Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Would something like this actually make the US government do something about bitcoin? Could the government essentially ban all banks and businesses from handling cryptocurrency? Even if they could, I kind of doubt our current government would actually do anything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most banks already pretty much ban bitcoin activity on sight, except in very limited cases like the poster earlier who was helping a customer cash out.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Happy Halloween! Have a spooky derail bird!

Also, here is some BWM: https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/794hj1/tifu_by_panic_buying_almost_1000_worth_of_concert/

quote:

TIFU by panic buying almost £1,000 worth of concert tickets

This did happen today and I am trying not to think about it because thinking about it is making me lightheaded and nauseous.

Today started great. I got up early and went for a run, came home and had a nice breakfast.

My plans for this evening were to enjoy a rare solo night in, with a couple of beers, carving my pumpkin for Halloween and listening to stuff my husband hates but I love so I never get to listen to it.

I don't have to work this weekend; I'm going to a Halloween party on Saturday night and to watch the Wickerman at the cinema on Sunday. A lovely spooky weekend I thought.

Everyone I know is a massive Flight of the Conchords fan so we were all super excited when we heard they were coming to the UK on tour, especially my husband who said he would pay anything to go.

Tickets were due to go on sale this morning but I'd forgotten until I was pulling up outside work that they had gone on sale.

My sister rang me super excited and I started freaking out that we would miss them. I ran to my desk, switched on my PC and waited an agonisingly long time for it to start up.

I finally got it fired up and clicked the link for Leeds Arena - but of course they had already sold out. Gutted. But I was still in panic mode and adrenaline was pumping. I wasn't going to be beaten.

I googled where to get tickets and Stubhub came up. I haven't used it before so I didn't realise it was one of these sites where people buy tickets and then sell them on for hugely ramped up prices.

Stubhub had four tickets on the eighth row for £150 each. Bum clenchingly expensive but my panic addled brain rationalised that if I bought them on my credit card we could pay in instalments and it would definitely be affordable, especially for such great seats.

I selected four tickets and the amount came up - £750. This included £100 in service fees and £20 in tax.

By this point I was maniacally texting everyone asking what they wanted to do. Nobody was coming back to me and the countdown clock was putting me under pressure to buy these amazing seats. gently caress it I thought. I pressed buy.
I texted everyone to let them know what I'd done, thinking they would all agree £180 (including the charges) was A LOT, but * It's affordable if we pay monthly * It's only money * We've been desperate to see them for years * life is for living.
Nope.

Four people who'd previously said they wanted to go flat out refused and said I was mental.

And my husband, who remember had told me he would pay anything to go, rang me shouting 'WTF have you done?'

It turns out "anything" actually means the face value of the tickets.

As the day is wearing on, the reality of what I have done has been slowly sinking in. The only time I have ever spent this much money in one go was on my car and my house.

To top it all off, I paid for the tickets on our joint credit card which we've been trying to pay off for months and months so we can save to move house.

I've relisted them on Stubhub but because of the astronomical fees I have had to hike up the price even more, just to break even. I don't know how this stuff works but I imagine the more time goes by, the less likely I am to be able to sell them.

So now I am stuck with almost a grand's worth of Flight of the Conchord tickets which nobody wants and my chilled out Halloween weekend is ruined because I am having constant intrusive thoughts about what the gently caress am I going to do with these tickets.

TL;DR - I need to chill the gently caress out when trying to buy concert tickets

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Always ask for the money up front, or get your friend to buy them from stubhub and pay them back.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

Surely £1000 of drugs is far less of a waste of money than this

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Meh as other posters mentioned at least she can sell them at a small loss now to minimize the hurt. Eating 200 pounds now is a hell of a lot better than eating 500 later beause people know she's desperate.

Fortunately they're a big enough band where I imagine she will be okay but god drat I would be pissed if I was her husband because slowly chipping away at debt is such hard work and being set back can be devastating. Such naive optimism. "It's only money."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least you can probably flip drugs for the same amount. And then you can get involved with the pinnacle of GWM: Bitcoin!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
From Reddit, the font of infinite content...

