Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I grew up on the poor side of camping culture. My childhood home was in a seasonal retiree trailer park, and my mom was what would now get called a work camper, in various jobs , cleaning , mowing, and eventually the office. They still live in a low end retiree park in Florida. These types of retiree camps have a culture very different from trailer parks of other types. The culture change in them as the WWII generation died off was sad to watch too. They used to put on vaudeville shows!

There can also be a huge class diversity in these places. Think $1000 dollar rvs and trailers in the same parks as $500,000 RVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard people start to call any sort of camping trimp "glamping" if like, you have a car and a tent and maybe there's a shower at the camp site. Basically anything other than making your own shelter out of pine needles in the middle of the woods in winter is now "glamping". Did you have fun on your camping trip? Did you have food you liked to eat and drinks you liked to drink? Congrats, you went glamping now. And there's companies that will give you a little van with standard camping gear and send you to a standard camp site and market the whole thing as glamping too :(

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Baronjutter posted:

I've heard people start to call any sort of camping trimp "glamping" if like, you have a car and a tent and maybe there's a shower at the camp site. Basically anything other than making your own shelter out of pine needles in the middle of the woods in winter is now "glamping". Did you have fun on your camping trip? Did you have food you liked to eat and drinks you liked to drink? Congrats, you went glamping now. And there's companies that will give you a little van with standard camping gear and send you to a standard camp site and market the whole thing as glamping too :(

I feel like the current outdoor zeitgeist has come back around to folks having to "conquer the wilderness" again, and if you're doing anything to not go full on backcountry or getting muddy you're a hack. I grew up near the Delaware Water Gap Natural Recreation Area, as well as a number of state parks in PA and NJ. All of which are about 1-1.5 hours outside of New York City and Philly. I've been hiking and camping around there for nearly three decades at this point. Over the past 15-20 years or so I've seen a huge shift from casual campers/hikers towards urbanites coming out to the woods to prove themselves or whatever. Like, instead of a quiet hike in the woods, you now have to do Extreme Trail Running or Mountain-Bike-Everything. I was recently out at a state park that is a super accessible and easy hike, and I had a couple dudes on expensive mountain bikes ask me to take their picture, telling me to make sure I got a good shot of how muddy they were. Like, congrats on going out of your way to speed through puddles, I guess? It's the same kind of absurdity behind tough mudders/Spartan races, etc.

So yeah, I can see someone with little "organic" exposure to the outdoors getting sold a van rental and a tent as "glamping".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you can't be the unquestioned greatest at recreation, then really what is the point?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i walk around the bush naked but for my steel-capped boots and everywhere i go i build habitats for reptiles and small mammals. in return for my kindness the bush doesn't savage my nude flesh, nor do the insects drink my blood, nor the fierce sun burn me

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

the old ceremony posted:

i walk around the bush naked but for my steel-capped boots and everywhere i go i build habitats for reptiles and small mammals. in return for my kindness the bush doesn't savage my nude flesh, nor do the insects drink my blood, nor the fierce sun burn me

That's not because of the habitats there's just a portrait of you on a cave wall somewhere getting more hosed up over time.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Or within a 90 minute drive of a hot and trendy downtown area, a place you have lived your entire life and cannot afford to move away from.

Where are you California?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I think people that are 'into' camping are really vocal about doing lovely gatekeeping stuff to the point people don't even want to say they went camping and get an angry lecture how they weren't REAL camping to the point people just made up a newer dumber word to avoid even saying it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think people that are 'into' camping are really vocal about doing lovely gatekeeping stuff to the point people don't even want to say they went camping and get an angry lecture how they weren't REAL camping to the point people just made up a newer dumber word to avoid even saying it.

Yeah this is true
"We drove up island and parked at campsites along the way to camp and cook over a fire"
pfft that wasn't camping, you slept in your car!
"We took the subaru and my dad's old tent trailer camping for the weekend off some remote old logging roads"
pfft that wasn't camping, you had a tent trailer, that's practically an RV!
"Got a new tent and stove, had a great camping weekend"
pfft you'd never be able to lug all that luxury gear yourself, unloading your toys from your trunk is called car-camping and it's NOT real camping!!
"Did a 2 day hike to get to this amazing camp site, had to pack super light so no tent and we caught a fish for dinner"
pfft you had modern hiking boots and waterproof clothing? It's not camping unless you spend a month building up your technology base from a stone age level like that "primitive technology" youtube guy!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I went to The Summit last week in lexington. Its basically that SoDoSoPa thing from south park brought to life this year. I ate a $12 bowl of ramen that folks insisted I check out because some dude who was on masterchef ran the place. It was incredibly depressing, and only half full (the empty store fronts are covered in fake storefront renderings like a replica film town). Why the gently caress did they build this. Its like if Hamburg (another poo poo strip mall area on the other side of town) and Safety City hosed and had an awful, stupid child.

