Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those spoilers from earlier are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You guys are all the best.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

If they keep doing more of them, Too Much Chucky would be an awesome actual title for one.

2 Much Chucky: Chucky Goes Bananas

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot Toys Ripley

She's pretty good, but the gun strap broke and it annoys the gently caress outta me. I'm getting that replaced.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Finally got around to watching Covenant. Liked it better than Prometheus. Didn't understand the point of the spores, really. Also wish there had been more detail about the specifics of the poo poo David was getting into. Still good fun.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Also David shows up at the end with a resurrected Newt and tells Ripley he made the Predators by combing macho men sweat and a space lizard with a vagina for a face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators have canonically existed since at least 1987.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Predators have canonically existed since at least 1987.

They were time travelers, sent back when David invented the Flux Capacitor.

All movies are about David now, because what could be more interesting than an android with daddy issues perpetually surrounded by the stupidest human beings ever to exist?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

chiasaur11 posted:

They were time travelers, sent back when David invented the Flux Capacitor.

All movies are about David now, because what could be more interesting than an android with daddy issues perpetually surrounded by the stupidest human beings ever to exist?

I don't really take those avatars too seriously, but the combination of one with your post takes the content to a wonderful plane of irony.

People really like pogs and the band Aqua here. Everyone is wearing bellbottoms. ....I don't want to leave.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

This, but unironically.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah as someone that has never been super into the Alien franchise David is by far the most interesting thing to happen in it to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 25, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It turns out David didn't invent the alien because that would potentially mess up canon and history, instead he actually invented Ripley.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Raxivace posted:

Yeah as someone that has never been super into the Alien franchise David is by far the most interesting to happen in it to me.

As someone who has...he kind of is.

Ripley is a great character in the first two, and good in 3. The rest...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ripley's mom is good in AvP:R.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

Ripley's mom is good in AvP:R.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Woah I've seen Covenant twice but I do not remember the Alien looking that CGI-ey in that scene. That looks almost like a video game render or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's def sped up. Like a weird frame rate thing going on.

But I wish Scott held the shots longer. You don't need to show every detail, but pretty long stylish looks would go a long way I think.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So hey no one bit on my last post, but in Convenant, are the spore mushrooms just a natural result of the goo nuke, or was David responsible?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

Agreed.

Also I'm 3 stories into the Predator short story anthology and it's already way better than the Aliens one. Two of the stories have been inoffensive and by the numbers as far as boilerplate Predator stories go, and one is framed around a particular historical event and is a lot more interesting. My only real complaint is that after the fact I looked up that event on Wikipedia just for my own knowledge, and the short story kinda gets the history wrong which is a little goofy.

Lemme guess, predator shot Kennedy?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Meridian posted:

So hey no one bit on my last post, but in Convenant, are the spore mushrooms just a natural result of the goo nuke, or was David responsible?

David's fault. The goo came from the ship and infected the entire planet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

David's fault. The goo came from the ship and infected the entire planet.

Well right, he mentions that the goo is specifically designed to cleanse organic life by outright killing infected or spawning a hybrid that kills the host and everything else it can.

I meant did he tinker up the mushrooms personally or did they just come about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It came about and he did mess with it after they sprouted.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

why even kill people when you can just drown every person on the ship with that niagra falls worth of drool coming out of its mouth. How do they even produce that much liquid

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

But I wish Scott held the shots longer. You don't need to show every detail, but pretty long stylish looks would go a long way I think.

totally agree. there could have been some terrific aguirre-esque visuals going on the jungle planet but its all so perfunctory and in a rush

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Lemme guess, predator shot Kennedy?

The particular story is framed around Stonewall Jackson getting shot by his own men.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

The particular story is framed around Stonewall Jackson getting shot by his own men.

lmfao that's a hundred times more obscure than I anticipated

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

banned from Starbucks posted:

why even kill people when you can just drown every person on the ship with that niagra falls worth of drool coming out of its mouth. How do they even produce that much liquid

They are constantly dunking into and climbing back out of 55 gallon buckets of lubricant.