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7a4oaf/i_gross_almost_13000month_and_it_seems_like_i/

I gross almost $13,000/month and it seems like I rarely have any money.

You would think I could "make it rain" with my salary but I can't. When people hear how much I make, they think I'm super rich. We live in a modest home, I drive a modest truck. The wife has a SUV. In reality, I get about half of that money because

A. Taxes are a bitch

B. I put 15% into my 401K

C. My family insurance is $800/month

You can also add $1,400/month for child support because I was married before and had two children. I remarried to a woman who had a child from a previous marriage whom I adopted, and we have two together. Our mortgage+home insurance is $1,400. My wife's vehicle note is $700. Luckily mine is paid off. Private school tuition for 2 kids is $1,000/month. Add in food, electricity, cell phones, car insurance and other odds and ends(soccer, dance), we're lucky to have a couple hundred dollars left over. We rarely eat out, don't have all the latest gadgets. Wife stays at home with the baby so she's unable to work(and daycare costs are outrageous).

I don't know why I'm posting this. I guess to vent. Maybe someone could point me in any direction, or words of encouragement?

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 1, 2017

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Drunk Tomato posted:

You would think I could "make it rain" with my salary but I can't. When people hear how much I make, they think I'm super rich. We live in a modest home, I drive a modest truck. The wife has a SUV. In reality, I get about half of that money because

A. Taxes are a bitch

You can also add $1,400/month for child support because I was married before and had two children. I remarried to a woman who had a child from a previous marriage whom I adopted, and we have two together. Our mortgage+home insurance is $1,400. My wife's vehicle note is $700. Luckily mine is paid off. Private school tuition for 2 kids is $1,000/month. Add in food, electricity, cell phones, car insurance and other odds and ends(soccer, dance), we're lucky to have a couple hundred dollars left over. We rarely eat out, don't have all the latest gadgets. Wife stays at home with the baby so she's unable to work(and daycare costs are outrageous).

I don't know why I'm posting this. I guess to vent. Maybe someone could point me in any direction, or words of encouragement?

"I live in a nice house, have two late model expensive vehicles, will have a comfortable retirement, well educated kids that will take care of me in old age, and I support my family and my ex-wife on a single income. Woe is me"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"Here's my budget, help my family is dying."

"Buy less privilege."

"No."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Talk about first world problems!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Here's another first world problem for ya

Why go through all the trouble of copying and pasting everything, throwing in some formatting and all that, while forgetting to include a link to the actual post? Reading others' replies (and op's responses) is often the real meat of those posts

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Why go through all the trouble of copying and pasting everything, throwing in some formatting and all that, while forgetting to include a link to the actual post? Reading others' replies (and op's responses) is often the real meat of those posts

Here you go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7a4oaf/i_gross_almost_13000month_and_it_seems_like_i/

code:
Gross pay(semi monthly)- $6,430
Net pay(after 401k, insurance)- $3,360
Monthly net- $6,720
Child Support-$1,400
Mortgage- $1,400
Vehicle- $700
Car insurance- $200
Private School- $1,000
Electricity-$250
Water-$50
Cable(TV,Internet)-$200
Cell- $150
Food- $700
Soccer-$50
Dance- $100
Gas-$200
That leaves us with around $300

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

e:f;b

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Droo posted:

Here you go.

code:
Gross pay(semi monthly)- $6,430
Net pay(after 401k, insurance)- $3,360
Monthly net- $6,720
Child Support-$1,400
Mortgage- $1,400
Vehicle- $700
Car insurance- $200
Private School- $1,000
Electricity-$250
Water-$50
Cable(TV,Internet)-$200
Cell- $150
Food- $700
Soccer-$50
Dance- $100
Gas-$200
That leaves us with around $300

Oh wow look how much my life sucks

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Drunk Tomato posted:

A. Taxes are a bitch

Isn't the 401k limit $18,000 per year? That's what google tells me. 15% of $13,000 is $23,400 for the year, so that's $5,400 I just saved this guy. Unless he's counting 401k plus Roth IRA, I think that would cover both. Again though, if his employer matches anything at all into his 401k, he could be putting in less money per month. He may actually be hurting himself there. I had a boss who was trying to max out his 401k and was dumping tons of money in per paycheck. Our employer did a match, and would deposit money every month. My boss reached the limit in November. Well once you reach your limit, the employer also can't match anything, so he lost out on some matching money. Our employer also gave out 401k bonuses, but if you hit your limit, you couldn't take that money either.