Also the parking is insanely bad.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 31, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If anyone has an empty retail situation just sort-of legalize pot and watch every single empty storefront quickly become a pot shop!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Baronjutter posted:

If anyone has an empty retail situation just sort-of legalize pot and watch every single empty storefront quickly become a pot shop!

I can't say that has worked or not, because the only places I've been with legal cannabis have been on the West Coast, where real estate is still in short supply.

Are you from the East Coast? I am assuming you are because you say "pot"?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

glowing-fish posted:

I can't say that has worked or not, because the only places I've been with legal cannabis have been on the West Coast, where real estate is still in short supply.

Are you from the East Coast? I am assuming you are because you say "pot"?

That dude's from British Columbia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BC does not have legal pot but some cities have ordered police to not stop or raid shops selling it. In Victoria downtown has gotten dozens and dozens of them that sprang up like weeds. Almost every single block of every single street will have a pot shop. At first they had to frost their windows but they dropped that so they look like nice normal stores now. It's actually been fairly great for filling in some of the voids downtown. But it's gotten to the point where they are so profitable that they no longer just fit them selves into long-vacant retail spaces in dirty old buildings with desperate landlords, they've become legitimate and profitable enough that most owners will lease to them and now the local retail scene complains their little book store or 2nd hand clothing shop can't compete with the pot shops and it's driving up rents. They also apparently aren't regulated or taxed properly since they exist in a legal gray area which gets a lot of local retail owners super pissed. Your soup and salad place had to go through miles of red tape and expensive licenses and inspections, but that new edibles and raw bar apparently opened without even a business license??

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You can't swing a cat in Denver without hitting a dispensary.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Noctone posted:

More dispensaries per square mile than liquor stores.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Gaghskull posted:

More dispensaries per square mile than liquor stores.

Not surprising, especially with the byzantine and restrictive liquor laws here.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

Not surprising, especially with the byzantine and restrictive liquor laws here.

Considering the laws are actually on the side of more liquor stores (since no supermarket or C-store can sell real beer) it's an even more insane stat

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

call to action posted:

Considering the laws are actually on the side of more liquor stores (since no supermarket or C-store can sell real beer) it's an even more insane stat

Well, yes and no. Limiting business entities to one license has to have a depressive effect on the number of liquor stores (although to what extent I don't know).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Noctone posted:

Ah, in Washington State, where I lived, it was really limited (but not in a bad way). Like Vancouver, Washington with a population of 180,000 people has 18 stores total. (Some of which are under the same management). Like each store is big and organized and they look well run. Like its concentrated in a few locations, rather than anyone being able to open a marijuana store on the corner.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

Ah, in Washington State, where I lived, it was really limited (but not in a bad way). Like Vancouver, Washington with a population of 180,000 people has 18 stores total. (Some of which are under the same management). Like each store is big and organized and they look well run. Like its concentrated in a few locations, rather than anyone being able to open a marijuana store on the corner.

I'd suggest that might have something to do with the hard limit on the total number of retail licenses granted by the WA Liquor and Cannabis Board, as well as the per-city/county limits

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We just call it "car camping" and leave it at that.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is true
"We drove up island and parked at campsites along the way to camp and cook over a fire"
pfft that wasn't camping, you slept in your car!
"We took the subaru and my dad's old tent trailer camping for the weekend off some remote old logging roads"
pfft that wasn't camping, you had a tent trailer, that's practically an RV!
"Got a new tent and stove, had a great camping weekend"
pfft you'd never be able to lug all that luxury gear yourself, unloading your toys from your trunk is called car-camping and it's NOT real camping!!
"Did a 2 day hike to get to this amazing camp site, had to pack super light so no tent and we caught a fish for dinner"
pfft you had modern hiking boots and waterproof clothing? It's not camping unless you spend a month building up your technology base from a stone age level like that "primitive technology" youtube guy!

This is kind of coming full circle i.e. "heh, you brought a tent and stove and sleeping bag for your trip, my uncle who works at nintendo totally did whole thing as a trail run in 6 hours and slept in their car at the trailhead the night before!

