Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

buckets of buckets posted:

Can someone recommend me a start? I'm kind of sick of europe and want a new challenge. I like unifying cultural groups but I dislike colonizing if that helps

One of the minors in India sounds like about what you're looking for.

e: vv If you do Japan, you'll probably want to stop after uniting the place, since colonizing is the only sane method of expansion after that.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Can someone recommend me a start? I'm kind of sick of europe and want a new challenge. I like unifying cultural groups but I dislike colonizing if that helps

Ethiopia is a fun start, though colonizing toward the spice islands and filling in the African interior is recommended. Anywhere in India is good: Vijayanagar, Bahmanis, and Bengal are some of the stronger starts. Perhaps you could try uniting Japan as one of the Daimyo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You could do the tatar cultures run too, there's an achievement for it even

AnoHito posted:

e: vv If you do Japan, you'll probably want to stop after uniting the place, since colonizing is the only sane method of expansion after that.

there's nothing saner than deciding to conquer korea and china with just your home islands as a base

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

*conquers Korea, eyes up country with ~4 times my force limit and probably better mil tech*

I'm not sure 'sane' is what I'd call attacking into this...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s always fun going horde and taking them as far as you can go until you implode or dominate Eurasia

(No save scumming especially)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

AnoHito posted:

*conquers Korea, eyes up country with ~4 times my force limit and probably better mil tech*

I'm not sure 'sane' is what I'd call attacking into this...

Japan's destiny is to rule all of Asia. Attack China, or be forever known as a coward.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Tabarestan/qara qoyunlu into persia is always a fun start, and fits the bill. Unify the Iranian cultures, go up against the much more powerful (at first) Ottomans, and later the Russians.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

in hoi4 you're nothing more than a division designer who clicks attack

I'd much rather have something closer to that than what it is currently, where you have to manually control every single army across the entire world.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't represent the time period. Armies in EU4 weren't like armies in ww2

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can fix that problem by making force limits more historical

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'd honestly just like some basic commands like "Run away from the enemy" or "Defend this area" so I can focus on the main front without having to worry about the stack I have sieging halfway across the continent randomly getting wiped, or them sneaking like a 4k stack in to carpet Ireland when I wasn't looking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

It doesn't represent the time period. Armies in EU4 weren't like armies in ww2

Yeah, which is why I said I wanted something similar, not something exactly like it.

Literally all it has to be is a checkmark on the army UI saying "give the AI control of this army" and maybe some specific options for what you want it to do.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, which is why I said I wanted something similar, not something exactly like it.

Literally all it has to be is a checkmark on the army UI saying "give the AI control of this army" and maybe some specific options for what you want it to do.

I'll much rather see my troops do their thing, rather than babysit every single stack. It would alleviate the game being so easy against the AI combat-wise, too, by putting you in the same boat as it!

E:

You should still be able to give commands, or something else to do, of course.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why even play the game at all if you just want AI to do everything

just watch a timelapse on youtube or something

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
All right guys, I'm pretty new to EUIV and I just don't know how to make Portugal work. Like, I've restarted some six or seven times by now because something always ends up ruining my plans, usually Morocco and/or France.

My last attempt goes something like this: I'm trying to do as the missions suggest and conquer Tangiers - it has high trade value, looks like a sweet grab. But I can't go for Morocco alone early, so I ally Castile and Tlemcen and see if I can get them to help me out. Morocco meanwhile allies Aragon and Granada. I rival Granada thinking I can snatch up Gibraltar, at least. Portugal has a truce with Granada until 1449, but Castile's truce ends in 1448, so they grab Granada before I can. I still manage to get Gibraltar somehow, but Castile spend the next goddamn decade on that war and end up signing a truce with Granada and Morocco that lasts until 1461. Okay, fine, I guess I'll wait it out; I need more favors before I can drag them in anyway because they have no claims on Morocco. Meanwhile, Tlemcen just implodes while I wasn't paying attention - they didn't even ask me to help them, so now that entire area is Tunisian/Moroccan and my only ally in the region gone. 1466 rolls around while I'm waiting for the Castilian civil war to end and to tick up 10 favors - boom; French reconquest of Bordeaux drags me, England and Castile into war with France. While that's going on, Morocco declares on me over Ceuta, and Castile and England both ditch our alliance because they're too busy getting their poo poo pushed in by France. Morocco has higher military tech, more manpower, higher force limit, a better general and doesn't have to contend with a -2 strait crossing penalty, so honestly I feel kind of boned here if I still want to go for Tangiers.

