Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Armacham posted:

My first playthrough was a human culture that embraces Fully Automated Luxury Space Communism

edit: I ran out of energy because I expanded too fast and got conquered by bird people.

A Good first playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hey new guys,

Here are some mods that don't affect gameplay but improve on aesthetics or other flavor things:
Color coded pop status icons
Beautiful Universe
Name List
Epic Explosions
Expanded Colours
Tiny Outliner
War Name Variety (No More Brawls)

This one modifies planets but is essential.
Guilli's Planet Modifiers

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aethernet posted:

Assume they're referring to the Turtledove story of the same name, although the Moties are similar - they're not so much advanced as impossibly inventive.
The Moties are super-fecund super-inventive aliens from Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "The Mote in God's Eye" and sequel. In Stellaris terms, they lived in a star system without any hyperlane access, until ANOTHER protostar in their deep, thick nebula ignited and created a new hyperlane bypass. The problem for humans is that if they let the Moties build a colony elsewhere the Moties will rapidly outcompete humans. Even if the Moties - who are explicitly in no way culturally unified - left every human planet alone, they'd get to every other planet swiftly.

So while this has uncomfortable implications taken as a work of literature, it'd be an interesting gameplay challenge!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BurntCornMuffin posted:

A Good first playthrough.

My first play through involved me ticking off a fallen empire by rivalling them because it gave lots of influence and I was influence starved, and also being all terrified at these DANGEROUS TECHNOLOGIES

:allears:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

GunnerJ posted:

how loving dare you

DO NOT HARM SNAILIENS THEY ARE THE BEST

In my game, snaliens are loving, friendly, slimy, annoying houseguests that want to settle their feeble, deviant children on all of your planets.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I managed to do the 1 planet thing this last playthrough by cheesing a bit and setting the AI to "Not Kill". It worked pretty neat, and only got a bit hairy when the rear end in a top hat devourer to my south tried to eat me, but I managed to build up enough corvettes and draw his fleet into my fortress and forced them into being a tributary. It went slow as far as I can tell with me only getting my science nexus built around 90 years in, but my federation won around 175 years in after stomping every FE and AFE after they got a little froggy. I liked it a lot since the early game is really tense. A lot of luck is needed, though, since if you get boxed in early you are hosed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Played this a bit at launch and get the basic systems and mechanics. About to dive in with all the DLC. Are there any mods considered "really cool and good" or "must have"?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GunnerJ posted:

Potentially very relevant to the future of wormholes:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/924992187653414915

yesss, it looks fuckin great too. I'm assuming the target star color decides the color of the wormhole?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Welcome to the republican party

Xenophobic and Militarist Decadent Authoritarians with Syncretic Evolution.

The glorious self actualized Boot Strappers ruling over the prole Unwashed Masses.

:smug:

Or at least that is my Space Republicans build.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Played this a bit at launch and get the basic systems and mechanics. About to dive in with all the DLC. Are there any mods considered "really cool and good" or "must have"?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Hey new guys,

Here are some mods that don't affect gameplay but improve on aesthetics or other flavor things:
Color coded pop status icons
Beautiful Universe
Name List
Epic Explosions
Expanded Colours
Tiny Outliner
War Name Variety (No More Brawls)

This one modifies planets but is essential.
Guilli's Planet Modifiers

There are a bunch more I can link if you want things that change gameplay (combat, extra events, etc)

I would say War Name, Name List, and Guilli's Planet Modifiers are the most essential mods in this list

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

There are a bunch more I can link if you want things that change gameplay (combat, extra events, etc)

I would say War Name, Name List, and Guilli's Planet Modifiers are the most essential mods in this list

The problem is that most of those mods break achievements and ironman too.

Of course if you're just playing for the hell of it, you don't care about achievements, and in that case just go for Guilli's. And grab the Extra Events mods too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

e: Extra Events

Since I'm already avoiding work

IAmTheRad posted:

The problem is that most of those mods break achievements and ironman too.

Of course if you're just playing for the hell of it, you don't care about achievements, and in that case just go for Guilli's. And grab the Extra Events mods too.

