palace posted:

I like 99 Percent Invisible but not Roman Mars's voice.

Given that I've also been annoyed by Mike Birbiglia, the Regular Car Reviews guy and J.G. Quintel, maybe I just don't like that particular American accent?

I don't mind his voice, but I do hate his cadence.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate how lovely young people job apps/interviews require you to pretend that you're hella enthusiastic about x company. I'm not a good fit for Burger Shack or Clothing Outlet, and I'm not excited to work there, and the manager knows that a bunch of high school and college students do not want to work this lovely low wage job with poo poo hours. "I really need a job, I'll show up, I'm not an idiot" should really be the only thing you need to say. No one buys into the charade.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Brawnfire posted:

I loved how over-the-top that got in Parks and Rec. Anne Perkins dated FOUR people she worked with (Andy*, Mark, Tom, and Chris) and married the last.

Well, to be fair, her dating Andy had nothing to do with working with him. And she dated Mark before she worked part-time at City Hall so he doesn't count either. Actually Mark is an example of someone Anne met outside of her own work (as a nurse) through a friend. You're right about Tom and Chris though.
You are correct that some shows do go over-the-top about workplace relationships but it's not too surprising that connections and relationships form among people who spend most of their time together doing the same thing. But anyone should re-think your life if your only friends are people that you work with.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I wonder how many of these would just confuse kids now. Like saying “I met your mother during a Bridge game” or “fondue party” would probably be so confusing

They'd probably think "fondue party" was a euphemism for some kind of orgy or swinger's party.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

MightyJoe36 posted:

They'd probably think "fondue party" was a euphemism for some kind of orgy or swinger's party.

It was.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

A sex and cheese party sound p good why did they even die out?? what's the catch??

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teenytinymouse posted:

A sex and cheese party sound p good why did they even die out?? what's the catch??

everyone is old and cheese is uh... probably not a great thing smell wise when combined with age and sex

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

everyone is old and cheese is uh... probably not a great thing smell wise when combined with age and sex

Ok so old people OR old cheese but not both, gotcha

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate how lovely young people job apps/interviews require you to pretend that you're hella enthusiastic about x company. I'm not a good fit for Burger Shack or Clothing Outlet, and I'm not excited to work there, and the manager knows that a bunch of high school and college students do not want to work this lovely low wage job with poo poo hours. "I really need a job, I'll show up, I'm not an idiot" should really be the only thing you need to say. No one buys into the charade.

"What made you want to work for our company?"

"...Yours was the first one to call me..?"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's a ritual that shows you are willing to kneel before The Man for money. Means you will make a better wage slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

It was the brandied chocolate fondue and wineglass-necklace parties you had to look out for. Next thing you know, there's a guy in a marching band jacket pulling out a hookah and we all know where it goes from there.