Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Grombrindal 100% looks like the kind of dwarf who'd have 50% pyrotechnics in his starting force and I love it. My economy is toilet, I do not have the money to upgrade Gunabd or my home province and no real way of getting some flat infusions, but I'm almost kind of pushing back against orc death waves. A surprisingly unboring dwarf campaign.

Loved when my grudge throwers pegged a rock right into the back of my extremely valuable RoR warriors though, that was good. Twice.

e: Miners should really have the siege attacker flag, no idea why theyre given 'good against gates' but not that.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Gitro posted:

Jesus gently caress why won't nordland actually goddamn rally to fight me, or at least move their army. I don't want to do your awful sieges as beastmen, game, I've done too many of those and they're not fun any more.

Best way to get field battles as beastmen is to use a secondary weaker stack(or even just a lord with one unit) to raid near enough to enemy armies that they will run out to try kill, meanwhile your main stack is in hidden encampment nearby waiting to jump on the enemy.
Either they walk into you camp stance ambush or they position themselves poorly enough that you can engage once it becomes your turn, enemy AI just loves to hunt down weak looking hordes and black arks and will very often beeline for those "soft" targets.
Doesn't always work but works often enough, also makes me wish chaos had ambush stance too, to make it easier to do the same with them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like it when the AI spawns a new lord stack outside their main city so you can just beeline the dude and suck their entire garrison and army into the field to die GLORIOUSLY.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best way to use the influence system to get someone to like you is to send a bunch of Nobles to their biggest enemy to Secure Influence the poo poo out of them.

The Orcs will be won over by all the sick burns your Nobles are dropping on their foes and decide you're alright.*

*I picture the Secure Influence action as your Noble hanging around being foppish, arrogant, catty and impossible to get rid of. Stalking their court, appearing out of nowhere to drop confidence destroying bon mots and then effortlessly escaping into the night.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

The best way to use the influence system to get someone to like you is to send a bunch of Nobles to their biggest enemy to Secure Influence the poo poo out of them.

The Orcs will be won over by all the sick burns your Nobles are dropping on their foes and decide you're alright.*

*I picture the Secure Influence action as your Noble hanging around being foppish, arrogant, catty and impossible to get rid of. Stalking their court, appearing out of nowhere to drop confidence destroying bon mots and then effortlessly escaping into the night.

Make sure you're only using your lovely nobles that you didn't pay any influence for so their traits are terrible and you know they're standing behind Malekith's throne making fart noises every time he takes a step.

INFLUENCE SECURED

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SickZip posted:

Also this is my next campaign.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Can I use elf court intrigue or whatever to ally orcs and then war co-ordinate them to destroy my enemies while I sit at home?

No, because orcs get wiped out by dwarfs without exception.

But in theory, yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vargs posted:

No, because orcs get wiped out by dwarfs without exception.

But in theory, yes.

I'll just use it to secure the services of Sutha Ek instead.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I tried a Morathi ME campaign and I've decided that I hate her spells. Is it just me or does she have some of the worst options from each school she has access to?

Other than making shades the absolute best and killing enemy lords with her insane charge modifier I think she is my least favorite lord though. Her start is really nice, 4 trade goods and a port, but it still feels painfully slow compared to Queek.

Greatweapon shades with all of Morathi's bonuses are pretty silly though. Almost makes up for her spell selection.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

kingcom posted:

Dwarven Ratbuddies is my favourite part of this campaign by far.

How about Dark Elf Mungbuddies?

Sure, we fuckin hate each other, but that doesn't mean we can't let each other trample over our mutual enemies!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vampire Counts are really interesting now. Once they get the foundation changes in (especially for Kemmler and Krell) it could be one of the most interesting in the game. You can take the mountains south and east of you, expand through the badlands, and shack up with the vamps down in the Southlands. You can do the standard "eat the Empire people" thing and expand north and west. You can even confederate with Mousillon and start messing with the poncy not-French.

On top of that, your magic is potent as gently caress. You've got access to three of the best lores in the game, and they've all been changed for the better. You monsters are still smashy, your cavalry is still good, and now your magic is pretty much crazy overkill.

