Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just bought this guy:

1996 NA8 with 129,000 on the clock. The best part is there is zero rust. Lived most of its life in Florida. Recently refreshed to get running. Interior and paint have seen better days.

What things should I check right away? Any vulnerability I should know about? I mostly want to get it reliable... for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heater hoses, timing belt, radiator, plugs and wires.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fenders are like leaf traps, you can unscrew the bottom two or three bolts on them and lift them away from the body and see all the debris that falls out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Heater hoses, timing belt, radiator, plugs and wires.

And rebuild the shifter (and fill the turret).

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Blaise posted:

And rebuild the shifter (and fill the turret).

And replace the clutch slave and master cylinders. It's only $25 for both of them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone with an ND want these sweet floor covers for $100?

They are these:
https://www.carbonmiata.com/shop/mazda-mx-5/floor-mats-quilted-design-3/

I just put a set in my NA and they look amazing.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there an AI-approved method for repairing the stitching around an NB glass rear window cloth top? Mine is separating the stitching along the top, I think because I've been driving around a lot with the top up and the windows down. Most of the solutions I've read online basically amount to using some sort of glue, tape or sealant to reconnect the thin fabric lining around the window with the rest of the cloth top, and then resewing that sealed part with a thin awl and some strong thread. The products recommended are always different, though. I've contacted all the convertible repair places in my area (Sarasota) and no one will repair it, they will only consider replacement, and gently caress that noise.

This is the method I like the best so far:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=391449

Any advice would be appreciated. It doesn't need to be a very long-term solution, because I'll be selling the NB soon.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there an AI-approved method for repairing the stitching around an NB glass rear window cloth top? Mine is separating the stitching along the top, I think because I've been driving around a lot with the top up and the windows down. Most of the solutions I've read online basically amount to using some sort of glue, tape or sealant to reconnect the thin fabric lining around the window with the rest of the cloth top, and then resewing that sealed part with a thin awl and some strong thread. The products recommended are always different, though. I've contacted all the convertible repair places in my area (Sarasota) and no one will repair it, they will only consider replacement, and gently caress that noise.

Any advice would be appreciated. It doesn't need to be a very long-term solution, because I'll be selling the NB soon.

I put some construction staples into mine and used needle nose pliers to push the barbs down flat. It sounds pretty ghetto but worked surprisingly well.

Holds water!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

I tried repairing it 3 times over with various glues... I ended up just putting a top on it. They're so cheap it wasn't worth the pain. Just my experience (NA plastic window).

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 6, 2020

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winter tires or summer tires? Winter tires I wouldn't give it a second thought, summer tires makes it odd. My thought if it was summer tires was it getting driven hard enough to crack alloys and then getting dumped after who knows what stress on the drivetrain. Steel winter wheels are a pretty common thing to not ruin your performance wheels and you're not trying to performance drive in the winter so the cheapest option usually makes sense.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 28, 2017

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

Winter tires or summer tires? Winter tires I wouldn't give it a second thought, summer tires makes it odd. My thought if it was summer tires was it getting driven hard enough to crack alloys and then getting dumped after who knows what stress on the drivetrain. Steel winter wheels are a pretty common thing to not ruin your performance wheels and you're not trying to performance drive in the winter so the cheapest option usually makes sense.
Uh, what? I wouldn't touch any Miata with winter tires/steelies on it unless it was garbage tier pricing. You're way better off finding OEM Miata wheels that might not be a match for your year/package than that.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well obviously there's the rust problem, but if it's not rusty I wouldn't worry about it. If you have some rust then you probably want alloys because steel wheels are going to make someone check more carefully for it and be suspicious of more that they can't find. I see a lot of Miatas with winter steel wheels though.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

sirr0bin posted:

And replace the clutch slave and master cylinders. It's only $25 for both of them.

Holy crap, I've been stressing about the poor state of my slave cylinder and lines ever since I pulled the engine, I had no idea it was so cheap!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They're both super cheap and very easy to swap.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just put on my winter wheels:

gently caress steelies!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Got mine ready for winter too.

Don't worry I'll actually be working on it using all the suggestions above.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Shai-Hulud posted:

I just put on my winter wheels:

gently caress steelies!

