Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I wish I weren't completely sick of weed themed bands because there are always a ton of them everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Sludge Tank posted:

Bongripper is my favourite thing in the universe and I wish theyd come to Australia

god drat being able to see them every time they play a home town show loving owns

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Shakenbaker posted:

You weren't the one of the dudes lighting up at the backside of the pit during Bongripper, were you? I was cracking up at but also impressed by them. Just felt like the most precarious place they could possibly decide to light their joints.

haha nah, I've never been one to smoke inside any venues but I was near that area too though jumping in and out of the pit. It's easy enough to just smoke outside in the alley and then walk into the rockstar door entry.

Here's that Warning poster

it's got gold flakes on it that sparkle under a light in the dark

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

god drat being able to see them every time they play a home town show loving owns

I've lived here for three years and their shows always sell out before I can get a ticket or I have some other obligation lol

Varg posted:

haha nah, I've never been one to smoke inside any venues but I was near that area too though jumping in and out of the pit. It's easy enough to just smoke outside in the alley and then walk into the rockstar door entry.

Here's that Warning poster

it's got gold flakes on it that sparkle under a light in the dark

I bought this at the Chicago show. The name and mood of the band fit nicely next to my Detroit Lions poster.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've lived here for three years and their shows always sell out before I can get a ticket or I have some other obligation lol

i mean i'm only in milwaukee and i've seen them six times in the last few years cmon get your poo poo together

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Here's the lineup for Doomfest 2018, just announced.

I'll be down to see the top three of course, but if anyone has any recommendations for anyone else on the list that they like a lot, I'm all ears :350:

Last year, Wo Fat slayed.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Someone hosed up because Weedeater is clearly weedmetal :colbert:

Solid looking bill but there's no way that works out for me to make it for that, that's our busiest time of year at work. Guess I'll just have to not see Castle and Windhand...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

nerve posted:

:smithicide:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Novum posted:

I wish I weren't completely sick of weed themed bands because there are always a ton of them everywhere.

I don’t even bother listening to them anymore. At least generic occult themed bands are way cooler.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Bongripper is my favourite thing in the universe and I wish theyd come to Australia

loving seriously. I have seen high on fire like 10 times now. why haven't bongripper come here yet?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Who in their right mind would come to this godless helldump

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t even bother listening to them anymore. At least generic occult themed bands are way cooler.

I'm the opposite. I can deal with weed themed bands all day because I feel like the names are oftentimes so ridiculous they have a sense of humor about it, whereas the same old boring occultism has been done since Black Sabbath came around in the 60s.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Who in their right mind would come to this godless helldump

we do get a lot of doom bands thru Life Is Noise but its been particularly quiet this year. Chelsea Wolfe is the next gig on their bill and that is less than exciting. Sleep in Jan tho so that will be good.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Laserface posted:

we do get a lot of doom bands thru Life Is Noise but its been particularly quiet this year. Chelsea Wolfe is the next gig on their bill and that is less than exciting. Sleep in Jan tho so that will be good.

Dark Mofo here in Tassie brought down Pallbearer/The Body/Sunn 0))) etc etc a few years ago I feel like Dark Mofo could be an awesome way to bring down more Doom seeing as it's the jist of the whole festival but they've really been going for Occult/Black/Death metal the last couple of years which gets a bit old and is a bit contrived and predictable for my liking. I liked the doom bands because they didn't have all the lame theatric crap

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just saw Warning's last show of the tour and I can't stress enough how drat good they are. The guy who put out their breakout album did it illegally without paying them anything so I was able to buy it directly from them as well as a couple shirts and that sweet poster. Also Morne owns.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You guys were right: Boris is awesome. I was amazed by the control they had over their amps and instruments: they got such a wide range of tone and feedback throughout the whole show. It was really impressive. Seeing them live made me appreciate Boris a lot more, they really are amazing at what they do. Also Wata is a guitar wizard.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If I don't particularly care for Boris' music, is the live show still worth going to anyway? Their shows are so widely praised that I just can't help think I'm missing something and going to one would make me a believer.

They're playing a standalone show in Austin next week on account of a festival getting cancelled.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If its not to taxing for you to go I'd say do it. My friends who aren't into the music were still pretty impressed by the show

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is the new Boris record?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is the new Boris record?

By their standards it's pretty pedestrian

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jackpudwell/status/925448188735172608

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

-I also went to Edgar Allan Poe's grave, in a cool churchyard cemetery that I'm sure all the undercard bands took photos in.

