Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
For anyone wanting to play Wolf3D, try the Coffee Break mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/coffee-break-episode-1-castle-hasselhoff

Real fun and has new guns.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The game has a small enough community that there's no real 100% consensus on all secrets, but what I've figured out so far is:

1. Ironically, no secrets are triggered with the typical "Wolfenstein Wall-Hump" technique. All secrets are triggered by either shooting something or flinging an explosive barrel at it, not with the use key.
2. There are small control panels that randomly spawn in Zone 1, 3, and 4--generally up towards the ceiling in larger rooms--that can be shot, causing a secret room to open up nearby. This room will either have health or shield charges, nothing super special. I have never seen a Zone 1 Level 1 that didn't have at least 1 or 2 of these, but subsequent levels don't seem guaranteed to have any. In Zone 2, the control panel is replaced with a football-sized green volcano-looking thing that dribbles blue goo when shot, but otherwise serves the same function.
3. Occasionally you can come across a small, harmless orange bug (very similar to the explosive bugs that you can pick up and throw in Zone 2--only smaller) that will promptly scurry towards a wall; whichever wall it crawls into is guaranteed to be a secret wall that can be destroyed by throwing an explosive barrel at it, revealing a special weapon room.
4. There are "magic" walls that can be walked through (the screenshot of the two dogs I posted earlier is one such secret), but these walls must be shot before you can pass through them. The walls make a very distinct, unique noise when shot for the first time, and are often in really random areas that make them unlikely to be found (i.e. off the ground, where you would have to jump into the wall to access).
5. If you can manage to glitch through the geometry of a level and fall "under" the map, you will spawn in a glitched version of the shop and can steal everything for sale.
6. You can access the Wolfenstein arcade cabinet by gibbing the corpse that is always at the start of each run--it'll drop a token that causes the Wolfenstein cabinet to spawn in a random place on Zone 1 Level 2.

Good tips.

I go for the Wolf3D clone every run now since it gives the extras and it's just a quick detour. Found a few secret bonus item room, but no special weapon room yet. I'm guessing I'm still missing the secrets in zone 1, but don't mind it that much, honestly.

The smiley face guys I see more often now, so I guess they do count towards the secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I’ve always wanted to play through Wolf3D but the fake 3D is off just enough to trigger my motion sickness. Anything that’s attached to the floor or ceiling doesn’t move right when I turn.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Too Shy Guy posted:

I’ve always wanted to play through Wolf3D but the fake 3D is off just enough to trigger my motion sickness. Anything that’s attached to the floor or ceiling doesn’t move right when I turn.

I've always felt that the viewpoint in Wolf3D moves as though it were attached to a cylinder. Like you're strapped to a pole, with the axis of your turn being just behind you.

It's even worse in the Catacomb games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dunno if I can empathize, but the FOV might be lower than usual for those games, which probably is what you're feeling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Emrikol posted:

I've always felt that the viewpoint in Wolf3D moves as though it were attached to a cylinder. Like you're strapped to a pole, with the axis of your turn being just behind you.

It's even worse in the Catacomb games.

This is how Halo and Borderlands felt to me at first.

Edit: most of you might've noticed this before, because a lot of you know a bunch of poo poo about 3d engines and whatnot, but next time you're playing Goldeneye, tilt your head 90 degrees to either side, and then make your character turn. The warping on the sides of your FoV is WAY more noticeable. Careful, though, because after that, you might not be able to unsee it when playing normally.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 29, 2017

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Actually, booting it up again to check, the opposite of what I said is true. The camera moves like you're rotating around the back of a cylinder. If you walk up to a corner and turn, the camera will rotate such that you appear to have moved past it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Too Shy Guy posted:

Use ECWolf with your monitor resolution. It can go surprisingly high.

Also the game is usually around 70FPS, so in some people it can cause motion sickness especially if you use mouse movement. I got used it to it, but it's a per-person thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Trying out Brutal Doom and runs fine, I'm just having issues with missing textures.

Any idea what's up?

Fixed the problem, just ignored the install instructions lmao

edit: wow, some of the textures and effects fixed but most still going wonky but now the white and grey checkerboard is white and blue checkerboard :psyduck:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 30, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

MariusLecter posted:

Trying out Brutal Doom and runs fine, I'm just having issues with missing textures.

Any idea what's up?