Pants are tightening

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Horsepower? Where we're going we don't need Horsepower.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 30, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... actually, make sure you find a train to push you up to speed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mobby_6kl posted:

When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... You're going to see some serious poo poo.

*Transmission explodes*

Fixed

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What would be the most likely cause of a power drop between 2000 and 3000 rpm? I've noticed a few times driving lately that there seems to be a slight dip in power right around there as I accelerate and then it drives as normal. Today there was a serious blip and what could possibly be described at sputtering as I was pulling out of my parking garage and then normal driving after that. 94m manual with 140k miles.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Timing and temperature? I once got a car that was 18 degrees advanced and it seemed to fall down in that middle range but only while warm.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Well I'm not exactly sure what the timing is, it was stock and then I had to take off the Crank Angle Sensor. I tried to put it back exactly in the orientation it was in (i made some marks but they werent as clear as they should have been. The weather was about 50 today.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Greetings gays. As the proud lesbian owner of two and a half Subarus, one of which is kind of fast, I've decided I want to try some track stuff and my initial plan of getting an STI is a bit steep of an investment, and I'll probably learn a lot more with an underpowered light RWD car. So I'll stray to the other side of the :rory: aisle and try a Miata. It's amazing to me that all other light rwd cars have skyrocketed in value but Miatas are still very affordable.

Anyway, what's a good place to start reading about them? NA a good generation? I see a ton of them around for not much money. Big things to avoid? I have a full compliment of tools and a lift at my disposal. Also, what other gay cars should I buy?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

i own every Bionicle posted:

Greetings gays. As the proud lesbian owner of two and a half Subarus, one of which is kind of fast, I've decided I want to try some track stuff and my initial plan of getting an STI is a bit steep of an investment, and I'll probably learn a lot more with an underpowered light RWD car. So I'll stray to the other side of the :rory: aisle and try a Miata. It's amazing to me that all other light rwd cars have skyrocketed in value but Miatas are still very affordable.

Anyway, what's a good place to start reading about them? NA a good generation? I see a ton of them around for not much money. Big things to avoid? I have a full compliment of tools and a lift at my disposal. Also, what other gay cars should I buy?

Buy my car. (I'm serious)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Buy my car. (I'm serious)

Me too. (Very serious)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok send me CL ads or something you dorks

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I have it on my computer at home.

Short list:
- 1994 A package car
- OE hardtop
- NB2 motor swap w/ RB header and EUDM intake
- Fatcat Motorsports coilovers (Bilsteins valved to 600#/375#)
- RB tubular front bar
- 1.6L dash
- TSE 11.75" BBK (Wilwood Dynalite calipers)
- 4.1 Torsen rear
- Hard Dog Single Diagonal bar

Comes with a shitload of goodies such as:
- Sadfab delrin bushings
- 6 speed
- Mazdaspeed rear bar (14mm)
- MSLabs Megasquirt 3 basic
- a bunch of new parts (like front damper/pulley)
- a bunch of old parts (original cat, the VTCS manifold)
- a Kia Sportage 4x4 front diff (4.77 ring and pinion)

The car runs, but it is a project car.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
His car is almost the car I'd build with unlimited time to build cars. The only thing I'd have done differently is aftermarket connecting rods.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

What are your current Subies and why are they not eligible for the first few track days you do?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

It's 1999 Miata, 5-speed and white. It's got 175k miles and it's basically stock all the way around. I have added an aftermarket stereo and bigger door speakers. The top is functional, but should probably be replaced soon. It's been super reliable, even serving as a daily driver for about a year.

Located in Charlotte, NC.

edit: Sold.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 15, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

How tall are you?

If you're under 6', pretty much any track-prepped 89-05 miata is good to go.

