Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I have not seen too much of Defranco, but to me, he seems like he secretly harbors a lot of right-wing opinions and he's too much of a wuss to own up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't even know if it's right wing or he's just a generic ignorant white guy. like when boogie et al semi defended jontron because they just want everyone to be friends and poo poo.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't even know if it's right wing or he's just a generic ignorant white guy. like when boogie et al semi defended jontron because they just want everyone to be friends and poo poo.

Well, I find it hard to respect/listen anyone that cant talk for more than 10 seconds without a jumpcut so I will probably never find out if he's really dishonest or naive.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It seems pretty wild to label Singal a TERF when he's going to all that work and writes lines like "In the long run, we’ll be better at this stuff — we’ll be better at understanding how to best help gender-dysphoric kids grow up to be confident, happy adults, whether they end up trans or cis, gay or straight or bi." I don't see it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

DeFranco is a self-described liberal libertarian, which means he's constantly flirting with right-wing opinions but never openly commits to them. He tends to get really excited when he finds (what he thinks to be) examples of "reverse racism," tries to make sure both sides* are portrayed "fairly" even when one of those sides is ridiculous or harmful, and above all he's very, very good at presenting himself as being a reasonable, thoughtful, empathetic person in his youtube videos no matter how much that isn't the case in fact.

* If one of those sides is something like feminism or BLM, then it may or may not actually get portrayed. See his coverage of the Sargon/Sarkeesian thing from VidCon, for example.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Have you guys heard of Jesse Lee Peterson? Holy poo poo, so much of this is cringe worthy, yet at the same time I can't help at laugh at the way he pronounces "lesbian".
I don't know who Stevie Boebi is but I'm amazed she went on this guy's show assuming she checked up on him first. Watching it is almost like watching a comedy sketch where the guest is the straight man (irony not intended) and Jesse Lee is a comedian playing a character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVchsI9puY

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The original uncle ruckus. I used to listen to him on the net before podcasts were a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4XhR0lYlE

edit: I think he was one of those radio hosts that followed rush, depending on your area. That should tell you everything you need to know.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 1, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Ok, so to entertain my wishful thinking again. Is there any way we can use debate to our advantage?

Yes, by debating moderates and people who want to indirectly empower Nazis on why it's actually ok to silence the spread of the message of Nazis. People who want to pretend that words can't cause harm or people who want to pretend that "jokes are just jokes" when they see some YouTuber dressing up as an SS officer is some hilarious double-ironic joke that people just don't get. Those are the kind of people that you can (hopefully) reason with and teach that no, those things aren't ok.

If you mean debating with Nazis, no, that is always a bad idea. Feel free to take down their arguments, mock them and show how absurd they are. But don't bother trying to start a dialog.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ClancyEverafter posted:

It seems pretty wild to label Singal a TERF when he's going to all that work and writes lines like "In the long run, we’ll be better at this stuff — we’ll be better at understanding how to best help gender-dysphoric kids grow up to be confident, happy adults, whether they end up trans or cis, gay or straight or bi." I don't see it.

this is how he deflects criticism of the fact that he thinks using conversion therapy to 'cure' trans kids is a great idea

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

temple posted:

The original uncle ruckus. I used to listen to him on the net before podcasts were a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4XhR0lYlE

edit: I think he was one of those radio hosts that followed rush, depending on your area. That should tell you everything you need to know.

There's a great moment in the Blaire White episode where he talks about being scared of black lesbians beating him up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ungulateman posted:

this is how he deflects criticism of the fact that he thinks using conversion therapy to 'cure' trans kids is a great idea

I would generally be suspicious of people who include "just stop being trans" as an option in a list of desirable outcomes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I feel it necessary to point out that the "convince the onlookers" approach can be done more directly, and is in fact exactly what pressuring platforms to remove nazis is an example of. You are ignoring the actual nazis and appealing to bystanders to take action against them.
This is after all what Contra's videos primarily are. Trying to convince people who might otherwise be convinced by nazi arguments rather than people spouting those arguments. You guys do know that right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ClancyEverafter posted:

He says this to disarm critics because he immediately follows it up with poo poo like "Actually gender conversion therapy is good and cool for trans people and transgender people are all sick in the head and it's better for them to just stop."

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/925465219425587200

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I truly don’t understand what the criticism of Contra is even about here. A journalist did a feature on her and the journalist has some dumb ideas about trans people. So now by the transitive property Contra is now responsible for everything the journalist has ever written?

I live in the United States. Does this mean I deserve to die because of the Vietnam War?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

business hammocks posted:

I truly don’t understand what the criticism of Contra is even about here. A journalist did a feature on her and the journalist has some dumb ideas about trans people. So now by the transitive property Contra is now responsible for everything the journalist has ever written?

I live in the United States. Does this mean I deserve to die because of the Vietnam War?