Private school tuition at $500 per month per kid is a steal too.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

KingSlime posted:

First world butthead

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Oh wow look how much my life sucks

He has everything he wants with some money left over each month. The car that's being paid off will eventually be paid off and the same goes for the house. Then add on a comfortable retirement and he's still complaining.

This comment sums up the situation pretty well.

quote:

Poor OP, paying for private school and an SUV that costs more than a minimum wage earner lives on for an entire year. It's just so hard to get by. After all the money he spends on food and luxuries for his family he barely has enough for.. even more loving luxuries. The poor thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bird in a Blender posted:

Isn't the 401k limit $18,000 per year? That's what google tells me. 15% of $13,000 is $23,400 for the year, so that's $5,400 I just saved this guy. Unless he's counting 401k plus Roth IRA, I think that would cover both. Again though, if his employer matches anything at all into his 401k, he could be putting in less money per month. He may actually be hurting himself there. I had a boss who was trying to max out his 401k and was dumping tons of money in per paycheck. Our employer did a match, and would deposit money every month. My boss reached the limit in November. Well once you reach your limit, the employer also can't match anything, so he lost out on some matching money. Our employer also gave out 401k bonuses, but if you hit your limit, you couldn't take that money either.

According to a quick google, employer contribution doesn't count against the limit until you reach the "combined employer and employee limit" of 53,000. You could approach it if you make a dickload of money and do an after-tax 401k instead of a before -tax one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Well duh, they're probably on a needs-based scholarship. Have you seen how little money they have?

I usually dislike all the grief upper-middle class people get, but seriously THIS guy.

Devian666 posted:

He has everything he wants with some money left over each month. The car that's being paid off will eventually be paid off and the same goes for the house. Then add on a comfortable retirement and he's still complaining.

This comment sums up the situation pretty well.

Eventually kids from 1st family will turn 18 and he won't have to spend anymore money on them. 2nd family kids are better anyway.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Isn't the 401k limit $18,000 per year?

If your company doesn’t offer 401k matching and your payroll software auto-stops contributing once it hits the 18k limit, it doesn’t matter what percent you set it to as long as it’s high enough. You’ll just see a different amount on your paycheck after it maxes out and stops withholding.

EDIT: Also, I’m not sure he qualifies for a Roth IRA. The income restriction is per person, not household, right?

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 1, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

EDIT: Also, I’m not sure he qualifies for a Roth IRA. The income restriction is per person, not household, right?

IRA income limits are household income if you are married and filing jointly. Contribution limits still apply per person, but each married person can max out an IRA.

So married couple with an AGI under $186,000 can each contribute $5500 to a Roth IRA, for a combined contribution of $11,000. Additionally, contributions don't have to come from a specific person's income, so a stay at home parent can still max their IRA with their spouse's income.

Someone correct me if I'm reading the rules wrong. I should get straightened out since I am getting married next year :v:.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 1, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drunk Tomato posted:

First world butthead

In fairness, he's seemingly spending all that money on his family. Being able to stay at home and not work a day job is an enormous luxury, but it's a luxury for his wife, not for him. The private schools are a luxury, but they're a luxury for his kids, not for him. There's no boat payment on that budget. The ridiculously expensive car payment is for his wife's car, not his Corvette or Lexus. He's not heading down to the Outer Banks to go golfing.