Things you need:
Roll-over protection with SFI padding
Race Seat (braced if not FIA rated), bonus points if buying car with halo seat
6-pt harness WITH CORRECT HARNESS ANGLES (I had a very hard time with my Blackbird SD bar to get a zero or negative shoulder harness angle)
Helmet (duh), HANS
possibly a removable wheel depending on your height

Good to have:
Good brake pads
Good Tires and wheels (15x8 usually)
Good alignment
Good suspension
Torsen LSD (Standard on 94+)

Should cost $5k or less. Stay away from forced induction or other such things.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 2, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'd say find whatever local racing groups are around and inquire about Spec Miatas for sale - non-Nationals-level cars are often in the 5k range, and are by definition already prepped to a basic level, will have a ready knowledge base on suspension settings, and will probably have OK resale value compared to something that is prepped to "random trackday mods" spec.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'd say find whatever local racing groups are around and inquire about Spec Miatas for sale - non-Nationals-level cars are often in the 5k range, and are by definition already prepped to a basic level, will have a ready knowledge base on suspension settings, and will probably have OK resale value compared to something that is prepped to "random trackday mods" spec.

Dunno about 'often,' I've been trying to find one and the lowest-spec ones I can find are around 6k. There's also the risky prospect of having to resell a race-only vehicle, whereas a 'random trackday mod' car can be sold to the local bro crowd pretty easily as well.

Oh yeah, don't buy one with a bolt-in cage. That's been a feature that I've found to be quite common in Sub $8k builds.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Blaise posted:

Dunno about 'often,' I've been trying to find one and the lowest-spec ones I can find are around 6k. There's also the risky prospect of having to resell a race-only vehicle, whereas a 'random trackday mod' car can be sold to the local bro crowd pretty easily as well.

Oh yeah, don't buy one with a bolt-in cage. That's been a feature that I've found to be quite common in Sub $8k builds.

There's people that parked NAs. Have to get to where you're asking around. Maybe I'm spoiled by being near one of the major builders though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Blaise posted:

How tall are you?

If you're under 6', pretty much any track-prepped 89-05 miata is good to go.

Things you need:
Roll-over protection with SFI padding
Race Seat (braced if not FIA rated), bonus points if buying car with halo seat
6-pt harness
Helmet (duh), HANS
possibly a removable wheel depending on your height

Good to have:
Good brake pads
Good Tires and wheels (15x8 usually)
Good alignment
Good suspension
Torsen LSD (Standard on 94+)

Should cost $5k or less. Stay away from forced induction or other such things.

This is not a bad list, but I'd be surprised to see 15x8's these days - everyone is running 15x9's or larger around here.

Super bonus points if you find one with xidas already, that's what you really want suspension wise.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Put decent tires on it, good brake pads and have fun. The other non-safety stuff won't really be appreciated until you have some experience.

15x8 with a 205 street tire like the Star Spec II or similar is good. For brake pads Hawk HT-10s are what I use. Don't buy a car that doesn't have a LSD, although with a lift the swap isn't really that hard.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 2, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

This is not a bad list, but I'd be surprised to see 15x8's these days - everyone is running 15x9's or larger around here.

Super bonus points if you find one with xidas already, that's what you really want suspension wise.

15x9 is for 225s which is really for a higher power car. More options in 205/50 as well and opens up more race-take-off tires as well. I was assuming stock power levels. It also requires running a coilover setup to clear.

Agreed on the xida super-bonus-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for all the help guys. My current cars are a Legacy GT wagon with a built motor and VF 52 and an 09 OBS as a winter beater. The LGT is a great daily/sleeper that is fun on back roads and road trips. It's also pretty clean and is making enough power for me to worry about the transmission if I really beat on it, and the brakes will probably cook after a couple laps. All in all it's perfect for what I built it for which is a quick, fun, and mature daily, and if I want a track car I want to flog it mercilessly. So it really just makes a lot more sense to get something that I'm not afraid to abuse that cost less than just the motor did on my Legacy. It also helps that two of my friends have track Miatas and another one is threatening to buy one.

I also have everything I need to weld in (or even build) a cage at my disposal.

I'd love to have the car still be driveable on the street and I'd like to get into it for about 5k. Is that reasonable? Is it advisable to get a 2-3k example with ~150,000 on it and put in a cage and upgrade the brakes myself?

My goal with this car would not be to be competitive in anything really, just to have fun and learn how to drive well.

I'm in NH FWIW.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 2, 2017