Yeah that's true. If you just want iron man, stick to the cosmetic mods I posted. I thiiiink those should all be compatible.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

e: Extra Events

Since I'm already avoiding work

Yeah that's true. If you just want iron man, stick to the cosmetic mods I posted. I thiiiink those should all be compatible.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=844250097

Changing names breaks achievements. This list is confirmed achievement and ironman safe. Of course just use one of the empire color mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

MilkmanLuke posted:

In my game, snaliens are loving, friendly, slimy, annoying houseguests that want to settle their feeble, deviant children on all of your planets.

Yesss I am so glad this caught on.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=844250097

Changing names breaks achievements. This list is confirmed achievement and ironman safe. Of course just use one of the empire color mods.

Ooh, good to know. That list will be handy.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

GunnerJ posted:

Yesss I am so glad this caught on.

I 100% stole this idea from you, and my multiplayer game people hate you for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

MilkmanLuke posted:

I 100% stole this idea from you, and my multiplayer game people hate you for it.

This totally made my day, yo. :unsmith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:flashfap:

It's seeming more and more like hyperlanes will become the default method of travel.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Having natural wormholes in the game doesn't necessarily mean wormhole FTL is out. For one thing, the fact that it's being labelled as a "natural" wormhole implies that the player has reason to care about "artificial" wormholes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm hoping that you can build your own wormholes and that's what the one with the structure around it is, though it could be just stabilizing an existing one perhaps.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I remember Wiz also mentioned wanting to have wormholes as an exploration thing that lead to isolated systems where weird story/event stuff could be hidden. That's the kind of thing that would be expansion material since it can be disabled without affecting anything else.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm going to guess that you can either build your own wormholes/jump gates and that is what that purple thing was. Or you can stabilize or control natural wormholes, meaning only you and your allies can utilize it.

That could also be totally wrong. The 'natural wormholes could just be like the ones in MOO2, allowing you to instantly travel great distances instantly.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Are tachyon lances / super long range battleships still good? First time getting to the end game, I remember these being talked about a lot in the thread.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

gowb posted:

Are tachyon lances / super long range battleships still good? First time getting to the end game, I remember these being talked about a lot in the thread.

It depends heavily on what you're fighting tbh. They fare a lot better against the scourge than they do against the unbidden etc.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Having natural wormholes in the game doesn't necessarily mean wormhole FTL is out. For one thing, the fact that it's being labelled as a "natural" wormhole implies that the player has reason to care about "artificial" wormholes.

I could see artificial wormholes requiring a station at both ends in order to function. Maybe multiple stations could link together to create a secondary network on top of the standard hyperlanes, with the maximum distance between stations improving with tech.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sindai posted:

I remember Wiz also mentioned wanting to have wormholes as an exploration thing that lead to isolated systems where weird story/event stuff could be hidden. That's the kind of thing that would be expansion material since it can be disabled without affecting anything else.

More interesting map generation with clusters accessible off the main galactic network would be interesting.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Bloody Pom posted:

I could see artificial wormholes requiring a station at both ends in order to function. Maybe multiple stations could link together to create a secondary network on top of the standard hyperlanes, with the maximum distance between stations improving with tech.

Goodness, you’re just dead set on this hyperlanes only idea huh?

How’s about, instead of having a single doom stack fleet, you split it up, instead of protecting a front line, protect your assets. The whole schtick behind multiple FTL types is to keep you on your toes, to adapt to the different FTL types of your enemies.

Map the hyperlanes use that knowledge to cut them off, use warps slow charge/wind down time to get ahead of your enemy, destroy the wormhole stations to cripple their movement, etc.

It keeps fleet maneuvering in a war strategic, rather than a wet bag of everyone having the same thing.

Each FTL type is perfectly capable of countering/forcing an engagement from the other, you just have to play them right is all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Technical Analysis posted:

Goodness, you’re just dead set on this hyperlanes only idea huh?

How’s about, instead of having a single doom stack fleet, you split it up, instead of protecting a front line, protect your assets. The whole schtick behind multiple FTL types is to keep you on your toes, to adapt to the different FTL types of your enemies.