On top of that, the changes to the unit buildings means you can get access to better units at lower tiers (without it being ridiculous), while still letting you build your economy tall rather than wide, should you need/want to.

All in all, it's loving great. Once they get the foundation changes in it should be even better. The only real issue with it is the Dwarf ball that inevitably confederates the rest of the hemisphere. I probably should've focused down the Dwarves above all else.

Meanwhile, that mod that fixes the Chaos invasion works and is wonderful.

EDIT:

Also saw this: https://gfycat.com/NewEnchantingLice 420 Blaze It, the gif.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 1, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I can't tell if I don't like the AI having the Climate system ( because everything is now just blobs, that kill the other blobs, and there is zero diversity in the mid/lategame ). Or if that's not an issue of the Climate system, but rather the stupidly aggressive/hostile AI the game currently has that's causing everyone to invade everyone else and leading to said blobs.

Or if the true secret all along is that the Dwarfs/Norsca/VC have always been the worst, only held back by the fact they couldn't conquer/do anything with the half of the map I was usually playing on so I'd just glance down and say "huh that's hosed" then go back to having a fun game.

I'm worried because I am pretty sure it's 3, which means CA is never going to fix it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Either the banshee or wight king should have gotten a skill to haunt ruins, it would be very fitting of them. It could spread vampiric corruption and make it more difficult for others to capture. In turn Warrior priests and runesmiths could get a skill that reverses the effect.

In other words give more things to interact with ruins so there's some incentive to raze more.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just wish there was a Loot & Raze option

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

I just wish there was a Loot & Raze option

Yeah but that would be too fast. You'd be assigning your guys to obliterate or steal. It's hard to effectively steal as you obliterate.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All they need to do to ruins is move the treasure hunting from lords to heroes, there is already a "Scout Ruin" action but all it does is detect skaven, if there are no skaven it should go straight to the multiple choice treasure hunt.

All of them are written as if it was just a few guys doing these things anyway and not with 5000 guys coming along for the ride.

And with the restrictive 15% upkeep per lord you can't afford to spend a extra 2-5k a turn just searching the occasional ruin.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eschatos posted:

How about Dark Elf Mungbuddies?

Sure, we fuckin hate each other, but that doesn't mean we can't let each other trample over our mutual enemies!

Do they not turn hostile when chaos shows up?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I can't tell if I don't like the AI having the Climate system ( because everything is now just blobs, that kill the other blobs, and there is zero diversity in the mid/lategame ). Or if that's not an issue of the Climate system, but rather the stupidly aggressive/hostile AI the game currently has that's causing everyone to invade everyone else and leading to said blobs.

Or if the true secret all along is that the Dwarfs/Norsca/VC have always been the worst, only held back by the fact they couldn't conquer/do anything with the half of the map I was usually playing on so I'd just glance down and say "huh that's hosed" then go back to having a fun game.

I'm worried because I am pretty sure it's 3, which means CA is never going to fix it.

Using the AI climate and no confederations mods helps. Definitely recommend it as long as you don't mind being unable to confederate too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

1. Skeletons have no will of their own and are essentially puppets. Their synchronized walk is a mark of the Necromancer's direct control and the fact that Skeletons are the form of undead that require the most direct control
2. Its a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY&feature=youtu.be

e: thats what i get for looking up the clip

The first point is horseshit. So zombies have will of their own and aren't puppets? C'mon son, it's just a "remember that movie from the 60s?" thing. All VC lesser undead, skeletons and wights and zombies, are puppets/slaves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

The first point is horseshit. So zombies have will of their own and aren't puppets? C'mon son, it's just a "remember that movie from the 60s?" thing. All VC lesser undead, skeletons and wights and zombies, are puppets/slaves.

Wights have some intelligence.
Zombies are not properly controled like Skels. Skeletons obey complex orders and can march in formation. There is also the fact if their master ordered them to kill someone that just went into a house. Skeletons would do stuff like try the doorknob or check if they can get in through a window before just running into the door to knock it down. Zombies can't do anything complex they just shamble forward doing what their told by the most direct means possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Still, the reason is mostly just the reference to Harryhausen and that it looks funny.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Randarkman posted:

Still, the reason is mostly just the reference to Harryhausen and that it looks funny.

