Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would like to play this game and i would like to be the space hippie greenpeace witch sisters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is the forests-improvements-everywhere-and-hybrid-forests-in-all-bases strategy competitive, or do you need to micromanage your formers?

i don't want to play i'm just curious

the only competitive option, OP, is to build all your bases 1 tile apart and fill the gaps with condensers and boreholes.

I think it's designed so forests are useful early game, get superceded by farms and boreholes once nutrients and minerals are uncapped, and come back mid/late game with the forest-centered base facilities

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Glorgnole posted:

I'll jump in if we hang around at 6 confirmed people for a while, though I wouldn't mind being the official full time GM either

also I'll prune the list of interested people if folks haven't made any new posts since before last Friday or still (!) haven't claimed a faction. gotta end up with 7 actively engaged posters to play!

You said we had till Wednesday :mad:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if this works on Linux (or wine) then sure, I’ll take the Believers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OldAlias posted:

if this works on Linux (or wine) then sure, I’ll take the Believers
wine says it's platinum rated as of version 1.9.22 but if i were you i'd check it out

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

confirming for pirates pending appropriate (pirated) sourcing of client.
shall double confirm in the next 48.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
civ:be owns. I am prepared to die on this mountain

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

civ:be owns. I am prepared to die on this mountain

Who'll do the Yosmas thread after you do (as you surely will because CIV:BE is at least as bad as my posting)?

:ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Boiled Water posted:

welp

of course i meant "has it stood the test of time?"

i have the classic macos version on my imac i'll let you know

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You said we had till Wednesday :mad:

i'm sorry for failing to convey an appropriate degree of urgency :(

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anyways (pending double-confirmations) here's how this breaks down so far

The First Wave
Improbable Lobster - Drones
OldAlias - Believers
Luigi Thirty - University
Cazlab - Pirates!
cheese-cube - Hive
anthonypants - Spartans
Sagebrush - Gaians

nothing wrong with having multiple games going in parallel, so if you didn't end up in the first heap due to my own horrible mismanagement, etc., you're now in a brand new pile.

The Second Wave (assorted delinquents)
Helianthus Annuus
A Pinball Wizard - Hive
Crusader
Glorgnole
Boiled Water - Morganites
Cheekio - University

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 4, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Brand new pile will kick old piles rear end

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im coming for you improbable lobster. the only good drone is an oppressed nerve staple drone!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i want winner of pile 1 to 1v1 the winner of pile 2

and if you get a pile 3, put them in there, too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i would like to play this game and i would like to be the space hippie greenpeace witch sisters

the gaians are op as gently caress

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the gaians are op as gently caress

space fungus worm army from hell

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I didnt play the expansion but is free market economics still wildly unbalanced wrt penalties?

I seem to remember it having a -5 planet modifier or something woeful like that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah still got that

idk how much +1 energy per square is worth in real terms though

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
its ridic OP and the fact that they had to add such heinous penalties to counteract it should have been their clue that going from +1/base to +1/sq was a little extreme

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

final confirming in.
i nabbed the GOG version and it runs fine.
spent the afternoon exploring the high seas and pissing off space cultists.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cazlab posted:

space fungus worm army from hell

fuuuuuuuck

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
can I be space communists?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

can I be space communists?

you may be whoever you would like to be, friend. the planet is your oyster!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cazlab posted:

final confirming in.
i nabbed the GOG version and it runs fine.
spent the afternoon exploring the high seas and pissing off space cultists.

heck yeah

pirates can get a little crazy since sea bases get so much more energy and nutrients than land bases and there isn't a lot stopping you from taking over the whole ocean before anyone else can get sea colony pods

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also the relative ease of movement across ocean tiles allows you to scout fast and grab a LOT of unity pods. even on maps with heaps of fungal bloom you can scout way faster.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

i was trying to explain this game to my ex a couple of months ago and was probably rambling like a crazy person.
we have a running civ 5 game, but of 4x games it and the x-box civ are the only one's she's played.

edit:
i was def rambling like a crazy person because i was describing in detail the difference in mechanics of every sid meier game for some loving reason.
oh wait we were high. nevermind.

Cazlab fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cazlab posted:

oh wait we were high. nevermind.

:lol: nice.