Some variation of this seems to happen every time I give Portugal a go. Either Castile or England drag me into lovely wars with France and/or Aragon and then refuse to help me fight Morocco, defensive or otherwise. Sometimes Aragon mysteriously eats half of Castile, or they get forced to annul treaties and Morocco seizes the opportunity. On one occasion Morocco allied Tunis and Aragon and just sailed right up on Algarve - I'm not quite sure how their navy destroyed mine, but they did. Or it's France, Aragon and Naples/Provence/Venice that just march straight across Castile (which they sometimes ally) and murder my army and wreck my economy. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing if I want to capture Tangiers before 1500 - suggestions?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 31, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Phi230 posted:

Because I don't really see putting a bunch of small stacks of dudes on my colonies and shuffling them every 5 years as playing the game. They've already done the same thing with naval missions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Orissa.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I don't want the AI to do everything. I want the AI to do some things for me when I want to focus my attention elsewhere. This isn't a difficult concept.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fister Roboto posted:

All they need to do is enable subject military focus at the army level, for your own stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Because I don't really see putting a bunch of small stacks of dudes on my colonies and shuffling them every 5 years as playing the game. They've already done the same thing with naval missions.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't want the AI to do everything. I want the AI to do some things for me when I want to focus my attention elsewhere. This isn't a difficult concept.

I think it's from me suggesting combat being more like attack moving all your units in old RTS', adjusting their behaviour manually as needed.

It's just that combat is probably the most boring part of EU4 for me. Don't get me wrong, declaring or getting declared is exciting, but the actual mechanics aren't too thrilling, so they might as well make your units more autonomous.

For EU4. Creating combat from scratch would be preferable in EU5.

E:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

All they need to do is enable subject military focus at the army level, for your own stuff.

Yes, this, thank you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main problem is that it sounds like you're relying too much on your allies for expansion. Allies can be very fickle, and waiting for them to join you in a war is usually a waste of time. Waiting passively for favors is particularly a bad idea, because it will take a decade at the very least (more like 20 or 30 years if your ally is a lot stronger than you), and favors aren't even a guarantee that you can call them in anyway. From your report you've waited for over 20 years just to get pulled into a losing war with France. During that time you haven't gotten any stronger, but your enemies have.

First of all, ditch your alliance with England. Never Ally Perfidious Albion. Even if you call them into a war, they'll just sit on their island forever and never help, and at the same time they'll call you into wars with their continental enemies causing you to get crushed while they white peace unscathed.

Allying Tlmecen and Castile is a good idea. You probably won't be able to call Castile into war against Morocco, but Tlemcen is more than enough to deal with them. If Morocco allies with Granada, you definitely don't need to wait for your truce with Granada to end. Get military access from Castile and immediately occupy Gibraltar. That way you can park your fleet in the strait and prevent Morocco and Granada from uniting their armies. That lets you deal with Granada while Tlemcen deals with Morocco. Aragon getting called in isn't a big deal because Castile will never give them military access.

Annexing Granada might be a good idea. You'll cause a lot of AE, and it might be enough for Castile to break your alliance. You can try to keep them happy, or you can find other allies that hate them (France and/or Aragon) to keep you safe.

tl;dr: you're passing up too many good opportunities waiting for the perfect one to never happen

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 31, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All right guys, I'm pretty new to EUIV and I just don't know how to make Portugal work. Like, I've restarted some six or seven times by now because something always ends up ruining my plans, usually Morocco and/or France.