Fixed the problem, just ignored the install instructions lmao

edit: wow, some of the textures and effects fixed but most still going wonky but now the white and grey checkerboard is white and blue checkerboard :psyduck:

What versions of GZDoom and Brutal Doom?

You should preferably go for 3.2.0 and v20 respectively. Or you can try Brutality.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Thinking of playing return to castle wolfenstein again, are there any improved playability or graphics mods out there that are worth using?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

Thinking of playing return to castle wolfenstein again, are there any improved playability or graphics mods out there that are worth using?
Grab the Unofficial Patch to fix some crashes and add proper widescreen support.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Levitate posted:

There are some HD type mods on moddb, but I can't vouch for them since I've never played 'em.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Levitate posted:

As Kins said, grab the unofficial 1.42d patch. There's a nice gameplay mod (that adds weapon models from Enemy Territory) and tweaks some stuff called Venom:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rtcw-venom-mod

Install patch 1.42d and then Venom mod. Just an advice, rename the file inside patch 1.42d from file4.pak to file5.pak or you'll overwrite important files on RTCW (advice from a GOG thread).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What versions of GZDoom and Brutal Doom?

You should preferably go for 3.2.0 and v20 respectively. Or you can try Brutality.

Ah, was using gzdoom 3.3 and Brutal Doom v20. Brutality is working just fine, better weapons and is a bit more intense :pcgaming:"Game Play":pcgaming:. At least there isn't gonna be poor level design and jump puzzles so counter intuitive that you get a text prompt to tell what to do. :v:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Kins posted:

Grab the Unofficial Patch to fix some crashes and add proper widescreen support.

Yoink! Thank you for that. I was thinking about trying to beat it finally.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ah, drat, so Dusk is delayed huh? They're putting in multiplayer? That was going to be my go-to this Halloween. They've rescheduled it to be sometime still within this year, so it could be as late as Christmas.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Flubby posted:

Ah, drat, so Dusk is delayed huh? They're putting in multiplayer? That was going to be my go-to this Halloween. They've rescheduled it to be sometime still within this year, so it could be as late as Christmas.

The date was always a placeholder, but it's still slightly disappointing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Death Wish 1.4 for Blood and Haunted Nukem Episode 2 are both out now!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is excellent! And while you're duking, there's a sequel to that great map Shaky Grounds out too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Are there any patches I should use for Halo Combat Evolved? I remember last time I played it was kinda janky at 60fps since all the animations were at 30fps, not even counting the cutscenes.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

In the same vein,

I just got Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament in the halloween sale. Any recommended stuff?

Played them both a lot like 10 years ago or whatever

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cheers for the heads up! Death Wish appears to work fine on BloodGDX as well which is great. Sadly that hasn't seen an update in a month, hope the guy's still working on it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ularg posted:

Are there any patches I should use for Halo Combat Evolved? I remember last time I played it was kinda janky at 60fps since all the animations were at 30fps, not even counting the cutscenes.
Harvested from the decomposing corpse of NeoGAF:

quote:

1. Download Halo Custom Edition (only the English Language Version, other versions exhibit texture corruption), and then patch it to the latest 1.0.10. Make sure you have a valid halo CD key, Halo CD keys can be used an infinite amount of times, no secure rom here.
2. Download Chimera, latest build is 44. And place the "chimera.dll" in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\controls" folder.
3. Get a modern UI so as to access the campaign menu. I recommend Universal UI 1.1. Place the case sensitive (make sure the file is lowercase type) "ui.map" file in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\maps" directory. It will replace the original UI.
4. Get the proper campaign maps. This is a very important step, there are a number of releases of the Campaign maps ported to Halo Custom Edition, yet they have a number of art errors due to the porting (lacking bipdeal shadows) and maintain the art problems of the original PC release. A modder called Moses recently has gone through the campaign and added a lot of missing mulitimaps (detail textures), shaders flags, and visuals so as to approach the xbox original. It is not perfect, but at least the assault rifle now looks like it should!
5. Download an EAX emulator for windows. Here is a link to one I am hosting: Creative Alchemy Universal, Link. This emulator works with Realtek onboard audio. Install the linked file post-download. Restart PC. Open up "Creative Alchemy Universal", add the Haloce.exe if it is not already been scanned to the list of EAX emulation games. Start up Halo CE, go into the options, make sure audio is set to the high and higest settings possible, turn Hardware Accelearation to EAX and then click "envionmental sounds" to ON (which is greyed until you change hardware acceleration to EAX). Now you will have proper sound emulation with no abrupt cutoffs in audio, good environmental sounds, and more sound channels.
6. Load up the game, set up your visual quality settings in the settings menu. I recommend using VSR or DSR to supersample since Halo does not feature MSAA, SSAA suport and an uncapped Vsync refresh. Then I recommend using adaptive Vsync as in your video card control panel, if not that, forced vsync through other means.
7. Configure Chimera through the ingame console (^° on german keyboards, ~ elsewhere) to get the best Halo Experience. You will want to use these commands to make the game TWIMTBP.
code:
chimera_interpolate X // where X is a number 0-9 to control quality, types of objects effected and the distance of effect. 9 affects nearly everything at great distances, it carries a higher yet negligible performance cost for modern CPUs.
chimera_af X // where X is 0 or 1. Halo PC shipped originally without support for normal hardware texture filtering or SSAA or MSAA support. Even the Control Panel of your GPU driver will be ineffective. This fixes that and forces 16x AF for all surfaces as long as your control panel is set to 16x for the game or globally.
chimera_vertical_fov XX // where XX is a double digit number to your visual desire. Since Halo is now being played, presumable, in wide screen on your system the default FOV will render the view model incorrectly and be rather cramped. You can adjust this to your liking of course, but I find that an fov calue of 65 replicates the original first person view model placement and aspect ratio while also offering enough peripheral vision so I do not feel sick.
chimera_uncap_cinematic X // where X is 1 or 0. This will add animation interpolation to cutscenes and eliminate their hardlocked 30fps cap.
chimera_widescreen_scope_mask X // where X is 1 or 0, this will fix the aspect ratio of the scope when zooming in on all scoped weapons
chimera_block_vehicle_camera_leveling X // X is 1 or 0, precents automatic camera leveling in vehicles. Aids is mouse control.
chimera_block_lod X // where X is 1 or 0. This turns off all geometry LODs, which honestly, are not necessary with modern GPUs or even CPUs. I did not notice aditional aliasing at all when downsampled from 3840X2160.
8. (Optional) Download Open Sauce. Halo Open Suace provides extra modding and shading support to the Halo CE engine, but importantly for players, it adds some interesting post-processing: a velocity based camera motion blur, native FXAA support, and a tasteful bloom. The bloom is actually pretty good and fits the Halo bright artstyle (without going Oblivion-like). Motion blur has a low sample count, but generally looks great at high framerates. After installing it it will automatically have bloom enabled in its config (located at: "C:\Users\your_username\Documents\my games\Halo CE\OpenSauce"). Motion Blur has to be manually turned on by opening up the "OS_Settings.User.xml" file and editing the section that looks like this.

Here you will change false, to "true" (without quotations).
9. Click on the Campaign in the Menu using the new UI and start enjoying Halo with near-Xbox art, better than console performance and animations, and healthy customisation options for how you play the game! :D

I think EAX should probably be labelled optional as well, but you'll definitely want those 60fps animations because the stock ones really are an eyesore.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oooh this is perfect, thank you!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

quote:

chimera_block_vehicle_camera_leveling X // X is 1 or 0, precents automatic camera leveling in vehicles. Aids is mouse control.
:confused:

Okay, so I'm guessing "precents" is "prevents", but "Aids is mouse control" I'm still not 100% on. "Aids in mouse control"?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Mouse acceleration?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

:confused:

Okay, so I'm guessing "precents" is "prevents", but "Aids is mouse control" I'm still not 100% on. "Aids in mouse control"?
My interpretation is that this is referring to something similar to 'lookspring" which is a feature you'd find in some old shooters where your view would automatically return to the center whenever you moved. So the translation would be "prevents automatic camera leveling in vehicles. Aids in mouse control."

Lork fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 31, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, that's it. Because the mouse doesn't center itself like a thumbstick.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

heard u like girls posted:

In the same vein,

I just got Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament in the halloween sale. Any recommended stuff?

Played them both a lot like 10 years ago or whatever

If we're talking about the original UT'99, I'm assuming it's the version that comes with all of the "Community Bonus Packs" and stuff like ChaosUT. In addition to that, a few things I'd recommend getting:

Unreal4Ever: One of the larger and more popular mods in its day, this mod adds new player models, classes, a ton of diverse weapons, maps, and game modes--including a really fun "Invasion" mod where everybody has to stop an invasion by destroying gates that have randomly appeared on the map, which are spawning an endless stream of enemies--to the game. I don't have UT'99 installed without it.