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Lubes-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant/dp/B005MR3IVO

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yea, go rewatch AVP:R the little kid is Ripley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lmfao that's a hundred times more obscure than I anticipated

That's the fun part with "historical" Predator stuff, if it even gets linked to a specific historical event then it tends to be pretty obscure. Like off the top of my head I think the Tunguska explosion got linked to them, and the origin of the story of St. George and the Dragon, and Spring-Heeled Jack. They'll occasionally get linked as the the basis for certain culture's mythological creatures or spirits, like Japanese Oni, certain Native American spirits, etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I just found out about the Alien King and I want to see that in AvP movie that cribs from the Arcarde beat em up video game.

It looks really great.

Compare the Alien Queen below...

The male has its own features and advantages being stronger and more savage but the female is more intelligent and quicker that gave it an advantage. Both can generate face huggers.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 13, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well i just realized that the Queen's cranial ridge thing looks like a clitoral hood, and her crown is basically a splayed out vulva.

So logically the King Alien should be a set of horrifying phalluses and frenula.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FilthyImp posted:

Well i just realized that the Queen's cranial ridge thing looks like a clitoral hood, and her crown is basically a splayed out vulva.

So logically the King Alien should be a set of horrifying phalluses and frenula.

You mean the Big Chap Alien from the first film?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I did not. Well Predator 2 is still pretty bonkers regardless

Gary Busey.

That is all.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FilthyImp posted:

Kind of?

Here is some concept art.

There was also one in some of the EU comics, that promptly got it's rear end kicked by a Queen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Kind of?

Here is some concept art.

There was also one in some of the EU comics, that promptly got it's rear end kicked by a Queen.

Yeah a mad scientist made the Alien King in a lab as a way to deal with the Xenomorph infestation. For one the King was a brutal strong savage and caused chaos and destruction but in facing the Queen she was more intelligent and quicker so the King got worn down by expending more energy being a brute and in the end she beat him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

I did not. Well Predator 2 is still pretty bonkers regardless

The more I watch them and the older I get the more I genuinely think Predator 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Predator. I mean P1 is of course incredible and one of the raddest movies ever made but Predator 2 is just beyond crazy and awesome. And like we've discussed in the past Predator 2 is a total comic book movie, and you can see how it was extremely influential on the 90s extreme attitude kind of comics' look.

Actually I think this came up in this thread but forget what the result was, was Predator 2 LITERALLY a comic book movie? Like didn't it begin as an adaptation of the second half of Dark Horse's Predator 1 adaptation where just the first half was the first Predator movie and the second half was multiple Predators in NYC? Like Predator became an established comic book thing pretty much as the first movie came out. It's a property that's basically stayed alive JUST because of the comics over the years too.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Neo Rasa posted:

The more I watch them and the older I get the more I genuinely think Predator 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Predator.

:respek:

I was discussing this with a friend coming out of the cinema after watching the 30th anniversary release of Predator last week. As much as the original is still awesome, we both kinda prefer the craziness of Predator 2.

I also have good memories of sitting and watching most of Predator 2 in a takeaway while drunk and discussing

Dog_Meat posted:

Gary Busey.
with the guy serving.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You guys make me want to give Predator 2 another shot.

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually I think this came up in this thread but forget what the result was, was Predator 2 LITERALLY a comic book movie? Like didn't it begin as an adaptation of the second half of Dark Horse's Predator 1 adaptation where just the first half was the first Predator movie and the second half was multiple Predators in NYC? Like Predator became an established comic book thing pretty much as the first movie came out. It's a property that's basically stayed alive JUST because of the comics over the years too.
I tried searching for this but I just got a bunch horrible wikia pages that copy/pasted the plot summary from Wikipedia.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Predator 2 is the sort of movie that requires a bit of an investment from the watcher at the start, but has started paying off in huge, huge dividends by the time you get even halfway through. it's just bonkers. i don't think i've ever watched it fully sober and i don't want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Those alien kings aren't nearly phallic / Freudian enough.