I think what people were worried about was not so much he going milkshake duck but her going Laci Green. Whether she wants to be or not, she is a role model and when she starts engaging with TERFs people get nervous.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

The fear is that the journalist will use the Contra article or similar things to point to & say "look, I'm not a transphobe, I get on with popular trans person X", or something like that.

Personally I trust Contra in this, but some of her audience who have been similarly let down in the past by other people are concerned because it looks similar. It'll all blow over soon enough, though, so long as nothing else happens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d hope people would be smart enough to see through something like that. Even Laci Green is an obvious transparent grift with literally dating a younger Sargon, and I give Contra way more credit than a woman of average intelligence and no formal education.

Even if Contra started dating Golden One, I’d wait a while to see where it was going.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's hard to find the arguments people have with Contra because for some reason she hasn't addressed any of the arguments.

Part of the problem is that Contra has framed this as her "engaging with" or "debating with the problematic world," when in fact it seems all that's happened is her getting a signal boost.

To Contra, Jesse has been very respectful of her, of her identity, etc. But other trans women have told her their experiences with dealing with him and being interviewed for pieces and she's chosen, essentially, to disbelieve them because Jesse was nice to her and wrote a glowing article about her.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
contra is incredibly smart so i trust her to make the right choices. it seems kind of messed up to me that there are people who think she has to represent like all trans people or whatever, that's just too much pressure to put on one person to be some kind of perfect super-being. i know i'd have an immediate meltdown if there was so much pressure from so many people put onto me.

she's doing good work and being herself so that's anyone can hope for really.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

It's hard to find the arguments people have with Contra because for some reason she hasn't addressed any of the arguments.

Part of the problem is that Contra has framed this as her "engaging with" or "debating with the problematic world," when in fact it seems all that's happened is her getting a signal boost.

To Contra, Jesse has been very respectful of her, of her identity, etc. But other trans women have told her their experiences with dealing with him and being interviewed for pieces and she's chosen, essentially, to disbelieve them because Jesse was nice to her and wrote a glowing article about her.

I don’t want to ask you specifically to do my homework for me, but I’d like to see these other profiles or interviews. Contra has earned a lot of good will from me by being rigorous and thoughtful. I can be convinced otherwise, but I haven’t yet seen evidence of her making a mistake in reasoning like that.

Except maybe being on friendly terms with shoe on head.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Reposting from another thread.

I think a lot of this comes from the fact that a lot of Trans and NB people have experience dealing with poo poo heads who demand a debate about if they are really trans. Mostly in the guise of "Just Asking Questions". This tends to make a lot of Trans and NB people put up a permanent shield. And we do need to get better at explaining to cis people what being trans means in general. That does mean talking to people may not be the friendliest to trans people. Otherwise groups like the Daily Mail are the ones who tell our stories and they are going after anyone who says anything remotely positive about Trans People.

And the "Problematic" Stuff needs to go away. Because it's basically become another form of respectability politics. And gently caress THAT poo poo. Im seeing way to many people chased out of queer and left spaces simply because they still think Hillary Clinton would have been a good president. And it's a lot of trans people being chased out by Cis people.

I trust that Contra knows what shes doing when she agrees to an interview with someone like that. Or agrees to a debate with the likes of Sargon and Blair White. I think shes wasting her time with the likes of them but I trust that shes not going to suddenly become a truscum. If you are cis and you see a trans person talking to a conservative or someone who hates Trans people, Trust Us. We Know what we are doing.

And she's not going to turn into Laci Green. Stop that. If/when the sex tape between her and the Golden One get's released then I'l entertain that idea but...god dammit. Please trust Trans people on this stuff.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 1, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Midig posted:

Ok, so to entertain my wishful thinking again. Is there any way we can use debate to our advantage? Is it possible to get them with their pants down and hold their balls to the fire? David Pakman seemed to do a good job of this in his interview with Richard Spencer. If you can make it easy for those seeing it to make the right choice, I hope it might do good. If we ask:

-Do you think Hitler is a bad person?

-Should whites be separates from non-whites?

And they try to squeel their way out of it, don't we win automatically?

You can't actually "win" an argument against one of these guys. Not by any rule set that requires them to "lose." They don't adhere to the rules. There is something you can do, though.

"I know you're smart. So I know you can understand where I'm coming from. Hear me out on this."

It's the same tactic that worked on you, Midig.

Most of these guys have pride in their intelligence. Use that to your advantage. Break stuff down to basics and make them build it back up, make them see where they're going wrong. Present the way forward as a puzzle for them to solve rather than a set of rules for them to adhere to- you know, be honest with 'em. And if they see reason- if you get even a glimmer of it out of them- then you keep working on them. They'll come around. It's a hard loving road sometimes and they will keep making mistakes but "be good to people" is pretty infectious and if they're not driven off, they'll learn and adapt and come up with a solution, same as the rest of us.