Yeah.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wights have some intelligence.
Zombies are not properly controled like Skels. Skeletons obey complex orders and can march in formation. There is also the fact if their master ordered them to kill someone that just went into a house. Skeletons would do stuff like try the doorknob or check if they can get in through a window before just running into the door to knock it down. Zombies can't do anything complex they just shamble forward doing what their told by the most direct means possible.

Skeletons also have some intelligence, that's why they know how to swing a sword and otherwise have better MA/MD than zombies. The marching in perfect sync thing is 100% a joke by CA. There's nothing special about skeletons that'd make them do it but not wights/black knights/etc.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys build armies tailor made to counter the race you are sending them against when playing the campaign? Just curious really. I've always made one "THIS SHOULD BEAT ALL" army template.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys build armies tailor made to counter the race you are sending them against when playing the campaign? Just curious really. I've always made one "THIS SHOULD BEAT ALL" army template.

I tend to stick to one-size-fits-all armies. Though if I take a bunch of losses and have a chance to adapt my army to the next likely opponent I'll switch them up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dongattack posted:

too much hassle to do that, so i just make a balanced army and try to win every battle through tactical superiority instead. or i just stack ranged and win through autoresolve hijinks.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
To weigh in on the debate over access to unit tiers in the campaign, I wish they would have experimented with this more but I can't imagine them breaking from their bog standard unlock formula anytime in the next decade. Having access to high tier units limited instead by total amount you can field, a soft cap, instead of a hard cap honestly sounds like a really good solution for games like this, but it really doesn't seem popular with the hoi polloi of strategy gamers who seem to favor linear progression. I think in the end the game could be much better balanced / have better flow if army composition was a little stricter like the tabletop, but with a lot more opportunity to fill those off slots with fun stuff from the start.

But just... Goddammit I just want to know why CA insists on keeping a paid DLC unit (Knights of the Blazing Sun) essentially unusable for the first 100 turns, likely more, even if you beeline for their recruitment province and pump priests into it to promote growth. It's easier to get any other unit from any other faction in the game by an order of magnitude, and it just so happens to be my favorite knightly order. Not that I care that they didn't really translate the lore of being the smart / tactician knights and essentially just a flaming lance delivery system, which is cool enough and I can live with, but I just want to use them in the campaign!

I'll probably just find a mod for this, maybe Steel Faith if it isn't garbage by the time moral empires gets patched up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GoLambo posted:

To weigh in on the debate over access to unit tiers in the campaign, I wish they would have experimented with this more but I can't imagine them breaking from their bog standard unlock formula anytime in the next decade. Having access to high tier units limited instead by total amount you can field, a soft cap, instead of a hard cap honestly sounds like a really good solution for games like this, but it really doesn't seem popular with the hoi polloi of strategy gamers who seem to favor linear progression. I think in the end the game could be much better balanced / have better flow if army composition was a little stricter like the tabletop, but with a lot more opportunity to fill those off slots with fun stuff from the start.

But just... Goddammit I just want to know why CA insists on keeping a paid DLC unit (Knights of the Blazing Sun) essentially unusable for the first 100 turns, likely more, even if you beeline for their recruitment province and pump priests into it to promote growth. It's easier to get any other unit from any other faction in the game by an order of magnitude, and it just so happens to be my favorite knightly order. Not that I care that they didn't really translate the lore of being the smart / tactician knights and essentially just a flaming lance delivery system, which is cool enough and I can live with, but I just want to use them in the campaign!

I'll probably just find a mod for this, maybe Steel Faith if it isn't garbage by the time moral empires gets patched up.

There is a mod for Better Blazing Sun Recruitment.

Steel Faith will always be Nazi garbage.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

sassassin posted:

I drive a BMW made during the reign of the Kohls CDU, which is hardly much different from being associated with an wannabe internet nazi and probably much worse in terms of actual damage if you think about it.

