Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ilor posted:

Generally, yes.

Cool bean. I guess I can always pick up some enamel thinner if the mineral spirits don't work the way I want. I'd just rather not buy more solvents that I'll never use up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

stabbington posted:

You're certainly headed in the right direction. In terms of materials problems, you've got a little bit of chalkiness happening, but the majority of the problem that I see is actually paint tearing, especially on the legs. That happens when you try to paint over a layer that's set up but isn't completely dry yet, so you should either be working faster and wet-blending, or slow it down and stick to the layered approach you're using now. The poster that recommended a handle of some sort to mount your model on is also dead on, that'll help you reduce the paint that rubs off as you handle the thing, and give you better control of how you hold it in general. If you use a pill bottle for a handle, I recommend filling it halfway with some sort of weight (coins, sand, whatever dense thing you happen to have lying around) to keep it bottom-heavy and less likely to tip over at the drop of a hat.

In terms of the actual execution of the NMM, the biggest issue that I'm seeing is that your bright highlights are a little too big, and your shadows aren't dark enough to make the highlights really pop. I really like this Ben Komets video on non-metallic gold as a pretty easy to understand visual reference for what I'm talking about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE

As I said, though, you're off to a good start, and some more work put into it will absolutely yield a pleasing result.

Ok, I definitely have a patience problem. The issue is I am trying to wet blend, just poorly.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I made a thing and maybe it'll be useful to some people:

Top row, all Citadel left to right: Agrellan Badland, Armageddon Dunes, Agrellan Earth, Lustrian Undergrowth, and Typhus Corrosion.
Bottom row, all Vallejo, left to right: Snow, Black Lava/Asphalt, Rough White Pumice, Desert Sand, and White Stone Paste.

Bases are Reaper Bones 1” bases. Paint is Vallejo Surface Primer German Panzer Grey all over, then UNS Light Ghost Grey applied at an angle from the front (bottom in this image), then White applies at a much sharper angle also from the front. Observation: Vallejo Snow, Black Lava/Asphalt and Rough White Pumice are identical (actually snow might just be very very similar), and are very similar to albeit slightly more jagged than Lustrian Undergrowth (uh... I think Lustrian Undergrowth has the same sized particles suspended in a paint that dries thicker, creating gentler texture?). All other textures are visually distinct and could serve different purposes.

If I had to recommend just one, I'd say Agrellan Badland is the most versatile, since it seems to have textures of different size mixed in, plus the crackle medium that can be manipulated -- cracks form with a thick layer but not a thin one. It's also identical to Martian Ironearth, save for the color which is not a factor here.

(I figure I'll let 'em dry for a couple of days, hit them with a layer of matte varnish, let that dry, then superglue them into a grid or hexagonal pattern, just so I can have a basing texture palette. I've put little labels on the bottom with the paint types.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting my finished Land Raider.

I feel like it may be a little too dull.

Radical suggestion for the treads: Paint them brown, then wash them a darker brown, then drybrush them metallic silver. That will look more like treads with dirt in them than just going overtop the silver with a brown, because dirt gets stuck in crevices but falls off the most prominent parts of the surface.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the oath thread for my spooky skull mans.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Radical suggestion for the treads: Paint them brown, then wash them a darker brown, then drybrush them metallic silver. That will look more like treads with dirt in them than just going overtop the silver with a brown, because dirt gets stuck in crevices but falls off the most prominent parts of the surface.

I like this idea, but I might just run through the tracks with Agrax, then do a stirland mud and a second agrax, then pick out some of the treads with silver.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

Top row, all Citadel left to right: Agrellan Badland, Armageddon Dunes, Agrellan Earth, Lustrian Undergrowth, and Typhus Corrosion.
Bottom row, all Vallejo, left to right: Snow, Black Lava/Asphalt, Rough White Pumice, Desert Sand, and White Stone Paste.

Bases are Reaper Bones 1” bases. Paint is Vallejo Surface Primer German Panzer Grey all over, then UNS Light Ghost Grey applied at an angle from the front (bottom in this image), then White applies at a much sharper angle also from the front. Observation: Vallejo Snow, Black Lava/Asphalt and Rough White Pumice are identical (actually snow might just be very very similar), and are very similar to albeit slightly more jagged than Lustrian Undergrowth (uh... I think Lustrian Undergrowth has the same sized particles suspended in a paint that dries thicker, creating gentler texture?). All other textures are visually distinct and could serve different purposes.

If I had to recommend just one, I'd say Agrellan Badland is the most versatile, since it seems to have textures of different size mixed in, plus the crackle medium that can be manipulated -- cracks form with a thick layer but not a thin one. It's also identical to Martian Ironearth, save for the color which is not a factor here.

(I figure I'll let 'em dry for a couple of days, hit them with a layer of matte varnish, let that dry, then superglue them into a grid or hexagonal pattern, just so I can have a basing texture palette. I've put little labels on the bottom with the paint types.)