If there's nothing there after you try to get them to see, then they're a lost cause. Either too stupid or too proud to save.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 1, 2017

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I don’t want to ask you specifically to do my homework for me, but I’d like to see these other profiles or interviews. Contra has earned a lot of good will from me by being rigorous and thoughtful. I can be convinced otherwise, but I haven’t yet seen evidence of her making a mistake in reasoning like that.

I meant that there were accounts out there of other trans women talking about interacting with him. He interviewed some people for the Zucker piece but none of it ended up being used. Here's Julia Serano and Parker Molloy talking about it.

As far as I can tell, this is kind of a continued topic from him. Lots of posts about it.

This isn't to say I think Jesse irredeemable or should be shunned, that you shouldn't debate him, that you can't have a professional relationship, or anything like that. But she's saying: I've talked to this guy and I found some of his statements troubling, but he's not a transphobe or a TERF. Which - she can feel how she wants on that, but of course people are going to be upset. People have been dealing with him on this subject for nearly 2 years now.

I think she's handled the whole thing pretty poorly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BigRed0427 posted:

If/when the sex tape between her and the Golden One get's released then I'l entertain that idea

Don't tease me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

By god I think she can turn Golden One. That is what I would expect from their sex tape.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
click to hear a republican's brain explode in real time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3gsp3J3HKc&t=3308s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL that's the guy that tweets at trump thinking he can get a pardon for his fraud charges.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lovechop posted:

click to hear a republican's brain explode in real time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3gsp3J3HKc&t=3308s

That jerkoff just said poor people will buy $1,000 iPhone because almost all of them have microwaves. :lol:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
What the gently caress are you trying to say with your eyes, Sargon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZZ08icGvlQ&t=855s

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

fallenturtle posted:

Do you know what they call it in Virginia when you cause someone to have a heart attack during the commission of a crime? Second degree murder. He should look sidelong at that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

fallenturtle posted:

God loving dammit. How is he this big of a loving moron?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

God loving dammit. How is he this big of a loving moron?

Too much food, not enough exercise. Anyone got a video summary for those of us unable/unwilling to give views to Sargy?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BigRed0427 posted:

And she's not going to turn into Laci Green. Stop that. If/when the sex tape between her and the Golden One get's released then I'l entertain that idea but...god dammit. Please trust Trans people on this stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I am very aware (mental health issues) how much of an rear end in a top hat and how many wrong opinions I probably have, but it seems like people aren't allowed to be mistaken or an accidental poo poo on occasion without people piling up to go "All of your ideas are fake and you are horrible". It just seems like people who have never truly scrutinised themselves to understand that often you are the rear end in a top hat.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Somfin posted:

Too much food, not enough exercise. Anyone got a video summary for those of us unable/unwilling to give views to Sargy?

He's live-commenting on a video, and it mentions the death of Heather Heyer (the woman who was killed by the nazi in Charlottesville). His immediate response is "How did she die again? Oh yeah, she had a heart attack." [side-eyes at the camera]

Which I guess is something they're pushing in the Nazi community? I don't know if it's supposed to be "she got hit by a car, and then completely coincidentally had a heart attack, therefore the Nazi did nothing wrong when he hit her with a car," or "she died of a heart attack and the mainstream media false flag crisis actors Benghazi, therefore that Nazi did nothing wrong," or what.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

fallenturtle posted:

Fat carl is legitimately a piece of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know if the fat guy with the fat guy voice can make jokes about a fat person dying from a heart attack.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
He's not fat, he's just unpleasantly plump.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

He's live-commenting on a video, and it mentions the death of Heather Heyer (the woman who was killed by the nazi in Charlottesville). His immediate response is "How did she die again? Oh yeah, she had a heart attack." [side-eyes at the camera]

Which I guess is something they're pushing in the Nazi community? I don't know if it's supposed to be "she got hit by a car, and then completely coincidentally had a heart attack, therefore the Nazi did nothing wrong when he hit her with a car," or "she died of a heart attack and the mainstream media false flag crisis actors Benghazi, thereforce that Nazi did nothing wrong," or what.

Wait, what? :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Which I guess is something they're pushing in the Nazi community? I don't know if it's supposed to be "she got hit by a car, and then completely coincidentally had a heart attack, therefore the Nazi did nothing wrong when he hit her with a car," or "she died of a heart attack and the mainstream media false flag crisis actors Benghazi, therefore that Nazi did nothing wrong," or what.

Yeah, the nazis were on damage control non-stop since the attack. First they just spammed claims that it was a black woman, then some random teenager in Michigan, I think they settled on "heart attack" and calling Heather Heyer a fat childless degenerate. To answer your question, it's all of the above, they don't care what actually happened.

• Locked thread