I really liked a lot of Steel Faiths overall changes, but then they would just do random poo poo like totally wreck the chaos economy for no reason. I hate juggling mods to get the perfect user experience and prefer a comprehensive reforms that are easier to manage, but in the end this seems to mean banking on other people not being really stupid about something game breaking, which is apparently asking a lot.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Robo Turnus posted:

Im clan angrund and chaos has officially skipped their invasion. Its turn 150 or so and the main dwarf faction and I are splitting old world with vampires. Skarsnik killed off the empire and the wood elves, but now I'm coming to murder him. I don't know if I'm going to bother crossing the sea to murk other elves or not. I'm still real drat poor. All the good provinces the dwarves still own. It might be time to start a civil war.

I think in some cases Chaos don't invade until you have progressed through some campaign missions. I remember the same thing happening in my Norsca campaign, but they eventually did turn up after I stopped neglecting those missions (I was too busy conquering).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm playing chaos an by the time I left the north a de/chaos rogue doomstack had torn up the human realms. It's full of top tier units but thankfully it asked to be friends. So the game is essentially too easy as there are rats backfilling my conquest, the rogue stack is just loving things up so I can easily raze and grow and I turned the north into this idiotic Thunderdome with Sigvald standing in on area with chariots (holy Christ chariots own) fighting off ten stacks of Northmen per turn. Oh yeah Karl rocked up on the coast (presumably running from doomstack) and Siggy took him out so he's pretty proud of himself.

This ME game is loving weird and wild...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dongattack posted:

In the case of extremes like VC or dwarves, sure. Usually you know if you're going to be crusading against one particular faction for a while.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dongattack posted:

Always one template. It's too much trouble to make customized armies and it's counterproductive given that your armies are going to level up and be fighting different things over time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dongattack posted:

Only if I'm sending an army on a long rear end important campaign against a mostly specific enemy type. In my Vortex Tyrion campaign I had a bunch of "fight Dark Elves" armies that studiously avoided anything that wasn't flying/mounted or had shields because the AI Dark Elves love masses of repeater crossbows, for example; I found using elite infantry was seriously useless because of the AI's tendency to mass focus fire them and even normal archers were vulnerable to significant casualties. In TWW1 I used to have designated Chaos fighting stacks that loaded up on AP at the cost of stuff like shields because Chaos doesn't really shoot you.

For general use it's mostly versatile stacks. In TWW1 I didn't even bother making specific Vampire fighting stacks because they tended to be small and the campaign against them was short, but that might change in ME because of their ability to expand south and east.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Steel Fauth is no longer run by a Nazi.

Unfortunately the new guy sucks.

Maybe its my background in paradox games, but I just kindof assume any large mods are made by nazis/monarchist/people-who-use-the-term-red-pill-unironically/serbs. You have to seperate the art from the artist because the kind of person who pours hundreds of hours of unpaid labor into modding is gonna be weird and at least their devoting all their energy into something harmless.

Normal people follow the path of the guy who made the glory mods:
Week 1: "hey guys im only modding on weekend mornings from now on so i have a life"
Week 2: "sorry guys i didnt mod this weekend, i went out drinking last night"
Week3: "i quit modding"

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

kingcom posted:

Do they not turn hostile when chaos shows up?

Chaos hasn't shown up yet so :shrug: . Mung is next on my kill list after I finish taking over the Broken Lands, anyway.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I understand that this might not be a popular opinion but.... the new victory conditions seem kind of pointless? I mean, before you even get close to the short campaign options, I mean even vaguely close, you are leading like 5 invincible doomstacks. What’s the point? There is definitely a part of the early to mid game where this game is extremely engaging and challenging, but the victory conditions are just stupid. In fact. It makes me question the whole point of the interconnected world in the game. It slows everything down a lot over time, and by the time you are capable of engaging with it you are effectively invincible. Am I crazy here?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the bonus part of the enormous turn times is I don't feel bad going back to Atilla or DeI Rome 2 anymore

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it seems like turn times got faster for me once I could see more of the map, or maybe it's because I've wiped out ma few dozen factions. Mid-game is rough though. I felt like turn times were like 2 minutes every time, which sucks on turns where you really only click a few buttons to keep things moving before ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why do Hat elves have 3 kinds of dragon? From the stats it looks like a straight upgrade?