Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Warroom Kickstarter hits this week but the preview shows it selling at $149 which leaves me out. That’s a lot of cash for a game I wouldn’t get to the table very often ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

Warroom Kickstarter hits this week but the preview shows it selling at $149 which leaves me out. That’s a lot of cash for a game I wouldn’t get to the table very often ever.

I was coming here to post about this. The $150 is too steep for me as well, especially considering the huge A&A edition that was just released at half that price. But in fairness, there are a ton of components to this game and the interlocking plastic stacks look neat. The game has some interesting concepts around bidding and secret orders, so I wonder how much the "Diplomacy" mechanics come into play. That could be kind of cool.

You can upgrade the 42" map to a 47" neoprene one for an additional $99. The large map also comes with those croupier sticks (they call them "command staves") so you can push your stacks around.

The goal is $150,000, so they'll need to sell 1,000 of the base kits to reach it. I dunno.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

After getting space empires over the weekend, I have now been convinced that I need to start clipping counters. Is there a cheaper alternative to the one usually posted here that costs $50? Is there an alternative name I could look for them at crafts stores like Michael’s/Hobby Lobby?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

After getting space empires over the weekend, I have now been convinced that I need to start clipping counters. Is there a cheaper alternative to the one usually posted here that costs $50? Is there an alternative name I could look for them at crafts stores like Michael’s/Hobby Lobby?

The non-deluxe model is $37 and that's what I use :shrug:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Fingernail clippers and a jig made from an old CD case.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Fingernail clippers and a jig made from an old CD case.

This is the argument for just getting the expensive one

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I played some legit ASL this past weekend.

The stories were true, it is possible!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been getting a bunch of retweets from GMT (apparently, you just take a picture of a game and add @gmtgames) and it is really pushing some buttons in the ol' reptile brain.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I played some legit ASL this past weekend.

The stories were true, it is possible!

How long did each turn take?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 30, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been getting a bunch of retweets from GMT (apparently, you just take a picture of a game and add @gmtgames) and it is really pushing some buttons in the ol' reptile brain.

How long did each turn take?

I played 2 small-size scenarios. Turns were probably about 10 minutes each at most, taking into account planning dice rolls and any rule-checking. Played one scenario twice, spent some time afterwards checking other games and being frustrated by my lovely rolling. (For example, I lost a game outright because my opponent rolled two 3's and a 2 on three separate shots against me and basically evaporated my center and I had no chance of winning. He also seemed to roll 4's whenever he needed it. :negative:)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I tried looking for more counter clippers and apparently all the types made for scrapbooking/etc. are for thin pieces of paper, so you can't easily slide counters into them. However, while looking through the counter clipping thread again, this stuck out to me:

quote:

It's sort of like the GMT Command & Colors games where you have to spend hours carefully affixing stickers to wood blocks so that you have "counters." The way it works is after the necessary labor is performed you play the game once or twice and then resell it for half the price of a "mint" game. Some have religion. Our hobby has counter clippers.
:allears:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You need the counterclipper specifically for cards, usually the best ones are the ones for rounding corners on business cards etc.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Oregon Laminations or get out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Rounding Corners is tantamount to child abuse.
#NaturalCornersAreSquare

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Never thought I'd see the return of "It's hip to be square"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The really nice ~deluxe~ counters in no retreat and triumph and tragedy all have rounded corners, which I think is done better than the 2.5mm punch. Is this the best option for rounded corners? I'm thinking the 3mm punch might overdo it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

The goal is $150,000, so they'll need to sell 1,000 of the base kits to reach it. I dunno.

Never listen to my dumb opinions. War Room looks like it'll reach its funding goal in under 24 hours. Impressive.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Wargaming was a mistake.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

The really nice ~deluxe~ counters in no retreat and triumph and tragedy all have rounded corners, which I think is done better than the 2.5mm punch. Is this the best option for rounded corners? I'm thinking the 3mm punch might overdo it.

I bought a 2mm because I don't want circular 1/2 inch counters. I just want the fluff removed.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CaptainRightful posted:

I bought a 2mm because I don't want circular 1/2 inch counters. I just want the fluff removed.
At what point does it stop being a "chit" and become a "pog?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ilor posted:

Once you start stapling them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

But the feel of the rounded corners

I tried clipping some corners with a nail clipper last night and they're fine, but since i got space empires 4x which needs hidden trackable counters that must be uniform, I'll probably get the cheaper oregon punch. Since I also don't want wear on them, I'll probably coat them with some sort of varnish too. Is that the preferred method? I have lots of varnish for painting miniatures.

Ilor posted:

When you start using slammers instead of dice to randomize combat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

I tried clipping some corners with a nail clipper last night and they're fine, but since i got space empires 4x which needs hidden trackable counters that must be uniform, I'll probably get the cheaper oregon punch. Since I also don't want wear on them, I'll probably coat them with some sort of varnish too. Is that the preferred method? I have lots of varnish for painting miniatures.
Preferred is kind of a loaded term, but if you're gonna do it - leave the counters on the sprues, varnish the whole sheet, then punch, then round.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ilor posted:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

drat it all, is there any hope of winning as NVA in solitaire Fire in the Lake? Solo ARVN is so easy it's boring, solo US or VC are challenging but winnable, and NVA is a waking nightmare -- I must have lost 7 or 8 games playing them! I think the full 1964-72 scenario is just hopeless because there's so little you can do about Patronage++ events and ARVN Govern. In my latest 1965-67 game, I actually got NVA over 18 Control+Bases for a hot minute, but running out of resources shut that down fast, as I couldn't afford to attack the enemy or move in fresh dudes. The medium-length game (1968-72) might be viable since you can do some nasty stuff with Easter Offensive (and prevent Linebacker II from screwing you, if you can keep US's score down) and ARVN doesn't have the time to run up the score quite as much, but I still lose consistently in final scoring.