Nali Weapons 3 Final: If I remember correctly, this is just a weapon pack--but it's a pack of some of the best-looking, multi-function weapons you'll find in a UT'99 mod. Like, there's a freeze gun that actually creates little ice platforms when used on water. Lots of stuff to choose from here when you get bored with the vanilla weapons.

Tally Ho!: A gametype wherein a regular map is populated with a zoo of alien creatures, and players/bots are tasked with killing them for points. Occasionally, super-powerful enemies/bosses spawn for bonus points, and there's some system of not killing fellow players (which puts a bounty on your head, leading to players getting points for hunting you down). This game mode is pure, overstimulating chaos, and it feels like ten million things are going on simultaneously.

WORM: Not a mod, per se, as a utility that lets you pull weapons and items from different mods and combine them into a single match. Really nice when you want to take guns from a few different mods and combine them with the vanilla weapons to mix things up.

Freeze Tag. Unfortunately, I'm having a hell of a time finding a download link for it, but it's a game mode where knocking somebody down to 0 health freezes them, and their teammates have to stand next to them for a few seconds to "thaw" them out. The victor is the team that freezes everybody else first. Surprisingly, the bots play really well with this, which is why it remains a great game mode to this day. Try finding this one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is BloodGDX still more difficult than normal, thanks to some hit scan translations?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If we're talking about the original UT'99, I'm assuming it's the version that comes with all of the "Community Bonus Packs" and stuff like ChaosUT. In addition to that, a few things I'd recommend getting:

Unreal4Ever: One of the larger and more popular mods in its day, this mod adds new player models, classes, a ton of diverse weapons, maps, and game modes--including a really fun "Invasion" mod where everybody has to stop an invasion by destroying gates that have randomly appeared on the map, which are spawning an endless stream of enemies--to the game. I don't have UT'99 installed without it.

Nali Weapons 3 Final: If I remember correctly, this is just a weapon pack--but it's a pack of some of the best-looking, multi-function weapons you'll find in a UT'99 mod. Like, there's a freeze gun that actually creates little ice platforms when used on water. Lots of stuff to choose from here when you get bored with the vanilla weapons.

Tally Ho!: A gametype wherein a regular map is populated with a zoo of alien creatures, and players/bots are tasked with killing them for points. Occasionally, super-powerful enemies/bosses spawn for bonus points, and there's some system of not killing fellow players (which puts a bounty on your head, leading to players getting points for hunting you down). This game mode is pure, overstimulating chaos, and it feels like ten million things are going on simultaneously.

WORM: Not a mod, per se, as a utility that lets you pull weapons and items from different mods and combine them into a single match. Really nice when you want to take guns from a few different mods and combine them with the vanilla weapons to mix things up.

Freeze Tag. Unfortunately, I'm having a hell of a time finding a download link for it, but it's a game mode where knocking somebody down to 0 health freezes them, and their teammates have to stand next to them for a few seconds to "thaw" them out. The victor is the team that freezes everybody else first. Surprisingly, the bots play really well with this, which is why it remains a great game mode to this day. Try finding this one.

Amazing, thank you :madmax:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unreal4Ever: One of the larger and more popular mods in its day, this mod adds new player models, classes, a ton of diverse weapons, maps, and game modes
He ain't kidding about the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwg5j33m6w

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I wish I knew about this back in the day. 13 year old me would have loved this poo poo :allears:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

:popeye:

That Gex music is killing me lmao

but drat those are some impressive effects!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

heard u like girls posted:

That Gex music is killing me lmao
I have my fun.

Somebody made a Halloween map pack for Reelism, if that's a thing you're down for. It has three maps, two of which might seem a bit familiar...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Y'know, I played the Halloweeism maps, but I don't think I saw the "Cradle to Grave" room the Blood one somehow, just the graveyard/hedge maze.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Y'know, I played the Halloweeism maps, but I don't think I saw the "Cradle to Grave" room the Blood one somehow, just the graveyard/hedge maze.
The building in the center of the map is the entire funeral home from Blood E1L1. Pretty cool.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Geroshe kuuo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I forgot to check last night is DUSK fully out now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I forgot to check last night is DUSK fully out now?

Nope