This is really cool. I will have to buy some of these gw textures.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Stephenls posted:

These are super useful! I'll definitely be referring to it later.

I currently use Stirland Mud, which seems to be the same as Armageddon Dust and is just very fine beads/sand without any larger structure. I like them but feel the need to add grass tufts and little rocks for variety.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booyah- posted:

These are super useful! I'll definitely be referring to it later.

I currently use Stirland Mud, which seems to be the same as Armageddon Dust and is just very fine beads/sand without any larger structure. I like them but feel the need to add grass tufts and little rocks for variety.

Yeah, I think Stirlan Mud is the same thing as Armageddon Dust (and Astrogranite) in a different color, and Stirlan Battlemire is the same as Armageddon Dunes (and Astrogranite Debris), just like Agrellan Earth is Martian Ironearth and Agrellan Badland is Martian Ironcrust. But I’m not 100% sure on Astrogranite Debris and I don’t know whether Blackfire Earth is a dupe of another color with a different texture or it’s own thing.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Last thing I (mostly) finished painting back in September 2015. Painted everything but the base, it has been sitting around since.

First thing I painted after 2 years off:

Four of Reaper's Halloween chibi figures I've painted in the past few weeks to shake the rust off (posted in painting order):

And a group shot with the other chibis I painted three years ago:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Actually do you have a higher res version of that where the texture is more visible?

e: Thanks!

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 1, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booyah- posted:

Actually do you have a higher res version of that where the texture is more visible?

Click through the image in my initial post to see it on Imgur. You can see a higher resolution version there.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhhhh! A wild Bachtere post has appeared!

Content:

I am making progress on my Howling Griffons space marines.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tip to toe, that's a Bart!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stephenls posted:

This is legit and somebody should link it in the OP. I have to say that the Agrellan Earth is identical to cheaper crackling pastes, so if you plan to use it a lot, I'd skip the GW version.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Surprised to see Typhus Corrosion on that comparison, isn't it just verdigris?

Also, good to see Bachtere back.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

Also, good to see Bachtere back.

Typhus Corrosion is a dark brown wash with very, very fine particulate matter in it, which means if you don't give a gently caress about color and are just going for texture, Typhus Corrosion is a texture paint for when you want a really fine gritty, sandy, or pebbly texture.

I've actually applied it across the whole base; the areas that are extra-textured are areas where I put on two or three layers of it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

TTerrible posted:

That's Nihilakh Oxide. Typhus Corrosion is the brown oily/grimy stuff, and it has a slight gritty texture. It's not really a texture paint in the same sense as the rest though, you're right.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh yeah, sorry. Mixed those two up. Didn't realise the corrosion was slightly gritty though. Good to know.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That's Nihilakh Oxide. Typhus Corrosion is the brown oily/grimy stuff, and it has a slight gritty texture. It's not really a texture paint in the same sense as the rest though, you're right.

I believe I've demonstrated that it can be!

(My plan is now to apply it on top of other texture paints, on areas where those texture paints haven't covered, to add fine grit in between the coarser grit of other texture paints.)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I have to say that the Agrellan Earth is identical to cheaper crackling pastes, so if you plan to use it a lot, I'd skip the GW version.

Any particular recommendations on alternatives? I tried picking up some crackling pastes and they really didn't deliver similar results to the GW products.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been using 'viva decor' and it's been exactly the same consistency for me. You can even water it down for a more spread out cracked look:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=viva+color+crackling

They sometimes have it on sale or as an add-on item for $3-4 (especially the colors nobody buys, like transparent). I've heard the black isn't as good though

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Nihilakh Oxide is terrific for getting a touch of patina on your bronze metals (though it's easy to go overboard, as I've learned firsthand). It's a little tricky, in that it's very bright like you'd expect from a highlight, but it heads straight for crevices like a wash. Next time I use it to age some bronze, I'm going to experiment a bit with some greenish-white for highlights and some stippling of Agrax to add variety to the corrosion.

Speaking of which: Typhus Corrosion, on the other hand, is a thin, gritty substance that was meant to replicate oil and grime on machinery. I've used it on a few things, and I really like how it dirties surfaces up. I don't really think of it as a texture paint, though; it's what GW is calling a "technical paint," primarily to be used for special effects, along the lines of Nihilakh Oxide and Blood for the Blood God.

Actual content: Here's an Oath Thread xpost!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:

Claiming the Jurnal for spooOOOooky vampires! (Full album is here.)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Got me a lightbox! I am still not great at using it.

Also got me some Plague Marines painted:

And in even smaller than above, my buddies & I are playing a "Pathfinder in the Wild West" campaign and I volunteered to paint any minis people provided. My buddy brought the Gunslinger first and I put him together:

I think I am spraying my matte finish too close to the minis because these all look like gloss.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Quidthulhu posted:

Got me a lightbox! I am still not great at using it.