There's a "Sortie Limit" rule that nerfs Air Strike which I use when US is a player. It feels a lot like cheating to impose it on the bot, but maybe I will if they keep degrading my loving Trail every turn! Wreaking havoc on the bots is cathartic at least, even if I'm consistently losing to a gang of flowcharts.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 1, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Unrelated longshot: Anyone ever seen Guerra a Muerte, a magazine game from 2008 that takes a grand strategy view of the Latin American wars of independence? I'm ordering a copy out of curiosity.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

drat it all, is there any hope of winning as NVA in solitaire Fire in the Lake?

I haven't played solo but were there updated bots for FitL? Both Herman and Volko are active on twitter, maybe shoot them a tweet and find out if any playtesters did.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

dishwasherlove posted:

I haven't played solo but were there updated bots for FitL? Both Herman and Volko are active on twitter, maybe shoot them a tweet and find out if any playtesters did.

The FitL bots are actually really good, the problem is more that the NVA just have no levers to deal with Patronage and by definition have to build up before being able to really affect the map, which can allow an early bot victory particularly in the 1964 scenario.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

drat it all, is there any hope of winning as NVA in solitaire Fire in the Lake? Solo ARVN is so easy it's boring, solo US or VC are challenging but winnable, and NVA is a waking nightmare -- I must have lost 7 or 8 games playing them! I think the full 1964-72 scenario is just hopeless because there's so little you can do about Patronage++ events and ARVN Govern. In my latest 1965-67 game, I actually got NVA over 18 Control+Bases for a hot minute, but running out of resources shut that down fast, as I couldn't afford to attack the enemy or move in fresh dudes. The medium-length game (1968-72) might be viable since you can do some nasty stuff with Easter Offensive (and prevent Linebacker II from screwing you, if you can keep US's score down) and ARVN doesn't have the time to run up the score quite as much, but I still lose consistently in final scoring.

There's a "Sortie Limit" rule that nerfs Air Strike which I use when US is a player. It feels a lot like cheating to impose it on the bot, but maybe I will if they keep degrading my loving Trail every turn! Wreaking havoc on the bots is cathartic at least, even if I'm consistently losing to a gang of flowcharts.

I haven't played FitL, but eventually I would stop playing and just see whether I could stack the deck in such a way that I could win -- i.e., see whether it's even theoretically possible, and how many cards have to go my way to make it work. How many good events have to come very early, how many bad ones have to happen at specific points. I would need to be familiar with how the other bots act though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My dude, I hate to tell you this, but NVA does not have control of Tay Ninh.

You could always apply human logic and have VC and US bots do anti patronage actions when ARVN is over the threshold.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Unrelated longshot: Anyone ever seen Guerra a Muerte, a magazine game from 2008 that takes a grand strategy view of the Latin American wars of independence? I'm ordering a copy out of curiosity.

Against The Odds is known for good production values and at least decent rules. I sorely miss the subscription I can't afford anymore.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

The FitL bots are actually really good, the problem is more that the NVA just have no levers to deal with Patronage and by definition have to build up before being able to really affect the map, which can allow an early bot victory particularly in the 1964 scenario.

In general, the COIN bots compensate for being presumably less intelligent, or at least less savvy, than a human opponent by preferring choices that screw the human player rather than choices that might help that particular bot win. So the US bot doesn't care about Patronage until it's too late.

Browsing through BGG session reports, I haven't seen any NVA solitaire wins, although there's a report of someone winning solitaire as the insurgent "team". Another person played through two all-bots matches, with ARVN winning one and US winning the other.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Against The Odds is known for good production values and at least decent rules. I sorely miss the subscription I can't afford anymore.

That's good to know. I've been toying with the idea of asking for the subscription for my birthday or something, and have (but haven't played yet) only a couple of the games.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CaptainRightful posted:

...all-bots matches...
This is some top-tier grog poo poo right here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ilor posted:

Wargames Thread - some top-tier grog poo poo right here

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

:eyepop:

hold up let me make some room for ADP....

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CaptainRightful posted:

In general, the COIN bots compensate for being presumably less intelligent, or at least less savvy, than a human opponent by preferring choices that screw the human player rather than choices that might help that particular bot win. So the US bot doesn't care about Patronage until it's too late.

Browsing through BGG session reports, I haven't seen any NVA solitaire wins, although there's a report of someone winning solitaire as the insurgent "team". Another person played through two all-bots matches, with ARVN winning one and US winning the other.

Also, the coin bots always do full op+special, which, especially for the US, gives them crazy amounts of opportunity to kill NVA units.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ilor posted:

Hell, I’ve done it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've always wrangled another person to play ADP with the group instead of trying to figure out the bot rules. I still don't understand that map and my eyes roll back when I try and read the instructions for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I mean, I get it as a way to test out the performance of the bots, but it also has a faint whiff of "forget not having enough friends to get this game on the table and being forced into solo play, this game is so esoteric that even I don't want to actually play it."