Map the hyperlanes use that knowledge to cut them off, use warps slow charge/wind down time to get ahead of your enemy, destroy the wormhole stations to cripple their movement, etc.

It keeps fleet maneuvering in a war strategic, rather than a wet bag of everyone having the same thing.

Each FTL type is perfectly capable of countering/forcing an engagement from the other, you just have to play them right is all.

Lmao “strategic”. It’s tedious busy work determining how to time your jumps of x ftl type to chase down annoying rear end fleet of y ftl type, no one has ever felt like a strategic mastermind dealing with that poo poo. If anything it feels like doing your taxes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

*splits his 10k fleet into 3 3k fleets*

*gets stomped by the enemy 10k doom stack which has no need to split up*

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

You don’t have to time your fleets or anything ridiculous like that, just use the disadvantages of your enemies FTL type as your advantage, maneuver smart with multiple fleets, and you too can counter any FTL method being used to attack you.

Or you can stick with the doomstack brute force, Fox only, no items, Final Destination that you prefer. Just don’t act as if your method of playing the game is anymore valid or fun than anyone else’s.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

*splits his 10k fleet into 3 3k fleets*

*gets stomped by the enemy 10k doom stack which has no need to split up*

Don't fling your 3k fleets into the enemy 10k fleet then, use whichever one their fleet is chasing as bait, set up a trap with a defense station/starport for extra firepower if you need it, converge all fleets on the enemy, etc.

I know the game is fairly two dimensional in it's representation of the Galaxy and the implementation of FTL, but that doesn't mean you have to restrict your strategic thinking to only two dimensions.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My first stellaris playthrough was ironically my best one. It was shortly before Unity released, I played a race of hyper xenophilic, pacifist mushrooms on a large galaxy. Me and my roughly equally large federation buddy spanned half the galaxy, with a bunch of tiny states scattered around us from liberation wars, which we were in basically 100% of the time. Also, I had migration agreements with many empires for most of the early/mid game, which resulted in my mushrooms constantly revolting against their oppressive non-xenophilic, pacifist empires, making micro 1 system states, and getting instantly either protectorated/vassilized by me/my buddy, or just invited into the federation.

By mid game, we'd assimilated the fanatic purifiers between us, and some years later the xenophobe FE to the north of us (we were on the north side of the galaxy). Then the scourge appeared right on top of me, which we also made short work of. The far south xenophile FE then awakened to protect the galaxy from said scourge and started conquering the shitlords around them. Eventually we decided their version of xenophilia isn't as good as the mushroom pacifist one, started declaring liberation wars against their systems, and that's roughly when I stopped playing, because while destroying ~2 million worth of FE fleet twice was fun, the thought of doing it every 10 years repeatedly didn't seem like too much fun.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Truga posted:

My first stellaris playthrough was ironically my best one. It was shortly before Unity released, I played a race of hyper xenophilic, pacifist mushrooms on a large galaxy. Me and my roughly equally large federation buddy spanned half the galaxy, with a bunch of tiny states scattered around us from liberation wars, which we were in basically 100% of the time. Also, I had migration agreements with many empires for most of the early/mid game, which resulted in my mushrooms constantly revolting against their oppressive non-xenophilic, pacifist empires, making micro 1 system states, and getting instantly either protectorated/vassilized by me/my buddy, or just invited into the federation.

By mid game, we'd assimilated the fanatic purifiers between us, and some years later the xenophobe FE to the north of us (we were on the north side of the galaxy). Then the scourge appeared right on top of me, which we also made short work of. The far south xenophile FE then awakened to protect the galaxy from said scourge and started conquering the shitlords around them. Eventually we decided their version of xenophilia isn't as good as the mushroom pacifist one, started declaring liberation wars against their systems, and that's roughly when I stopped playing, because while destroying ~2 million worth of FE fleet twice was fun, the thought of doing it every 10 years repeatedly didn't seem like too much fun.

That's usually how most games go, you hit a point where you know you could conquer the galaxy/meet your end goals/defeat the big bad boogie man, then you just kind of get bored and wander off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

More interesting map generation with clusters accessible off the main galactic network would be interesting.