My last attempt goes something like this: I'm trying to do as the missions suggest and conquer Tangiers - it has high trade value, looks like a sweet grab. But I can't go for Morocco alone early, so I ally Castile and Tlemcen and see if I can get them to help me out. Morocco meanwhile allies Aragon and Granada. I rival Granada thinking I can snatch up Gibraltar, at least. Portugal has a truce with Granada until 1449, but Castile's truce ends in 1448, so they grab Granada before I can. I still manage to get Gibraltar somehow, but Castile spend the next goddamn decade on that war and end up signing a truce with Granada and Morocco that lasts until 1461. Okay, fine, I guess I'll wait it out; I need more favors before I can drag them in anyway because they have no claims on Morocco. Meanwhile, Tlemcen just implodes while I wasn't paying attention - they didn't even ask me to help them, so now that entire area is Tunisian/Moroccan and my only ally in the region gone. 1466 rolls around while I'm waiting for the Castilian civil war to end and to tick up 10 favors - boom; French reconquest of Bordeaux drags me, England and Castile into war with France. While that's going on, Morocco declares on me over Ceuta, and Castile and England both ditch our alliance because they're too busy getting their poo poo pushed in by France. Morocco has higher military tech, more manpower, higher force limit, a better general and doesn't have to contend with a -2 strait crossing penalty, so honestly I feel kind of boned here if I still want to go for Tangiers.

Some variation of this seems to happen every time I give Portugal a go. Either Castile or England drag me into lovely wars with France and/or Aragon and then refuse to help me fight Morocco, defensive or otherwise. Sometimes Aragon mysteriously eats half of Castile, or they get forced to annul treaties and Morocco seizes the opportunity. On one occasion Morocco allied Tunis and Aragon and just sailed right up on Algarve - I'm not quite sure how their navy destroyed mine, but they did. Or it's France, Aragon and Naples/Provence/Venice that just march straight across Castile (which they sometimes ally) and murder my army and wreck my economy. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing if I want to capture Tangiers before 1500 - suggestions?

With Portugal you're surrounded by stronger powers initially and won't have much opportunity to expand into Spain or North Africa. What you do have, though, is ideal footing for exploring and colonizing elsewhere to build up your power base until you're ready to expand in Europe.

There are two real routes for colonizing, to the New World and down Africa, which will eventually take you through to Asia. Between starting with an explorer, your island holdings, and your colonial range national idea, you are going to beat everyone else to colonizing. Ideally you want to capitalize on both routes of expansion, and have missions about doing so.

You still want to maintain defensive alliances, but your focus initially should be on maintaining your Portuguese holdings against the land superiority of your neighbors while you gear up to outspend everyone with your trade income.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Could someone remind me the date Cradle of Civilization comes out?

Still unsure if I will buy it but I am looking forward to the map changes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just did a quick game as Portugal to test out the strategy. Here's me in 1450, after my first war with Morocco:

I actually had to dishonor my alliance with Castile because they wanted to drag me into an early war with Aragon. That would have ruined my plans in exchange for practically nothing. Getting the attack Morocco as soon as possible gave me a much bigger advantage. Granada and Fez (Melilla) are my vassals, and Tlemcen owes me enough favors to call them into another war if I want. Castile and Morocco have no allies currently, and all Castile got out of the war with Aragon was a PU over Navarra (lol). I'll have a tech advantage over Castile for a very long time thanks to their garbage monarch and heir, so I could easily kick their asses for the next few decades if I wanted, removing them from the competition for colonization. I've set myself up in a really great position in less than 10 years.

Bottom line: being aggressive and taking risks really pays off.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Could someone remind me the date Cradle of Civilization comes out?

Still unsure if I will buy it but I am looking forward to the map changes.

November 16th.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Hi, CK2 player here thinking of grabbing this during the Halloween sale. I can afford the base game and one, mayyybe two expansions with the remainder of my fun money for the month. Which ones would you all recommend for someone who prefers internal politicking over blobbing?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

Hi, CK2 player here thinking of grabbing this during the Halloween sale. I can afford the base game and one, mayyybe two expansions with the remainder of my fun money for the month. Which ones would you all recommend for someone who prefers internal politicking over blobbing?

Cossacks and Rights of Man, I'd say. Though honestly EU4 doesn't really have much for you in terms of internal politicking, and is almost entirely a country vs country thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE BAR posted:

November 16th.
Thank you!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There isn't much to do in EU4 except blob and paint the map, it's kind of the entire point of the game

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not liking Colonization makes for very suboptimal game play. Pretty much every Indian/Asian country will greatly profit from it and it should be picked as first or second idea. Your first colonization goal is to close off the cape so Europeans can't get to Asia. Also make sure you discover the coast of the Americas so you have a chance to spawn Colonialism in Asia, which makes live for the euros that much harder.
Once you got the Cape sealed off you colonize 5 provinces in Australia to get a CN, work a bit on the Philippines and make sure to get Alaska and California CNs. Mexico can be very useful too.