Yeah, there's definitely something clueless about expecting that he should be able to raise a bunch of kids with a wife who doesn't contribute financially, including one who isn't even his own, and still have a bunch of money left over. But he's providing for a large family, by himself doing it successfully, and saving money. No doubt that's a serious loving grind, but that's not being a butthead.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Betcha he describes himself as middle class.

edit: $1000/month for private school for two kids is pretty drat "cheap"

Very good chance his kids would be getting a better education by choicing them into whatever is the best school in the area and gaming the system so they get into the gifted programs.

n8r fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 1, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I think My employer does a true up at the end of the year so you get the full matching even if you hit the max early and the 401k bonus should apply to the combined limit not the individual contribution limit anyway. What am I missing?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

n8r posted:

Betcha he describes himself as middle class.

edit: $1000/month for private school for two kids is pretty drat "cheap"

Very good chance his kids would be getting a better education by choicing them into whatever is the best school in the area and gaming the system so they get into the gifted programs.

he is middle class. hope this helps.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7a08cq/petland_screwed_me_over/

Petland screwed me over

quote:

My gf and I went to petland to get a puppy. We didnt have any money to put down but we were willing to finance if necessary. We found a dog we thought was perfect but it had a fat 2 grand price tag. We decided we could afford to pay it off if the monthly fee and interest was low. Of course the sales man at petland was talking like a car salesman attempting to get us in and out as soon as possible. He found a financing company that would loan us 3000 and he told us it would be 174 a month. Okay that is doable. I went to computer and my dumb rear end e-signed a document taking his word for it. So fast forward to today, we have our puppy and we love her to death but I was charged two payments in one month that was automatically taken out when I got paid (since I get paid biweekly). I call the finance company and they informed me I agreed to biweekly payments...well that sucks but at least we will have her paid off sooner. I had the rep email me the contract and once I recieved it I found that there was 144% annual interest....6 loving grand on top of the 3 grand agreement... 9 grand for this pup!! So now we are basically screwed for the next 2 years unless I can do something about it sooner. Do any of you have any experience negotiating with finance companies? Can I reduce the interest by paying more in advances via taxes or student loans or even extra off the paycheck. I know this is my fault but live and learn I suppose...thanks
Tl;dr
Got ripped at petland and unknowingly signed for a 3 grand loan with 144% annual interest and I need a way to get out or reduce the ridiculous interest.

• Financed a dog
  • Took out a $3000 loan for a $2000 purchase(?!)
  • Did not read a single word of the contract they signed, is now locked in for biweekly payments with 144% interest

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What's the usury rate in their state? 145%?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Teeter posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7a08cq/petland_screwed_me_over/

Petland screwed me over

• Financed a dog
  • Took out a $3000 loan for a $2k purchase?!.
  • Did not read a single word of the contract they signed, is now locked in for biweekly payments with 144% interest

Lol. Pound dogs are like $100-200 and that typically includes the initial vet report and shots.

:wtc:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Part of me says there are laws against predatory lending practices but they probably don’t apply to puppies.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Teeter posted:

In the comments the OP reasonably explains that they also added in a $1000 gift card for future purchase of supplies and food!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dick Nipples posted:

Lol. Pound dogs are like $100-200 and that typically includes the initial vet report and shots.

:wtc:

It's a dachshund-yorkie mix. A $2000 mutt without papers.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Crust First posted:

In the comments the OP reasonably explains that they also added in a $1000 gift card for future purchase of supplies and food!

Hahaha so Petland conned them into paying 144% interest on $1,000 that they are then guaranteed to get over time? :wtf:

While this poster is a total idiot predatory sales tactics on the gullible should not be underestimated or tolerated.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Teeter posted:

Petland screwed me over
  • Financed a dog

jbird2011 posted:

He didn't allow me to view the contract. It was my mistake I took his word for it but he had me e-sign the agreement after telling me 174 a month...
:psyduck: How do sign a contract that you can't see and not expect to get conned?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I know a girl who has a similar screen name on some social media sites. Wonder if it’s the same person...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crust First posted:

That reminds me of student loans I've had.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TheLastManStanding posted:

:psyduck: How do sign a contract that you can't see and not expect to get conned?

Swindlers generally don't do that kinda thing to people they don't make for marks. The kind of dude that can be cajoled into getting cash back financing on a mutt can probably be easily be bullshitted and/or browbeaten into signing dumb things even if they read it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Especially if their SO is standing behind them head over heel in love with a puppy.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Man, yall missed the best part: He bought that $9000 dog on an "around $30k" salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

drat Bananas posted:

Man, yall missed the best part: He bought that $9000 dog on an "around $30k" salary.

Which really means ~$26k probably.