Magellanic clouds hell yeah. What if you started in one?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Don't fling your 3k fleets into the enemy 10k fleet then, use whichever one their fleet is chasing as bait, set up a trap with a defense station/starport for extra firepower if you need it, converge all fleets on the enemy, etc.

I know the game is fairly two dimensional in it's representation of the Galaxy and the implementation of FTL, but that doesn't mean you have to restrict your strategic thinking to only two dimensions.

But get this. What if the 10k fleet comes to you and your fleet is split 'protecting your assets'? :captainpop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strictly going by the screenshots you might have to split your fleets because they appear to be getting caps.

Which could make multiple FTL types work better than they currently do because yes the doomstack vs voluntarily worse doomstack metagame is bad. Just having multiple FTL types works fine for, say, sword of the stars, though, which I think is partly an issue of fleet caps.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

But get this. What if the 10k fleet comes to you and your fleet is split 'protecting your assets'? :captainpop:

If you don’t see that 10k coming, either they’ve got jump drives, or you goofed.

If that 10k comes while your fleets are split, then you converge on that enemy fleet.

You should be able to see that fleet coming and set up a trap or get your other fleets there in time.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

gowb posted:

Against fallen/awakened empires and the Contingency, they seem to. I just finished a game where my 550k battleship fleet equipped with tachyon lance, 2 large plasmas, and 2 kinetic artillery could kill a 1M contingency fleet while only losing 100k.

Edit: I had a a large amount of repeatable techs, though, as well as the galactic defender trait thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you don’t see that 10k coming, either they’ve got jump drives, or you goofed.

If that 10k comes while your fleets are split, then you converge on that enemy fleet.

You should be able to see that fleet coming and set up a trap or get your other fleets there in time.
Or you just don't split your fleet and use it as a cudgel against the other doomstacks and save yourself a ton of useless effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Strictly going by the screenshots you might have to split your fleets because they appear to be getting caps.

Which could make multiple FTL types work better than they currently do because yes the doomstack vs voluntarily worse doomstack metagame is bad. Just having multiple FTL types works fine for, say, sword of the stars, though, which I think is partly an issue of fleet caps.
Multiple FTL types works in SotS for lots of interlocking reasons. One of them is fleet caps (so excited) but the package deal is a big one.

Hivers have slowboat ftl that's replaced by jumpgates when they get a toehold. This means by the time a fleet gets to an enemy planet it's going to be a few upgrade cycles behind. To compensate, hivers are heavy on missiles and kinetic weapons, which have a large amount of passive upgrades available, meaning you can somewhat tech up en route. Since the initial force cares most about surviving the initial gate drop to jump in the main, fleet they also have the tankiest ships. The missiles also come in here, since their opponents need to balance enough PD to avoid being salvoed to death at long range and having enough weapons to destroy the gate in time when you get there. The gate deploys at the edge of unfriendly systems, protecting it from planetary defences and increasing survivability, and so hivers have the fastest straight-line in-combat movement and the longest range weapons to get shooting at the planet faster (missiles again).

The jump gate network makes it really easy to deploy hiver defensive fleets quickly, but many of the strengths that mitigate the downside of their offense also mitigate the upsides of their defence: PD hard counters missiles, the large mass of their armour gives them poor maneuverability, and their speed is not useful (the gate moves adjacent to friendly planets). They also have some of the worst research speeds, meaning the ships they're defending with Will progressively get worse than recently built enemy ships.

At about the point in the game where these disadvantages outweigh the benefits of gates the hivers finally get their top tier gate tech: slingshotting fleets adjacent to enemy systems. They're underteched, but can deploy their most recent ship designs almost instantly. They're hard-counterable, but appear too fast to counter. Their gates are fragile, but they don't need end to end deployment any more. It switches from their faction attributes complementing their FTL type to their FTL type complementing their faction attributes.

That's a big component of how SotS handles multiple FTL types, and it's great, but it's the complete antithesis of the Stellaris build your own empire system, which is also great. So it's kind of apples and oranges except the oranges are also antimatter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 1, 2017

• Locked thread