It will slow your growth at first but by around 1550 you'll be more powerful than anyone else in the region and super rich with all the trade.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The greatest joy in EU4 is ensuring your borders are pretty enough and your name on the map is perfectly aligned.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Fister Roboto posted:

tl;dr: you're passing up too many good opportunities waiting for the perfect one to never happen

To be clear, I did take Gibraltar pretty consistently. Just, translating that win into successful inroads into North Africa never seemed to quite work out. Relying on allies is more of a consequence of not being able to match Morocco in tech or manpower.

However! I continued playing the campaign mentioned above. Morocco/Aragon declared on me and Castile/England ditched. Furthermore, Castile did give Aragon military access, so they started sieging Lisbon first opportunity they got. I had forgotten strait crossing penalties don't apply if you're marching into a province with your own fort, so I trained units above my force limit and somehow, narrowly managed to beat out the Moroccan army in Ceuta. The AI attacked another few times, but I narrowly won those too. I'll be honest though, a fourth offensive probably wouldn't have ended well, especially since Aragon had sieged all of my homeland by that point - but Morocco were happy enough to peace out at that point. I even got war reparations. Nice.

Re-allied Castile afterwards (but not England), who had taken the opportunity to punch Aragon in the national nuts and now held half their lands. Morocco ditched Aragon and allied the Mamluks instead. Ten years later, I manage to get Castile to join me in conquering North Africa, and with their help, by God, it actually worked out. Tangiers goes to me, Melilla and Gharb goes to Castile. Tunis pounces on what remains of Morocco and takes most of the southern regions. Morocco is now literally just Fez and a handful of provinces around Haha. I'm allied to both Castile and Tunis, free to focus on overseas colonization. Jolof and Mali are next on the chopping block now that the situation in Europe and North Africa feels a lot more solid.

So... I guess seventh time's the charm, huh? :toot: I really feel that I wouldn't have been able to win any of these wars without Castile on my side, though, and it was really touch and go there when Morocco declared. Several of the battles came down to being just a few morale points away from spiraling out of control, probably fatally.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 1, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

The greatest joy in EU4 is ensuring your borders are pretty enough and your name on the map is perfectly aligned.

I would do horrible, disgusting things for a DLC allowing you to tweak your map name. Bonus points for also letting you tweak and maybe rename exclave names.

I'm surprised Paradox has never done that, it would sell like hotcakes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be clear, I did take Gibraltar pretty consistently. Just, translating that win into successful inroads into North Africa never seemed to quite work out. Relying on allies is more of a consequence of not being able to match Morocco in tech or manpower.

You can easily match them though. You start with a lovely regency and a below average monarch, but they start with an even shittier monarch. Set your focus to military and you'll be able to out tech them. They have a slightly larger force limit than you but that's not something you need Castile to deal with. You can easily take them on with the strategy I outlined.

Like I said, you're waiting way too long for the perfect opportunity to strike. 10 years to wait for Castile to get off their asses is a huge waste. What are you doing in the meantime?

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I would do horrible, disgusting things for a DLC allowing you to tweak your map name. Bonus points for also letting you tweak and maybe rename exclave names.

I'm surprised Paradox has never done that, it would sell like hotcakes.

I occasionally go into the localisation and change a country's name to something i feel makes more sense given the events of the campaign i am currently playing, so i would absolutely love that dlc. Then again i play more EU4 more as an alternate history simulator (which it's not actually very good at being tbh) than a strategy game so I'm probably kinda weird

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gobblecoque posted:

Tell me more :smug:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

EU4: The Cartographer's Revenge DLC, coming spring 2019

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A map mode that shows your cores and claims as your territory, occupied by the current owner, even when at peace :random flag weeps:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here’s a neat thing I just learnt from watching a bit of DDRJake’s videos: if an army attacks another army currently besieging a fort, and fails to break it, the siege progress thing goes up by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Hey if Multiplayer, Twitch and Devs being super cringy is your thing maybe this is of interest...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-clash-9-happy-three-friends-tuesdays-15-00-cet.1052952/

• Locked thread