Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Wow, human brains have become broken during my lifetime.

SwissCM posted:

I used to play inverted with a mouse until a few years when some switch flipped in my brain and suddenly inverted felt hosed.

Probably when you started using a Mac with "natural" scrolling. Another strange misunderstanding of viewports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mr.Kattykat posted:

I forget exactly which game it is but there's a tutorial prompt that says 'look up' and it sets whether the controls are inverted depending on which way you tilt the stick first time; kinda neat. If you use mouse controls inverted though then there's no hope for you.

Psychonauts did this and it is such an easy trick that it's baffling that it's not more common.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Mouse = standard
Thumbstick = inverted
Trackpad = normal, inverted for scrolling

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Mr.Kattykat posted:

I forget exactly which game it is but there's a tutorial prompt that says 'look up' and it sets whether the controls are inverted depending on which way you tilt the stick first time; kinda neat. If you use mouse controls inverted though then there's no hope for you.

I remember titan fall was this way for some reason even though it's just first person throughout even in the suits. Also halo is probably one everybody has done

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I remember playing Halo with my buddies in high school and they'd always try to kill me while I was fiddling through the settings to switch it to inverted.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Inverted... NOW I've heard everything... Smdh

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can't imagine playing an fps and pulling the mouse down to look up. What's it like being a weirdo, anyway?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I don't know why, but I switched multiple times from inverted to standard throughout my childhood. I really had no preference. It was such a pain in the rear end to switch controls when playing halo with friends and trading controllers that I adapted to both.

I only play standard now only because couch co-op is pretty much dead :(

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I recently RMA's a Zotac 1080 AMP for coil whine and they gave me a 1080 Ti Founder's Edition card in return. I'm stoked, but my system will no longer boot with the 1080 Ti installed. My power supply is a Corsair TX650W which I thought was plenty powerful for this card and using the pcpartpicker PSU calculation I am 200W shy of the 650W capacity. I'm using the two 6+2 PCI Express cables (connecting one with 8 pins, the other with 6). The GEFORCE GTX logo lights up, but it lights up just from the PCIe slot power even if the PSU cables aren't connected.

I don't have a second desktop at home to try swapping components, unfortunately. Is there any way to figure out if the GPU is bad or if my PSU is insufficient without buying another PSU and/or GPU to swap in?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even if the power supply can't handle the GPU at full load, it should still boot normally. Check your motherboard for supplemental power connections for the PCI-E slot, some will have them some won't. Reseat the card, if you have multiple 16x slots even if it isn't 16/8x electrical try that as well. Did you check to see if video output redirected to the Mobo?

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Holy poo poo I feel dumb, it was the supplemental connector. I guess I decided to unplug it for no reason when I took the old card out.

Thanks, that saved me a lot of wasted time!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can't imagine playing an fps and pulling the mouse down to look up. What's it like being a weirdo, anyway?

This was me as a kid, playing the early id FPSes and Unreal Tournament and whatnot. I got a lot of crap for it, but I also played a lot of Wing Commander and Tie Fighter and etc. and just couldn't switch from inverted.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rastor posted:

This was me as a kid, playing the early id FPSes and Unreal Tournament and whatnot. I got a lot of crap for it, but I also played a lot of Wing Commander and Tie Fighter and etc. and just couldn't switch from inverted.

If it worked you. Those games didn't have weapon recoil so you weren't expected to slowly move the mouse to maintain fire.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'm gonna blow all y'all minds here: my girlfriend is playing Super Mario Odyssey right now, and she inverted the camera-stick HORIZONTALLY as well. I have no idea what the gently caress. Sever, i guess.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Phosphine posted:

I'm gonna blow all y'all minds here: my girlfriend is playing Super Mario Odyssey right now, and she inverted the camera-stick HORIZONTALLY as well. I have no idea what the gently caress. Sever, i guess.

Yeah, clearly there is no hope for her.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lmao like any of us have girlfriends?!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Fake news. Girls don't play video games.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
also lol stairs protection?! :circlefap:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Those games didn't have weapon recoil so you weren't expected to slowly move the mouse to maintain fire.

uh, what?

Also, inverted used to be standard pretty much everywhere, but then things changed for some hosed up reason. if you wanna look up, you tilt your head back, no?? If you wanna look down, tilt forward. Same with mouse aiming in shooters.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
everybody on page 1351 will be blessed with their ideal mate

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

everybody on page 1351 will be blessed with their ideal mate
never

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr.Kattykat posted:

Didn't Portal 2 do that?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Its actually a mistranslation. The correct one is "mate they deserve".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Its actually a mistranslation. The correct one is "mate they deserve".
also never

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Yes, I said that

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

truth

for added weirdness, first person games I always play inverted, but third person is normal

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
My mind doesn't seem to work like that, and it's probably related to me being incapable of using a controller. Like I guess that concept works but boy howdy does it not process in my mind.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I only play like that with an actual joystick now.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Didn't Portal 2 do that?

Halo 2

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My first exposure to a joystick was Starfox 64, so...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I bet you inverted freaks also type with a dvorak keyboard :grin:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wirth1000 posted:

I bet you inverted freaks also type with a dvorak keyboard :grin:

Actually yes

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For me its like I'm flying a plane, pull back on the stick and go up, etc. Inverse for me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

HalloKitty posted:

Actually yes

Oh.

Well, alright then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If I had a game where you only aimed up and down I'd be fine with that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Truga posted:

uh, what?

The guns in Quake 1, the guns in Quake 2, like, I don't remember any kind of recoil. If you just left your mouse alone and held down a keyboard button bound to fire, they'd just fire endlessly into the same spot. Shot after shot after shot would hit the same place on the wall precisely.

Somewhere along the push for realism they began adding recoil so the gun would trend upward or be more erratic (increased spread) under sustained fire. I hated most "realistic" shooters and much preferred arcade arena stuff so I never had to deal with this until Halo. COD made the increased spread model super popular, with a larger spread if you don't use ADS.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 2, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Some guns in Q2 have recoil, notably the machine gun.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

kujeger posted:

Some guns in Q2 have recoil, notably the machine gun.

Urgh. That gun was pain to use. Luckily you got the supershotgun fairly soon after.

gently caress it just play the original Doom where you didnt even need a y axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

The guns in Quake 1, the guns in Quake 2, like, I don't remember any kind of recoil. If you just left your mouse alone and held down a keyboard button bound to fire, they'd just fire endlessly into the same spot. Shot after shot after shot would hit the same place on the wall precisely.

Somewhere along the push for realism they began adding recoil so the gun would trend upward or be more erratic (increased spread) under sustained fire. I hated most "realistic" shooters and much preferred arcade arena stuff so I never had to deal with this until Halo. COD made the increased spread model super popular, with a larger spread if you don't use ADS.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with inverted mouse tho? Not looking down the sights having lovely accuracy is bad though. I don't really play games that do that anymore. Or if I do, I just choose the rocket launcher.