SMAC is civ in space but you operate like a space government (soceng, governors, automate, global council). also there are aliens

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

civ 4 engine, squares and stacking units for lyf

check out the Planetfall mod, it's a pretty decent attempt at doing smac civ4-style.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Prav posted:

check out the Planetfall mod, it's a pretty decent attempt at doing smac civ4-style.

does it have the charm of smac or is it like playing cities skylines (that is with cold indifference while looking at the not so great but very charming sim city 2015)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

some game setup stuff

this'll be at Transcend difficulty. the lower difficulties have more forgiving drone penalties and omit things like prototyping costs and retooling penalties, but with all human players i don't think it'll make a big difference.

i've generally felt like the Standard size map is too small and the Huge size map is too big, so we'll use the merely Large map.

i was planning on picking the middle-of-the-road options for ocean coverage, erosive forces, rainfall, etc and taking a look to make sure no one was getting dicked over by starting on a tiny island or in the middle of a desert, but the game's pretty aggressive about making sure you can't load password-protected multiplayer games in the scenario editor. best i can probably do is generate and tweak a map file beforehand and then start the game from that.

there's an accelerated start option (Time Warp) that starts the game at turn 60 and gives everyone 4 bases with facilities and units. i was worried about everyone getting bogged down in the first 30 turns where you're just moving a couple units, but i tried it out in a test game and it doesn't do a remotely good job of balancing the initial setups so it would probably be lame in practice. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

some game setup stuff

this'll be at Transcend difficulty. the lower difficulties have more forgiving drone penalties and omit things like prototyping costs and retooling penalties, but with all human players i don't think it'll make a big difference.

i've generally felt like the Standard size map is too small and the Huge size map is too big, so we'll use the merely Large map.

i was planning on picking the middle-of-the-road options for ocean coverage, erosive forces, rainfall, etc and taking a look to make sure no one was getting dicked over by starting on a tiny island or in the middle of a desert, but the game's pretty aggressive about making sure you can't load password-protected multiplayer games in the scenario editor. best i can probably do is generate and tweak a map file beforehand and then start the game from that.

there's an accelerated start option (Time Warp) that starts the game at turn 60 and gives everyone 4 bases with facilities and units. i was worried about everyone getting bogged down in the first 30 turns where you're just moving a couple units, but i tried it out in a test game and it doesn't do a remotely good job of balancing the initial setups so it would probably be lame in practice. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

this sounds pretty good.
i'm a soft "for" re: time warp. accelerated start has helped some of my civ 5 play-by-mail games go better.
also is there a tool like GMR for us to use?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cazlab posted:

this sounds pretty good.
i'm a soft "for" re: time warp. accelerated start has helped some of my civ 5 play-by-mail games go better.
also is there a tool like GMR for us to use?

i've been looking for some sort of generic pbem manager but i haven't found one that isn't tied to Civ 5 or 6. i think that GMR and PYDT both actually hook into the game to figure out when the turn's ended and set turn time limits, so while i was hoping i could just change the save file directory i don't think it'll work out.

i'll have time this weekend to experiment with better save management. git might actually be OK as long as people are polite about only committing and pushing at the end of their turn. also it would give us a snapshot of the game state for every player turn all in one place, which would be useful for retrospective stuff after the end of the game.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
best to set up a conference call to hash out the optimal branching strategy imo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

best to set up a conference call to hash out the optimal branching strategy imo

not sure if you're joking but im in west aus UTC+8 which puts me at around 12 hours time diff to most yosposters in the US (except for dimey and i guess echi is closer). this is partly why pbem is more appealing to me than playing live and stuff.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

not sure if you're joking but im in west aus UTC+8 which puts me at around 12 hours time diff to most yosposters in the US (except for dimey and i guess echi is closer). this is partly why pbem is more appealing to me than playing live and stuff.

from my observation yosposters are pretty well distributed across the globe.
p. sure that was a joke, but yeah, let's get this poo poo on, i wanna terrabomb some drones and poo poo.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Hey hook me up in pile 2 with the Space How Grad Students Idealize Themselves faction.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You can't seriously tell me I missed the cutoff for a six month nerd a thon by one day

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cheekio posted:

You can't seriously tell me I missed the cutoff for a six month nerd a thon by one day

nah man you're good, i got you

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e lol this is not the fastest forum outside the big threads, have patience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

who is winning the match?