That being said this sort of dickery hasn't really been my experience with people who are into camping/backpacking, and if anything the people who I've come across that are actually super hardcore into it are extremely encouraging and positive regardless of your skill, comfort level, or preferences. Most of the hiking / camping / climbing online communities are the same way and come down pretty hard on that kind of dickwaving / no-true-outdoorsman nonsense. I mean, anyone who actually does go backpacking more than a couple times a year can probably appreciate cooking real food, having proper shits, being able to dry clothes, and oh god a shower.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 1, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I find it's regional. When I backpacked in Florida growing up it was very dry ramen noodles smeared with lard to get the flavor packet to stick, bags of instant mash to thicken literally everything cooked sort of a vibe.

The northwest seems to have a very different atmosphere and way more specialized retail for it. Now I only get to hike the first half hour of any trail anyway. Edit: because 4 year old

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Morbus posted:

my uncle who works at nintendo totally whole thing as a trail run in 6 hours and slept in their car at the trailhead the night before!

Have you been to North Bend? WAs most popular trail head is less than 5 miles from thier distribution center.

I see these people. Shirtless down the trail at full sprint, with dog, leaving little bags of dog poo poo everywhere.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I just loaded up a cart full to the top with my monthly grocery shopping at Meijer. I got to the front of the store to checkout and only the self checkout lanes were open. I asked the guy working up front if I could have a regular lane opened up and he flat out refused. If he'd offered to help me with the self checkout, especially the produce part I'd have stayed. But no. I told him I was leaving and he'd have to have all my items put back. He was OK with that. This was at 6:00 AM on a Saturday. Is this just how it is now?

I can use a self checkout obviously but I don't feel like I should have to. The checkouts at this store are notoriously unreliable with scale issues. Maybe this explains why I was only one of two customers in the entire store.

Am I being unreasonable or does retail just want to hang itself?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

That particular employee just sucked i think

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Sylink posted:

That particular employee just sucked i think

low wage no benefit part time work seems to have that effect, yes

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Snorkzilla posted:

I just loaded up a cart full to the top with my monthly grocery shopping at Meijer. I got to the front of the store to checkout and only the self checkout lanes were open. I asked the guy working up front if I could have a regular lane opened up and he flat out refused. If he'd offered to help me with the self checkout, especially the produce part I'd have stayed. But no. I told him I was leaving and he'd have to have all my items put back. He was OK with that. This was at 6:00 AM on a Saturday. Is this just how it is now?

I can use a self checkout obviously but I don't feel like I should have to. The checkouts at this store are notoriously unreliable with scale issues. Maybe this explains why I was only one of two customers in the entire store.

If you're too much of a Luddite to operate basic self checkout machines then you probably shouldn't go grocery shopping at 6am on Saturday mornings. You're lucky the shop was even open, nevermind having staff available to handhold you through a very simple process.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
8 bucks an hour is way too little to care about some idiot who did his monthly grocery shopping at 6 in the morning

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

8 bucks an hour is way too little to care about some idiot who did his monthly grocery shopping at 6 in the morning

Paid enough to show up, not enough to care.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I mean he could just be under orders niit to open any regular lines before a certain time. I don't know if you know this but a lot of people try to do their job well regardless of pay

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snorkzilla posted:

Am I being unreasonable?

Yes

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
"The customer is always right" is probably one of the most harmful myths floating around out there

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

"The customer is always right" is probably one of the most harmful myths floating around out there

The best thing you can do as a person is tell some unhinged jackass to shut up when they're doing it.

I do it every time I see someone berating someone at a retail store

It's probably happened like 3 times it still feels good

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Snorkzilla posted:

Am I being unreasonable

Not at all. Self checkouts are mostly passable for a handful of items but I can’t imagine putting an entire cart through one of those garbage machines, I’d have walked out too. More than likely it’s the fault of the business rather than the employee but not your problem.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Snorkzilla posted:

No you're not being unreasonable. Why should you provide free labor to Meijer just to save the company some money?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ozmunkeh posted:

Not at all. Self checkouts are mostly passable for a handful of items but I can’t imagine putting an entire cart through one of those garbage machines, I’d have walked out too. More than likely it’s the fault of the business rather than the employee but not your problem.

Yeah, I'll never understand the places where the self checkout aisles aren't only 10 and under aisles. Trying to run a cart full of items thru them is just annoying and I actually like self checkout.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SimonCat posted:

No you're not being unreasonable. Why should you provide free labor to Meijer just to save the company some money?

Why should Meijer provide extra service just to save him some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why should Meijer provide extra service just to save him some time

Because they are a corporation and they will lose business by not saving him time. You've taken a very odd stance where you seem to think the customer owes something to the corporation.