Funniest thing to me was visiting his house. All the metalheads we talked to advised against walking because it was such a "bad neighborhood". The old lady at door just laughed and gave us directions back into town, passing the grave (where we took cheesy bandphotos).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Looking forward to seeing bandcamp links under each of these names in the coming year

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome posted:

Funniest thing to me was visiting his house. All the metalheads we talked to advised against walking because it was such a "bad neighborhood". The old lady at door just laughed and gave us directions back into town, passing the grave (where we took cheesy bandphotos).

Haha weird. I will check out the house come MDF time

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Very clever

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I found a "secret" Bongripper live album last night. Not that listening to Roadburn 2012 twice a day was getting old or anything.

https://youtu.be/pnww9IfXHK0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sludge Tank posted:

I found a "secret" Bongripper live album last night. Not that listening to Roadburn 2012 twice a day was getting old or anything.

https://youtu.be/pnww9IfXHK0

This is awesome, thanks! Is that an audience recording or a soundboard? It's pretty good quality.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
There's not much info but if I were to hazard a guess i'd say it's recorded the same way as Roadburn 2012.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Dead Roots Stirring is being repressed, you can order it now.
http://armageddonlabel.bigcartel.com/product/elder-dead-roots-stirring-2lp-w-download
If you're European for some reason.
https://www.stickman-records.com/releases/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Saint Vitus just announced a surprise Boris show tonight and I got tickets yayyyyy

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Was this album released on vinyl before?

maybe a question for the vinyl thread but, does the method of recording (ie. Protools/tape) make a difference to how this would sound? Like if they only ever did this initially on Protools with a view to press CDs, is it going to have that rich Vinyl sound to it or no?

typically are the 'download' codes included for FLAC or some other high-quality format?

I dont own a turntable but this is definitely my favorite album of all time and I figure if theres one thing I would buy a turntable for it is this album (I have awesome speakers already)

I mean I own the FLAC, CD, 320kbps rips of this album (Ive bought it on basically every platform possible because I truly feel the band deserve more of my money given how much I enjoy it) but if its being remastered and is going to be on vinyl, I would consider picking up a decent turntable just to have that experience too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Don't.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Laserface posted:

maybe a question for the vinyl thread but, does the method of recording (ie. Protools/tape) make a difference to how this would sound? Like if they only ever did this initially on Protools with a view to press CDs, is it going to have that rich Vinyl sound to it or no?

typically are the 'download' codes included for FLAC or some other high-quality format?

I dont own a turntable but this is definitely my favorite album of all time and I figure if theres one thing I would buy a turntable for it is this album (I have awesome speakers already)

I mean I own the FLAC, CD, 320kbps rips of this album (Ive bought it on basically every platform possible because I truly feel the band deserve more of my money given how much I enjoy it) but if its being remastered and is going to be on vinyl, I would consider picking up a decent turntable just to have that experience too.

It was on vinyl before, a couple times on different labels. I think the type of file you get with the code depends on what the artist/label/whoever provides. Sometimes there's a choice between formats. Bandcamp has a bunch of file types to choose from for their downloads.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Full stream of the new Dead Quiet: http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-11-01/dead-quiet-stream-new-album-grand-rites-in-full

I was amazed to see it at #11 on the iTunes metal chart today.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Laserface posted:

When a band releases on vinyl and cd you make 2 different masters, mainly because too much bass on vinyl will make the grooves deep af, so you have to compensate for physical playback, among other things. My band just told our mastering engineer we were doing both and he provided us with two copies. To be honest listening to both full quality masters back to back on a computer, the difference is negligible as far a source audio goes. Record VS CD is way different, and I much prefer the digital version, but then again I don't care for vinyl except fact that you can print the art way bigger, make the record look cool, provide people with limited editions, ect. Audiowise CD quality all the way for me personally.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got a sweet souvenir from the Boris show "anniversaly tour"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Boris in DC was incredible

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

emdash posted:

Boris in DC was incredible

edit with Content: there's not much more to say, but it was amazing to see them in such a small space. Endon was remarkable also.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I haven't really been paying attention to music since I started grad school like five years ago, but then I finished and caught Boris on the 20th and they were so loving good that I found this thread again. Directly in front of Wata when they launched into Absolutego was pretty much the best place in the world to be standing. Like everyone else has said, see Boris. Also echoing the Endon appreciation, I knew nothing about them going in and they were great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

About to see Godflesh and Jesu back to back :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012