Also got me some Plague Marines painted:

And in even smaller than above, my buddies & I are playing a "Pathfinder in the Wild West" campaign and I volunteered to paint any minis people provided. My buddy brought the Gunslinger first and I put him together:

I think I am spraying my matte finish too close to the minis because these all look like gloss.

I just got mine in the mail as well! It seems to make a huge difference in getting good indoor shots. Speaking of that

Cheers for this! Hopefully I can take less shithouse photos for the oath thread now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here they are, the results of the first ever C-SPAM Hi-Mock challenge!

SkunkDuster

Nebakenezzer

Guy Goodbody

punchymcpunch

mrbradlymrmartin

Taintrunner

Neurolimal

Unkempt

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Those are great. I like to think the last one is building a functioning, human sized plane.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hi-mocks are a treasure, and if you've never built one, do it.

It's eight to ten bucks from Amazon, it goes together in minutes, and you don't feel the slightest bit bad mangling it or giving it a terrible paint job for kicks.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Recommendations on lighting, both stand up and desk options? (For painting, not pics)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
x-post from 40k thread
My store does their 40k Armies on Parade this coming Saturday. I just got it to a point where I'm happy with it. The positioning of the squads isn't really set other than the three tanks, so if anyone has input on that its welcome. I've got quite a bit of other options to replace stuff.

Album with the WIPs:
https://imgur.com/a/3PUQc

Edit:
Since I still have my camera set up and haven't posted this guy:

Booley fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Man that's absolutely gorgeous, top notch work there!!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Your poo poo is top notch and I am jealous :3: Really excellent, is there a prize involved with the parade this weekend?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting my finished Land Raider.

I feel like it may be a little too dull.

It's a little hard to see on the video, but I'd say the highlights might be a bit too subtle- particularly the red, there's nowhere where it 'pops'

Chiwie posted:

I just got mine in the mail as well! It seems to make a huge difference in getting good indoor shots. Speaking of that

Cheers for this! Hopefully I can take less shithouse photos for the oath thread now.

To build from that- your lamps seem a bit too dull, might want brighter ones, or just closer to the lightbox- still such heavy shadows.

To anyone here photographing small numbers of minis (like 1-5) I also heavily recommend using a backdrop (such as these ones http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html).

Using my own photos here, see how without the lightbox the details are less crisp, in lightbox I have negligible shadows, but then with a backdrop the warmth really allows the model to shine? In other news, using an appropriate colour background can be good - a sheer black background for a primarily black model won't be as good, and so forth.

Great to see you back, your style is as delightful as ever.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

More on camera talk, does anyone have a particular starter level DSLR they enjoy using to document their minis :v:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

Your poo poo is top notch and I am jealous :3: Really excellent, is there a prize involved with the parade this weekend?

I have no idea! I mostly just wanted to have an excuse to do a bigger project than just painting a squad/tank. I'm glad it's about done though, I haven't had a kitchen table for a month.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

More on camera talk, does anyone have a particular starter level DSLR they enjoy using to document their minis :v:

Any of them should do fairly well. At an entry level, no manufacturer makes a camera significantly different than the others, so get the one that feels best in your hands. The lens matters more than the camera itself. None of the kit lenses will do amazingly because they aren't going to be able to focus close enough to fill the shot well, so you'll be cropping way in. Fortunately, there's a thing called an extension tube that allows you to focus significantly closer. Because they're just a hollow tube, they're super cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-Extension-Extreme-Close-Ups/dp/B003Y60DZO

If you've got the budget, pick up a macro lens, but if photographing your minis is the only thing you'd be using it for just buy extension tubes and save the money for a lens you'll use more regularly.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My Tiny Space Limeys now have their own tiny space Land Rovers.

I dig the Taurox kit, but hate the stupid little tank tracks so I got some 6x6 wheel conversion kits off ebay, they're not perfect but I think they look pretty cool. They ride a bit high, but I think that makes them look like modern infantry vehicles.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Wazzu posted:

To build from that- your lamps seem a bit too dull, might want brighter ones, or just closer to the lightbox- still such heavy shadows.

Yeah I really need to replace the LED strip that it came with, the stock ones are really really blue. Do you have any suggestions on a replacement strip? I'm a little lost with all the colour temp options.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Bucnasti, that's some really sweet fading on those Space Trucks™!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Chiwie posted:

Yeah I really need to replace the LED strip that it came with, the stock ones are really really blue. Do you have any suggestions on a replacement strip? I'm a little lost with all the colour temp options.

My setup is substantially less high tech than that. It's a box I've cut holes into and filled with wax paper, carboard backdrop, printed out coloured backdrop, lamps from a hardware store, shot on a mobile phone. I'm far from claiming I have the best setup, but it does okay.